SiouxSports.com Forum

Most Improved at this point of the season ?

Fetch

I'd have to say Kaip - Kosek - VV

defense I think Joe Finley - Marto have played better than most expected (Jake needs to skate with the puck & shoot or pass more - after coming across the blue line & be the offensive threat we all know he can be)

It's time for many to live up to (or exceed) their potential

Will the underclassmen step up & make it happen ? ? ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for this season from last i say vande velde. i think we all knew he would be a nice player but he didnt score really until the last month last year and he has been a solid player for the sioux this season.

i also think finley and kozek have improved a good amount as well

how about a poll with all players except oshie and duncan :D

Watkins or Kozek. Watkins just flies around the ice, makes smart plays, and plays great defense. Great three-zone player than can score at times too. Kozek has had a scoring barrage compared to the past.

Genoway has been great also and even though I didn't like he was playing early in the year, Martens has played better the last few weeks. Kaip is also very noticeable.

Chorney and Miller have taken the most steps backwards.

Watkins or Kozek. Watkins just flies around the ice, makes smart plays, and plays great defense. Great three-zone player than can score at times too. Kozek has had a scoring barrage compared to the past.

Genoway has been great also and even though I didn't like he was playing early in the year, Martens has played better the last few weeks. Kaip is also very noticeable.

Chorney and Miller have taken the most steps backwards.

thats wasnt the question ;):D lets keep this clean ;)

VV is a great choice. His game has gradually improved more and more.

However, I have to say Kozek then Watkins.

Kozek's physical presence has been there since he came to Grand Forks, but this is the first season where he's truly started contributing offensively really.

Watkins is a close second.

Evan Trupp seems much more confident on the ice of late in comparison to October.

Andrew Kozek seems intent on being and staying a top-six forward, and that's a good thing.

VandeVelde just needs to come every day with that "A"-game of his.

And I know some will disagree, but when you don't notice a defensive defenseman it means he's doing his job. (You only notice defensive defensemen when they get torched.) Zach Jones has been very unnoticeable, and that, for his style of defensive play, is a great compliment.

A Saturday +5 at SCSU gets Joe Finley a special note here also.

Taylor Chorney isn't the Taylor Chorney of last season inside of his own blueline (see: first goal Friday night). I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Brad Miller is playing the same way he did last year and earlier this season: great with time and space on the big rinks, but struggling on the smaller rinks (where there's more play along the boards) and things happen more quickly.

Ryan Duncan seems tight, like he's trying to justify that award. Fuggidabowdit. Just go out and have some fun.

I don't know that I would say Watkins is one of the more improved players because I think we're getting from him what he have in the past. Solid, dependable and consistent work. Strong on the boards and with cycling.

Kozek's offensive contributions are probably one of the more obvious improvements. Finley's solid D has also been pointed out.

I like the progression of a guy like Trupp as well. While he may not be more improved than Kozek at this point by the end of the season he might take that award the way he is going.

Also, Zajac may not be scoring like he did last year, but have you noticed him on the PK? He's getting quite a bit of time there.

Ryan Duncan seems tight, like he's trying to justify that award. Fuggidabowdit. Just go out and have some fun.

Duncan doesn't necessarily seem tight...he just isn't the type of player that creates for himself. Me, you, my dog, and an orange cone coulda scored out there last year with JT and Oshie.

The most improved has been Genoway. And i hate saying improved because he was good last year. He's been one of their top three players this year and does it at either forward or defense. He's smart, confident, and plays much bigger than his size. Never loses battles in the corners and has very positive things going on both sides of the puck. If you don't believe than just watch only him one shift.

I guess when Oshie was hurt last year early and Toews was gone to the Jrs. Duncan must have not scored. Look back at last year before X-mas Duncan carried that team of his back.

I guess when Oshie was hurt last year early and Toews was gone to the Jrs. Duncan must have not scored. Look back at last year before X-mas Duncan carried that team of his back.

You mean when they played Dartmouth and St. Lawrence over the time that Toews was at the World Juniors?

Kozek--he brings it game in and game out. Might not always get results in stats but he has been consistant and steady.

Biggest disappointment--Chorney hands down, but I think he turns the corner soon and so does this team.

I don't know that I would say Watkins is one of the more improved players because I think we're getting from him what he have in the past. Solid, dependable and consistent work. Strong on the boards and with cycling.

Kozek's offensive contributions are probably one of the more obvious improvements. Finley's solid D has also been pointed out.

I like the progression of a guy like Trupp as well. While he may not be more improved than Kozek at this point by the end of the season he might take that award the way he is going.

Also, Zajac may not be scoring like he did last year, but have you noticed him on the PK? He's getting quite a bit of time there.

I don't think a freshman can qualify for this award. Though progression is a great thing to see and can be darn near vital (see VV last March). However, improvement is something seen over a longer period of time than the first half of a season.

I think Trupp is laying the foundation for what he'll be compared to (good or bad) for the remainder of his college eligibility.

That being said, I still say Kozek is most improved.

Kozek--he brings it game in and game out. Might not always get results in stats but he has been consistant and steady.

Biggest disappointment--Chorney hands down, but I think he turns the corner soon and so does this team.

Your right, Kozek has been much better this year. Still hasn't played great but after the last two years of not existing on the ice i'll take good. But Chorney is still this team's best defenseman i just don't understand how you all believe he's been so bad yet no one has mentioned Bina who has been god-awful defensively this year.

Your right, Kozek has been much better this year. Still hasn't played great but after the last two years of not existing on the ice i'll take good. But Chorney is still this team's best defenseman i just don't understand how you all believe he's been so bad yet no one has mentioned Bina who has been god-awful defensively this year.

Good point. How about 1 and 1A? They both have under performed so far this year.