SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West to become All Sports Conference?

dakotadan

What difference does it make to you what the GF Herald calls it? If it isn't a true conference in your mind, why is it bothering you?

To those 'SU fans that are saying the GWC is the "same thing we had", why did UVU, NJIT and UTPA all hold press conferences claiming that they were in a new conference and how wonderful it is? This article claims that UTPA had been without a conference for 10 years. Did they not view their prior arrangement with NDSU as a conference?

UVU views this as a big step according to this piece. Did they just not understand that they had the same thing with NDSU?

As I've said before this is step 1 for UND and a probably a necessary step.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good step for und, I will agree. But if you going to do something like this, why wouldn't you just fight to take the whole NCC to DI, it's the same difference. You play for conference championships with no post season competition for 10-13 years.

But if you going to do something like this, why wouldn't you just fight to take the whole NCC to DI, it's the same difference. You play for conference championships with no post season competition for 10-13 years.
Can't believe you keep whining about this. The Great West all-sports contract is like a three-year rental agreement between six roommates for a big house. No one signing this agreement necessarily expects anything long-term to develop. If the whole NCC had gone DI, it would have been more like a mass wedding. But at least one and possibly two schools would already divorced and jumped to another conference, screwing everyone else with eight-ten years to go.

I'd sure the hell hope their not done, but the recent press conference and celebration sure makes it look like they are fat and happy on deer meat. Any reader of the Herald would assume that und has majically grabbed the brass ring. This is the right thing for UND, but Articles calling this a full scale conference are disingenuous at best.

UND set to join new conference

This is a good step for und, I will agree. But if you going to do something like this, why wouldn't you just fight to take the whole NCC to DI, it's the same difference. You play for conference championships with no post season competition for 10-13 years.

At times it's almost impossible to tell if some ndsu fans are really this stupid or if they simply take pleasure in pretending as if their head's are stuck in their asses. No one at either UND or ndsu actually believes that this is anything more than a short term solution to transition scheduling problems, pretending to be stupid regarding this only makes one look like a complete moron.

At times it's almost impossible to tell if some ndsu fans are really this stupid or if they simply take pleasure in pretending as if their head's are stuck in their asses. No one at either UND or ndsu actually believes that this is anything more than a short term solution to transition scheduling problems, pretending to be stupid regarding this only makes one look like a complete moron.

I agree.

It seems IMHO, the SU fans are worried that the GW might become something more than it is.

IMHO, The GW is a combination of schools that have found away to play each other for the next three years.Nothing more nothing less.

Or did I miss something? :lol:

We won't have to worry about much until 2022.

Assuming you can keep 6 members together you can get autobids then to everything except the MBB tourny.

But by that time the BE will have split. So there will be 32 conferences. Everything will be nice and even in DI.

So UND is done hunting, right? There is no way we will ever find a 5x5, we're stuck with this 4x4 forever.

That is what I don't understand about NDSU fans. NDSU found a conference within 5 years but there is no way in hell that UND is going to find one, they're screwed. Like its a race to NDSU or something. I am fairly confident these two schools are going to be around for a long long time to come.

With the moratorium on DI moves, I think UND is not at all in a good position to try and get in to an established conference. Because of this the Administration at UND realized that they had to do something, and so you see the resulting GWC. It is like going to bed with the fat girl.......you are getting something........and as long as you don't turn on the lights........and if you really use your imagination.....it is kinda the same........ :lol:

You may need to tell your AD, president and Wayne Nelson that. Anyone reading his article would assume that this is the best thing that has ever happened to und.

You may need to tell your AD, president and Wayne Nelson that. Anyone reading his article would assume that this is the best thing that has ever happened to und.

So a person from NDSU is making fun of UND for hyping up their move to Division 1. Wow. :lol:

Please provide a quote from Faison or Kelley where they say the GWC is a long term solution.

NDSU is notorious for over-hyping everything that happens on their campus. They call press conferences almost every day inj Fargo to announce that their going to be having a press conference. This whole conversation just illustrates how NDSU fans just can't get UND out of their system. They are obsessed with UND. Obviously the fact that UND is going to be in a conference through the transtion years has really hit a nerve in Fargo. You gotta love it!!!!!

There is a fundamental difference between the Summit and the GWC. The average UND fan DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE. Point in case.... I work with several UND alums who I would classify as being very rabbid fans. When the news broke about the conference, I had 3 coworkers bust into my office spouting on about how UND is doing so much better than NDSU (in its transition) because it found a conference.... After some debate, there was no reasoning with them.

I totally understand why UND would want to partner with the other schools however the creation of a "conference" was in my opinion is only a PR move meant to portray the transition to D1 as successful. I can guarantee that MOST UND fans are not as up to speed with what goes on as those who are members to this message board. This fleecing of the general public has worked wonders.

The transition for NDSU was difficult and I believe that a good number of NDSU fans are just wanting UND to be genuine with the general public. Nothing more.

I totally understand why UND would want to partner with the other schools however the creation of a "conference" was in my opinion is only a PR move meant to portray the transition to D1 as successful. I can guarantee that MOST UND fans are not as up to speed with what goes on as those who are members to this message board. This fleecing of the general public has worked wonders.

