SiouxSports.com Forum

Oops that should have been a goal

Sioux Hockey Fanatic

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone think that maybe the WCHA should clean house with all referees this season? Get a whole new start on everything

I say start with new leadership. Have them establish clear consistent guidelines and then those that don't follow through need to be fired.

My personal theory is that the officials are not given clear guidelines, rather they change depending on who's playing, what the standings are, how much the coach bitches to the league office, the points of the season etc etc etc.

That would explain the lack of consistency from one night to the next.

Anyone know of a video of this that is none slo-mo? The one on youtube is to hard to see.

Yes there is another version--which is the one I thought I posted. I'll try to find the link to the real time version.

Edit:

There are 2 on youtube both are sorta slow mo. one is a little better than the other. Maybe someone else will post another video of it.

I think we all should be pissed. The officiating has screwed up a number of games for us over the years. Considering this is the pinnacle of college hockey and the officials are well paid we should get better.

The fact that it was a rival that got screwed shouldn't matter. We should all demand integrity from the WCHA. We don't get it.

Does anybody know what WCHA officials are paid per game/series?

wow, that was horrible. i don't understand how that was not reviewed and the correct call was made. that is a shame for the wcha and its sub-par officiating. really sucks for wisco that the game was not decided on the ice like it should have been. just horrible officiating, which shamefully is nothing new. in answer to the question about the scsu shot on frazee, the puck has to completely cross the goal line before time expires for it to count, although in this specific case, as stated in previous posts, i believe the time had run out and i believe scsu was offsides. i think kangas may see alot of icetime the rest of the season :D

because it must not be i the rules to do that. just a disaster for the wcha. joke because sconnie and du would have each had the chance to grab 2 points but that was taken away from sconiie.

Truthfully this is a unique situation in that the teams could have been made whole by having the overtime Saturday night. Normally a screwed up goal would happen in the middle of a game. Going back and replaying part of the game after the screw up doesn't seem right.

How about we expect more out of the officials to NOT screw up games?

So between the DU/SCSU fiasco and now the DU/UW fiasco DU has potentially up to four points in the standings it shouldn't have.

So how should a team that finishes right behind them in the final standings view this, especially if they are within four points? What if there's more than one team within that four point range?

What an embarrassment.

What a mess.

So between the DU/SCSU fiasco and now the DU/UW fiasco DU has potentially up to four points in the standings it shouldn't have.

So how should a team that finishes right behind them in the final standings view this, especially if they are within four points? What if there's more than one team within that four point range?

What an embarrassment.

What a mess.

What if it happened to be the Sioux? We're only 6 point behind them.

Or it could even impact the McNaughton cup as assuming Dunver wins their games at hand they'd be 2 points behind CC.

The DU broadcast on Saturday night showed the replay with the overhead camera and actual game clock in the corner. While I don't remember if you could see the light, Schmidt shouldn't have needed it since the game clock was right there.

I believe that the overhead view is the only one the refs see.

The other thing here is that DU could get a bad rap, because they have gotten both breaks. Some fans could start thinking, "The West Regional is in Colorado this year, and it looks like the WCHA is going to do everything they can to ensure that DU is in it." They could have at least let the boys play out the rest of the game last night. There was 51 seconds left or something like that, and than a 5 minute possible OT. Yes, a little extra playing time, but at least the points would have been decided in an honorable way.

Anyone think that maybe the WCHA should clean house with all referees this season? Get a whole new start on everything

No.

There are two, maybe three officials I'd fire off hand (Adam, Schmidt, and perhaps one other...Mason?).

The rest, I'd say, is a wait and see. Truth is, we can't really tell as fans what the officials are doing based on their own personal incompetence (or competence) and what they are being mandated in enforcing by the big man.

So, my viewpoint is to simply fire Greg Shepherd and replace him with a guy who actually has a plan to keep the officials accountable that goes beyond the simple wrist slapping, the apology letter, and the "buddy buddy" relationship mongering.

Enforce situational officiating in only such cases as that would require an official to be fired (in other words, an official can enforce parity through situational officiating only if he wants to be unemployed after the game). An official will not be allowed to control the game regardless of which teams are playing. And, of course, consistency will be the number one means of career endurance. You call it both ways and both ways only. PERIOD.

Anyways, replace the brain and keep most of the body and see how it acts.

