SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West to become All Sports Conference?

dakotadan

Name a DI all-sport conference that doesn't have an auto-bid to march madness, ncaa baseball, volleyball, etc, etc, etc. That's right, there isn't one. Only the GWC, if you call it a conference.

Duping your the fans with "conference" talk . . . yes, I have a problem with that.

Yes. NDSU fans that keep talking about how the NCC should have gone D1 - a DI all-sport conference that wouldn't have an auto-bid to march madness, ncaa baseball, volleyball, etc, etc, etc. even now after NDSU/SDSUs 5-year transition. Do you have a problem with that? I have yet to read of any NDSU fan that had a problem with the whole NCC going D1. Most people understand that a new conference or one moving up has a period where they don't get the autobids. Reality check, do you really believe that UND's men's basketball team is going to the NCAAs soon? If so, then you have more faith than do UND fans. The lack of an autobid is one of the prices that has to be paid.

Just curious, what do you feel a conference is? Let's make the premise that it is a new conference. Be very, very careful and remember what you stated and consider the Great West Football "Conference" when you answer because it violates everything that you stated above (okay, so you limited it to an all-sport conference). I can't help but think the responses have been by NDSU fans standards so what NDSU does is great (non-autobid GWFC) and what UND does is bad (non-autobid GWC). The truth is that they effectively the same - different school, different time period, same methods.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this be similar to say.....

buying fake championship rings.....?

I believe the rule is that if the team wins the largest championship they are eligible for, they get a ring.

The GW championship was the largest championship they were eligible for that season.

A group of schools come together and sign a pact with a promise to abide by the pact for three years, the teams for these schools schedule each other in a number of sports, a won/loss system is put in place to keep up with which teams are doing the best and worst, at the end of the season a game or a series of games is held to determine which school had the best team in each sport, rules and procedures are put in place, a group of people in Chicago (the same folks as the Summit) oversee the operations of this group of schools and to assist in compliance with NCAA rules.

This all sounds eerily similar to a conference. :lol:

A group of schools come together and sign a pact with a promise to abide by the pact for three years, the teams for these schools schedule each other in a number of sports, a won/loss system is put in place to keep up with which teams are doing the best and worst, at the end of the season a game or a series of games is held to determine which school had the best team in each sport, rules and procedures are put in place, a group of people in Chicago (the same folks as the Summit) oversee the operations of this group of schools and to assist in compliance with NCAA rules.

This all sounds eerily similar to a conference. :lol:

Since it's an arrangement that your administration has made such a big deal about I truly hope that you'll be in it for many many years to come. You guys have short memories maybe you should dig into all the threads about NDSU when we joined the GWFC and started our transition or how if you guys were to go DI the BSC would come running.

Since it's an arrangement that your administration has made such a big deal about I truly hope that you'll be in it for many many years to come. You guys have short memories maybe you should dig into all the threads about NDSU when we joined the GWFC and started our transition or how if you guys were to go DI the BSC would come running.

I give up. You win. You are going to keep this thread alive with troll food.

Therefore, I'm going to lead the charge for UND to drop down to NAIA and eventually eliminate all sports at UND with my ulitimate goal to abolish sports on the planet. :lol:

I give up. You win. You are going to keep this thread alive with troll food.

Therefore, I'm going to lead the charge for UND to drop down to NAIA and eventually eliminate all sports at UND with my ulitimate goal to abolish sports on the planet. :lol:

Actually my last word on the subject. I think everyone knows what it is.

Interesting facts about our Great West bretheren:

New Jersey Tech

-Was the first school to receive the top honor on the "Most Wired University" list, which has also included UND the last two years.

-Has trademarked the term "Virtual Classroom"

-Specializes in the research of "smart gun" technology

-Founded in 1881 and currently has an an enrollment of over 8,000

Utah Valley University

-8th fastest growing university in the U.S.

-UVU graduates earn more money than graduates from any other Utah university

-Founded in 1941 and currently has an enrollment of nearly 24,000

Houston Baptist

-Ranked in the top tier of the Best Univeristies offering Master's Degrees in the Western region by U.S. News & World Report.

