SiouxSports.com Forum

Change up the lines

yzerman19

Alright, as I have nothing better to do, and as I am clearly a much better master of team chemistry than Hak; I have decided that it is time to switch up the lines.

TJ Oshie is our best one on one forward, and can arguably be effective on any line with any other forwards. Ryan Duncan has been shadowed by defenders and has not been able to get his wicked wrister off very much. With that in mind, and with what I have seen this year, I advocate the following line combinations:

Line 1: Vandevelde, Duncan and Frattin

Line 2: Kaip, Watkins and Oshie

Line 3: Trupp, Kozek and Malone

Line 4: Zajac, Radke and Davidson

D1: Finley and Bina

D2: Chorney and Lapointe

D3: Genoway and Jones

PP1: Vandevelde, Duncan, Oshie, Chorney, Lapointe

PP2: Kaip, Kozek, Frattin, Genoway and Bina

I think that splitting up Duncan and Oshie will allow for better matchups for one or the other, depending on who the opponent has out there. Frattin played well with Duncan against Michigan State, so he moves up to line 1.

Oshie on line 2 with Kaip and Watkins could really make that line deadly. With Watkins' speed and Kaip's physical play, that could open up a ton of room for TJ to take guys one on one and beat them.

For the record line 1 vs line 2 is interchangeable. It will totally depend on matchup. In fact, I think that Line 2 might actually be our #1 line.

Third line is all potential. I think those 3 have a ton of talent, and we should keep giving them chances.

Fourth line, I think its time to go for a street brawl line. Big, Physical, one job...beat up the opposition.

on D, I still believe that Genoway belongs on the point. He brings good offensive upside. Pair him with Jones who provides no offensive upside.

On the PP units, put our current first line back together for P1, and totally revamp the 2nd unit. I like Genoway and Bina as the D-pairing on PP2, as they both have a history of scoring goals from the point.

what the hell, we have a long time til sioux hockey

Line 1: Duncan - Oshie - Trupp

Line 2: Genoway - Vande Velde - Frattin

Line 3: Kozek - Kaip - Malone

Line 4: Zajac - Forney- Watkins

scratch - Miller,Davidson,Martens

D1: Finley - Bina

D2: Chorney - Lapoint (No E at the end :lol: )

D3: Marto - Jones

scratch - Radke

Hakstol said on the radio Monday that there were some changes coming in the lineup. He didn't say exactly what they'd be. Perhaps he will elaborate more on tonight's Fighting Sioux Coaches' Show.

If only there would be a way for us that are too dumb to tune in the right station at the right time to find out what he says.

You got my vote. One thing that Blais used to do was change the lines during games all of the time. That was on teams that were consistently #1 ranked.

Maybe that's something to try to make the guys play a bit more desperate.

Being a Detroit Red Wings fan, they used to do this all the time and their success showed for it. They actually split up the Zetterburg, Holmstrom, and Datsyuk line last week against Montreal and they ended up winning 4-1. It's not necessarily a bad idea because it gets a mix of guys used to playing together.

I think on every scoring line you want to have a guy who can put the puck in the net. Right now, after the first line you start wondering. Yes, Kaip has chipped in, and Kozek has 6 this year, but other than Oshie and Duncan there aren't really other guys on this team that you fear right now.

I still believe that stacking one line makes it easier for opponents to key on that line and take them out of the game. Keep the big guns together on the PP.

Do you think that SCSU or Mankato State has enough depth to shut down Oshie AND Duncan if we split them up. I doubt it.

I notice that everyone moves Kozek (or keeps Kozek) on the third line. Why? Kozek has more goals than Duncan and has contributed more to the team this year than any of his previous years. Yzerman19's suggestions are ok, but I think putting Kozek on that line with his wrist shot and his physical play may actually do better than Kaip.

I like Kaip where he is: On the third line heading up the checking line. Put him (or keep him) with Malone and either Watkins or Zajac.

As for the fourth line, I'd say we need to give them a reason to be on the ice. So, despite his good performance, I'd put Genoway on that line with Forney (Yes, Forney) and Trupp.

