SiouxSports.com Forum

UND PA Announcer Darrin Looker

david.howard19

way to go ira

I think the Ralph is LOUD when there is something to be Loud about

& I'm sorry I don't think the Students standing (blocking someones view) & texting & talking on cell phones, fires up, or changes the outcome of a game :lol:

I think it is all the Sioux Survivors fault having a Goopher in the finals this long has to be bad luck or jinx of some kind :D

I agree standing makes no noise. If the students are allowed to stand, there is no "us versus them" mentality, they are likely to be more loud about the game, not feeling bad about yelling and standing and getting in everyones way. They can truly "run wild" in their own section. Instead of complaining about the old fart or security guy who told them to sit down, they can talk about that great save Eidsness made and how they should start the "goalie-sieve" chant.

Conversely, the "old farts" will not complain about the students standing, they will be more likely to focus on the game.

Everyone will be happy and on the same team if the students move to their own section.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looker sounds like that Denny Johnson on knox - & he (looker) is a lot younger & needs to find his own style (experiment)

try some new things - break the mold (hey maybe the team could do some of this too) :lol: Generation Gaps are alive & well (as they should be) wonder what a 20 something coach would do different ? :D

Maybe if people had to drive like me 4 hours one way to the game ( sometimes on ice) they'd shout, scream and yell . I was up for the AA series and started the "LET'S GO SIOUX" cheer and got some strange looks from those in front of me. I also thought I might have to check the pulse on a few others as they sat and stared motionless during the game.

I think the issue might be that some people have more of a passion for Sioux hockey than others, and others just enjoy getting out and sitting in a large crowd and like to be quiet. I think a performance at the Chester Fritz might be better suited for those that like to be quiet. :lol:

I agree. I think he is totally inept.

His voice should have way more agressiveness when he is anouncing the scorers.

more masculinity..

ya know deeper show a little agressiveness. kinda like our team. Where is the toughness??

Bring back the old guy

Let's not bring back the old guy. I like Hennin, but I find him WAY more annoying than Looker. Last year at the F5 he insisted on pronouncing Chay Genoway's name the way that Colby preferred. Pretty embarrassing when the PA guy is representing the home town and can't even pronounce one of the home team's players right.

The really funny thing about all of this is the contrast you see regarding Sioux fans when you go to away games.

I have lived in Colorado for the last 8 years and have seen every game here. I can tell you if you don't already know, that the Sioux fans are considered in a league of their own when it comes to visiting team crowds hear. The Sioux serieses are always something special for both CC and DU.

I think the problems with crowd energy at the ralph are these:

1. Building- soo pretty its distracting

2. Production scheme-They do tooo much distracting PA annoucing!! Especially after a stop in play when we had a good play- that's when they should do the "let's make some noise" or a fan participation song- ya know, right after a wistle when our team did something good.

Also at the begining of the game, delay the announcing of the team (ya know when the Sioux first skate on the ice) and prolong the crowd hand clap. Make the fans beg for the team with their claps! This will put an energy in everyone if not at least get the blood flowing to start the night of right..

3. Team doesn't score enough. I already said why this is happening-centering feeds are way to fast! :lol:

4. Fans (this is about genetics) Scandinavians are so flat, until they get going at least. Maybe they should put some UV lights in the Ralph- ya know seasonal affective disorder prevention??

5. And last, Rules, North Dakotans are really into following the rules. Sometimes it's a little pathetic. BHHAaaaahahahahh...

But in any case, this will all be solved by scoring 6 goals a game. So slow down those little feeds boys so your line-mate can bury it!!!!!!

I think the PA guy does a decent job. I am sure it is not an easy job. Can he improve? Sure, but who can't? If you want to complain about something regarding the Ralph, let's talk about the music......

I really like the music that is played at the Ralph. It's great!! There can be fast-paced action during the game, and the genius running the music will play John Denver, or some other song that has no reason being played at a hockey game. You have to admit, as a fan, that gets you JACKED! I know it does me! I bet it gets the players pumped as well. I bet if you wrote down the order of the songs on Friday night, they would be nearly exactly the same for saturday night. Here is a crazy idea, find some new music. Then when you do find some new music, play it.

Also, maybe have the band learn a few more songs. As college students, I bet that they can learn more than 2-3 songs. And finally, maybe have the team perform on the ice at the level that people want to cheer about!