-Undergrads are required to have a double-major

-Qualified for the DI NCAA Tournament in men's basketball in 1984

-Qualified for the NAIA National Tournament in men's basketball for 10 consecutive seasons from 1997-2007

-Founded in 1960 and currently has an enrollment of over 2,300

Texas-Pan American

-10th largest university in Texas

-Ranks 2nd in the nation for bachelor's degrees awarded to Hispanics

-Won the NAIA National Championship in men's basketball in 1963

-Participated in the 1981 NIT

-Founded in 1927 and currently has an enrollment of over 17,000

South Dakota

-Oldest university in the Dakotas

-Offers the only Law & Medical Schools in South Dakota

-Won the NCAA College Division National Championship for men's basketball in 1958

-Won the DII National Championship in men's cross country in 1998

-Notable alumni include TV personalities Tom Brokaw, Pat O'Brien, and "USA Today" founder Al Neuharth

-Founded in 1862 and currently has an enrollment of over 9,000

Cal Poly

-Ranked #1 by U.S. News & World Report in the Western United States for public schools whose highest degree is a Master's Degree

-Voted #3 architecture school in the U.S. by "Designintelligence"

-Has the largest endowment in the California State University System

-John Madden and Ozzie Smith attended Cal Poly

-A 1960 charter plane crash killed 16 Cal Poly football players....assumed to be the reason for John Madden's fear of flying

-Founded in 1901 and currently has an enrollment of nearly 20,000

UC Davis

-Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the 42nd best university in the U.S.

-Has a Medical School, Law School, and is arguably the most prominent Agricultural School in the U.S.

-Ranks #1 in expenditures for Agricultural research

-Won DII National Championships in men's basketball, men's tennis, women's tennis, and softball since 1990

-Has an endowment of over $600 Million

-Founded in 1901 and currently has an enrollment of over 30,000

Southern Utah

-Southern Utah University hosts the Tony Award Winning Utah Shakespearean Festival

-Twice named as "Best Value College" in America

-Twice named to Princeton Review's "Best in the West

-U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid attended SUU

-Founded in 1897 and currently has an enrollment of over 7,500

-

Thanks for the info Bin!

Wat's the deal with Houston Baptist? I see they were DI before? Then they dropped down to NAIA? What gives?

Is football in their future? I realize Houston already has Rice, UHouston and TxSo in the city (all close to each other as well, I believe).

Great West to stay at five football teams - mustangdaily.net

Contrary to a report suggesting that Utah Valley could soon add football, the new Great West Conference member is unlikely to join Cal Poly in the sport in the near future, school officials said Tuesday.

"It was probably exaggerated a little bit," Utah Valley athletics director Michael Jacobsen said of the Friday report by The Salt Lake Tribune's Maggie Thach.

Jacobsen, though, said hopefuls shouldn't hold their breath.

Great West finds common ground

Texas-Pan American perhaps had more to do with the Great West expansion than any of the other five schools.

Former UTPA athletic director Scott Street said meetings regarding a new conference date back five or six years, adding that North Dakota State athletic director Gene Taylor was a driving force in early discussions about an all-sports conference for Division I independents.

Street said the school could be in the conference for the long haul.

Great West finds common ground

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why NDSU fans are so worked up at UND's administration for joining the Great West.

NDSU fans are not worked up at UND's administration for joining the GWC (not to be confused with the GWFC). If UND wants to join to together with a group of independents, that is no problem for any ndsu fan, and a good idea for und. But let's not throw our brain out the door and confuse the GWC alliance with a DI conference. Conference are recognized by the NCAA, conferences have auto-berths to post season, recognized conferences take a great deal of selling and effort to join.

Personally, I do no like the fact that the UND admin (it appears) is trying to dupe the people of the state into thinking that UND has amazingly reached DI conference heaven, when in fact, UND has joined a suedo-conference. In reading the Forum/Herald articles on the move, nowhere did I read that this conference did not have auto-berths and would not be recognized for 10-13 years. Did I miss this statement? Was it in the fine print somewhere? Doesn't the university have to right to clarify this very important point for their readers, or it is just a little easier for UND to let this important point slide so maybe the people of ND will think that UND has grabbed the brass conference ring.