I know Kozek hasn't worked out on the scoring lines in past years, but in the past years, he hasn't produced as much as he has.

So, my lines would look like (I didn't pay much attention to which Wing a player would play or, in the case of the 4th line, who'd play Center):

Frattin-Oshie-Kozek

Watkins-VV-Duncan

Malone-Kaip-Zajac/Trupp

Trupp/Zajac-Genoway-Forney

splitting up duncs and osh could go either way... but they have played together too long with good results to split them up now IMHO, so...

Duncan-VV-Osh

Frattin-Kaip-Malone

Kozek-Trupp-Watkins

Zajac-Forney-Davidson/Radke

Chorney-Lapoint

Bina-Finley

Genoway-Marto/Jones

i think this give the top three lines definite scoring potential (if they click, chemistry has been an issue this season). i still think we are best served with Genoway at defense, so Marto and Jones play depending on the matchup. fourth line is a big ?? to me, still waiting for someone to step up or get a chance. i think forney and davidson have upsides, but have very little to base that on. it will be interesting if hak gives us anything in the coaches show, or makes us wait to see. GO SIOUX!!

I notice that everyone moves Kozek (or keeps Kozek) on the third line. Why? Kozek has more goals than Duncan and has contributed more to the team this year than any of his previous years. Yzerman19's suggestions are ok, but I think putting Kozek on that line with his wrist shot and his physical play may actually do better than Kaip.

I like Kaip where he is: On the third line heading up the checking line. Put him (or keep him) with Malone and either Watkins or Zajac.

As for the fourth line, I'd say we need to give them a reason to be on the ice. So, despite his good performance, I'd put Genoway on that line with Forney (Yes, Forney) and Trupp.

I know Kozek hasn't worked out on the scoring lines in past years, but in the past years, he hasn't produced as much as he has.

So, my lines would look like (I didn't pay much attention to which Wing a player would play or, in the case of the 4th line, who'd play Center):

Frattin-Oshie-Kozek

Watkins-VV-Duncan

Malone-Kaip-Zajac/Trupp

Trupp/Zajac-Genoway-Forney

unless im missing something, i believe kaip-watkins-whoever has been our second line. i agree with you kozek has been big this year, but it is all about the combinations, and if our three lines roll equally, it shouldn't matter. and i agree with you about the fourth line, they need to show something to earn the ice time, but putting genoway there is ridiculous, he needs to be on the ice, which is why i think we are best served with him on the blue line.

You need a creator, a getter, and a shooter.

You need the creative playmaking guy, the vision guy, who moves the puck or does it himself when it's there.

You need the boardman, the guy who goes to the corner and comes out with the puck.

You need a guy with a natural scorer's touch, a pure shooter.

You need a Creator, a Getter, and a Shooter:

Hrkac, Joyce, Johnson
: Tony was the creator, Bob Joyce was the shooter, Steve Johnson was able to serve the role of getter (but was a natural creator).

Spiewak, Notermann, Hale
: Not a prolific line by any stretch, but Spie created, Hale could go in and get it, and Notermann could hit the pipe from anywhere.
:lol:

Panzer, Bayda, Lundbohm
: Jeff created, Bayda was a very good boardman, and Lundbohm just kept stretching twine.

Yes, there are exceptions to this philosophy (like "Who was the Getter in Parise, Bochenski, Murray?"), but in general it holds.

So, what are the real personalities of the guys on this team and how do you fit them together?

what the hell, we have a long time til sioux hockey

Line 1: Duncan - Oshie - Trupp

Line 2: Genoway - Vande Velde - Frattin

Line 3: Kozek - Kaip - Malone

Line 4: Zajac - Forney- Watkins

scratch - Miller,Davidson,Martens

D1: Finley - Bina

D2: Chorney - Lapoint (No E at the end :lol: )

D3: Marto - Jones

scratch - Radke

Roughly three weeks. Too long. It will let the guys heal a bit though.

I still believe that stacking one line makes it easier for opponents to key on that line and take them out of the game. Keep the big guns together on the PP.

