SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West to become All Sports Conference?

dakotadan

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't say they did. Face it - the GWC is only a scheduling alliance nothing more.

I can't help but chuckle when I see these comments about scheduling alliances. In reality, that is what a conference is. I'm curious to read what you think is the difference.

The average UND fan DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE. Point in case.... I work with several UND alums who I would classify as being very rabbid fans. When the news broke about the conference, I had 3 coworkers bust into my office spouting on about how UND is doing so much better than NDSU (in its transition) because it found a conference.... After some debate, there was no reasoning with them.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. At this point in NDSU's transition, NDSU had no arrangements to assure scheduling whereas UND has an arrangement to help in its scheduling therefore NDSU's unknown situation and uncertainty in scheduling is light years ahead of UND's know ability to handle its scheduling for its team at this particular point in its transition compared to where NDSU was at exactly the same particular point in its transition. I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. At this point in NDSU's transition, NDSU had no arrangements to assure scheduling whereas UND has an arrangement to help in its scheduling therefore NDSU's unknown situation and uncertainty in scheduling is light years ahead of UND's know ability to handle its scheduling for its team at this particular point in its transition compared to where NDSU was at exactly the same particular point in its transition. I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

You could always schedule the DI independents that are joining the GWC. They are always looking for games. Good luck with it and may you have many years of success against that talented and exciting bunch joining the GWC.

You could always schedule the DI independents that are joining the GWC. They are always looking for games. Good luck with it and may you have many years of success against that talented and exciting bunch joining the GWC.

Why do you insist of arguing about this topic? Go away for awhile, give us a break from your green and gold point of view. We got it, we know what you think of our new conference.

We as UND fans had to sit and listen to your hype machine spin out of control for 4 years. So why don

Why do you insist of arguing about this topic? Go away for awhile, give us a break from your green and gold point of view. We got it, we know what you think of our new conference.

We as UND fans had to sit and listen to your hype machine spin out of control for 4 years. So why don

Wow! The reality as an independent is that you are always uncertain about the ability to schedule games even with other independents. A conference, or scheduling alliance, whichever you wish to call them as all conferences, new or old, are scheduling alliance at their core, insures a certain amount of scheduled games. The fact that you wish to have UND have difficulty scheduling games speaks volumes. From your perspective NDSU did this for football and basketball and it is good; UND does this and it is bad. Enough said!

Wow! The reality as an independent is that you are always uncertain about the ability to schedule games even with other independents. A conference, or scheduling alliance, whichever you wish to call them as all conferences, new or old, are scheduling alliance at their core, insures a certain amount of scheduled games. The fact that you wish to have UND have difficulty scheduling games speaks volumes. From your perspective NDSU did this for football and basketball and it is good; UND does this and it is bad. Enough said!

Those teams joining the GWC are teams that you could ALWAYS schedule. It's just that you don't really want to if you don't have too. There's nothing to be gained by playing them, they're bottom of the barrel schools. I don't care about und scheduling games but if you think for a second that this arrangement will make scheduling of good teams easier it won't.

Those teams joining the GWC are teams that you could ALWAYS schedule. It's just that you don't really want to if you don't have too. There's nothing to be gained by playing them, they're bottom of the barrel schools. I don't care about und scheduling games but if you think for a second that this arrangement will make scheduling of good teams easier it won't.

Dan...you don't give yourself enough credit. You really DO care about UND. You are one of the most passionate followers we have. Your on this site all the time. I'm assuming you don't have a job, but if you ever look for a job I'm sure there are lots of loyal Sioux fans that would give a reference. For the special attention you give us, we owe you it to you to help you get a job. Thanks for everything.

Dan...you don't give yourself enough credit. You really DO care about UND. You are one of the most passionate followers we have. Your on this site all the time. I'm assuming you don't have a job, but if you ever look for a job I'm sure there are lots of loyal Sioux fans that would give a reference. For the special attention you give us, we owe you it to you to help you get a job. Thanks for everything.

He does work...in polymers and coating. :lol: Which would explain why he has so much time on his hands. (See Sports Marketing thread post #66)

Been gone a while (Cancun is hot and the girls hotter this time of year) and noticed that NJIT signed on. I'm guessing this is the same mens bball team that will be setting a record of futility with there first two losses this year? Something like 33 straight going in. Sac St. holds the record currently. Could we actually be able to guarantee a mens basketball win?

Dan, nothing is guaranteed when trying to arrange a schedule with independents. You might be correct that these particular teams might be easier to schedule but to state that you could always schedule them is wrong. Nothing is that certain with independents. I would have thought with the experience between UND and NDSU where it was always thought that the two teams could and would always schedule each other for various sports - a comparison that has shown that it is not always the case - would have provided some enlightenment on the uncertainty of scheduling but from your comments, I guess not. Again, its interesting that from NDSU's fans perspective that it is good when NDSU schedules teams like the NJ school but bad when UND does.

Been gone a while (Cancun is hot and the girls hotter this time of year) and noticed that NJIT signed on. I'm guessing this is the same mens bball team that will be setting a record of futility with there first two losses this year? Something like 33 straight going in. Sac St. holds the record currently. Could we actually be able to guarantee a mens basketball win?

Guarantee is too strong a word but highly likely perhaps.

Let me get this straight when the Bi-sons were in the Great West not only was it quickly referred to as a conference, never an "affliation" but they bought rings when they won this "conference/affiliation" championship and even let the seniors into the "Hallowed Green and Gold Locker Room" a room that had not seen the light of day in many years. When the Bi-son were in the Great West it wasn't "a bunch of independents that anyone could schedule" it was immediately among "the top 5 conferences in the US". When the Bi-son were in the Great West it wasn't "a bunch of bottom feeders" it was "one of the toughest conferences in the US. When the Bi-son were in the Great West Affiliation and beating these so-called bottom feeders it was a crime that they weren't allowed to compete for the national championship . .. need I go on, I'm feeling a little green and gold around the gills.

