SiouxSports.com Forum

How can they? How can't they?

mikejm

It's been pretty apparent for at least a couple months now that there isn't a player on the ice who can out-play TJ Oshie. I've heard TH say on the away game broadcasts that Osh is a man among boys. The home games I've seen merely confirm Hennessey's observation. He battles through checks, double-teams, holds, grabs and still manages to find a passing lane, to spot a cutting teammate with a pass.

Oshie should be playing in the NHL right now; he simply is that good and that dominant in his play. We are being blessed with a bonus every time he skates a shift for the Sioux.

This will be blasphemous but Oshie is carrying the team's bucket right now the way Jon Toews never did. Jon was quietly superb; TJ is like a one-man wrecking crew who no one can stop. His dominance does not show up in the scoresheets the way a Hobey winner's tend to.

But I ask, is there a better player in college hockey this year? And if you answer in the way I think you will, how does TJ not get the Hobey? Isn't the award to recognize the best player?

I've expressed my disappointment with TJ's

Although I agree TJ is amazing and probably the best player in college hockey, his off-ice incidents (as you mentioned) will prevent him from having that chance. Your knock on Jonathan Toews is kinda upsetting....He was just as great defensively, and a lot smoother offensively. TJ and Jonathan are both great creators on offense, but in opposite ways.

he is the best player in college hockey... period

and he will not win the hobey or be in the hat trick... period

even without the off ice "distractions" if we may, he would probably still not be in the top three because he plays in the wcha, where the officials allow every other team to mug and tackle him all game long, and yet he still manages to be heads above the rest, but it does affect his numbers. tj is not about his numbers, he is about his team, but it is crazy that a talent like him doesn't have twice the numbers he does. we are very lucky to have seen tj in a sioux uniform for three seasons, he could be doing the nhl grind just like jt is, but chose to come back one more year for his team and his university. i completely agree that if the hobey was just about who is the best college hockey player, not who has the best numbers and avoided any public scrutiny, then it would be his hands down, but it will not happen.

tj is the best player in hockey and yes the off ice thing will hurt him in the hobey. thats just the truth as ive heard thats the reason he wont get much consideration because its pretty easy to see what he brings every game. my favorite sioux player hands down all time. tj has one thing on his mind right now and thats #8 along with all his teammates. jonny toews didnt have a flaw in his game either. tj just sticks out big time with his huge checks and his balls to the wall play all the time. hes special and lets enjoy the last month and a half we have to watch him along with this team who seems to also have 1 thing in mind!

It's been pretty apparent for at least a couple months now that there isn't a player on the ice who can out-play TJ Oshie. I've heard TH say on the away game broadcasts that Osh is a man among boys. The home games I've seen merely confirm Hennessey's observation. He battles through checks, double-teams, holds, grabs and still manages to find a passing lane, to spot a cutting teammate with a pass.

Oshie should be playing in the NHL right now; he simply is that good and that dominant in his play. We are being blessed with a bonus every time he skates a shift for the Sioux.

This will be blasphemous but Oshie is carrying the team's bucket right now the way Jon Toews never did. Jon was quietly superb; TJ is like a one-man wrecking crew who no one can stop. His dominance does not show up in the scoresheets the way a Hobey winner's tend to.

But I ask, is there a better player in college hockey this year? And if you answer in the way I think you will, how does TJ not get the Hobey? Isn't the award to recognize the best player?

...Your knock on Jonathan Toews is kinda upsetting....

That was no knock on JT at all. I simply think Oshie is a more dominant hockey player than Jonathan ever was in his two years of college hockey. And for that matter I think TJ is playing at a higher level today than his linemate Duncan did last year on the way to winning the Hobey. This kid is "NHL-ready" right now; he'll slip on a Blue sweater in mid April and fit right in the lineup there immediately.

Obviously Toews was NHL-ready, too. I don't mean any disrespect to him at all.

I've seen in person over the years at least half of the Hobey Baker award winners. I do not recall a single one of them being so involved in every play, every shift, every game. And that includes Hrkac.

I think I have seen a lot of great players - But TJ is without a doubt the best puck handling & most tenacious - give it your all player I have seen & I believe he will even get better

It has been very special to see him play - I will always remember him

TJ is a great player, but like the others have said. In an award based on on ice and off ice behavior....getting charged with things twice in 11 months does not help you. TJ is a great guy, yes, but his past extra curriculars mean no Hobey.

last years incident doenst have anything to do with this season and this years hobey. this years incident is what will keep him off the final 3. phil will just take that spot then :D

tj is the best overall player in college hockey and has shown that every weekend

I agree with everything everyone's said, but TJ's ability to drop a player who's coming in to check him is unbelievable. I've never seen a player who's able to do that.

I haven't seen a player take a beating every shift like this since Zach Parise.

thats exactly who i talk about when comparing tj to a former sioux player ebcause of pure skill but tj has the physical game to go along with the skill and skating. i think he and that line are gona have a big weekend at the decc

I think that Johnny Toews is actually more skilled than TJ. He was just so smooth and played both ends the same way.

BUT I think TJ Oshiie is by far the most exciting player in college hockey. Man are the St Louis Blues fans going to love him. He will be a fan favorite like he is at UND.

