SiouxSports.com Forum

UND PA Announcer Darrin Looker

david.howard19

Darrin Looker needs some tips and pointers in his public address performance. The man has the voice, but it's his delivery that is driving the fans to grind their teeth. Ask hockey fans at the Ralph... the annoyance factor of Looker's delivery is reaching epic proportions... especially in my section.

"Alright North Dakota, Let's Get Loud... (with his vocal energy going down as he says it)"

"Everybody's ready.... so let's play some ollllllllllllllllllllllllld tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime Fighting............ Sioux........................... Hockey." BORING.

"Alllllllll Alooooooone." Taunting and annoying.

"Final minute of play in the third period... YOU'RE WELCOME."

Looker put his foot in his mouth last year when he thought the home playoff game was going to be the last one of the season. What did he say... "Final minute of play in the third period... (crowd says 'thank you') ...Noooo... Thank YOU!" What happens next? Sioux give up a goal with 4 seconds left, then lose in overtime. How's the egg on your face taste, Looker?

Is it the biggest problem in the world? No. Is it the biggest problem at UND? No. Is he a bad announcer? Yes.

He sucks the energy out of the Ralph as he takes forever to say stuff. Hockey is about excitement, energy and pacing. Looker has none. He has a great baritone voice, but his delivery is slow, overly drawn out, and annoying. He relies too much on trying to develop new catch phrases, and as I've heard from several friends working in the press box- he's got quite the ego.

My solution- deflate the ego and inflate the energy. Or just hold open auditions for the position.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darrin Looker needs some tips and pointers in his public address performance. The man has the voice, but it's his delivery that is driving the fans to grind their teeth. Ask hockey fans at the Ralph... the annoyance factor of Looker's delivery is reaching epic proportions... especially in my section.

"Alright North Dakota, Let's Get Loud... (with his vocal energy going down as he says it)"

"Everybody's ready.... so let's play some ollllllllllllllllllllllllld tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime Fighting............ Sioux........................... Hockey." BORING.

"Alllllllll Alooooooone." Taunting and annoying.

"Final minute of play in the third period... YOU'RE WELCOME."

Looker put his foot in his mouth last year when he thought the home playoff game was going to be the last one of the season. What did he say... "Final minute of play in the third period... (crowd says 'thank you') ...Noooo... Thank YOU!" What happens next? Sioux give up a goal with 4 seconds left, then lose in overtime. How's the egg on your face taste, Looker?

Is it the biggest problem in the world? No. Is it the biggest problem at UND? No. Is he a bad announcer? Yes.

He sucks the energy out of the Ralph as he takes forever to say stuff. Hockey is about excitement, energy and pacing. Looker has none. He has a great baritone voice, but his delivery is slow, overly drawn out, and annoying. He relies too much on trying to develop new catch phrases, and as I've heard from several friends working in the press box- he's got quite the ego.

My solution- deflate the ego and inflate the energy. Or just hold open auditions for the position.

I don't mind Looker, i actually like him.

I can understand why he takes forever to say stuff because he has to wait for a break in action for somethings. Also, how was he supposed to know that the team would let in a goal with 4.5 seconds left in the game? No one knew that was going to happen, he thought it was the last game. Much of what he says is probably scripted for him which would explain some of the boriness.

I understand your point, but I don't think that Looker is the biggest problem for atmosphere at the Ralph.

I understand your point, but I don't think that Looker is the biggest problem for atmosphere at the Ralph.

We could discuss what the problem is but some would get upset. Its the casual fans that don't want to get involved in the game

that sit on their cell phones talking or texting and not paying attention to the game, leaving their seat during play and other distractions.

We could discuss what the problem is but some would get upset. Its the casual fans that don't want to get involved in the game

that sit on their cell phones talking or texting and not paying attention to the game, leaving their seat during play and other distractions.

Well, I've never been shy about discussing what is wrong with our Ice Palace. But you are right, anyone that dares criticize the atmosphere at home is chastised and ridiculed. And the casual fans ARE part of the problem at home games. We didn't have them at the old Ralph and that is one of the reasons why that place was so awesome.

