SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

"From the for-what-it’s-worth file, SDSU has played the 117th-most difficult schedule in Division I to this point, according to the Sagarin Ratings. NDSU is 210th in strength of schedule, last in the Valley. (The point: The Bison made good use of their larger budget in terms of crafting a schedule.)"-For what it's worth from Terry V in the Argus Leader.

"From the for-what-it’s-worth file, SDSU has played the 117th-most difficult schedule in Division I to this point, according to the Sagarin Ratings. NDSU is 210th in strength of schedule, last in the Valley. (The point: The Bison made good use of their larger budget in terms of crafting a schedule.)"-For what it's worth from Terry V in the Argus Leader.

Compare OOC schedules:

NDSU- vs Lafayette 2-4, vs St. Francis 1-6, at Minnesota 1-5

SDSU- vs Southern Utah 3-4, at Cal Poly 3-3, at Illinois 6-1 (currently ranked #23 AP)

Sagarin only includes DI games. So while Layafette and StFU hurt NDSU's strength of schedule, games against DII/DIII/NAIA do not hurt other schools.

Sagarin only includes DI games. So while Layafette and StFU hurt NDSU's strength of schedule, games against DII/DIII/NAIA do not hurt other schools.

http://masseyratings.../rate.php?lg=cf

According to Massey: schedule against all teams played (every college football team)

NDSU schedule is 172 (there are 2 Jr. Colleges have have tougher schedules played than NDSU...Mesa CC (162), and E. Miss. CC (165)

SDSU schedule is 112

UND is 185 and that includes the games against Black Hills St and Montana Western.

http://masseyratings.../rate.php?lg=cf

According to Massey: schedule against all teams played (every college football team)

NDSU schedule is 172 (there are 2 Jr. Colleges have have tougher schedules played than NDSU...Mesa CC (162), and E. Miss. CC (165)

If you beleive Massey, two Jr. Colleges have played tougher schedules than UND.... and also have better records.

I think I'd rather follow the NDSU scheduling path than the SDSU brutality. Schedule winnable games at home, finish with no more than 3 conference losses, and take your chances with the playoff selections. Based on last year NDSU is in a position where, depending of course how the rest of the ranked teams shake out, they may have 3 games to give.

I think I'd rather follow the NDSU scheduling path than the SDSU brutality. Schedule winnable games at home, finish with no more than 3 conference losses, and take your chances with the playoff selections. Based on last year NDSU is in a position where, depending of course how the rest of the ranked teams shake out, they may have 3 games to give.

They are certainly in good shape this year. That type of schedule is ideal as conference play will take it out of you by the end(Big Sky and MVFC).

If you beleive Massey, two Jr. Colleges have played tougher schedules than UND.... and also have better records.

But UND never had this quote directed at their school:

The point: The Bison made good use of their larger budget in terms of crafting a schedule.)"-For what it's worth from Terry V in the Argus Leader

The moral is schedule Cupcake A and Cupcake B, play the worst FBS team and get into the playoffs.

WHO GIVES A RIP? Rankings matter at the end of the season to help with playoff selection. UND isn't eligible this year, and won't schedule more than 1 cupcake a year after this season unless they are forced to, just like NDSU was forced to schedule a few due to people backing out of their contracts.

Can't we all just get along?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now the nickname issue is over at least until 2015....lets get Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin on the phone!!

Here's an idea: buy out the South Dakota School of Mines game and replace it with a money game vs. one of the programs listed above. Yes, we would lose a home game, but this would be a case of addition by subtraction! I would rather drive 300 miles to watch us play the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium than sit in the Alerus Center for 3 hours to watch us play the freaking "Hard Rockers". :angry: I want that game off the schedule!

• Upvote 1

No, bag the Mines game and sign up another home and home with USD. They'd have to agree to playing in GF in 2012 and Vermillion in 2013 but I'd hope they do that to keep the rivalry going. Then play at Vermillion again in 2014 and GF in 2015. Continuing the series with the Yotes makes too much sense. It's a good draw and will also bring in some opposing fans and ensure on drivable road trip every other year.

If the Mines game were cancelled, UND still has open dates for all four of those seasons, so you can sign a four year deal with South Dakota if the open dates match up.

No, bag the Mines game and sign up another home and home with USD. They'd have to agree to playing in GF in 2012 and Vermillion in 2013 but I'd hope they do that to keep the rivalry going. Then play at Vermillion again in 2014 and GF in 2015. Continuing the series with the Yotes makes too much sense. It's a good draw and will also bring in some opposing fans and ensure on drivable road trip every other year.

If the Mines game were cancelled, UND still has open dates for all four of those seasons, so you can sign a four year deal with South Dakota if the open dates match up.

This is also an excellent idea. Anything but games against NAIA or transitional D-II programs.

Yotes have 5 home games next year (4 in the MVFC - NDSU, UNI, Illinois State & Western Illinois plus out of conference home game against Colgate) and 4 road games in the MVFC plus at Northwestern, so the Yotes do have an open date and with 5 FCS home games I would sure be in favor of a 2 year home & home with UND with 2012 in Grand Forks. If it doesn't happen does kind of seem right for last game in the long standing series to be for a share of the Great West title.

Here's an idea: buy out the South Dakota School of Mines game and replace it with a money game vs. one of the programs listed above. Yes, we would lose a home game, but this would be a case of addition by subtraction! I would rather drive 300 miles to watch us play the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium than sit in the Alerus Center for 3 hours to watch us play the freaking "Hard Rockers". :angry: I want that game off the schedule!

I'll go out on a limb & say that MN, Wisc & Iowa already have their 2012 schedules set, probably have for quite some time. Most teams do at this point.

I don't want to see Mines on the schedule either but it will be difficult now to find a quality opponent that is still available in week 1.

I'd love to see the series w/ USD continue but not sure that it's possible for the next few years. I've heard from some people "in the know" at UND that there might be a little more bad blood between the 2 athletic depts than most fans realize, due to the backing out of the Big Sky deal. I'm not trying to throw USD under the bus, they did what was best for their programs, just saying it might be a few years before we see UND & USD compete again.