I think the PA guy does a decent job. I am sure it is not an easy job. Can he improve? Sure, but who can't? If you want to complain about something regarding the Ralph, let's talk about the music......

I really like the music that is played at the Ralph. It's great!! There can be fast-paced action during the game, and the genius running the music will play John Denver, or some other song that has no reason being played at a hockey game. You have to admit, as a fan, that gets you JACKED! I know it does me! I bet it gets the players pumped as well. I bet if you wrote down the order of the songs on Friday night, they would be nearly exactly the same for saturday night. Here is a crazy idea, find some new music. Then when you do find some new music, play it.

Also, maybe have the band learn a few more songs. As college students, I bet that they can learn more than 2-3 songs. And finally, maybe have the team perform on the ice at the level that people want to cheer about!

Agreed...but let's face it. The whole stale atmosphere has become quite boring. Especially the piped in music....When I heard the "everybody clap your hands" bit last Sat at the Ralph I almost puked. That has no place at a Sioux hockey game.

I think the Ralph has to be De-Bunninged. I think if any thing that guy really put a damper on the atmosphere it hasn't been the same since he was here.

I like the fact that they now have skating cheer leaders again.

oops, :lol::D

If you want to complain about something regarding the Ralph, let's talk about the music......

Phil Collin's "In The Air Tonight" for pre-show music. If any song says "Hi energy, fast-paced, excitement to start off a hockey game" it's this song. Not. If I wanted to relax and be put to sleep in the final minutes before a hockey game, I'd watch an episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

Get it together UND... we want excitement. The whole system needs a substantial adjustment.

This thread is hilarious.

Things must be going bad for the hockey team when you have a person create an account just so they can start a thread trashing the PA announcer. :lol:

What's next? Denny Gunderson? Butch? The Mini-Donut guys? The beer guy behind section 105?

If you want to complain about something regarding the Ralph, let's talk about the music......

Phil Collin's "In The Air Tonight" for pre-show music. If any song says "Hi energy, fast-paced, excitement to start off a hockey game" it's this song. Not. If I wanted to relax and be put to sleep in the final minutes before a hockey game, I'd watch an episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

Get it together UND... we want excitement. The whole system needs a substantial adjustment.

I agree, things have to change, we have a top notch facility, we need top notch management on the music and entertainment side. Bring in a consultant from an NHL, NFL or NBA team.

Things must be going bad for the hockey team when you have a person create an account just so they can start a thread trashing the PA announcer. :lol:

What's next? Denny Gunderson? Butch? The Mini-Donut guys? The beer guy behind section 105?

Denny does a crap job resurfacing the ice causing our passes to be horrible and the puck to bounce everywhere but in the net. :D

Best post of this thread! :D

Best post of this thread! :lol:

Hilarious! Actually I think it is the lady making the taco in a bag! She wasn't exactly too generous with the taco meat last time.....

I didn't even notice that this topic was the first post for the thread creator.

Back to topic.... I think all the video board watching and all the stuff put up on the video board has quieted the crowd as well. They want you to watch the board and then no one is cheering. Quit telling stories up there. Play music, or let the band play, and get people EXCITED about the game at hand!

Well, now that you've raised the issue, that prime rib sandwich thing behind Section 112 kinda gets my undies in a bunch.

I mean the sandwich is quite good (actually I like the pork better) but the pasta salad they include is so runny it makes the rest of the meal a soggy mess. How can we stand for this!!!! This is the University of North Dakota fer cryin' out loud. We have a history, a tradition of excellence, both in the classroom and on the ice (and, by association, a few steps behind and above it).

Something MUST be done to fix this situation.

The sooner the better!

Well, now that you've raised the issue, that prime rib sandwich thing behind Section 112 kinda gets my undies in a bunch.

I mean the sandwich is quite good (actually I like the pork better) but the pasta salad they include is so runny it makes the rest of the meal a soggy mess. How can we stand for this!!!! This is the University of North Dakota fer cryin' out loud. We have a history, a tradition of excellence, both in the classroom and on the ice (and, by association, a few steps behind and above it).

Something MUST be done to fix this situation.

The sooner the better!

I'm glad yours was good mine was pretty dry.

Guilty as charged. The thing I like about this group is people can have fun with it.

I just had to vent my displeasure of Darrin Looker's performance, and get it off my chest. That is what Fan Message Boards are for.