Well, I've never been shy about discussing what is wrong with our Ice Palace. But you are right, anyone that dares criticize the atmosphere at home is chastised and ridiculed. And the casual fans ARE part of the problem at home games. We didn't have them at the old Ralph and that is one of the reasons why that place was so awesome.

If you want to empty out some of the casual fans just say free beer in the bars at ends of the arena. :lol:

I agree. I think he is totally inept.

His voice should have way more agressiveness when he is anouncing the scorers.

more masculinity..

ya know deeper show a little agressiveness. kinda like our team. Where is the toughness??

Bring back the old guy

I want the "old guy" back too but he retired. Part of why Looker's voice isn't deeper is because he doesn't have that deep of a voice, it won't go deeper.

Goon, I love the idea! :lol:

Easy solution for this would be to take everyone's cell phones away and chain them to their seats.

That's one of the reasons why I love going to Sioux games when they are on the road. The fans yell and get into the game a lot more. I was proud of our support this past weekend in Duluth.

That's one of the reasons why I love going to Sioux games when they are on the road. The fans yell and get into the game a lot more. I was proud of our support this past weekend in Duluth.

Next weekend is when the team will need the noise the most and the Ralph will be like a Mausoleum.

Next weekend is when the team will need the noise the most and the Ralph will be like a Mausoleum.

Besides our student section, our home crowd is terrible. It's easy to cheer when something good happens, every fan base does that. Good crowds cheer all the time, and loud. I sat outside the student section for the first time during the Sat. night Anchorage game and almost fell asleep. It's really disappointing that people treat the place like a lounge instead of a hockey rink.

Besides our student section, our home crowd is terrible. It's easy to cheer when something good happens, every fan base does that. Good crowds cheer all the time, and loud. I sat outside the student section for the first time during the Sat. night Anchorage game and almost fell asleep. It's really disappointing that people treat the place like a lounge instead of a hockey rink.

I agree. If you stand up and try to cheer and get some energy going they all just sit there and look at you like we are in church or something.

No one cheers in our section except our row and when our friends at the end stand up to cheer the guy and gal behind him tell them to sit down.

I want the "old guy" back too but he retired. Part of why Looker's voice isn't deeper is because he doesn't have that deep of a voice, it won't go deeper.

Goon, I love the idea! :lol:

Yeah I do to. :D Nothing makes people scatter faster than free beer.

No one cheers in our section except our row and when our friends at the end stand up to cheer the guy and gal behind him tell them to sit down.

last year at the new hampshire series, some couple next to me tapped me on my shoulder midgame. they had to inform me that when i leaned forward (to see play in the corner) they couldnt see and that i needed to stop that. ridiculous.

Last year I saw every game from the press box, obviously yelling and cheering isn't allowed up there, at least my pass said so :lol: . When the Ralph was hopping, it was deafening, unfortunately that didn't happen so often. Now I no longer live in ND and I'll get to see one game this year from the seats, that being Saturday night against Cornell. I'm not sure what the fans are like in the section that I'll be sitting in but I know I'll try to be as loud as I can, and I'll stand up and cheer for my favorite team. Anyone who doesn't like it can go back to their house and watch it on TV. There is NO REASON for the Ralph to be as lame as it is. If you want to be seen, go hang out at Marilyn Haggerty's house!

Looker is a minor problem, if one at all.

Here is the solution to start mending the atmosphere:

MOVE THE STUDENT SECTIONS TO BEHIND THE NET! PUT THEM ON THE END THE SIOUX SHOOT AT TWICE TO GET ON THE OPPOSING GOALIE.

Students can stand and dance and do whatever for the entire game. There will no longer be an us vs. them mentality after they are told to sit down.

Someone needs to make this happen, look at UW and UMN for 2 prime examples.

Until this happens, the atmosphere will remain not so good.

I am sure some of you will love this but what the heck.

