SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Florida Meetings

The Sicatoka

is und a minor league team or a 4-year university :glare: sometimes I wonder with remarks I hear from the coaches in that they even tell some players to leave for the nhl. I thought they(coaches) were to have the best interests of the program and university in mind.

Should the professors have the best interest of their department and UND in mind, or the best interests of the student? I will say the best interest of the student. If they don't, they have failed the student. Coaches should operate in the same vein. The one key difference is that the student-athlete is a member of a team, and sometimes the interests of all of the student-athletes on the team outweigh the interests of just one student-athlete. That is the difference between a student-athlete and just a student. If the coach takes care of the best interests of the student-athletes, the program and the university will be taken care of.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should the professors have the best interest of their department and UND in mind, or the best interests of the student? I will say the best interest of the student. If they don't, they have failed the student. Coaches should operate in the same vein. The one key difference is that the student-athlete is a member of a team, and sometimes the interests of all of the student-athletes on the team outweigh the interests of just one student-athlete. That is the difference between a student-athlete and just a student. If the coach takes care of the best interests of the student-athletes, the program and the university will be taken care of.

it's probably not going to happen but I would like to see the like of oshie, chorney and/or finley spurn(sp) the big clubs like boyle of BC a couple of years ago and come back for 1 more shot at a title as you only get so many chances. but as we all know it's about the almighty $$$ and not winning in todays sports world. as not one of those players will sniff a championship at the pro level for quite some time, if ever.

it's probably not going to happen but I would like to see the like of oshie, chorney and/or finley spurn(sp) the big clubs like boyle of BC a couple of years ago and come back for 1 more shot at a title as you only get so many chances. but as we all know it's about the almighty $$$ and not winning in todays sports world. as not one of those players will sniff a championship at the pro level for quite some time, if ever.

They already did it once. How much can you ask for?

is und a minor league team or a 4-year university :glare: sometimes I wonder with remarks I hear from the coaches in that they even tell some players to leave for the nhl. I thought they(coaches) were to have the best interests of the program and university in mind.

We have had players leave early for pro careers since the expansion days (Alan Hangsleben, Rick Wilson, etc.). It's nothing new.

If the coaching staff "discouraged" players from leaving or started recruiting only "4-year" players, you can forget about any F4 appearances. I don't want to be a Mankato State, do you?

Did anyone have any problem having Parise, Towes, Oshie, etc. playing here vs. somewhere else? Having players like that is in the best interest of your program/university. Players come and go - the great ones just leave a little earlier than the rest.

UND was great place for the players listed above to prepare for their career choice. Isn't that what college is for?

I find it interesting that the Badger coaches and athletic department feel the need to talk to McLeod in private...

Not a lot of definitives came out of the recent American Hockey Coaches Association get-together in Florida, but two separate discussions are worth revisiting.

One was behind closed doors: Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez, associate AD Sean Frazier, men's coach Mike Eaves and women's coach Mark Johnson had a private audience with Western Collegiate Hockey Association commissioner Bruce McLeod.

The UW entourage asked for the meeting in order to hash out a series of grievances that occurred during the season.

On the men's side, controversial losses to Denver and St. Cloud State in which officiating errors took place, as well as a dust-up with North Dakota that Eaves felt was allowed to exceed acceptable boundaries.

On the women's side, the apparent use of an ineligible player by eventual WCHA and NCAA champion Minnesota-Duluth, which has yet to yield any sanctions.

Venting in Private

As was already said, they did that once already. My guess is the knee injury to Chorney won't help pull them back to school, either. Shows how fragile an athletes career can be. Any shift, at any level can be your last. My guess is Oshie, Chorney and Finley are gone. I think Kozek will return, but it's not for sure by any means.

Duncs is unique. If he leaves, he can go anywhere, but it is likely the AHL version of anywhere. If he stays, who's left for him to play with? His skills have been best used with playmakers around him. So, this may be his best chance to go. But, maybe he improves his value by showing he can elevate his game with a different subset of players around him, too. He's a great kid and I wish him and all the Sioux players the best if they move on.

