SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Dave Hakstol

The Walrus

Once again get over it. This is NOT Haks low point. He got mad let the ref know his is #1 and later apologized for his actions. I swear some of the people in this world are getting way to up-tight. Its HOCKEY!

IT'S THE FINGER GET OVER IT!

Hak was just being sympathetic to deaf people. Sign-langauge is something we should all learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_q8OR2c4Q :angry:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what Hak was telling Adam. ;)

I want a transcript of what Genoway was telling Barriball (?) when coming back from break the one time. :angry:

I think it was Fairchild he was chirping with. It looked like they were both enjoying the spat as well. I did hear something Genoway said about "ooooo, so you played high school hockey!".

As far as Hak goes, it's a heated game and there is going to be profanity but there is a line that should not be crossed and he knows it. He manned up to it right away and is doing the right thing right away, and good for him. As far as I'm concerned it's behind him/us now.

Once again get over it. This is NOT Haks low point. He got mad let the ref know his is #1 and later apologized for his actions. I swear some of the people in this world are getting way to up-tight. Its HOCKEY!

IT'S THE FINGER GET OVER IT!

Hak was just being sympathetic to deaf people. Sign-langauge is something we should all learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_q8OR2c4Q :angry:

Was that Stu Bickel on that rant in the clip?

While watching the bench discussion, I scratched my head thinking "did that just happen?" Using the magic of TiVo, I went back and was able to freeze on a crystal clear image of Hak's bird. Fantastic! I fell on the floor laughing. It is just part of a terrific evening of hostility and abusiveness served up by our Fighting Sioux. Prpich would have loved this game.

Got news for the "class police" out there. Hockey's a rough sport. There's plenty of bad language and nasty behavior by all involved. I think I'm more impressed with Hak after this. They guy finally showed some fire, came unglued, and now feels bad about it. That's emotion. That's heart. He's human.

We all get pissed, launch off, and then regret it later. Not many, however, have a camera there while it happens.

taz

Agree. Why was no outrage and talk of fines and suspensions garnered by the Mankato and UW coaches, earlier this year? Can you say "Hypocricy"?

this is getting blown way out of proportion and could somebody please tell me what the difference between Hak flipping the bird or watching all these players, coaches and refs use the "f" word all throughout games is. nothing. Did Hak use some poor judgement, yes. did he man up and apologize for it, yes. let's move on.

In fact a couple of years I was sitting right behind the Sioux bench at the Ralph and thank God there were no kids around with all the profanity being flung around even by refs when Derek Shperd skated up to the bench and told Hak he f***ed up about something and he wasn't quiet about it either.

I think it was Fairchild he was chirping with. It looked like they were both enjoying the spat as well. I did hear something Genoway said about "ooooo, so you played high school hockey!".

As far as Hak goes, it's a heated game and there is going to be profanity but there is a line that should not be crossed and he knows it. He manned up to it right away and is doing the right thing right away, and good for him. As far as I'm concerned it's behind him/us now.

Mike McNamara was just talking about this. I tend to agree with him that FSN is just asking for it by showing heated arguments like this, and they indeed might even want this to get on TV. Let's face it, everything on TV now is about conflict, and FSN is just trying to take advantage of that. If they were like Denny Green, they would take the high road and not show it. Hakstol screwed up, but it kind of echoed the sentiments of Sioux fans that can't believe that Duncan's check from behind get's him booted and whoever checked Trupp from behind is allowed to get off, while the gophers got a powerplay out of the deal. Obviously Hakstol is held to a higher standard than the fans, and should be, but Adam needs to be judged on his poor checking from behind judgement in the past and present.

It was a stupid move by Hak, and one that will follow him for the rest of his career. In some ways, that will be worse than a game suspension. All other WCHA fans now have excellent fodder for tweaking Hak and Sioux fans.

The two complaints I have here are the allegations against Adams and FSN. Some here claim Adams must have been swearing too, and there is no proof of that. You can not even assume that.

The second are allegations that FSN was setting up Hak or had an agenda. They commonly have cameras and mics covering both benches. Hak got more coverage because Hak put on more of a show, ala Bobby Knight. If Lucia had been swearing of flipping the bird, we would have seen/heard that too.

At the end of the day, i loved everything about this game except the finger. Not that it is a criminal offense. I just expect the players to be the ones to get rowdy, and the coaches to maintain some order.

