SiouxSports.com Forum

Why not choose Nodaks

darell1976

The other problem with Nodaks was stated by someone (don't remember who) as Nod*ks.

To me "Nodak" will always either be the REC based in GF or a now defunct appliance store in Fargo or a term I'd always heard used in a neutral at best light (and would never use to describe myself).

Wow, you had to reply to the same quote twice.

Jayson has plenty of real work to do that can be positive for UND. Constantly having to explain why UND doesn't have a nickname is a waste of his time. Even 5 or 10 minutes per week adds up to quite a few hours during a year. Broadcasters talking about UND not having a nickname is not good press for the school. UND isn't some how going to punish the NCAA by not having a nickname. I would rather that Jayson spend his time doing things that bring good press to UND when possible, not waste time discussing such a petty issue. Yet he can't ignore it when broadcasters bring it up. If UND is playing in the game the broadcasters are going to be talking about UND, feed them information on all of the good things the students are doing rather than having them talk about how UND is the only school that hasn't managed to get a nickname for the team. This is just a small example of the many reasons why going without a nickname is a bad idea.

That part I do not believe.  It is neutral at worst.

That part I do not believe.  It is neutral at worst.

I believe it is dependent on the reporter/network and their agenda.

Given the political point of view of much of the media, any chance to take a shot at a school that has not fully moved beyond a banned-by-the-NCAA nickname will be taken gleefully by them is my experience and expectation. And by "fully moved beyond" I mean they'll use no-nickname as "you folks haven't yet moved beyond" evidence. True or not, that's how they'll spin it to fit an agenda.

Do I believe it could be bad press?  Sure.  Do I believe it must be?  Of course not.  I stream about 20 road games per year.  The broadcasters mention the issue at least once in nearly every game.  Yet I have no memory of a single instance of judgment or disparagement.  maybe you are talking about our home announcers?

Do I believe it could be bad press?  Sure.  Do I believe it must be?  Of course not.  I stream about 20 road games per year.  The broadcasters mention the issue at least once in nearly every game.  Yet I have no memory of a single instance of judgment or disparagement.  maybe you are talking about our home announcers?

And seriously like that frickin changes anything anywhere ever on the field/court/ice/sky/universe, such a moot point..

God help us if we end up being the North Dakota Nodaks.   I've said it before......but I will be completely embarrassed when I hear the ESPN announcers say that the next time we are playing in the Frozen Four.   I know there is a lot of people who hate Sundogs, but Sundogs is 10 times better than Nodaks.  North Dakota Nodaks sounds ridiculous in my opinion.

God help us if we end up being the North Dakota Nodaks.   I've said it before......but I will be completely embarrassed when I hear the ESPN announcers say that the next time we are playing in the Frozen Four.   I know there is a lot of people who hate Sundogs, but Sundogs is 10 times better than Nodaks.  North Dakota Nodaks sounds ridiculous in my opinion.

There is no way humanly possible Nodaks and/or Sundogs can actually be in the running.

Exactly.  I am literally appalled at some of the arguments suggesting that UND needs a different nickname because the media explains why UND's current nickname is "North Dakota" in sports broadcasts.

How is it derogatory when people use it to abbreviate our state and there are businesses with that name, Nodak Rural Electric? Call them up and tell them their name is derogatory, after they laugh at you and hang up report back to us on your findings.

Does the popular "hot dago" sandwich served all over the Twin Cities make the word "dago" any less derogatory to an Italian from New York or Boston?

NoDak = someone from North Dakota. Wouldn't folks already be aware of where the school is from given the "North Dakota" in front of the nickname?

http://www.crookstontimes.com/article/20150724/OPINION/150729718/?Start=1

Nodaks: A friend who is not from around here mentioned his affinity for Nodaks. But he acknowledged that he didn't really know why he liked the name beyond that it "sounds kind of cool." Maybe, but, for me, calling someone a "Nodak" is about one notch more polite than calling a person of Polish descent a Pollock.

When I'm driving on I-94 to the Twin Cities and yet another motorist from North Dakota insists on driving in the acceleration lane at two miles an hour below the speed limit, I don't have a kind intention in my entire body when I tell anyone not wearing ear-buds in my vehicle that the "Nodak" boxing us in needs to learn how to drive. The same goes for when a boat with a North Dakota license sticker races by way too close at the lake.

Then again, I’m a UND men’s hockey anti-fan, so maybe it would be fun for me personally if they were known as the Nodaks.

These are the types of Minnesotans that I've run across.

• Upvote 2