SiouxSports.com Forum

Reception for Dale Lennon at 2pm

jimdahl

I'll pass. ;)

This sour grapes stuff is crap. Grow up. I think it's safe to say that Coach Lennon left this program in a much better situation than it was in when he got here with all that has transpired during his tenure. Was it ideal timing for UND? No. But sometimes you have to do whats best for you and your family. Don't berate him for doing exactly that. Ridiculous.

This sour grapes stuff is crap. Grow up. I think it's safe to say that Coach Lennon left this program in a much better situation than it was in when he got here with all that has transpired during his tenure. Was it ideal timing for UND? No. But sometimes you have to do whats best for you and your family. Don't berate him for doing exactly that. Ridiculous.

The man who talks about honesty and integrity has the right to answer why he lacked to tell his players about the decision when other people already knew about it.

Why did his own players have to find out about it from others instead of Lennon himself?

I'd like to hear Lennons answer.

Ok, so an employer comes to you and says they are willing to double your salary with the caveat being you have to accept it now or never. I won't even mention the other positives to Coach Lennon's family for accepting the position. Then you say you would like to at least wait until your players get back from all over the upper midwest from Christmas vacation so you can tell them personally in a meeting. Employer then asks when that will be. You say end of the first week in January. Employer says that's too long, and that they need to know now so they can move forward one way or another.

What would you fellas do in your infinite wisdom?

Fair enough. But keep in mind, all we've heard on this board over the past several years is how much loyalty and integrity Dale Lennon has. As it turns out, maybe he's not all that different than most coaches.

;)

Fine, I guess if you feel that guys who have sacrificed their time, their energy, and their bodies for Coach Lennon deserved to hear about his departure from co-workers, newspapers, and internet message boards then I guess their isn't any real point in me debating with you about this. We obviously will never agree.

I was at the reception for the second hour.

I am sure a lot of people came during the beginning of the reception, but there was still a good turnout when I was there. It was nice seeing so many people come out to thank Coach Lennon for his huge impact on Sioux football and athletics.

I also saw him tear up a couple times.

Dan Hammer and his wife drove up to Grand Forks just for the reception.

I visited a little with Chris and I was happy to have the chance to give Dale a hug goodbye and wish him well before he left. It sounds like he will be starting on the 2nd of January (or sometime close to that). I also don't think that SIU has done really any recruiting at all yet. Ooof!

Note: When I first heard the news of his resignation I was pretty upset for about an hour, and then I realized that it is such an amazing opportunity for Coach that I couldn't help but be happy for him and his family. But I am a little biased. I have had the privilege of working with Coach Lennon and his staff for certain events the last six years, and I have way too much respect for him to write a disparaging comment, even under the cloak of an anonymous username.

Ok, so an employer comes to you and says they are willing to double your salary with the caveat being you have to accept it now or never. I won't even mention the other positives to Coach Lennon's family for accepting the position. Then you say you would like to at least wait until your players get back from all over the upper midwest from Christmas vacation so you can tell them personally in a meeting. Employer then asks when that will be. You say end of the first week in January. Employer says that's too long, and that they need to know now so they can move forward one way or another.

What would you fellas do in your infinite wisdom?

We can talk in hypotheticals all day long.

Seems rationale to me.

Because it is rational. dlsiouxfan is a former player that received a phone call from both Schweigert and Dosch when they left.

Coach Tibesar was unable to meet with the players, but had Dale come to our 6 am workout to tell us about it and apologize for not being there himself before it broke in the news. Something could have been done by Dale, especially considering his emphasis on "uncommon sense" all the time. For those not involved in the program, it basically means doing far more than what others would have done. He could have done it differently. Like I said before, in the end, he proved he was just a coach. Nothing more.

I would be extremely disappointed if Lennon doesn't give at least an apology to his players. They deserved better than what they got from him regarding this.

Apologizing for moving up the food chain? I have never apologized for taking a promotion. I have never had a boss apologize to me for taking a promotion. He doubled his pay. THAT is a promotion!

I believe Wayne Nelson will have some quotes from Dale in tomorrow's Hearld addressing the situation....

It happened so quick, over Christmas Break and such, however I know Dale will in his own way handle this situation. I am confident he was not happy the way it came down, and if could do it over differently he would.