If my AD was trying to sell me on the fact that the GWC was a conference, I'd punch him in the nose and tell him to get to work on finding a real conference. Over the last 5 years I've read many boards that talked about the whole NCC moving up to DI, But it always ended with, "No, it would take 13 years to be recongized by the NCAA, there is no way we'd want to do that, that's a stupid idea". Well, you've essentially just done it with the GWC.

The whole purpose for joining a DI conference is so you have direct access to an auto-berth for NCAA playoffs, not just so you can make out a schedule for your sports. There is still time to join a recognized conference by 2013, so hopefully this is just an initial step. But, don't try to tell me that there's no difference between the GWC and a recognized DI conference, I'm not as nieve as most reader of the forum/herald.

Let us worry about it. You are like a bunch of tattle tales first graders jumping up and down and pointing their fingers. They also never said it WAS an automatic birth or any other drivel bison fans are so worried about. It's our team please leave it and us alone, as is so often pointed out we are no longer rivals.

NDSU fans are not worked up at UND's administration for joining the GWC (not to be confused with the GWFC). If UND wants to join to together with a group of independents, that is no problem for any ndsu fan, and a good idea for und. But let's not throw our brain out the door and confuse the GWC alliance with a DI conference. Conference are recognized by the NCAA, conferences have auto-berths to post season, recognized conferences take a great deal of selling and effort to join.

Personally, I do no like the fact that the UND admin (it appears) is trying to dupe the people of the state into thinking that UND has amazingly reached DI conference heaven, when in fact, UND has joined a suedo-conference. In reading the Forum/Herald articles on the move, nowhere did I read that this conference did not have auto-berths and would not be recognized for 10-13 years. Did I miss this statement? Was it in the fine print somewhere? Doesn't the university have to right to clarify this very important point for their readers, or it is just a little easier for UND to let this important point slide so maybe the people of ND will think that UND has grabbed the brass conference ring.

If my AD was trying to sell me on the fact that the GWC was a conference, I'd punch him in the nose and tell him to get to work on finding a real conference. Over the last 5 years I've read many boards that talked about the whole NCC moving up to DI, But it always ended with, "No, it would take 13 years to be recongized by the NCAA, there is no way we'd want to do that, that's a stupid idea". Well, you've essentially just done it with the GWC.

The whole purpose for joining a DI conference is so you have direct access to an auto-berth for NCAA playoffs, not just so you can make out a schedule for your sports. There is still time to join a recognized conference by 2013, so hopefully this is just an initial step. But, don't try to tell me that there's no difference between the GWC and a recognized DI conference, I'm not as nieve as most reader of the forum/herald.

Honestly do you read anything posted in this forum. No one in UND's administration has said this is anything more than a short term scheduling fix. Continuing to distort UND's intentions only makes you look like an uninformed idiot. If you'd like to continue living in a fantasy world where if you plug your ears and close your eyes all of your distorted perceptions regarding UND will suddenly come true then I suggest you take your rants to bi-sonville where they will be well-received by the rest of the bi-son faithful who prefer sounding like idiot jackasses instead of informed sports fans.

Which is exactly what Faison said about the GWC, that it was an important "first step" in the transition. :lol:

I've agreed that Wayne Nelson should have included the conference auto-bid requirements in his story, but the straw man argument that UND officials have duped its fans into thinking it has found a long-term conference is getting old.

If the impression is that the GWC is being "oversold" by UND that has to be coming from the media (Forum Communications: The Forum, The Herald) and not UND.

