SiouxSports.com Forum

Why not choose Nodaks

darell1976

Why not choose Nodaks instead of choosing no nickname at all. Everyone will still call us Nodaks if we have no name, along with the no-namers, the Green and White, only a select few will say Fighting Sioux. So why not have Nodaks as the name. With Nodaks, we have a nickname, can keep the same boring UND logo that you can't merchandise much on and life goes on. Then you still have the 5 names for people to vote on.

Maybe things have changed, but growing up in North Dakota I never heard somebody from North Dakota call themselves or another North Dakotan a Nodak. It was something that I heard Minnesotans call North Dakotans after I moved down here, and it was usually derogatory.

• Upvote 1

Maybe things have changed, but growing up in North Dakota I never heard somebody from North Dakota call themselves or another North Dakotan a Nodak. It was something that I heard Minnesotans call North Dakotans after I moved down here, and it was usually derogatory.

I use Nodak all the time, many of my buddies do too.  But am not sold on the term for our school nickname.

• Upvote 2

I have an image in my mind of UND bb jerseys from 50s or 60s with Nodaks on them. Did that happen or was it a dream?

This is from Bismarck Tribune article - supposedly a pic from UND yearbook of a Freshman team.  Not sure of date, before 1930.

4d7e6b2be4cd8.image.jpg

I concur, it is used by our neighbors both to the east and west as a derogatory reference to North Dakotans, and generally they mean witless dullards when using it.

I recall Doug Woog using it often during Gopher-UND games.

I concur, it is used by our neighbors both to the east and west as a derogatory reference to North Dakotans, and generally they mean witless dullards when using it.

When I want to refer to a Minnesotan as a witless dullard, I call him a "gopher".

• Upvote 1

Nodaks has always been a semi-unofficial type of nickname for not only UND, but the entire state.  I think it can stay as such.  Having it as an "official" name is not much different than having no nickname at all, in my opinion.

IMO this is the best of the remaining options. Why do we care how someone from Glendive or Perham uses it? I am sure that Oklahomans once thought Sooners was "unimaginative", but it is a distinctive name for them now.

What? This is so far from the truth.

I've heard it used that way (as less than a compliment). 

Jesus dude! It would be like the last few years, the University of North Dakota!

Yep and marketing has sucked, and the name debate has been ongoing from the net to the paper to games. Can we have a game on ESPN or FSN where your non-nickname is not brought up. By just being North Dakota this nickname debate will never end!!

Having it (Nodaks) as an "official" name is not much different than having no nickname at all, in my opinion.

I agree, which is why I think its a good option circumventing having to take on an identity with which we have no tradition.

Yep and marketing has sucked, and the name debate has been ongoing from the net to the paper to games. Can we have a game on ESPN or FSN where your non-nickname is not brought up. By just being North Dakota this nickname debate will never end!!

Can't say I remember any mention of the nickname issue during all the games I watched last year.  What games are you refering to?  Was there something said during the final 4 or regionals?