SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Drake is a dog. You will find out that next season. I'd say Lindenwood (I know they are NAIA) would beat Drake pretty handily. Yes, we have two sub D1s on the schedule but it is worth it to have 6 home games. Last year in transition, nothing to play for but the GWFC, might as well have some fun. EWU will be fun and it will be cool to see the Yotes take on the Badgers. I'm not calling for the upset in that one but...but Wiscy is known to start out the season slow. A few years back Poly had them on the ropes. You never know.

We might not beat the Badgers but I'll put the USD drinking team up against the Wisconsin drunks any day of the week.

Ha. Ever been to Camp Randall or Madison on game day??? Sorry, but there might not be a fan-base in the country that can out-drink the Badger fans on a Saturday afternoon. You'll love trying though! ;)

It's an awesome experience, enjoy the game. I'd take Bielema hangin' 70 on us just to go there again. If you haven't noticed he's not shy about running it up, whether it's a Big Ten team or Austin Peay. So, good luck.

So you are calling an NAIA team a legit opponent and NOT a dog? By that standard you must have been thrilled when we played Sioux Falls two years ago because they were the NAIA National Champion.

They have two dogs and we have three.

Actually we have 4... 3 Non DI's and Drake (zero scholarships makes them a dog)...Just like an Ivy School would be for an FBS team. USD has 2, but I would trade schedules with them in a heart beat.

Cal Poly played them near the end of the year as I recall and led until the last few minutes and had the ball moving when time ran out. Poly had some game and UW took them too lightly. May happen again. Good luck Coyotes. Wish UND had a marquee game like this. As an alum I am very disappointed. The nickname has hurt us more in FB than in any other sport.

You're kind of always disappointed aren't you?

• Upvote 1

Cal Poly played them near the end of the year as I recall and led until the last few minutes and had the ball moving when time ran out. Poly had some game and UW took them too lightly. May happen again. Good luck Coyotes. Wish UND had a marquee game like this. As an alum I am very disappointed. The nickname has hurt us more in FB than in any other sport.

You can't blame this one on the nickname. Wisconsin and Iowa came out shortly after the settlement agreement and said they would go with the NCAA sanctions list on whether to schedule a school with an Indian nickname. So as soon as UND entered into the settlement agreement, they've been eligible to play Wisconsin and Iowa. I don't know if Faison isn't trying to get Wisconsin on the schedule or it just hasn't worked out, but given UND's longstanding rivalry with Wisconsin in hockey, it seems a football matchup would be a good fit for both schools.

You're kind of always disappointed aren't you?

[/quote

Yup, my expectations are high for my alma mater and I want to see it succeed and be visible on a national stage even more than it does now. If you want to settle for mediocrity and only a local presence that is ok by me, but I expect more from UND, its alums, and its athletic endeavors. No reason UND should play second fiddle to anyone.

Next year's schedule is what it is. We'll probably never really know how much effort was expended to get better teams, if the nickname issue played a factor, if ending transition with a winning team was more important than the competition, etc.... I think we make judgments based on 2012 and beyond. I'm guessing, starting then, we'll see 8 conference games, one FBS game, one FCS game against a regional rival (NDSU, USD, UNI, SDSU) and one more, possibly against a DII team. Personally, I'd like to see us play NDSU and USD every year or alternate between them, but when even Montana, Montana State and most of the BSC teams play a DII team I'm guessing you'll see one of them on the schedule from time-to-time. I don't think we can count on Drake much...they're bound to get tired of the beatings they're taking by scholarship FCS teams.

Yup, my expectations are high for my alma mater and I want to see it succeed and be visible on a national stage even more than it does now. If you want to settle for mediocrity and only a local presence that is ok by me, but I expect more from UND, its alums, and its athletic endeavors. No reason UND should play second fiddle to anyone.

Show me where I have said that I dont have high expectations for my UND (my alma mater) and dont want the best for it. Also, where I said I will settle for mediocrity?

Do I agree with everything they do and have done? No. But I dont come on here with my hair on fire and start acting like the sky is falling every time something happens that I dont like. Is that prerequisite in order to not play second fiddle to anyone? It's one thing to be objective, which is great. It's entirely another to be overtly pessimistic and negative all the time. Some people ONLY are heard on here when the bad stuff happens, and I despise that.

