SiouxSports.com Forum

How can they? How can't they?

mikejm

I tend to agree with what mikejm is saying about Toews vs. Oshie. Toews very well may (and probably will) end up having a more successful NHL career, but during their time at UND, I believe Oshie has more often displayed the ability to put the team on his back when they've needed him to. I think back to the 3rd period SHG he scored against BC in the Frozen Four last season.

T.J. has talent, physicality, strenght, incredible instinct, personality, humility, and is a great ambassador for UND. I hope the Hobey committee looks at all of it and looks at the other candidates 'indiscretions' and realize that T.J. is indeed, the perfect Hobey Baker recipient for 2008!!

T.J. and Jonny are both very talented young men with different styles. On the ice, T.J. looks more like the work horse he is, using his skills in a visibly more physical way while Jonny displays his skills in a smoother, effortless looking manner. Fighting Sioux fans have been honored to have both these young men play for our program. Having T.J. an extra year is indeed a blessing!!

While we have/have had these 'stars', we can't overlook the tremendous amount of talent on the team without which these boys could not have shone so brightly!

It sure is nice seeing support for the kid after a very tough January. Since his return, the Sioux are 12-0-1 and Oshie' presence has been felt. The goal he set up last night for Kozek was one of grit, toughness, talent, and heart. It is the same stuff he's done for UND since his arrival and will do until the day he leaves. He never gives up on a play, his teammates and this heralded university. That is the fabric of what a Hobey Baker Candidate is all about.

The Hobey Baker is without a doubt the staple of NCAA College Hockey. Is the Hobey in the sights for another UND player, it's going be tough but time will tell.

The previous posters have sum'd up T.J. Oshie with all the right credentials. His dedication and commitment to the communities of greater Grand Forks / EGF / Warroad / Seattle are second to none.

Grandforkshockey summed it up with his incredible comments earlier today.

The greater Grand Forks community is very commited to the UND Fighting Sioux hockey program, as they are to all sports. When times are tough that's when people need to rally for one of their own.

Congrat's to all the young men and women that represent the greatest college atmosphere in North America, the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux!!!

T.J. has talent, physicality, strenght, incredible instinct, personality, humility, and is a great ambassador for UND. I hope the Hobey committee looks at all of it and looks at the other candidates 'indiscretions' and realize that T.J. is indeed, the perfect Hobey Baker recipient for 2008!!

T.J. and Jonny are both very talented young men with different styles. On the ice, T.J. looks more like the work horse he is, using his skills in a visibly more physical way while Jonny displays his skills in a smoother, effortless looking manner. Fighting Sioux fans have been honored to have both these young men play for our program. Having T.J. an extra year is indeed a blessing!!

While we have/have had these 'stars', we can't overlook the tremendous amount of talent on the team without which these boys could not have shone so brightly!

If anyone has noticed lately Oshie has really played like a man possesed. This past weekend he was nothing short of awesome.

I tend to agree with what mikejm is saying about Toews vs. Oshie. Toews very well may (and probably will) end up having a more successful NHL career, but during their time at UND, I believe Oshie has more often displayed the ability to put the team on his back when they've needed him to. I think back to the 3rd period SHG he scored against BC in the Frozen Four last season.

You only got to see Toews play DI as a teenager so any comparison is a moot point.

Certainly nobody would take away anything on Jonathan Toews. But TJ's pedel to the metal style of play is so much fun to watch. Couple that with the skill he has it's just amazing.

In a lesser way it seems that Russ Romaniuk had a style of play coupled with skill closest to TJ.

TJ knows this is his last chance at the National Championship. He won a state championship, and will have many years to get a Stanley Cup, but if he wants a triple crown, there's only one option.

Last time I checked he was only a junior. Realistically he is probably ready for the NHL, but who knows? If it doesn't happen this year, he may decide to do it again just for our benefit. :blush:

Last time I checked he was only a junior. Realistically he is probably ready for the NHL, but who knows? If it doesn't happen this year, he may decide to do it again just for our benefit. :blush:

I'm pretty sure that TJ has always had the dream of winning back to back NCAA titles.....

TJ probably won't win the Hobey (for reasons 'mikejm' details in the first post of the thread). Plus, many voters will just look at numbers and Kevin Porter has the inside track on that one. Toss in Duncan winning it for UND last year and it's (sadly) done.

So, TJ will just have to work to take a different prize ...

Stuff in the lobby is nice; but banners in the arena are fun too. :blush:

99.999999999%, I guess that is close enough for me to just call it 100% that he's in a Blues sweater when this season is over.

exactly, the blues are just hoping they can stay in the playoff race for that last spot somehow. we all know tj is gone. im ready to sit back and enjoy the run he and the team will be going on!!

TJ probably won't win the Hobey (for reasons 'mikejm' details in the first post of the thread). Plus, many voters will just look at numbers and Kevin Porter has the inside track on that one. Toss in Duncan winning it for UND last year and it's (sadly) done.

So, TJ will just have to work to take a different prize ...

Stuff in the lobby is nice; but banners in the arena are fun too. ;)

I think they put that trophy in the lobby too.... :blush: