SiouxSports.com Forum

Nate Hagemo

UND92,96

Nate was a member of Team USA that played in the 2005 World Jr. Tournament in Grand Forks. As a volunteer for the tournament I had the opportunity to spend a great deal of time with all of the players from Team USA. Nate was one of my favorites. He was very respectful, soft spoken, and humble. He had an injury coming into the tournament. In fact, his coach, Don Lucia did not want Nate to take part in the tournament and risk further injury. Nate wanted to represent his country and decided to play anyway. Long story short, Nate reinjured the shoulder in the Tournament and never fully recovered and was forced to quit the game he loved. I am assuming that this has led to the sad story we are talking about today. I ask all of you to give the kid a break...

I agree.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he put himself in this position and caught, his fault...

dont feel bad for hagemo one bit. he got himself in trouble not he has to deal with it. that goes for anyone choosing to that crap.

He was born to play hockey and thats all he knew and when that was taken away from him he turned to drugs, now i am not saying drugs are the answer but a lot of people turn to drugs(alcohol, weed, herion, X) when they lose something they have done there whole life. Hopefully this is what he needed and he finally gets the help he needs because it pains me to see anyone go through this type of thing.

I don't care if he is a ex-gopher or ex-Sioux. He made a mistake, we all do. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and hope that he can come back from this. The disappointment from his injury had to be severe. No excuse, but you have to feel for this kid. Without the injury he is probably a professional hockey player right now.

Amen

give him a break?? sorry........ 2 of my best friends got caught in some serious stuff but when he was doing it i didnt have anything to do with him as you only can reach out so many times and spend so much time trying to help without them doing thier part. my buddies were idiots for doing it just like this situation but finally got help. we feel sorry for a guy whos sticking needles in himself for a nice high but people can nail tj oshie to a stake for making a very minor mistake in life which is a joke. happens all the time and im over this type of stuff. like i said i have been through this situation with a close friends who are now clean as can be but i didnt feel sorry for him one bit when he chose to get messed up every single day of his life after getting addicted. im as compassionate as a person can be as well with family and friends, just dont feel sorry for a guy like this as the only reason we found out about it is because he got caught.

give him a break?? sorry........ 2 of my best friends got caught in some serious stuff but when he was doing it i didnt have anything to do with him as you only can reach out so many times and spend so much time trying to help without them doing thier part. my buddies were idiots for doing it just like this situation but finally got help. we feel sorry for a guy whos sticking needles in himself for a nice high but people can nail tj oshie to a stake for making a very minor mistake in life which is a joke. happens all the time and im over this type of stuff. like i said i have been through this situation with a close friends who are now clean as can be but i didnt feel sorry for him one bit when he chose to get messed up every single day of his life after getting addicted. im as compassionate as a person can be as well with family and friends, just dont feel sorry for a guy like this as the only reason we found out about it is because he got caught.

No one knows the whole story, we dont know if he has been trying to get help or not. It seems to me that you are nailing this kid for making a big mistake which would almost make you like the people going after oshie. It's not like the kid was an all time user of drugs, he got caught up into something after his life was pretty much taken away and I am sure he regrets it but to go after him for a situation many of us don't know is ridiculous. I know you mean well but i am sure this is the wake up call the kid needs to get help and thats what some people need. This isn't a smack in the face to you AZ but to me I believe there is good in everyone and people screw up and deserve a 2nd chance.

No one knows the whole story, we dont know if he has been trying to get help or not. It seems to me that you are nailing this kid for making a big mistake which would almost make you like the people going after oshie. It's not like the kid was an all time user of drugs, he got caught up into something after his life was pretty much taken away and I am sure he regrets it but to go after him for a situation many of us don't know is ridiculous. I know you mean well but i am sure this is the wake up call the kid needs to get help and thats what some people need. This isn't a smack in the face to you AZ but to me I believe there is good in everyone and people screw up and deserve a 2nd chance.

of course everyone deserves a 2nd chance in life, hell 3rd, 4th and 5th chances really. i didnt nail hagemo to any stake in my post like you said. i simply stated i dont feel bad for him as i have been through this crap with 2 of my best friends. pretty simple on my end. obviously its a wake up call when you get arrested but its up tho the person to change thier life for the better. how do you know is drug history?? you dont and either do i. we dont know any of that and its non of our business anyways.

It's not like the kid was an all time user of drugs, he got caught up into something after his life was pretty much taken away ...

Contrary to many people's belief, sports/hockey do not make up a persons life. Many of us love sports and have had to give them up because of injury, talent, or the end of our eligibility. Drugs and addiction are very separate in my opinion. It sucks that he lost the opportunity to play professionally, but hockey also opened doors to him that many people never walk through. I hope that he gets the treatment he needs and can separate himself from the negative influences he allowed into his life.

A close relative became addicted to drugs after he broke his pelvis in a car accident around 5 years ago. He was in a lot of pain for a long time and still is. Things didn't heal right, I'm don't know what the problem is. What ever it is, the doctors told the family that he's always going to be in pain at one level or another. He's a great guy but started abusing drugs to help control his pain. Things got really bad for him and still aren't 'normal'. He goes to a pain clinic now.