You're reading too much into it. Bi can also mean "two" as in two opinions depending on which fits your needs. What about those who use Sewage, Sue, etc under the bison flag can we assume they are also 11 years old?

Let me get this straight when the Bi-sons were in the Great West not only was it quickly referred to as a conference, never an "affliation" but they bought rings when they won this "conference/affiliation" championship and even let the seniors into the "Hallowed Green and Gold Locker Room" a room that had not seen the light of day in many years. When the Bi-son were in the Great West it wasn't "a bunch of independents that anyone could schedule" it was immediately among "the top 5 conferences in the US". When the Bi-son were in the Great West it wasn't "a bunch of bottom feeders" it was "one of the toughest conferences in the US. When the Bi-son were in the Great West Affiliation and beating these so-called bottom feeders it was a crime that they weren't allowed to compete for the national championship . .. need I go on, I'm feeling a little green and gold around the gills.

NDSU was part of the United Basketball conference or ALLIANCE whatever you want to call it, in their early transition also. And I find nothing wrong with UND and USD being a part of the same concept, but to say the Great West FOOTBALL Conference was full of bottom feeders shows your ignorance!! Cal Poly is one of the HIGHLY respected FCS programs in the nation and UC-Davis is right up there, so yes it was highly touted when a transitioning team could play and beat a top ranked and established FCS team, as UND will find out in the coming years.

Here is the link to the still active website for the ALLIANCE for all those interested

http://www.unitedbasketballconference.com/

NDSU was part of the United Basketball conference or ALLIANCE whatever you want to call it, in their early transition also. And I find nothing wrong with UND and USD being a part of the same concept, but to say the Great West FOOTBALL Conference was full of bottom feeders shows your ignorance!! Cal Poly is one of the HIGHLY respected FCS programs in the nation and UC-Davis is right up there, so yes it was highly touted when a transitioning team could play and beat a top ranked and established FCS team, as UND will find out in the coming years.

Here is the link to the still active website for the ALLIANCE for all those interested

http://www.unitedbasketballconference.com/

I believe CMSioux was being sarcastic, but aside from that point you know full well the first time UND knocks off Cal Poly or UC Davis we'll hear nothing but pissing and moaning from Fargo about how both of those programs are so poor that it doesn't matter if UND beats them.

I believe CMSioux was being sarcastic, but aside from that point you know full well the first time UND knocks off Cal Poly or UC Davis we'll hear nothing but pissing and moaning from Fargo about how both of those programs are so poor that it doesn't matter if UND beats them.

DL i wasn't implying you wouldn't beat Poly, I was just stating that the same hype will be put into that as the first time SU beat them. I for one hope you guys do have the same games we did with Poly and Davis We thumped each team just to come back the next year and get thumped by them, all very exciting, wasn't trash talkin!!

DL i wasn't implying you wouldn't beat Poly, I was just stating that the same hype will be put into that as the first time SU beat them. I for one hope you guys do have the same games we did with Poly and Davis We thumped each team just to come back the next year and get thumped by them, all very exciting, wasn't trash talkin!!

No misunderstanding here, I was simply predicting that any future UND win over Cal Poly or UC Davis would no doubt be marginalized by a great deal of Bison fans as insignifcant in the same manner as UND's victories over Northern Iowa and Southern Utah were marginalized. The attitude in Fargo seems to be that any team the Bison plays is a good or great team when they take on NDSU, but suddently becomes a poor team when that same squad takes on UND. It's a generally poor argument by Bison fans, but seems to be common theme anytime a UND team accomplishes a significant victory.

No misunderstanding here, I was simply predicting that any future UND win over Cal Poly or UC Davis would no doubt be marginalized by a great deal of Bison fans as insignifcant in the same manner as UND's victories over Northern Iowa and Southern Utah were marginalized. The attitude in Fargo seems to be that any team the Bison plays is a good or great team when they take on NDSU, but suddently becomes a poor team when that same squad takes on UND. It's a generally poor argument by Bison fans, but seems to be common theme anytime a UND team accomplishes a significant victory.

Not disagreeing with you, but you have to admit its a 2-way street on that!! Fans from both schools have done nothing but beat each other down no matter who they play or what accomplishments they have received, and quite frankly its damn stupid. I have said nothing negative about UND or the GWC and GWFC, but you apparently read between the lines to find negativity, not ALL Bison fans feel that way.

Not disagreeing with you, but you have to admit its a 2-way street on that!! Fans from both schools have done nothing but beat each other down no matter who they play or what accomplishments they have received, and quite frankly its damn stupid.

So true. I think that the fact that one school, take your pick, has success encourages the other school's team with the result that the each team gets better.

I can't help but chuckle when I see these comments about scheduling alliances. In reality, that is what a conference is. I'm curious to read what you think is the difference.

Name a DI all-sport conference that doesn't have an auto-bid to march madness, ncaa baseball, volleyball, etc, etc, etc. That's right, there isn't one. Only the GWC, if you call it a conference.

Duping your the fans with "conference" talk . . . yes, I have a problem with that.

Name a DI all-sport conference that doesn't have an auto-bid to march madness, ncaa baseball, volleyball, etc, etc, etc. That's right, there isn't one. Only the GWC, if you call it a conference.

Duping your the fans with "conference" talk . . . yes, I have a problem with that.

Would this be similar to say.....

buying fake championship rings.....?