SiouxSports.com Forum

No talk about Phil?

richthorpe

I think Phil should have gotten the #1 or #2 star last night...

He made 4 point blank unreal saves...

I would have went

#1 Star-Oshie

#2 Star-Phil

#3 Star-Trupp

Ya, there goalie did ok, but he looked bad many times...I disagree with UAA's goalie getting the 3rd Star big time...

Hate to disagree, but Phil wasn't very sharp last night by what I saw. The goal he allowed was ugly: he had no clue as to where the puck was. Granted, there was a lot of traffic, but he made the first stop and then lost it. As I mentioned elsewhere he was the beneficiary of a post and at least one, maybe two crossbars. I don't see him as a star of the game by any measure.

Hate to disagree, but Phil wasn't very sharp last night by what I saw. The goal he allowed was ugly: he had no clue as to where the puck was. Granted, there was a lot of traffic, but he made the first stop and then lost it. As I mentioned elsewhere he was the beneficiary of a post and at least one, maybe two crossbars. I don't see him as a star of the game by any measure.

I agree.

I can go with JPL not being one of the game stars last night, but I don't agree he had a poor game. He let in one goal and made several point blank saves. Yes, they hit a couple of pipes but that is part of the goalie's defense. Some people just aren't satisfied unless every game is a shutout. I believe the Gophers would trade all three of their goalies for JPL right now.

I can go with JPL not being one of the game stars last night, but I don't agree he had a poor game. He let in one goal and made several point blank saves. Yes, they hit a couple of pipes but that is part of the goalie's defense. Some people just aren't satisfied unless every game is a shutout. I believe the Gophers would trade all three of their goalies for JPL right now.

I think you are right Siouxman.

I also agree that JPL wasn't one of the 3 stars last night....but I won't trade him in for any other goalie.

Philippe did a good job last night. Was he one of the top three? Probably not, IMHO. I am sooooo impressed by our freshman and only see a bright future for the team 'cause they're maturing so fast and doing so well!! Props to our coaches!!

TJ, Andrew, Evan, Chay, Joe all had a great night. But those Seahawks had a lot of near misses that would have resulted in goals had it not been for Philippe. The Seahawks goalie had a GREAT night. His first WCHA game, third string goalie and facing the Fighting Sioux in our house!!!!!! Good job on holding the Sioux to only three goalls!!

hate to disagree back, but the only goal he allowed, he was screened and didn't see, can't really blame him when he cant see. other than that, he stopped all shots faced. i think he was solid, again, and helped us to a win. ill take one goal allowed every day of the week and twice on sunday. as to your argument on hitting the post, yeah??, the goals are the same size for everyone, and if i recall, osh put a dent in the crossbar last night. i can't argue if you want to put osh, trupp, and kozek as the stars, they played great, id even put chay up there, but to say jpl wasn't sharp and doesn't deserve some recognition is laughable.

He is either one The Best or the Worst I've seen

& because some of his Best are so Good, you give him a break on the Bad

Agree, but without question his best has been on display much more than his worst this year. Easily one of the top 3 goalies in the WCHA.

:DI am sooooo impressed by our freshman and only see a bright future for the team 'cause they're maturing so fast and doing so well!! Props to our coaches!!

I agree totally with your assessment of the freshmen. Trupp seems to add a lot of energy when he is in there and scores when it is needed most. Marto and LaPointe play solid defense now and will only get better. Before he graduates Frattin will be a 20 goal scorer.

:DI am sooooo impressed by our freshman and only see a bright future for the team 'cause they're maturing so fast and doing so well!! Props to our coaches!!

I agree totally with your assessment of the freshmen. Trupp seems to add a lot of energy when he is in there and scores when it is needed most. Marto and LaPointe play solid defense now and will only get better. Before he graduates Frattin will be a 20 goal scorer.

Frattin and Trupp rocks and I like the new defenseman as well. I think the two freshman Frattin and Trupp are starting to make a serious contribution to the offensive numbers.

I'd like to see Frattin - Trup & Duncan together - beings Duncan could be back next year

I would love to see the Duncan, Oshie and Trupp line for more than three shifts.

I would like to see them against the Gophers for a whole weekend.

I guess I'll echo what most are saying in that I agree that Phil didn't deserve to be a top 3 star of the game.

I think that belongs to Oshie, Kozek, and Trupp (order to me is irrelevant) if we are going all Sioux.

If any goaltender were to be considered to be a star of the game, it would be Bryce Christianson of UAA. The guy single handedly prevented the Sioux from going double digits all over UAA.

I would be VERY surprised if Olthuis started tonight.

Phil had some game-changing saves at the end of the second period. UAA didn't have a ton of shots, but they had some Grade AA chances (that's like going to 11, or giving 110%). I couldn't see his first and third period saves very well, but the second period was right in front of me, and he kept it from being a 3-2 deficit after 2. I'm sure his defensemen appreciated him, because he bailed them out big-time several times during the game.

Phil had some game-changing saves at the end of the second period. UAA didn't have a ton of shots, but they had some Grade AA chances (that's like going to 11, or giving 110%). I couldn't see his first and third period saves very well, but the second period was right in front of me, and he kept it from being a 3-2 deficit after 2. I'm sure his defensemen appreciated him, because he bailed them out big-time several times during the game.

I thought Phil played well last night. I don't know why some think he played bad. opinions vary and we are all entitled to them.

This is no lie last night everytime I went to the men room I missed the goal, I missed the UAA goal, say it on the TV in the mens room, first two Sioux goals same thing. Someone asked me if I would head the washroom again.

I thought Phil played well last night. I don't know why some think he played bad. opinions vary and we are all entitled to them.

This is no lie last night everytime I went to the men room I missed the goal, I missed the UAA goal, say it on the TV in the mens room, first two Sioux goals same thing. Someone asked me if I would head the washroom again.

those tall beers are trouble ??? either risk missing a goal or wait in line all intermission... tough choices we sioux fans have to make :angry:

I'd like to see Frattin - Trup & Duncan together - beings Duncan could be back next year

Oshie Kozek & (maybe VV or Malone) did you see Malone Bear Hug & shake that guy last night & he got away with it too ???

I would like to see the lines say exactly how they are (with Davidson being on the 4th line)

Kozek-Oshie-Duncan

Kaip-VV-Watkins

Frattin-Trupp_Zajac

Radke-Malone-Davidson

That gives us 3 great lines that are all scoring threats and clicking very well together. That way if teams want to attempt to shut down the top line, the other 2 lines are very capable scoring threats. It makes for a very deep lineup. The 4th line provides the grind it out physical style hockey. I dont think Miller or Martens fit well for the 4th line compared to Davidson. I hope they roll with these lines and let the chemistry build now.

Phil only let in 1 goal on Friday. It's tough to say a goalie didn't play well if they only let in 1.

He was a rock this weekend, and outstanding tonite if not excellent last night. The Sioux owe Phil most of the 4 points they put on the ledger this weekend.