As for the coaches looking out for the school/program. They do their best job of that when they honestly assess when a player is ready to move on or has nothing left to prove at the college level. If they do that, those that do leave will be great recruiting tools for getting top notch future players. If they try to talk kids into staying when they are ready to move on, those players will eventually tell future top notch players to go somewhere else for the honest assessment they won't get here. We have been very fortunate that our coaches have always done their best to honestly tell players where they stand, and then let the players and their families make the final decision. It is why our program is so well respected by both NHL front offices and recruits alike.

Maybe little mikey ought to teach his players to take a check and to not slash - what a whiney ass-munch of a little bitch.

I'll get to meet Mikey in a few weeks. The UW coaches are going on tour, and making a stop here, burgers brats, etc. My son loves Bucky Badger, so we'll be there. Tix are $25, and they are planning on 1,000 people.

Maybe little mikey ought to teach his players to take a check and to not slash - what a whiney ass-munch of a little bitch.

It would almost make him look like a bit time whiner by the fact that Eaves is still complaining in April and May long after the season is over. The league officials suck and until there is a change in leadership there will be no changes in the way the on ice officals conduct themselves in reffing games.

I'll get to meet Mikey in a few weeks. The UW coaches are going on tour, and making a stop here, burgers brats, etc. My son loves Bucky Badger, so we'll be there. Tix are $25, and they are planning on 1,000 people.

I will send you a list of questions to ask eaves. :D

It would almost make him look like a bit time whiner by the fact that Eaves is still complaining in April and May long after the season is over. The league officials suck and until there is a change in leadership there will be no changes in the way the on ice officals conduct themselves in reffing games.

I'm not sure I'd be so unsympathetic to Eaves. He did get ROYALLY screwed by the officials.

UND vs UW was not solely UND's fault, but the officials did let it get way out of hand.

I'm willing to let UND take a lump if it means getting an opportunity to slap Greg Shepherd around in a PR and a professional capacity (I'm not saying going around and beating him up).

Interesting that Eaves is also on board with the gentleman's agreement. Poor Jerry York, he's not able to get ALL of the best recruits? What is it with the moron and gold colors? They don't already do well enough recruiting now they need to make it easy for themselves?

Kids verbal, but they still have their options open because they can change their mind any time they want. And they do. This just keeps York and Lucia from cherry picking a player at the 11th hour that they couldn't offer earlier because they were either reticent to, or they couldn't because they'd already committed too much scholarship $ to other players. Tough life for them.

I wonder if Bruce McLeod was still ranting about the WCHA having the "best attendance" and all that jazz to the Bucky contingent...

Have him give Bucky a slash from me! :D

I remember when Wisconsin was a very rugged program. When did they start recruiting ice dancers? :D :D

I remember when Wisconsin was a very rugged program. When did they start recruiting ice dancers? :D :D

Badger Bob has probably rolled over in his grave. His Badgers were just about the toughest sob's around. The Mike Eaves Badgers are just wussies. They should just wear pink. (on average, red+white=pink anyway)

You have failed as a parent.

(only kidding)

I'm not sure I'd be so unsympathetic to Eaves. He did get ROYALLY screwed by the officials.

UND vs UW was not solely UND's fault, but the officials did let it get way out of hand.

I'm willing to let UND take a lump if it means getting an opportunity to slap Greg Shepherd around in a PR and a professional capacity (I'm not saying going around and beating him up).

Just a side note, but I was working at Target today and a guy wearing a WCHA OFFICIATING STAFF sweatshirt came through my checklane. So, I'd assume he's a ref. He wasn't very friendly. I thought about commenting about it, but he looked like a crab ass so I kept my thoughts to myself.

Just a side note, but I was working at Target today and a guy wearing a WCHA OFFICIATING STAFF sweatshirt came through my checklane. So, I'd assume he's a ref. He wasn't very friendly. I thought about commenting about it, but he looked like a crab ass so I kept my thoughts to myself.

That's probably because his mom made him wear the sweatshirt before he went to Target. :D

I bet this person was a ref from another league. He made a bet with a WCHA official and obviously lost...and had to wear the WCHA officiating staff sweatshirt. Or, maybe he is WCHA ref, and Bruce or Greg made him wear it for some type of penance (not that WCHA officials are ever held accountable...)

• 3 months later...