SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 in Attendance

GeauxSioux

There was the Iowa Stars affiliated with the team that ditched Minnesota for Texas. Now a team is moving from Texas to the same city in Iowa. As for flights UAL has 5 non-stops and Delta has 5 non-stops from Bush to MSP. Delta has 6 non-stops between Des Moines and MSP. Only $275 cheaper from DM than Houston.

That's why you call players up when the team is in St Paul for a home game...a 3 1/2 hour drive is a lot cheaper than a last-second flight from Houston to Boston, Vancouver, or Montreal.

The Aeros also paid about $23K per home game in Houston...it'll be less than half of that amount in Des Moines.

While its ideal to call up players when the Wild are in St Paul, it doesn't always work out that way.

I don't think the story here is about UND or MN.... All MN cares about is tickets sold, unfortunately..... But both have been steady for quite sometime. It's all about Wisconsin dropping like a rock.

3 years ago they averaged just over 15k.

2 years ago they averaged just over 13k.

Last year they we around 11.7k.

Now they have dropped to 9.5k.

Now I know they had some outdoor games to inflate the average in the past as well as a few games at the Dane to bring numbers down this year. But they are clearly in trouble if this trend continues.

While its ideal to call up players when the Wild are in St Paul, it doesn't always work out that way.

MafiaMan he got you there. Call ups do not always happen when the team is at home. So this throws out the thought that it is easier to get to St. Paul from Des Moines than Houston. In fact it would be easier to get to cities from Houston. You have to connect through a hub from Des Moines to get most anywhere. Unless the team is playing in Detroit, Chicago, Denver, Dallas, DC, Phoenix, and NY then you have a direct flight. There are 4 direct flights from Houston to Calgary and 2 to Edmonton. Even throwing all this talk out there is one more point we have not addressed. Having the team in Des Moines can build a bigger fan base for the Wild. People get a favorite AHL player and follow him to St. Paul. I think that is more the benefit of moving them to Iowa than anything. Iowans do like hockey.

I love the way UND fans bitch about Gopher hockey and then you spend your time watching them on tv counting empty seats.

We do it to laugh at all the so-called rodent fans that do not really support their team. You know the team that takes a back seat to bb and football in the so-called hockey state.

MafiaMan he got you there. Call ups do not always happen when the team is at home.

I didn't say they always happened at home...but it's been a habit of the Wild to call up college players, etc., and have them debut in front of the home fans. Obviously an injury on the road or something like that throws the whole thing out of whack, but for quick call-ups and send-downs, plus the whole fan factor, it's a win for the Wild...a big loss for Houston.

C'mon, NHL...let's get a team in Houston...paging the Phoenix Coyotes...

I love the way UND fans bitch about Gopher hockey and then you spend your time watching them on tv counting empty seats.

Relax DLW4GOPHERS. We are barely into the off-season, a time when everyone blows smoke about anything, whether or not it is true. My experience is mostly watching the Gophers versus the Sioux, or watching the Gophers when the Sioux do not have a game. You have to admit, during that stunning loss to the Sioux in the Final Five last year there could have been serious injuries in the third period as the Gopher fans rushed the door trying to get out.

what would u rather have 12,000 know nothing Fans or 6,000 that love the game

AHL games are a blast. I've been to a number of Admirals games. It's a very similar pace and type of game to the college level. Obviously it's a bit of a step up, but it's a fun, easy game to watch. AHL games are typically a blast because of the statement Fetch said...most of the fans that go love the team with a passion.

Also, I read the other day that attendance numbers averaged around 3.5k at the bottom (I think it was OKC), and about 10k at the top (I forget who). That's not that daunting even for this area. The hard part would be to do it for 38 home regular season games (plus playoffs).

As opposed to Phoenix, Tampa Bay, or Miami?

Biggest mistake for the Coyotes is where they built the arena. It would take me an hour to get there for a game in heavy traffic. 1/2 hour to get home only. It is too much of a pain to get to. They also get backseat coverage compared to the sucky Suns and Cards. Instability of who will buy them is a problem.

Biggest mistake for the Coyotes is where they built the arena. It would take me an hour to get there for a game in heavy traffic. 1/2 hour to get home only. It is too much of a pain to get to. They also get backseat coverage compared to the sucky Suns and Cards. Instability of who will buy them is a problem.

I loved the area where the arena is built...lots of awesome bars, restaurants, and shops. But I lived just off the 101 in Glendale, so it was super easy for me to get there for games. But I don't know where else they would have put it...It's not like they had room to put it downtown.

I loved the area where the arena is built...lots of awesome bars, restaurants, and shops. But I lived just off the 101 in Glendale, so it was super easy for me to get there for games. But I don't know where else they would have put it...It's not like they had room to put it downtown.

Scottsdale by the Salt River Fields.

Relax DLW4GOPHERS. We are barely into the off-season, a time when everyone blows smoke about anything, whether or not it is true. My experience is mostly watching the Gophers versus the Sioux, or watching the Gophers when the Sioux do not have a game. You have to admit, during that stunning loss to the Sioux in the Final Five last year there could have been serious injuries in the third period as the Gopher fans rushed the door trying to get out.

This is too easy. The same can be said about the Sioux fans a week later during the regional game. When Condon scored his goal I thought I was going to get trampled in the stamped. I am not sure how the internet banter will go between our two fan bases over the next few years. Will it die down some because we are not playing each other or will it get more intense?

This is too easy. The same can be said about the Sioux fans a week later during the regional game. When Condon scored his goal I thought I was going to get trampled in the stamped. I am not sure how the internet banter will go between our two fan bases over the next few years. Will it die down some because we are not playing each other or will it get more intense?

based on what we have expereinced with bison fans it won't go away - just gets less fact based.

based on what we have expereinced with bison fans it won't go away - just gets less fact based.

Yeah, and the best part is that if they choose not to play us, we can always make claims about how much better our team is, even if it may not appear to be the case. Don't think if you are the entity choosing not to play you should be saying how much better you are.