He was more than just a "Coach" at UND, he was a mentor to many, great for the community, father figure for some, friend to most......

But he was and always will be just one of us.......

I believe Wayne Nelson will have some quotes from Dale in tomorrow's Hearld addressing the situation....

It happened so quick, over Christmas Break and such, however I know Dale will in his own way handle this situation. I am confident he was not happy the way it came down, and if could do it over differently he would.

He was more than just a "Coach" at UND, he was a mentor to many, great for the community, father figure for some, friend to most......

But he was and always will be just one of us.......

[url=http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=62150&section=sports]UND FOOTBALL: Lennon:

It's called a phone. Do I need to explain to you how it works? Other coaches in the past who've left (Schweigert, Dosch) have been able to make phone calls, I can't see why Lennon's situation would be any different.

Calling all of the players would be impossible. He'd be on the phone all day. Besides, after he called a couple of them, the players would have been calling each other anyway. Very few would have heard first hand from Lennon.

I think the situation was handled as well as it could've been considering it's Christmas break.

That depends on how much was the salary that was being offered double. If I was earning just enough to pay my bills and get by paycheck to paycheck then you're damn right I would accept the offer for double my salary. But if my current salary was more than enough to live on (say $100,000/year) and I was happy where I was, I would not uproot my family and move across the country for another job. But obviously Coach Lennon has shown that his values are not exactly the same as mine. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, it merely is what it is.

It doesn't matter if you make $25,000 a year or $100,000 a year. Your lifestyle adjusts to your paycheck. If you make $100,000 chances are your house and vehicle are going to be much different than if you make $25,000. Look around GF and Fargo, I'd say some of the people that have built new homes are living paycheck to paycheck. :D

That depends on how much was the salary that was being offered double. If I was earning just enough to pay my bills and get by paycheck to paycheck then you're damn right I would accept the offer for double my salary. But if my current salary was more than enough to live on (say $100,000/year) and I was happy where I was, I would not uproot my family and move across the country for another job. But obviously Coach Lennon has shown that his values are not exactly the same as mine. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, it merely is what it is.

I don't think this has anything to do with Dale's values. He has a long record of being of good character and a class act. He was approached by SIU while on a recruiting trip and asked to meet with the AD from SIU. They were impressed enough with him to ask him and his wife to come for an on campus interview and to offer one of the highest salaries in D1AA FB. There are a number of challenges for him and opportunites he may not have access to at UND for a couple of years. He didn't leave because of any administrative issues as such. He has dealt with those over the past few years and weathered the storm. UND football is left in good condition with a great recruiting class last year and a great start on recruiting for this year. If he steals some of the recruits committed here then criticize him. Otherwise thanks Dale and Godspeed. Best wishes for great success for Dale and his family except when they play UND. Then I hope he gets his butt kicked.

UND FB isn't Dale Lennon. It is much more than that and the program is positioned for the transition with an excellent group of athletes for success next fall. UND will hire a good coach. Dale thinks we can hire internally and we should be able to do that. There should also be great candidates outside of the program. Whomever we hire should be the best coach to keep the UND tradition and success on track for the future.

I don't think this has anything to do with Dale's values. He has a long record of being of good character and a class act. He was approached by SIU while on a recruiting trip and asked to meet with the AD from SIU. They were impressed enough with him to ask him and his wife to come for an on campus interview and to offer one of the highest salaries in D1AA FB. There are a number of challenges for him and opportunites he may not have access to at UND for a couple of years. He didn't leave because of any administrative issues as such. He has dealt with those over the past few years and weathered the storm. UND football is left in good condition with a great recruiting class last year and a great start on recruiting for this year. If he steals some of the recruits committed here then criticize him. Otherwise thanks Dale and Godspeed. Best wishes for great success for Dale and his family except when they play UND. Then I hope he gets his butt kicked.

UND FB isn't Dale Lennon. It is much more than that and the program is positioned for the transition with an excellent group of athletes for success next fall. UND will hire a good coach. Dale thinks we can hire internally and we should be able to do that. There should also be great candidates outside of the program. Whomever we hire should be the best coach to keep the UND tradition and success on track for the future.

Excellent post.