He will not win the Hobey and will probably not even be in the top 10. His stats don't match up with the top forwards and his off ice excapades hurt.

Let's enjoy him and hope he can lead us to that 8th national crown that he and his teamates are shooting for.

This is the year we didn't get to see when Zach left after two.

In regards to JT, I think I'm not alone in thinking what I thought early in his Sioux career: that he would eventually be the best player to have worn the sweater. Silky smooth with the brain and heart to match. However, he simply did not dominate in college the way Oshie has this year, and it's not a knock on JT to think that. He was 18. Not able to physically dominate as a result.

People worry about the Sioux adjusting their game for tighter officiating in the NCAAs. I say good luck stopping TJ without standard WCHA methods.

I can't get over the Hrkac hurdle. No doubt TJ's physical play gives him an edge in versatility, but I've still never seen anyone dominate the college game like Hrkac. However, in 20 years, people will still be talking about Oshie the way we talk about Hrkac.

I agree that the STL fans will absolutely love him.

Thanks for starting the thread.

That was no knock on JT at all. I simply think Oshie is a more dominant hockey player than Jonathan ever was in his two years of college hockey. And for that matter I think TJ is playing at a higher level today than his linemate Duncan did last year on the way to winning the Hobey. This kid is "NHL-ready" right now; he'll slip on a Blue sweater in mid April and fit right in the lineup there immediately.

Obviously Toews was NHL-ready, too. I don't mean any disrespect to him at all.

I've seen in person over the years at least half of the Hobey Baker award winners. I do not recall a single one of them being so involved in every play, every shift, every game. And that includes Hrkac.

TJ plays with more grit than Toews but I do not think he will match Toews in terms of scoring at the NHL level....that being said I have never seen a player play with more heart and determination than Oshie in my years of following Sioux hockey. His passion for the game and dedication to the Sioux program is AWESOME!!!

I agree with everything everyone's said, but TJ's ability to drop a player who's coming in to check him is unbelievable. I've never seen a player who's able to do that.

I haven't seen a player take a beating every shift like this since Zach Parise.

The difference is Oshie handles the physical play better than Zach. Zach is probably a more gifted offensive player (by a slight margin) but Oshie is way more physical and you try and check him....well good luck!! 9.9 times out of 10 the player trying to make the hit is going to get the worst of it. No wonder John Davidson said TJ could make a collect call to him if he changed his mind about returing this year! The Blues have a gem! He was awesome as a freshman and hasn't stopped since!

I really wish there was a statistic on "penalties drawn". TJO would be leading the NCAA in that category - maybe 3 per game. What's 3 powerplays worth ....

I still can remember how awesome he was on a line with Zajac and Sparky his freshman year...I think he had 25 goals or so his frosh year. I still remember that awesome play he made against Michigan in the regional where he bulldozed a Michigan guy made a great stickhandling move and fed it to Zajac for a one time goal!!

There is little doubt that Oshie is the best player in all of college hockey.

The Hobey recognizes achievements and excellence both on and off the ice. What has not been said or written much here, at least yet,

is everything TJ does to advance the game off of the ice. He does boatloads of things as a goodwill ambassador to the game. He regularly donates his time and his talents to youth organizations across the country, from Alaska, to Seattle, to Warroad, and to Grand Forks. He has a commitment to helping kids on The Rez understand that there is a world of opportunity that awaits them as long as they work to better themselves through eductation and determination. He is, and will continue to be, a great role model off of the ice. For kids of all backgrounds, but especially for those with native blood.

TJ epitomizes what the Hobey is all about. Sadly, too many who live in glass houses will point to the "elevator incident" without knowing or willing to hear the full story, and will claim that that ten minutes of youth should somehow erase his years of hard work, dedication, and service to the community.

TJ does deserve the Hobey. I ain't ruling him out yet. The biggest obstacle, of course, is the eastern bias. The WCHA has taken what, three Hobey trophies in a row? I will be stunned if the committee awards a fourth. However, should they let reason prevail, and should they watch game tapes and highlight film instead if simply sticking their noses into scoring summaries, and should they look closely at what all candidates do off of the ice on a regularly recurring basis, rather than for ten minutes on one Saturday night, TJ will win the Hobey Baker. Hands down.

First off, let me say I don't think TJ will win the Hobey. He should, but I don't think he will. There is lots of talk that TJ "pissed" his way out of it. While I don't condone his behavior, I get very frustrated that there is so much talk within the "hockey press" that Nathan Gerbe from BC is a "legitimate" contender for it. Gerbe has been "warned" twice by the HE league and then suspended for at least one game by the HE LEAGUE for dirty "on ice" incidents, one of which was butt ending another player. The "hockey press" has consistantly said "to err is human, to forgive is divine" and that those incidents should be overlooked and the "whole" of his play should be considered.

If in truth the Hobey is decided on the whole of a players accomplishments and character, TJ wins this hands down.

Edit: It would be cool if someone could put together a video of all the times TJ has fought his way through "checks" (make that tackles) to make a play to be sent to the Hobey judges - it probably wouldn't be considered, but it would be nice to know they at least had the "evidence" and then chose to ignore it.