The transition for NDSU was difficult and I believe that a good number of NDSU fans are just wanting UND to be genuine with the general public. Nothing more.

"And can you feel the love tonight

It is where we are

It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer

That we got this far

And can you feel the love tonight

How it's laid to rest

It's enough to make kings and vagabonds

Believe the very best"

- Elton John

"Can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King

Didn't say they did. Face it - the GWC is only a scheduling alliance nothing more.

You said:

You are obviously implying that UND is trying to sell the GWC as a real conference. But the reality is that UND is doing no such thing. The Herald article specifically states that UND eventually wants to get into the Summit. If UND was trying to sell the GWC as the best thing ever, then why would it state it eventually wants to get in the Summit? Nobody is hyping this thing as the best thing ever.

When you say "face it - the GWC is only a scheduling alliance nothing more" it implies I think it is something more than that. I've already called it a "glorified scheduling alliance." UND fans on this board aren't pretending this is anything more than a short-term scheduling alliance that has a few other benefits like conference championships. In fact, NDSU fans seem to be the only people complaining about anything...and I honestly can't figure out why. This doesn't affect NDSU at all.

I'd sure the hell hope their not done, but the recent press conference and celebration sure makes it look like they are fat and happy on deer meat. Any reader of the Herald would assume that und has majically grabbed the brass ring. This is the right thing for UND, but Articles calling this a full scale conference are disingenuous at best.
Thank you for your concern. I'm sure it is quite genuine.

With the moratorium on DI moves, I think UND is not at all in a good position to try and get in to an established conference. Because of this the Administration at UND realized that they had to do something, and so you see the resulting GWC. It is like going to bed with the fat girl.......you are getting something........and as long as you don't turn on the lights........and if you really use your imagination.....it is kinda the same........ :lol:

You said: You are obviously implying that UND is trying to sell the GWC as a real conference. But the reality is that UND is doing no such thing. The Herald article specifically states that UND eventually wants to get into the Summit. If UND was trying to sell the GWC as the best thing ever, then why would it state it eventually wants to get in the Summit? Nobody is hyping this thing as the best thing ever.

When you say "face it - the GWC is only a scheduling alliance nothing more" it implies I think it is something more than that. I've already called it a "glorified scheduling alliance." UND fans on this board aren't pretending this is anything more than a short-term scheduling alliance that has a few other benefits like conference championships. In fact, NDSU fans seem to be the only people complaining about anything...and I honestly can't figure out why. This doesn't affect NDSU at all.

Ditto that !

There is a fundamental difference between the Summit and the GWC. The average UND fan DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE. Point in case.... I work with several UND alums who I would classify as being very rabbid fans. When the news broke about the conference, I had 3 coworkers bust into my office spouting on about how UND is doing so much better than NDSU (in its transition) because it found a conference.... After some debate, there was no reasoning with them.

I don't think UND officials have been disingenous. They specifically said they want to eventually get into the Summit, which tells the reader that the GWC is not a long term solution for UND. The article probably should have mentioned the extremely burdensome auto-bid criteria for new conferences so the reader would realize there is no chance the GWC will be a viable conference for the long term. That is a legitimate complaint for the writer, but not really for UND officials. They aren't going to crap all over the GWC the day they join it. So they say things like "three-year commitment" and that it's an "important next step" for UND athletics. It should be up to the writer to fill in the blanks.

But the less-than-stellar coverage by the Herald is not part of a grand conspiracy to fool UND fans. The simple explanation is that the Herald coverage of Sioux sports other than hockey is just not that good. The average poster on this board probably knows more about conference affiliation issues than the Herald writers. I think they need a younger guy like Schlossman, who does a fanstastic job covering Sioux hockey and regularly blogs even in the offseason. If the GWC had any effect on hockey, Schlossman would have been all over it in his stories and his blog.

I don't think UND officials have been disingenous. They specifically said they want to eventually get into the Summit, which tells the reader that the GWC is not a long term solution for UND. The article probably should have mentioned the extremely burdensome auto-bid criteria for new conferences so the reader would realize there is no chance the GWC will be a viable conference for the long term. That is a legitimate complaint for the writer, but not really for UND officials. They aren't going to crap all over the GWC the day they join it. So they say things like "three-year commitment" and that it's an "important next step" for UND athletics. It should be up to the writer to fill in the blanks.

But the less-than-stellar coverage by the Herald is not part of a grand conspiracy to fool UND fans. The simple explanation is that the Herald coverage of Sioux sports other than hockey is just not that good. The average poster on this board probably knows more about conference affiliation issues than the Herald writers. I think they need a younger guy like Schlossman, who does a fanstastic job covering Sioux hockey and regularly blogs even in the offseason. If the GWC had any effect on hockey, Schlossman would have been all over it in his stories and his blog.

What he said.

NDSU is notorious for over-hyping everything that happens on their campus. They call press conferences almost every day inj Fargo to announce that their going to be having a press conference. This whole conversation just illustrates how NDSU fans just can't get UND out of their system. They are obsessed with UND. Obviously the fact that UND is going to be in a conference through the transtion years has really hit a nerve in Fargo. You gotta love it!!!!!

Wow... You know absolutely NOTHING about NDSU, do you??