• Massen
    • Lundbohm
    • McMahon
    • Jones
    • Schneider
    • Fuher
    • Greene
    • Other

Talking about the possibility for improvement is interesting, because a player who somewhat underachieved would have a bit of an advantage. The defensive core was awesome last year, though on the shoulders of non-returning players. Therefore, a younger defenseman could improve his individual play quite a bit over next year.

Parise seems likely because he did underachieve at the end, giving some room for improvement. However, since he demonstrated his talent early in the year, it's easy to see how he could improve. If UND tries to balance out the scoring across lines, someone like Massen, Lundbohm, or Schneider could be a beneficiary.

The risky play, who stand a chance of being most improved, but also a fair chance of not playing much: Brandt.

I'd guess that Greene and Marvin will be much improved on D. I was especially impressed with Marvin over the season, as he came in relatively unheralded.

On offense, I'd hope that McMahon and Lundbohm finally find a consistent stride. I think Massen and Money will probably do better too. If Canady stays healthy, and avoids the dumb penalties, I could see him turning it up too. Parise will probably benefit with the addition of the SSM crowd, especially Murray. I have a *feeling* Prpich will move into his game more too. I don't think the comparisons to Bayda are unwarranted. I agree with Jim that scoring needs to be spread across more players/lines. Relying on the "stars" seems to make some of the other players lazy IMO. :blush:

Goalie ... Brandt probably has the job for now. However, with the arrival of Ziggy and somebody else, he's going to have make the job his. I think Blais tended to misplay the goalies by moving them around the job too much. This probably undermined their confidence to a large degree, and probably affected the team's confidence in them. Hopefully, some strong offseason training and a year of maturity will help him develop into a consistent, reliable goalie. I also hope that we can retain a goalie coach to help these guys work on the finer points of the position. Say, I heard Patrick Roy is looking for work. :D

Im calling a break-out year for Massen, I dont know why but I feel it. :blush:

If that happens that will be so huge, Massen has the potential to be an All American, however, the effort doesnt' always seem to be there. Massen has sweet hands, get skating ability and I have likened him to fformer Boston Bruin great Cam Neely (who unforunately his career was shortened by a dirty Swed name Ulfie, yep I am still bitter about that), however, Cam played with a mean streak, James needs to find that...

MASSEN, MASSEN, MASSEN!!! I think he will have a break out year. He had a great first half last year, so this year should be a great year all year for him. All signs point to a great year for the Sioux.

Let's hope our goalie situation is finally settled. I have heard 3 different goalies were cut. Hope the real goalie will stand up soon !!!!!!!

For me, I'd say those people who were on the checking lines (3rd and 4th line) will improve the most overall.

I look for forwards such as McMahon and Prpich to improve the most. As for D Men, I am thinking that it will be Fuher and Greene that improve most visibly with an Honorable Mention to Marvin.

With Hale's departure, we don't have a hard hitter on the team. Yeah, yeah, Greene hits hard, but HE CAN'T GET AWAY WITH IT. I do agree that Schneider will step up and take over the defensive, if not team, leadership, but I'm beginning to think that the gameplay that Hale brought to UND will be shouldered by three players instead of just by David. Those players? Schneider, Jones, and Smaby. Yikes, eh?

Just to explain the three players, Schneider will be the leadership side that Hale vacated. Jones will be the defensive mindedness that Hale vacated. Smaby will be the size and hard hitter that Hale vacated. Why not Greene? Again, refer to my earlier statement.

I believe everyone agrees that the least of UND's worries is their skaters. So let's hope I'm wrong and that the most improved player on UND is Brandt.

Prpich would be my first guess, but I will vote for McMahon, he is one of, if not the best face off taker on the team, and he works hard. I think Him and Hale and Prpich are going to produce alot of offensive chances for the sioux with the way they can forecheck and dig out pucks. I think the team we will see next year is going to be ALOT deeper than last seasons.

...I think Him [McMahon] and Hale and Prpich are going to produce alot of offensive chances for the sioux with the way they can forecheck and dig out pucks...

They created a lot of opportunities last year. Now, burying them would be the improvement (which I think you'll see).

I look for Massen or Lundbohm to have a breakout year. Both have showed ability, but neither has showed consitency.

I voted Massen, but I think it would be a dead run with Schneider.

Massen had really started doing some amazing things last season, and like many posts say, he works hard. He creates a ton of opportunities for himself, and the rest of the team as well. Breakout year? Maybe... it's in his own hands.

Schneider is probably one of my favorite players to watch. (stemming from his WCHA debut against Manitoba :D ) He's smart on the ice, skates hard, and is a tough SOB. If he can get his point shot to release a little quicker, (not that he hasn't scored from the point) I see him as a huge asset to our offense, as well as being a staple defensive player. So many times there was too much playing around at the point in power play situations. (IMO) I think they'll quit looking for the perfect shot and start letting them rip, creating some rebound opportunities. Garbage goals? Who cares... they still show up on the scoreboard!

If we get a couple of balanced scoring lines with the SSM additions, I think Parise will shine even brighter than the past season. Sure, his production was down in the second half of the year... but was that his personal play?... or the fact that he skated with someone hanging on his sweater for 3 periods? :blush: Hopefully that will change too.

Greene--He reminds me of Commodore, except that he is bigger, stronger and a better skater than Commodore was at this stage of his college career. They both had a penchant for taking stupid and untimely penalties as freshmen, but I expect that to improve as he matures. If he can stay under control, he will be an impact player. Hopefully, it will come this year and not his junior year.

What about Genoway? I know he was fairly innefective last year but what about all hype that was associated with him

If I recall he was very highly touted, and I know Blais brought him in as a red shirt which is kind of rare for the team. The only inference I can take from that is the Blais thought that Genoways development would be better served by being under Blais' wing instead of the USHL.

I think he definately has potential for a vast improvement next year.

What about Genoway? I know he was fairly innefective last year but what about all hype that was associated with him

(...)

I think he definately has potential for a vast improvement next year.

I wonder if Blais will have him out there anymore? Blais thought he would be able to come in and "Contribute right away." It didn't happen.

With the addition of Murray, Stafford, & Porter (whom I believe will all see regular shifts), the forward lines will be pretty clogged up for Genoway/Canady/Connelly/Palmiscno, who will all have to fight for ice.

I wonder if Blais will have him out there anymore? Blais thought he would be able to come in and "Contribute right away." It didn't happen.

With the addition of Murray, Stafford, & Porter (whom I believe will all see regular shifts), the forward lines will be pretty clogged up for Genoway/Canady/Connelly/Palmiscno, who will all have to fight for ice.

Good point on Genoway. There is a guy who could have the potential for "most improved player".

Let's not forget some other fairly forgettable freshman performances, i.e. Lee Goren and Bryan Lundbohm. I'll give Colby another year before I lose hope.

I keep hearing Porter's name mentioned as someone who could have some impact this next year but if you look purely at his statistics he didn't do anything the average USHL'er didn't do. What that means to me is he might be a hard worker but I'm not expecting to see many points go on the board. We've all talked about how the Sioux have plenty of hard workers, but we need to see someone get the points. Porter could be sitting to make room for some of these other guys on game night. That said, Stafford and Murray should be able to make the lineup regularly.

From an outsider...

During the MN-UND series in January I thought Prpich was a hack and of a very low skill level. In my mind he had "Brad Winchester" written all over him. When I saw him again in March during the NCAA's I thought he was the best player on the ice for the Sioux. I would expect great things from him if I were a Sioux fan. But, since he's not on the list I voted for Lundbohm since I think he could improve his scoring by 10-15 pts based (again) on what I saw at the NCAA's in March.

Is Genoway for sure going to return to the Sioux? I saw that a Major Jr. team put him on their protected list recently.... kind of makes you wonder if he could be a roster casualty?

Losing him wouldn't be that big of a loss and I wouldn't be surprised to not seem him back since he did nothing on the score sheet this season...

...If he can get his point shot to release a little quicker...

I think you hit dead on with schneider, great skills, but the problem with the Sioux's powerplay was that they couldnt get a shot on net without it being blocked by sprawled out body. Fuher and Schneider need to get their shots off faster.

I think you hit dead on with schneider, great skills, but the problem with the Sioux's powerplay was that they couldnt get a shot on net without it being blocked by sprawled out body. Fuher and Schneider need to get their shots off faster.

I totally agree with this. Lundbohm often had the same problem when he played the point on the power play. That's where Travis Roche is missed the most. He didn't score a lot of goals from the point, but his shots on goal were often tipped in or the rebounds were put in. He kept defenders from blocking his shots either by faking them out or by getting his shots off very fast.

Hammy, I understand your question. It's more than fair.

Let me try answer it this way: Lincoln drafted Sydney Crosby in a late round of the USHL draft. Do we expect to see him in a Stars jersey this year (if ever)?

Genoway was listed as a sophomore last year but it was his first WCHA season. He had played in some WHL exhibition games so it cost him a "sit out" year. A year away, just practicing, isn't the same as playing. He almost looked rusty at times. I'm not quite ready to give up on him. I hope he hasn't given up.

About roster space: I only see five lines worth of guys. That's normal load isn't it?

Seniors: Hale, Lundbohm, Palmiscno

Juniors: Bochenski, Canady, Connelly, Fylling, Genoway, Massen, McMahon

Sophomores: Parise, Prpich

Freshmen: Murray, Porter, Stafford

Sica,

I was just curious. I don't know anything about his status but I came across that info last week and I found it curious for them to pick up an established college player for no reason. I do feel it is a little different than Crosby's situation since he was purely a flier draft pick for Lincoln as opposed to putting a guy on a protected list out of nowhere.