I base that on two items both from this link:

1. Listen to the press conference with ROK and Faison. The auto-bid question is asked. They state there isn't one.

2. This quote from UND's release (emphasis added):

Faison said joining the Great West was UND

Conference are recognized by the NCAA, conferences have auto-berths to post season

You would have a lot more credibility with this argument if the Great West Football conference had an auto-berth. It's much too narrow a view of a conference. By your definition, if the NCAA opinion is the only one that counts, then we must consider what the NCAA thinks of NDSU's status. You can find it on this NCAA site, http://web1.ncaa.org/memberLinks/links.jsp?div=2 - it's under the 'Ns'

You would have a lot more credibility with this argument if the Great West Football conference had an auto-berth. It's much too narrow a view of a conference. By your definition, if the NCAA opinion is the only one that counts, then we must consider what the NCAA thinks of NDSU's status. You can find it on this NCAA site, http://web1.ncaa.org/memberLinks/links.jsp?div=2 - it's under the 'Ns'

You have to understand the difference between the GWFC and the GWC. In FCS DI football, half ot the conferences do not have auto-bids, and with the GWFC reputation, the conference winner will have post season chances (if elligible). Being in the GWFC isn't a bad situation . . . the GWC on the other hand, not so much.

Your willful ignorance act is wearing very, very thin.

You have to understand the difference between the GWFC and the GWC. In FCS DI football, half ot the conferences do not have auto-bids, and with the GWFC reputation, the conference winner will have post season chances (if elligible). Being in the GWFC isn't a bad situation . . . the GWC on the other hand, not so much.

I understand the difference but I also understand that by the definition that you used the GWFC doesn't meet your definition as a conference in which case if you say now that it is a conference then you are inconsistent by your own definition.

I understand the difference but I also understand that by the definition that you used the GWFC doesn't meet your definition as a conference in which case if you say now that it is a conference then you are inconsistent by your own definition.

You are right, no it doesn't meet my definition, and I'd get out of the GWFC too if other auto-bid options were available. But the GWFC isn't too bad if your objective is to make the post-season. (most people's #1 objective, including mine) That is at least possible in the GWFC. I'd be in no hurry to leave the GWFC, as it has a good reputation. It was ranked the #1&2 FCS conference the past 2 years using the Sagarin.

Please don't call people who actually know what they are talking about inconsistent, assuming that your primary objective is to make the post season someday.

You are right, no it doesn't meet my definition, and I'd get out of the GWFC too if other auto-bid options were available. But the GWFC isn't too bad if your objective is to make the post-season. (most people's #1 objective, including mine) That is at least possible in the GWFC. I'd be in no hurry to leave the GWFC, as it has a good reputation. It was ranked the #1&2 FCS conference the past 2 years using the Sagarin.

Please don't call people who actually know what they are talking about inconsistent, assuming that your primary objective is to make the post season someday.

Your whole argument only exists if we can assume you don't know what the hell you're talking about. How many times and in how many different ways can the same thing be explained to you before you understand it.

Over the last 5 years I've read many boards that talked about the whole NCC moving up to DI, But it always ended with, "No, it would take 13 years to be recongized by the NCAA, there is no way we'd want to do that, that's a stupid idea". Well, you've essentially just done it with the GWC.

The reality is that the whole NCC couldn't move up; it's just a reality check. I disagree that the only purpose of a conference is an auto-berth; it is a benefit not the driving force.

Is that the primary purpose of sports? You even admitted to being inconsistent. From http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=1352;

The Association - through its member institutions, conferences and national office staff - shares a belief in and commitment to:

* The collegiate model of athletics in which students participate as an avocation, balancing their academic, social and athletics experiences.

* The highest levels of integrity and sportsmanship.

* The pursuit of excellence in both academics and athletics.

The supporting role that intercollegiate athletics plays in the higher education mission and in enhancing the sense of community and strengthening the identity of member institutions.

* An inclusive culture that fosters equitable participation for student-athletes and career opportunities for coaches and administrators from diverse backgrounds.

Respect for institutional autonomy and philosophical differences.

* Presidential leadership of intercollegiate athletics at the campus, conference and national levels.

Even the NCAA has its listed purpose as something else. I can't help but wonder if your view is really that narrow or its just to be argumentative.

• 3 weeks later...