SiouxSports.com Forum

Official Game Thread UND vs Denver

NDFAN

I was disappointed that the Sioux didn't play the body that much today. If there was ever a trademark of Sioux hockey, it is the physical play.

There are 3 ways to change momentum in hockey:

1) score a goal

2) hit the post

3) lay somebody out

How about stopping a breakaway with a huge save?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brad Miller is nowhere near a top line player. I just don't understand him playing there. The Sioux have a serious lack of scoring depth made worse without Trupp. Our third and fourth lines are basically no threat to score. In the playoffs you need scoring depth as opposing teams will key on your best players, anyone knows that. Zajac? Frattin? Malone? Martens? Miller? these guys cannot put the puck in the net and I think ultimately the lack of dcoring depth eill be our down fall. On a positive note TJ Oshie is unreal, he is so much better than any forward we have it is not even close. I don't think we have to worry about Duncan leaving early. I don't see any offers coming his way after this year.

I still say, a lot of clutching and grabbing done today that will be called come regionals and Frozen Four. I think that will favor the Sioux, but then again, you have to score on the PP, so maybe not??!! :glare:

That was pretty much the story of the game. The Sioux had over 3 minutes on 5 on 3 and were unable to convert. That was a big factor in the game. I hate losing to DU!!

Brad Miller is nowhere near a top line player. I just don't understand him playing there. The Sioux have a serious lack of scoring depth made worse without Trupp. Our third and fourth lines are basically no threat to score. In the playoffs you need scoring depth as opposing teams will key on your best players, anyone knows that. Zajac? Frattin? Malone? Martens? Miller? these guys cannot put the puck in the net and I think ultimately the lack of dcoring depth eill be our down fall. On a positive note TJ Oshie is unreal, he is so much better than any forward we have it is not even close. I don't think we have to worry about Duncan leaving early. I don't see any offers coming his way after this year.

First of all, the members of the so called "no threat" fourth line were the ones on the ice for UND's ONLY goal of the day, pounding mannino with shots, one of which, Chorney got the rebound.

And I'm not saying that I like Miller on the top line, but Hak did put Kozek on the top line for the second period, and that line continued to be unable to even get it out of their own zone. Then, he was back on the third line for the third period.

I certainly agree with missing Trupp. I think most of us underestimated how much he'd be missed.

Just got home.

Left at 9am estimating a 12 noon arrival into St. Paul, but got there at 1 due to snow storm, had to drive 45mph much of the way. Head to McGoverns for a few cold ones with a couple buddies of mine. These guys are mostly Badger fans, but one has a hint of Gopher in him, having played junior hockey in the cities. Get to the game at 2, and you pretty much know the rest of the story. The game was pretty flat for the most part, hate to say, even boring at times. I'm no hockey mind, but after watching the goofs/CC game, it just seems like our passes aren't to the level that UM and CC's are. Even my buddies commented that these two teams (CC/UM) seem like they are in a different leage than UND and DU. Something just wasn't clicking today. I hope it's "the flu" again, but that's been hanging around like 2 months? :glare: Anyway, we don't stand a chance against CC if we bring that team today. During the goofs game, a young Sioux fan(20ish) was passed out in our section, and his buddies wrote stuff on his face (DENVER, I believe) and hung tampons on him. EMT's even showed up, fans were laughing, and plenty of videos were rolling (including mine), so expect a youtube video in the future.

I was hoping for a CC win tonight, so we could face the Goofs tomorrow, but that's not happening. I have a bad feeling about CC, and I think we are going to get lit up, 5-1. I hope I'm wrong.

Just got home.

Left at 9am estimating a 12 noon arrival into St. Paul, but got there at 1 due to snow storm, had to drive 45mph much of the way. Head to McGoverns for a few cold ones with a couple buddies of mine. These guys are mostly Badger fans, but one has a hint of Gopher in him, having played junior hockey in the cities. Get to the game at 2, and you pretty much know the rest of the story. The game was pretty flat for the most part, hate to say, even boring at times. I'm no hockey mind, but after watching the goofs/CC game, it just seems like our passes aren't to the level that UM and CC's are. Even my buddies commented that these two teams (CC/UM) seem like they are in a different leage than UND and DU. Something just wasn't clicking today. I hope it's "the flu" again, but that's been hanging around like 2 months? :glare: Anyway, we don't stand a chance against CC if we bring that team today. During the goofs game, a young Sioux fan(20ish) was passed out in our section, and his buddies wrote stuff on his face (DENVER, I believe) and hung tampons on him. EMT's even showed up, fans were laughing, and plenty of videos were rolling (including mine), so expect a youtube video in the future.