There are two, maybe three officials I'd fire off hand (Adam, Schmidt, and perhaps one other...Mason?).

The rest, I'd say, is a wait and see. Truth is, we can't really tell as fans what the officials are doing based on their own personal incompetence (or competence) and what they are being mandated in enforcing by the big man.

So, my viewpoint is to simply fire Greg Shepherd and replace him with a guy who actually has a plan to keep the officials accountable that goes beyond the simple wrist slapping, the apology letter, and the "buddy buddy" relationship mongering.

Enforce situational officiating in only such cases as that would require an official to be fired (in other words, an official can enforce parity through situational officiating only if he wants to be unemployed after the game). An official will not be allowed to control the game regardless of which teams are playing. And, of course, consistency will be the number one means of career endurance. You call it both ways and both ways only. PERIOD.

I disagree. For as much money as the WCHA is making, bring in NHL refs and let them call NHL style games. Get rid of the clutching and grabbing, hooking, and interference. The increased cost of game officials can be offset by eliminating the head of officials position, because the NHLers answer to their guy.

No.

Mason and Schmidt?? I know Schmidt screwed up on a few goals that helped Denver, but how can you possibly put those 2 behind Campion and Robin Anderson? Adam is the undisputed worst official at any level, but Campion has had repeated complaints the past few years about his perceived bias. Remember the confrontation between Campion and the MSUM coaches after the UM v. MSUM game? Campion should be honest and wear his Gophers jersey when he's officiating. Robin Anderson is never in position, is horribly inconsistent from the beginning of the game to the end, and allows the interference and clutching and holding that the NHL eliminated. Even worse, he thinks he's part of the show. At least in my mind, Anderson is a close second to Adam. I actually like Randy Schmidt. Of course, the fact that he's a local guy (Fargo) may be affecting my judgment. We need ND officials to balance out the officiating crew, particularly after Mike Schmitt retired.

You know that the state of officiating is sad when Derek Sheppard does not even make the list of worst officials. :D

campion and adam are horrible. i don't know if i can count how many times a player was blatently grabbed or hooked which turned him and took them off the puck or impeded his momentum this weekend... not once called either side. i guess i haven't noticed anderson as much as you, but im not doubting what you are saying. shepard, like you said he is not good, and doesn't even make the bottom three list, which is sad. i agree you have to start at the top, get rid of the head of officials and go from there. i don't know how much mccleod has to do with it all, but he deserves some accountability there. if a new head of officials can't get some of these guys turned around, then you go looking for new guys. the nhl will never let their guys do our games, unless they happen to have a bunch extra each weekend, which if they did would be great. oh well, none of this will probably happen, it's just us sioux fans whining about the refs right?

I disagree. For as much money as the WCHA is making, bring in NHL refs and let them call NHL style games. Get rid of the clutching and grabbing, hooking, and interference. The increased cost of game officials can be offset by eliminating the head of officials position, because the NHLers answer to their guy.

I think it is a great idea and college hockey would be more watchable in the WCHA. The league coaches of the lower tier WCHA teams wouldn't go for it, there wouldn't be quote unquote this parity that we have right now. You would have 4-5 teams running away from the rest of the league. Look how many goals Toews has in the NHL its the lack of obstruction.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the puck only had to be shot by the time the clock runs out, not go in by yhe time the clock runs out. The refs blew the call. It should be on the WCHA to correct the problem and issue a tie for the game, I realize it won't happen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the puck only had to be shot by the time the clock runs out, not go in by yhe time the clock runs out. The refs blew the call. It should be on the WCHA to correct the problem and issue a tie for the game, I realize it won't happen.

In hockey the puck would have to be across the goal line before the clock hit 00.

In basketball the shot has to be off before the clock hits 00.

If Toews, or Parise, or Vanek, etc. used their platform to discuss WCHA officiating, I think you would quickly see some positive changes. And it wouldn't take a lot. I'm thinking a local college hockey beat writer from either the Herald or the Star Tribune could make a couple of phone calls. Actually I'm surprised that this hasn't been done yet.

Since there was no time left on the clock, they should award UW a point, and strip a point from DU because it was a legitimate tie. That would be an acceptable and "right" thing to do, IMO.

(a scheduled OT would be nice, but at this point isn't really practical)