I'm not a coach so I don't know but if your PP lines are made up of guys from different lines throughout your lineup, how much trouble do you have putting a line on the ice after the PP, when your PP guys are gassed?

My lines:

Line1 - Kozek/VandeVelde/Oshie

Line2 - Duncan/Watkins/Frattin

Line3 - Trupp/Kaip/Malone

Line4 - Radke/Zajac/Forney

D1 - Chorney/Bina

D2 - Genoway/Jones

D3 - LaPoint/Finley

Scratches: Marto, Davidson, Martens

Separate Duncan and Oshie so other teams can't key in on just one line. Move Kozek up because he's been playing really well this year and getting rewarded for his efforts with goals. Have Watkins center two snipers in Duncan and Frattin for the 2nd line. The 3rd line would be fun to watch with physical Kaip, feisty Trupp, and Malone for the boards and standing in front of the net for garbage goals. I put Radke on the 4th line, but if he starts taking stupid penalties, substitute for Martens. I'd like to see Forney get another shot, he looked good out there in his earlier 2 games.

I hate to scratch Marto after his strong, consistent play, but I just can't move Genoway up to forward. He's so good at skating the puck out of our defensive zone (the best on our d-corps IMO) that I can't justify losing his great transition play back on defense.

I'm not a coach so I don't know but if your PP lines are made up of guys from different lines throughout your lineup, how much trouble do you have putting a line on the ice after the PP, when your PP guys are gassed?

Hopefully the powerplays will only last about 30 seconds, so we won't have to worry about that :lol:

No, many powerplays are made up of pieces of other lines.

I agree with the playmaker, getter and shooter. It is generally the most effective so who is what?

shooters are Duncan, Kozek and Frattin maybe?

getters are Kaip, Malone, Zajac, Watkins, Vande

playmakers are Oshie and Trupp maybe?

So maybe try:

Vande, Oshie and Kozek

Trupp, Duncan and Malone

Kaip, Watkins and Frattin

Zajac, whoever earns it

My lines:

D1 - Chorney/Bina

D2 - Genoway/Jones

D3 - LaPoint/Finley

Separate Duncan and Oshie so other teams can't key in on just one line. Move Kozek up because he's been playing really well this year and getting rewarded for his efforts with goals. Have Watkins center two snipers in Duncan and Frattin for the 2nd line. The 3rd line would be fun to watch with physical Kaip, feisty Trupp, and Malone for the boards and standing in front of the net for garbage goals. I put Radke on the 4th line, but if he starts taking stupid penalties, substitute for Martens. I'd like to see Forney get another shot, he looked good out there in his earlier 2 games.

I hate to scratch Marto after his strong, consistent play, but I just can't move Genoway up to forward. He's so good at skating the puck out of our defensive zone (the best on our d-corps IMO) that I can't justify losing his great transition play back on defense.

I like this set up. I only put Genoway at forward because of the coaching staff said they didn't want to sit Marto.

playmakers are Oshie and Trupp maybe?

You're getting warmer ....

How many natural playmakers, Creators, does this team have that can play at WCHA speed?

I think they're named there.

Miller gets pressured and he gives up the puck (see: lack of 2nd power play unit success). Vandy is in a getter role right now but has creator potential. Kozek is a natural sniper who has shown some Creator flashes. Who else? Maybe Frattin? Chay Genoway? I haven't seen enough of Forney to comment. The other guys are Getters or Shooters.

This is where no Jonathan Toews really hurts.

My lines:

D1 - Chorney/Bina

D2 - Genoway/Jones

D3 - LaPoint/Finley

That is THE WORST fourth line in the history of hockey period...any level.

My lines:

D1 - Chorney/Bina

D2 - Genoway/Jones

D3 - LaPoint/Finley

I agree that Genoway is better on D...The games I have seen that he has played forward he has been pretty ineffective...keep Chay on D.

That is THE WORST fourth line in the history of hockey period...any level.

ahh come on.....I am sure if you were skating on that line it would be much better. I think that 4th line even without you would run circles around any line on GF Red River...so I disagree