I would agree and did mention in my blog post that everyone is considered innocent and till proven guilty by a jury of their peers.

I hope if the kid has an issue he gets it worked out.

Sympathy is only found in one place. That is between shyt and syphilis in the dictionary. How much sympathy do any of you have for the people who live at the mission or do you drive by them and tell them to get a job? If Hagemo had not played hockey none of you I think would even care.

Sympathy is only found in one place. That is between shyt and syphilis in the dictionary. How much sympathy do any of you have for the people who live at the mission or do you drive by them and tell them to get a job? If Hagemo had not played hockey none of you I think would even care.

Anyone who has never self-medicated with any substance for any reason may cast the first stone. Chronic pain is a monster, the addiction process is very complex and often mis-understood by those who have no experience with it.

I hope the kid has the support structure and mental wherewithal to beat this. I wish him the best.

He's made a mistake in his life.

He's getting another chance.

I'm more interested in what he's going to do with that second chance than the mistake he made.

Best post on here. THe common theme here is that EVRYONE makes mistakes. The real issue is how you deal with these mistakes. At the end of the day, it's going to be up to Nate to decide which way he wants this thing to go.

But, at the same time, remember, that people always have choices to make. In this case he made a choice to put himself in that position. Hopefully, he will now make the right the choice, and do what what is neccesary to live a good and productive life. Some people choose to do that, sadly, a lot people choose not too.

Anyone who has never self-medicated with any substance for any reason may cast the first stone. Chronic pain is a monster, the addiction process is very complex and often mis-understood by those who have no experience with it.

I hope the kid has the support structure and mental wherewithal to beat this. I wish him the best.

Well said. Life is about second chances and redemption. Here's hoping Nate is surrounded by supportive, non-judgmental family, friends and former team mates. Looking backward serves no constructive purpose - he has a long and hopefully very productive life ahead of him. Good luck, Nate.

What this kid needs is a 6 month stint in either St. Cloud or Stillwater to wake him up. His attempted burglary and failure to take a sobriety test shows that he does not understand reality yet.

Maybe you should cut off his left foot so he can't run from the cops again.

Have you ever met an addict who's 6 months in Stillwater or St. Cloud did them better than treatment? I haven't. But then maybe you hang out in different circles than I.

Maybe you should cut off his left foot so he can't run from the cops again.

Have you ever met an addict who's 6 months in Stillwater or St. Cloud did them better than treatment? I haven't. But then maybe you hang out in different circles than I.

He needs do to some time before treatment. He will learn the facts of life real fast in either St. Cloud or Stillwater. Even a stint in the HCWH would do him a world of good. Coddeled children sometimes need a slap in the face to realize what it is all about. How many people do you know that have done time in either St. Cloud or Stillwater?

He needs do to some time before treatment. He will learn the facts of life real fast in either St. Cloud or Stillwater. Even a stint in the HCWH would do him a world of good. Coddeled children sometimes need a slap in the face to realize what it is all about. How many people do you know that have done time in either St. Cloud or Stillwater?

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here. No one is saying Hagemo shouldn't be accountable for his actions, but from everything that I've read (and there hasn't been much available) this kid isn't a hardened criminal. For most people, the humiliation of having the story of your arrest and your picture in the paper is a pretty good "slap in the face".

We know precious little about what's transpired in the last few months of his life, and frankly it's between Nate and his family (and now the court system) to work it out. I still wish him the best.

Maybe this is the event that signifies "rock bottom" for Hagemo. It sometimes take a life shattering event to make them come around.

I had thought that this comeback pre-season would be a big help in it, but I'm starting to think that the failure of him to make a comeback did more damage than the prospect of making a return did good.

His situation (injury not arrest) reminds me of former Ranger goaltender Dan Blackburn. That guy had tons of talent and and arm injury basically ended his dream.

I hope he hit rock bottom so he can head back up into happiness and a new life.

i say give the kid a break....besides who are we to judge on this internet board? I am sure plenty of us have made plenty of mistakes in our lives. Let the justice system take its course. wish nothing but the best for this kid. I am sure the fact that he cannot play hockey anymore made him depressed, not that that is an excuse but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Just like we would if this was a sioux player.

i say give the kid a break....besides who are we to judge on this internet board? I am sure plenty of us have made plenty of mistakes in our lives. Let the justice system take its course. wish nothing but the best for this kid. I am sure the fact that he cannot play hockey anymore made him depressed, not that that is an excuse but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Just like we would if this was a sioux player.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the comments about Hagemo, I'm proud of most of you guys for having some class and sympathy for this young man--even if he was a Gopher. He is like family to me and and while he has a long road ahead of him, he is surrounded by people who care about him and I believe he will once again become the Nate he used to be(with or without hockey). For those of you who judged him, you don't know the circumstances unless any of you losers were world-class athletes who were given Oxycontin just to be able to perform. I'm not making excuses as he was weak and couldn't deal with the pain and kick his addiction but before you make accusations and assumptions, get your facts straight.

For the rest of you, you're good people and that is why I love the people I've met over the years from the UND community. I assure you if Nate were a Sioux player, the Gopher fans would have eviscerated him.