I hope the officiating thread is longer than this one. The more I think about it, he screwed up and will pay the fan piper for years. I wouldn't be suprised to see all types of birds at Sioux games from now on. His actions were cl...a momentary lapse in judgement. Guys give other guys the bird all the time, we call each other much worse as best of friends. Although, he is in a position where it should result in some type of suspension or fine and then be done with. The bottom line is my concern is the cause, not the effect. The officiating has to be dealt with, sooner rather than later. Both teams felt they needed to deal with things themselves, both teams thought the officials werent handling it correctly and it escalated to the mess at the end. Bottom line is a black eye for the WCHA, its time for some make up remover courtesy of the league.

It was a stupid move by Hak, and one that will follow him for the rest of his career. In some ways, that will be worse than a game suspension. All other WCHA fans now have excellent fodder for tweaking Hak and Sioux fans.

The two complaints I have here are the allegations against Adams and FSN. Some here claim Adams must have been swearing too, and there is no proof of that. You can not even assume that.

The second are allegations that FSN was setting up Hak or had an agenda. They commonly have cameras and mics covering both benches. Hak got more coverage because Hak put on more of a show, ala Bobby Knight. If Lucia had been swearing of flipping the bird, we would have seen/heard that too.

At the end of the day, i loved everything about this game except the finger. Not that it is a criminal offense. I just expect the players to be the ones to get rowdy, and the coaches to maintain some order.

This will not follow him for the rest of his career. :angry:

Hey USA-

What more do I want? Some who represents this university and community with some class. Can you imagine Don Lucia doing that? Never would happen!!

How about Doug Woog? Maybe and I would love to see the outcry if he did on this board.

Apology can be excepted, but at some point you need to be responsible for you actions.

While I don't condone what Haks did.

You really need to take off the rose colored glasses, I can't count the times I have watched FSN and heard Lucia say "bull$hit" or drop the f-bomb on TV. Woog's even been caught saying it when he has been doing the commentary. Woog even admitted it on TV that he was suspended for something he said.

Every coach and player on the ice has been guilt of that, so enough.

What's classless is you deny that Lucia or Woog are "above that".

and the coaches to maintain some order.
the Refs. make that pretty hard to do - I see this as more proof that things are out of whack & that we all deserve better

I doubt the NCAA would approve the Fighting Fingers :angry:

the Refs. make that pretty hard to do - I see this as more proof that things are out of whack & that we all deserve better

I doubt the NCAA would approve the Fighting Fingers :angry:

THE FIGHTING FINGERS!

I bet we would sell a !@#$ load of those foam fingers.

Sure WE have all done it - but please enlighten us with a name or two of a major college or pro coach who has flipped off a referee.

I have never ever seen it in the thousands of live and televised games I have witnessed.

But let's "move on" as quickly as possible now so we don't have to acknowledge just how bush league our coach looks.

do you not know who bob knight is? sure he flipped his lid a bunch of times but he got results and he only wanted the best out of his players and the best for them, sure people are going to get upset right away but in the end they just reminise about the times he did it and laugh about it! we will pretend you didnt say anything about watching thousands of live and televised games! :angry:

By following him for the rest of his career, I did not mean in a negative way, more like the way Wooger got hassled for the whole whole money in a hat thing. it almost becomes a joke. Professionally, it will mark Hak for a little while, but it wont scar him for life among the hockey world.

do you not know who bob knight is? sure he flipped his lid a bunch of times but he got results and he only wanted the best out of his players and the best for them, sure people are going to get upset right away but in the end they just reminise about the times he did it and laugh about it! we will pretend you didnt say anything about watching thousands of live and televised games! :angry:

Wow - Bobby Knight - now there's someone to hold up as a shining example - great comeback.

And funny - I never heard of coach Knight flipping an official off.

So your point is - if the coach gets results - it's ok to be a jerk.

Wow - Bobby Knight - now there's someone to hold up as a shining example - great comeback.

And funny - I never heard of coach Knight flipping an official off.

So your point is - if the coach gets results - it's ok to be a jerk.

Whatever your views on Knight being a "jerk", at least his players graduate and are probably more literate than most NC$$ bouncyball players.