I was hoping for a CC win tonight, so we could face the Goofs tomorrow, but that's not happening. I have a bad feeling about CC, and I think we are going to get lit up, 5-1. I hope I'm wrong.

Did your buddy play for the Vulcans?

Sioux didn't handle the DU forecheck very well. Gut check time and time for each player to look in the mirror. Come to the rink with the hard hat on and lunch packed for a sustained 60-minute Sioux hockey effort.

Finley's lazy effort on the game winning goal is only one of many examples where the effort and focus was baffling.

Sioux will come out buzzing and clicking on all cylinders this afternoon.

It always amazes me at the negativity on this board after a Sioux loss. Frankly, it is why I spend less and less time here other than to get game updates. The attacks on players, the excuses, the whinning. Hell, I could watch Springer if I wanted that.

The Sioux lost to a tough DU team yesterday on one helluva goal. Again, they have played fantastic hockey this year, are a lock for the NCAA tournament, and have a chance to be one of four top seeds. They have two Hobey Baker finalists, last years winner, a class coaching staff, first rate facilities, and THE best fan base in the Country.

Frankly I don't care where the Sioux are seeded or where they get sent. I'm gonna enjoy watching some great college hockey and supporting the best program in the country. Personally, I have faith that the big trophy ends up back in GF when all is said and done.

So the rest of you, roll back the stone and look inside. This is the time of year for new life. Today is another game. Get on board or get out of the way, the road to Denver ain't gonna be easy but it sure is gonna be fun.

During the goofs game, a young Sioux fan(20ish) was passed out in our section, and his buddies wrote stuff on his face (DENVER, I believe) and hung tampons on him. EMT's even showed up, fans were laughing, and plenty of videos were rolling (including mine), so expect a youtube video in the future.

Highlight of the weekend so far. When he finally woke up the ovation was hilarious. "My liver hurts." :glare:

It always amazes me at the negativity on this board after a Sioux loss. Frankly, it is why I spend less and less time here other than to get game updates. The attacks on players, the excuses, the whinning. Hell, I could watch Springer if I wanted that.

The Sioux lost to a tough DU team yesterday on one helluva goal. Again, they have played fantastic hockey this year, are a lock for the NCAA tournament, and have a chance to be one of four top seeds. They have two Hobey Baker finalists, last years winner, a class coaching staff, first rate facilities, and THE best fan base in the Country.

Frankly I don't care where the Sioux are seeded or where they get sent. I'm gonna enjoy watching some great college hockey and supporting the best program in the country. Personally, I have faith that the big trophy ends up back in GF when all is said and done.

So the rest of you, roll back the stone and look inside. This is the time of year for new life. Today is another game. Get on board or get out of the way, the road to Denver ain't gonna be easy but it sure is gonna be fun.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE, THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT.

It will be a lot of fun, can not wait to see the rest of the road to denver unfold. GO SIOUX!!!

I agree with most of your post, and I apologize for sounding so negative, most of that was 2am talking, and I was pretty bummed. This was the worst of the 9 games that I've gone to though, and I guess I'll call a spade a spade. I'm still going to make the 3 hour drive back to St. Paul (leaving in a few minutes) to cheer on our boys. I'm an optimist, but also a realist, and after seeing CC last night, it's going to be an uphill battle for us no doubt. They have some really talented skaters, one of which (#22 I think, Walsky?) was incredibly fast and a great puck handler. Let's hope for a big victory today!

EXCELLENT POST! :glare: And I'm with you 100%! :(

Eveyone wonders why the wcha has no scoring, take a good look at the DU game and watch

what DU does to oshie and duncan the entire game. it's constant clutching and grabbing, hooking (look at the sports section in herald today for a good picture of that). It's the pinning on the boards longer than what is legal. it's the sticking of legs or knees out or the interference that is not being called (twice on oshie that i saw). it gets old and you wonder why there is no scoring. watch the gopher/mavs game and that's all that was going on. two teams with no skill players who grind the game to a halt = 1-1 games. by no means is this just in regards to the sioux players, but this is across the wcha. i hope to hell that it opens up in the ncaa's.

Just heard Lucia on the pregame say that they are calling it tighter during the Final Five. My assumption would be that is to try and condition the WCHA teams to what they'll face in the NCAA's. Fine time to try to be consistent.

There were a lot more penalties called on all teams it seems.