Other than stand all game, what is unique about our student fans??? If you are not in the student section, and someone asks you to sit down, sit your ass down!. You can get up and cheer when something happens but otherwise what the hell is your point? If anyone thinks students standing the whole game is a big deal to the players, you have never played. They hear the level of noise and that can help. We are not in the same league as far as fan participation (both students and adults) compared with Wisc. and maybe even the Gophers. They have unique and coordinated cheers that the fans both students and adults know and do together and that includes their school songs. A lot of their cheers show some ingenuity. I seldom hear anything clever from our students anymore. We used to at least see some pretty clever signs behind the visitors penalty box. I don't even see that anymore.

People on this board complain a lot about how they are treated at Gopher games, then seem smug when they comment about how the old UND fans can go home and watch it on TV if they don't like someone standing in front of them the whole game. At least at a Gopher game we get insulted by an opposing fan. There are also a number of negative references to those who have season tickets or are members of the Fighting Sioux Club. To those rubes, do you really think any University atheltic department can succeed without both the student support and the support of the Alumni? I have been going to UND hockey games for almost 40 years and our student section has never been this obnoxious to our own fans nor so weak both as far as a cheering section and the cleverness (or lack there of) one would expect from college students. Some people who attend hockey games actually work for a living and might be too tired to stand the whole game. Some people want to bring their kids and they can't see through some of the big butts in front of them. At the Frozen Four in St. Louis, there were 4 drunk UND students who swore at some of the UND Alumni of the so called "greatest generation" because they wanted to watch the game and the students wanted to stand. I wonder which of the fans we should be suggesting watch it on TV!

There are two different issues being discussed in this thread...

1. Boring and poor atmosphere at the Ralph.

2. Darrin Looker's delivery of the PA.

Yes, there is an extremely dull atmosphere at the Ralph. Hockey is supposed to be loud, crazy and high-stimulation. The Ralph is a library.

Perhaps the people in charge of the game time operations need to review some issues and policies of game-nights. Start up an ad campaign or something to increase excitement. They should also review any scripts they give Darrin Looker, and have someone from radio or local performing arts places teach him about pacing, energy and excitment. They need all the help they can get.

We used to at least see some pretty clever signs behind the visitors penalty box. I don't even see that anymore.

For two or three seasons, we used this board to communicate our ideas for the signs. We'd vote on the ones we liked best and I would make them myself (at least 8 or 10 each weekend), subject them to a security screening and deliver the ones that passed muster to willing students in the student section. Ryan Bakken interviewed one of the students who usually held them up and even wrote a column about the signs; lots of people said they liked them. But then those students graduated and the practice fell by the wayside.

It wouldn't be too difficult to start up the practice again. Find me a couple of students who want to participate, start a thread labelled "sign ideas" and I will make them again.

There are two different issues being discussed in this thread...

1. Boring and poor atmosphere at the Ralph.

2. Darrin Looker's delivery of the PA.

Yes, there is an extremely dull atmosphere at the Ralph. Hockey is supposed to be loud, crazy and high-stimulation. The Ralph is a library.

Perhaps the people in charge of the game time operations need to review some issues and policies of game-nights. Start up an ad campaign or something to increase excitement. They should also review any scripts they give Darrin Looker, and have someone from radio or local performing arts places teach him about pacing, energy and excitment. They need all the help they can get.

An ad campaign to increase excitement? That's what the marketing department is for and in the last two seasons the Ralph has been full so they are doing their jobs....putting butts in the seats. It doesn't hurt that the product on the ice has been playing deep into the playoffs for the last 5 years either. So there is step one in improving the atmosphere, the joint is constantly sold out. Step two is getting the crowd involved and actually making them cheer. You can't put all of this on Darrin, in fact, I think Darrin does a great job. If you've ever talked to the man, you'd realize his love for this squad and it's tradition. There are other areas that need improvement as far as amping up the crowd (video prod, music, etc.). People realizing that they are at a hockey game and not a library would be a great first step in improving things, and I've said that since I moved to Grand Forks 5 years ago.

way to go ira

I think the Ralph is LOUD when there is something to be Loud about

& I'm sorry I don't think the Students standing (blocking someones view) & texting & talking on cell phones, fires up, or changes the outcome of a game :lol:

I think it is all the Sioux Survivors fault having a Goopher in the finals this long has to be bad luck or jinx of some kind :D