And if you're so upset about somebody flipping "the bird" perhaps this isn't the sport for you. Synchronized swimming is available somewhere. :angry:

This appears to be an unbiased view of the events - but since it paints the Sioux in an unflattering light - it can't possibly be unbiased.

http://www.westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/

Edited by moderator -- please do not copy articles from other sites in their entirety -- use selective quotes

Back on November 12th, I wrote this: "If somebody had come up to me on Friday afternoon and said, "Hey, there's going to be two huge fights this weekend. Who do you think will start them?" I would have quickly responded with "North Dakota and the Russians"(FWIW, that's also the answer to "Which two teams are run by the Mafia?")."

I keep telling you all that "The Mafia" would be a great moniker. ;):angry:

1. 99.99999% of Fighting Sioux hockey fans agree, it was a stupid move by Hak.

2. '....follow him for the rest of his life.' :angry: I can just hear a conversation ten years from now, "Just read another article on Hakstol, the coach who took the Sioux to the Final Four the first 3 (4, 5, 6, etc) years he was coach at UND. Oh yeah and remember that horrible, career ending bird he flipped to the ref, what's his name, the guy working at MacDonald's, you know who I mean...'

Afro, I posted a couple of links for you about coaches flipping the bird. Neither one was Knight. I don't believe either one is in prison, living under a bridge or serving fries at a fast food establishment.

Whatever your views on Knight being a "jerk", at least his players graduate and are probably more literate than most NC$$ bouncyball players.

And if you're so upset about somebody flipping "the bird" perhaps this isn't the sport for you. Synchronized swimming is available somewhere. :angry:

Scott M -

I am not upset at all about Hak flipping off Adam - I think it's great and I'm glad he did it.

And Sioux-Cia - thanks for the links - although it appears you had to dig pretty deep for them.

And even more to the point - I stated that I had never seen a coach flip off a referee.

Funny - but both of your links are obscure examples of coaches flipping off the other team.

Did you even look at them?

So I am stiil waiting . . . . .

Time for you to go back and scour the web and You Tube to try to justify it.

Just let me know I'm sure they are out there somewhere???

1. 99.99999% of Fighting Sioux hockey fans agree, it was a stupid move by Hak.

2. '....follow him for the rest of his life.' :angry: I can just hear a conversation ten years from now, "Just read another article on Hakstol, the coach who took the Sioux to the Final Four the first 3 (4, 5, 6, etc) years he was coach at UND. Oh yeah and remember that horrible, career ending bird he flipped to the ref, what's his name, the guy working at MacDonald's, you know who I mean...'

Afro, I posted a couple of links for you about coaches flipping the bird. Neither one was Knight. I don't believe either one is in prison, living under a bridge or serving fries at a fast food establishment.

I have to believe that Hakstol would get suspended 1 game for this.

If Hakstol had SAID that to Adams, he would have been kicked off of the bench for the rest of the game.

Suspend him, and forget about it............not that big of a deal.

Scott M -

I am not upset at all about Hak flipping off Adam - I think it's great and I'm glad he did it.

Well he certainly deserved it, but it's not a good thing for the school. On the other hand I'll bet the players LOVE it and will play all the harder because of it!

And Sioux-Cia - thanks for the links - although it appears you had to dig pretty deep for them.

And even more to the point - I stated that I had never seen a coach flip off a referee.

Funny - but both of your links are obscure examples of coaches flipping off the other team.

Did you even look at them?

So I am stiil waiting . . . . .

Time for you to go back and scour the web and You Tube to try to justify it.

Just let me know I'm sure they are out there somewhere???

Oh gee, I'm so embarassed! :angry: I guess since you've never seen it, it's never happened. I spent two minutes last night getting those links for you. But links won't be the same as you're seeing it, so I won't bother! ;)

Oh and where in any of my posts have I 'justified' what Hak did? Don't start posting things you think I said without a direct link to my having said it. I don't appreciate it!! ;)

My question about this whole incident was, "How in the world did FSN always have a camera over Hak's shoulder for the entire game?" Did they have a camera assigned to him? Especially so in the conversations he had with Adams. These were aside talks that every coach has with refs during a game, but the cameras (with audio) always seemed to be there for Hak on Saturday. (Followed by incredulous comments by Woog and Moz). (BTH, anyone else see the irony in Woog's comments how suspension was coming off this? No flashbacks on FSN to 1996?)

That shouldn't be happening and it does prove they are out to show UND in a poor light.