SiouxSports.com Forum

Reloading Thread

siouxnami

you might be on to something. this is hak's 5th year and the finishes so far-

04-05-5th

05-06-4th

06-07-3rd

07-08-2nd

08-09-:silly:?? will the improvement continue.

I think so ... i have a good feeling. ;)

p.s-- i also still maintain my theory the gophers will not finish ahead of us.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so ... i have a good feeling. :silly:

p.s-- i also still maintain my theory the gophers will not finish ahead of us.

I love the talent coming in and with the returning players it could be a very good year. Especially if Eidsness turns out to be the goalie we are hoping he can be. I remember in 97' when Blais said he thought he was a year away from winning it all. Thats how this years team has to approach the season. Guns a blazin and no worries. I think they will have the right combination of youth, talent and leadership.

I love the talent coming in and with the returning players it could be a very good year. Especially if Eidsness turns out to be the goalie we are hoping he can be. I remember in 97' when Blais said he thought he was a year away from winning it all. Thats how this years team has to approach the season. Guns a blazin and no worries. I think they will have the right combination of youth, talent and leadership.

maybe, just maybe we could get off to a better start this year.

I'll revise this as I have gotten off my pitty potty and barring a big surprise all the teams rosters should be pretty well set:

1. CC

2. Denver

3. UND-if the freshman goalie comes through maybe we can move up to 1 or 2.

4. Wisconsin

5. Minny-I still say a trip to DC isn't out of the question.

6. SCSU

7. mankato

8. tech

9. duluth

10. aa.

I will bet by late September you will have them at 1 or 2 :silly: Nothing wrong with gaining confidence in your squad as the season gets closer.

While I have no problems with early predictions, I think one of the important things to remember is that CC and U of M will not necessarily have solid goaltending next year. While they both had great performances as freshmen, there are many examples of sophomore slumps. I am not saying it will happen, but its happened in the past and there are still many questions to answer. Also, remember DU loses Mannino, so they will have 2 relatively untested sophomore goalies to backstop them. So, that gives us some questions in net in what most people predict will be the top 4 teams in the WCHA next year. I think things will be close all around and should make for an exciting year. It would be nice to see less dichotomy in the conference and more epic battles!

Personally, I'm not too optimistic that Kangas will slump. I guess you never know but he doesn't strike me as a "lucky" goalie, the guy making magical saves. He just seems to be in the right place at the right time and doesn't have to look special to get the job done. I think the sophomore slumpitis is less likely to strike a goalie like that. Just my opinion.

While I have no problems with early predictions, I think one of the important things to remember is that CC and U of M will not necessarily have solid goaltending next year. While they both had great performances as freshmen, there are many examples of sophomore slumps. I am not saying it will happen, but its happened in the past and there are still many questions to answer. Also, remember DU loses Mannino, so they will have 2 relatively untested sophomore goalies to backstop them. So, that gives us some questions in net in what most people predict will be the top 4 teams in the WCHA next year. I think things will be close all around and should make for an exciting year. It would be nice to see less dichotomy in the conference and more epic battles!

Bachman was pretty good his first go round but teams watch film and study the goalies tendencies. I am sure the Sioux and other teams will do that and become more successful. I expect the same to happen with Brad E his first trip through the league.

Bachman was pretty good his first go round but teams watch film and study the goalies tendencies. I am sure the Sioux and other teams will do that and become more successful. I expect the same to happen with Brad E his first trip through the league.

If we could get a kangas like performance out of Brad E. we will be sitting pretty good.

Personally, I'm not too optimistic that Kangas will slump. I guess you never know but he doesn't strike me as a "lucky" goalie, the guy making magical saves. He just seems to be in the right place at the right time and doesn't have to look special to get the job done. I think the sophomore slumpitis is less likely to strike a goalie like that. Just my opinion.

You just complimented a Gopher - isn't that ban worthy or something?

I agree with this.

How will UMN's offense and special teams fare this year? Will the defense continue to improve?

Kangas won't slump, but if he is relied upon as much as he was last season, I can't see Minnesota going too deep in the playoffs. You can't be all goaltender and nothing else.

I agree with this.

How will UMN's offense and special teams fare this year? Will the defense continue to improve?

Kangas won't slump, but if he is relied upon as much as he was last season, I can't see Minnesota going too deep in the playoffs. You can't be all goaltender and nothing else.

ON PAPER the Gophers have a top 5 recruiting class. We all know that recruits don't alway pan out.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

teams that are loaded with underclassmen usually don't win the cup.

But sometimes they do. When the Sioux won in 1997 it had the potential for a phenomenal run. It was during the regular seasons, but the next 2 post-seasons were huge disappointement, IMO.

they always do - at least as far as the the national scene is concerned - even when they don't

Have you ever noticed that Minnesota, BU, B.C., Michigan, Michigan State, (now add) Notre Dame are always give the 1-10 spots it seems when it comes to in coming freshman rankings. Of course these rankings mean nothing when it comes to titles won. :silly:

Have you ever noticed that Minnesota, BU, B.C., Michigan, Michigan State, (now add) Notre Dame are always give the 1-10 spots it seems when it comes to in coming freshman rankings. Of course these rankings mean nothing when it comes to titles won. :silly:

Considering those teams have accounted for five of the last eight NCAA titles, I'd say the rankings mean a little something, no?