SiouxSports.com Forum

Buffalo bidding as US host for 2011 World Juniors

star2city

Buffalo seeks top amateur hockey tourney

An effort to land one of amateur hockey's most prestigious tournaments has received a boost from New York state's U.S. senators.

Both Sen. Charles Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton have written letters of support on Buffalo's behalf as the city attempts to secure the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation's "World Under 20 Championships." The nearly two-week long event, held annually in late December and early january, brings together some of the world's top amateur-level men's ice hockey players, many of whom have either been drafted by National Hockey League teams.

Buffalo's bid is being put together by the Buffalo Niagara Convention & Visitors Bureau and the Buffalo Sabres. Neither organization would comment on the bid.

Bids are due to USA Hockey, which select the host city, by early August.

• 1 month later...
I sincerely hope REA doesn't get it. The last thing we need is more of REA wasting UND's marketing dollars on events like this instead of promoting UND events like they should be.

I do not agree with your logic. I think that the REA winning this bid would be HUGE! For the city, for the state, for the university, for the hockey team...

REA wasting UND's marketing dollars on events like this instead of promoting UND events like they should be.

How do you figure that it's a waste of money? :)

The REA does not belong to the U. One of the stipulations of the gift was that the REA be self sufficient. Events like this bring in tens, hundreds, of thousands of dollars for the facility and the community. Exactly what Ralph intended when he gifted the money.

I see no waste.

How do you figure that it's a waste of money? :)

The REA does not belong to the U. One of the stipulations of the gift was that the REA be self sufficient. Events like this bring in tens, hundreds, of thousands of dollars for the facility and the community. Exactly what Ralph intended when he gifted the money.

I see no waste.

No, the REA is essentially a leach. UND fronts the bill for the REA's chief tenant (UND Hockey). REA keeps all revenue associated with ticket fees, concessions, etc. REA then wastes this money on their other assorted business ventures (World Juniors, Marketing REA events such as WJ's) and then when the time comes to distribute any profit back to the university there is little to none left. UND is then left holding the bag as our supposed "revenue sport" doesn't bring in any cash because REA has taken all of it.

No, the REA is essentially a leach. UND fronts the bill for the REA's chief tenant (UND Hockey). REA keeps all revenue associated with ticket fees, concessions, etc. REA then wastes this money on their other assorted business ventures (World Juniors, Marketing REA events such as WJ's) and then when the time comes to distribute any profit back to the university there is little to none left. UND is then left holding the bag as our supposed "revenue sport" doesn't bring in any cash because REA has taken all of it.

i am afraid you are wrong on this issue! REA gives money back to the university each year for being the main tenant! and if you still dont believe me here is Jody Hodgson's email jodyh@theralph.com

i am afraid you are wrong on this issue! REA gives money back to the university each year for being the main tenant! and if you still dont believe me here is Jody Hodgson's email jodyh@theralph.com

Yeah, and don't you think REA could give even more money back to the university if it wasn't paying Hodgson and a number of other REA administrators salaries that exceed those of similar positions already within the UND athletic department or if they weren't running costly marketing campaigns for REA events that will utilize UND's facilities but provide litte benefit at all to any of our athletic teams or the athletic department. Where do you think that money comes from? Wouldn't it be put to better use by UND in paying it's own administrators and coaches or in marketing UND's athletic teams and events?

Yeah, and don't you think REA could give even more money back to the university if it wasn't paying Hodgson and a number of other REA administrators salaries that exceed those of similar positions already within the UND athletic department or if they weren't running costly marketing campaigns for REA events that will utilize UND's facilities but provide litte benefit at all to any of our athletic teams or the athletic department. Where do you think that money comes from? Wouldn't it be put to better use by UND in paying it's own administrators and coaches or in marketing UND's athletic teams and events?

The goal of these outside events is to make a profit after paying for staff time, marketing and all other expenses. That profit goes back to UND Athletics to help pay for staff salaries and scholarships. That is what Ralph envisioned when he built the facility. And it works. The REA made a profit on the last World Juniors. They have 2 concerts scheduled for this fall that will do very well financially. The REA didn't return much money to the athletic department the first few years, but that has changed, especially since Mr. Hodgson took the reins. If they didn't do outside events there would be no profits that could be turned over to the athletic department, they would have to live off just the revenue from Sioux sports.

I think you have something against the hockey program in general and complain about it and things associated with it.

An event like the World Juniors can only help UND. Even if it lost some money, the regional economic impact and status of hosting a marquee event successfully only helps UND and the community. The Canadian publicity is incredible, which can only help recruiting Canada in other sports (e.g. the recently recruited Quebec football players). The challenge for AD is to use the success of hockey to brand the entire athletic program at the DI level.

It's interesting that Moorhead (not Fargo and the Urban Plains) became the partner in the bid. Politics of GF(UND) vs. Fargo (NDSU) with Fargo leaders not wanting to be the lower level partner? Moorhead leaders and hockey boosters have no such constraints.

While the REA's financials might be proprietary, certainly information on UND's revenue stream is not. As a governmental entitity I am confident that the $$ it receives from any contributor is public information. Hence, the information should be out there somewhere. Can someone put this argument to rest by sharing the facts?

• 3 weeks later...
I agree, with Buffalo near such a large Canadian population base, they may be very attractive to the committee.

I also wonder how much of a factor it will be that both the Twin Cities and Grand Forks have already hosted it. As you mention, Buffalo is a very good location for Canadians to get to, so I would assume that it would be well-attended and would make money in Buffalo. So being that Buffalo has never hosted it yet I wonder if they have the inside track.

I agree, with Buffalo near such a large Canadian population base, they may be very attractive to the committee.

Yeah they will be a strong big because Buffalo is very close to Toronto, and Buffalo would attrack a very large group of Canadians coming down from Ontario.

An event like the World Juniors can only help UND. Even if it lost some money, the regional economic impact and status of hosting a marquee event successfully only helps UND and the community. The Canadian publicity is incredible, which can only help recruiting Canada in other sports (e.g. the recently recruited Quebec football players). The challenge for AD is to use the success of hockey to brand the entire athletic program at the DI level.

It's interesting that Moorhead (not Fargo and the Urban Plains) became the partner in the bid. Politics of GF(UND) vs. Fargo (NDSU) with Fargo leaders not wanting to be the lower level partner? Moorhead leaders and hockey boosters have no such constraints.

I don't think it has anything to do with Fargo leaders not wanting to be the lower level partner. IMO, it is a clash of the ego's of those running the REA and those running the UP Center. I don't think those at UP left on the best of terms with REA. From what I've heard the UP wasn't even contacted by the REA. I wish both venues could have worked things out, maybe in a few years.

I think Moorhead actually makes more sense, since you then officially include Minnesota in the bid. That probably means something to USA hockey. I also think the UP center would probably be too large to be the secondary facility. You know they will load all the USA and Canada games into a ticket package for REA, so the smaller rink will have less attractive games. Attendance at REA TRF was pretty weak and that was with Russia (and Alex Ovechkin) playing there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...