The overall climate on this board has changed dramatically over the last 2 years or so. I wouldnt say for the better either. I dont frequent here as much as I used to because of it.

Sorry for getting off-topic. I will now yield to the topic at hand...

Listen, you guys cant have it both ways. You all say that we need to have ALL FCS schools on our schedule. So they have Drake on the schedule, an FCS school, and now they arent good enough and you are lumping them in with NAIA teams.

Get used to seeing Drake level teams because having 8 Big Sky team and 1 FBS on the schedule demands they schedule some sort of a winnable game. Look to the south if you want an example.

I'm great with Drake on the schedule if you take away the other 3. I'm okay with one "dog" a year on the schedule...but lets not pretend that Drake football is something that it isn't. What would Nebraska fans think if it had 1 Ivy and 3 FCS Schools?

I'm great with Drake on the schedule if you take away the other 3. I'm okay with one "dog" a year on the schedule...but lets not pretend that Drake football is something that it isn't. What would Nebraska fans think if it had 1 Ivy and 3 FCS Schools?

If they didn't have a conference to spoon feed them 8 games every year, it would probably be a pretty ugly schedule if they needed to make a quick, ONE YEAR schedule. It wouldn't be lower level teams but it would be 1 FCS and a bunch of terrible FBS teams. And don't use Nebraska as an example, my god. They can buy 6-7 home games without even thinking about finances.

Show me where I have said that I dont have high expectations for my UND (my alma mater) and dont want the best for it. Also, where I said I will settle for mediocrity?

Do I agree with everything they do and have done? No. But I dont come on here with my hair on fire and start acting like the sky is falling every time something happens that I dont like. Is that prerequisite in order to not play second fiddle to anyone? It's one thing to be objective, which is great. It's entirely another to be overtly pessimistic and negative all the time. Some people ONLY are heard on here when the bad stuff happens, and I despise that.

The overall climate on this board has changed dramatically over the last 2 years or so. I wouldnt say for the better either. I dont frequent here as much as I used to because of it.

Well said!!!

Amen to that!

Seconded.

OK, I'll make it a third.

Reading other message boards, I think SS.com has by far the most negative posters whether the subject is the football schedule, the city of Grand Forks, UND leadership or coaches, or almost any other topic ... except hockey.

OK, I'll make it a third.

Reading other message boards, I think SS.com has by far the most negative posters whether the subject is the football schedule, the city of Grand Forks, UND leadership or coaches, or almost any other topic ... except hockey.

Sometimes we all need a reminder how good we have things. If reading the following article doesn't change some people's perspective I'm afraid nothing will. My sincere condolences to the family....

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/191509/

We aren't operating in a vacuum here. People aren't here pissing and moaning because all things considered are bad. From what I have read in this thread, and I agree with them, is that things are COMPARATIVELY bad. The general consensus is that compared to our peers in this region, the UND football schedule in the transition has been inferior to our peers. Many fans won't tolerate the excuses when our peers are finding ways to do off the field, what the fans, and the athletic administration, asks of Sioux athletes on the field-to get it done! Some of you don't agree. That's fine. If this isn't the most convenient forum to debate such things amongst fans then what is?

• Upvote 2

We aren't operating in a vacuum here. People aren't here pissing and moaning because all things considered are bad. From what I have read in this thread, and I agree with them, is that things are COMPARATIVELY bad. The general consensus is that compared to our peers in this region, the UND football schedule in the transition has been inferior to our peers. Many fans won't tolerate the excuses when our peers are finding ways to do off the field, what the fans, and the athletic administration, asks of Sioux athletes on the field-to get it done! Some of you don't agree. That's fine. If this isn't the most convenient forum to debate such things amongst fans then what is?

I doubt anyone on this board opposes good debate; that's what interests most of us that are here. That, and the good information that is picked up. It's when constant bashing and harsh criticism is passed off as debate that turns people off. Constantly bashing and harshly criticizing rather than debating accomplishes nothing positive. I enjoy a good, lively debate, as well as the information on recruiting, etc., that some of the posters are able to give the rest of us.

Unfortunately, I don't think hockey is exempt either. Tom Miller's recent article hit the nail on the head.

Fire Hak?.....really? :sad:

I don't thnk that it's possible to go an entire year without someone calling for Hakstol's job. Just like any other team we have a lot of good fans and supportered and some idiots.

Vince,

I agree with some of the things you are saying but as you know I am passionate about UND too but lets face it. We are seeing more "pessimistic" comments due to questionable decisions made within the past couple of years that we have never had to make before. Plus not all the decisions that have been made by administration personal have paid off and we now suffer on and off the field because of it. It is two fold, part of the transition and part of turnover in administration. At this current time at UND some feel there is a trend of questionable decisions being made which have affected us negatively in our transition while our core Dakota schools seem to have stuck together in the end leaving us in a separate conference. Not saying it is good or bad but it is a fact right now. Everyone has their own opinion and with social media these days, you are going to here about it if you go on a message board. Also, UND is not winning at the rate we are use to. You will always hear more comments when you are losing than winning but more importantly you have to look at everything with an open view point. It is never bad to debate a move but don't always think it is pissing and mooning if someone comes on and questions what UND is doing. The hardest thing about messages boards is determining someones mood or emotion about their post.

Peace!

Vince,

I agree with some of the things you are saying but as you know I am passionate about UND too but lets face it. We are seeing more "pessimistic" comments due to questionable decisions made within the past couple of years that we have never had to make before. Plus not all the decisions that have been made by administration personal have paid off and we now suffer on and off the field because of it. It is two fold, part of the transition and part of turnover in administration. At this current time at UND some feel there is a trend of questionable decisions being made which have affected us negatively in our transition while our core Dakota schools seem to have stuck together in the end leaving us in a separate conference. Not saying it is good or bad but it is a fact right now. Everyone has their own opinion and with social media these days, you are going to here about it if you go on a message board. Also, UND is not winning at the rate we are use to. You will always hear more comments when you are losing than winning but more importantly you have to look at everything with an open view point. It is never bad to debate a move but don't always think it is pissing and mooning if someone comes on and questions what UND is doing. The hardest thing about messages boards is determining someones mood or emotion about their post.

Peace!

Again, objectivity and debate are great. Never said anything to the contrary. I too question what UND does and how they do things at times, both administratively and in athletic competitions.

Go back and re-read what I wrote:

Curious what made you reply to that......did you feel like I was calling you out? :ohmy:

Again, objectivity and debate are great. Never said anything to the contrary. I too question what UND does and how they do things at times, both administratively and in athletic competitions.

Go back and re-read what I wrote:

Curious what made you reply to that......did you feel like I was calling you out? :ohmy:

lol....I could give a $hit it you feel that way....good for you! My main point if you read my post again, was that I agree with you on a few things but we are on a message board so what do you expect. Everyone is going to post things and hide behind an alias. Some wear greener glasses than others. :blush: What made me reply to this post? The fact that if someone goes against UND on here they are "supposedly called out". Just like you came back and said......pretty damn interesting!

Also, my other points were we are in a transition with a trending of questionable decisions, we aren't winning, other regional schools stuck together. Oh and you called me out :)

Sorry for too many facts in this posts!

lol....I could give a $hit it you feel that way....good for you! My main point if you read my post again, was that I agree with you on a few things but we are on a message board so what do you expect. Everyone is going to post things and hide behind an alias. Some wear greener glasses than others. :blush: What made me reply to this post? The fact that if someone goes against UND on here they are "supposedly called out". Just like you came back and said......pretty damn interesting!

Also, my other points were we are in a transition with a trending of questionable decisions, we aren't winning, other regional schools stuck together. Oh and you called me out :)

Sorry for too many facts in this posts!

I did? :huh:

I did? :huh:

Since we need to be straight forward it was sarcasm.

It does go back to one of my points, on a message board you can't tell the mood/emotion of a post. Thus, some posts in certain peoples minds will always be negative it they don't see it the same way.

Out, won't reply to anything else Vince!

My wish list regarding continuing the USD-UND series

1) Continue playing the game annually on a home & home basis

2) If you can figure out a way to keep the Sioux name, also reinstate the Sitting Bull trophy (the trophy has a great tradition & was the topic of an article in Sports Illustrated several years ago). If done the right way, the game could serve as a way for both Universities to continue reaching out to Native American population.