SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs the Gophers round 2 tonight.

Goon

Everytime I've been to one of those booster lunches the opposing coach speaks. I don't ever recall the opposing school song being played, however. Maybe they were just being polite. You know, the small town Norwegian thing.

I was surprised that Lucia wasn't there. The old Sioux Booster President used to roast the coaches quite a bit, but I don't think the current guy would.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old Sioux Booster President used to roast the coaches quite a bit, but I don't think the current guy would.

LadyDy isn't the President anymore? She did a great job at the roasts. I'm trying to remember one roast that involved giving the coaches jerseys but can't remember more than that. I think it was last year. Help?

LadyDy isn't the President anymore? She did a great job at the roasts. I'm trying to remember one roast that involved giving the coaches jerseys but can't remember more than that. I think it was last year. Help?

I think it was last year for the Duluth series. That was after the 50 penalties on the Sioux on the trip to Mariucci. Anyway, she had a Gopher jersey with "Campion" sewn on the back. I forget exactly what she said to go along with it, but it busted up the crowd!

I think it was last year for the Duluth series. That was after the 50 penalties on the Sioux on the trip to Mariucci. Anyway, she had a Gopher jersey with "Campion" sewn on the back. I forget exactly what she said to go along with it, but it busted up the crowd!

I would love to have a picture of that jersey.

Me, too. I'm going to send her a PM and ask if she has any. She's a FUN fan. Phats and I were on Al's bus to Columbus with her and a bunch of other great Fighting Sioux fans. UNFORGETABLE!!!

Hard to forget that you missed the 1st period of the game! :glare:

No fault at all of the drivers though, traffic accident, wasn't it?

Hard to forget that you missed the 1st period of the game! :ohmy:

No fault at all of the drivers though, traffic accident, wasn't it?

Yeah, the first bus got there ok but the people on our bus wanted breakfast ( :glare: ) and we got caught behind a flipped over RV. No injuries that we heard of though. Still a great time, great fans, great memories.

It is better than the 4-7-1 start of last season. I think UND played for 26 1/2 minutes this weekend and got 2 points and almost pulled the game off last night. That is unsatisfactory. If the boys can't be ready to play against the Goofers they need to have their pulse checked. Minnesota is not a good team and they peed one down their leg last night.

I think UND should send the league office the tape where they missed a obvious offsides that lead to a goofer goal. That is unsatisfactory.

Finally; Campion is a horse bleep official, call me a :lol: I don't give an ef, the penalty on Wheeler dive was horrible. Unfortunately, the Sioux team gave up a goal before the power play. Campion was just waiting to call a penalty against UND. Also the reviewing of the goals was over the top. Everyone knows that Oshies goal off the skate was an obvious NON-kicking motion.

Yeah well that is fine, but we don't have Johnny Toews to rely on coming back this year. That was a very poor effort on Sat night. There just is not the scoring punch developed yet on the lower lines. They give up goals but do not score goals. Put in FORNEY....I am so tired of Martens, Miller and yes Zajac. Radke would have served better than those three this past weekend

I gotta agree with everything you say here. I think both Kaip and Watkins had pretty decent weekends. I thought Trupp was probably our best forward friday night and I thought Watkins was our best on Saturday. He seemed to have by far the most jump out of any of the forwards.

I believe Oshie was playing at somewhere between 50 and 60% this weekend. When he was going down to block some point shots on Saturday night, you could plainly see that he was having more and more trouble getting up. It was quite obvious he was hurting.

I have seen all but a few MN games this year and I thought that was far and away their best weekend of hockey. They seemed to be a totally different team than the one I have seen in previous weeks. In previous weeks, I thought they were being outplayed by teams such as Michigan Tech and AA and in the case of the Michigan Tech series were lucky to get two points as opposed to this weekend were I believe that the Sioux were very lucky to get two points.

Yeah well Oshie at 60% is still our best forward by far. Teams are keyting on Duncan and he cannot get off that snapshot like he could last year. Two of his goals this year have gone off of opposing players. I am not knocking Dunc but just pointing out that a lot of his goals last year were due to the attention other teams played to Toews.

Yeah well that is fine, but we don't have Johnny Toews to rely on coming back this year. That was a very poor effort on Sat night. There just is not the scoring punch developed yet on the lower lines. They give up goals but do not score goals. Put in FORNEY....I am so tired of Martens, Miller and yes Zajac. Radke would have served better than those three this past weekend

Agreed. Of the three Zajac has played the best.

Oshie's move that resulted in his banging one off the crossbar on Friday was just sick. He is our best one on one forward.

The Sioux defense had some problems on the breakout this last weekend. It is a combination of not being able to make a guy miss, and the forwards getting up the ice too quickly. We need short crisp passes, not these 30-40 footers.

we really need Chorney to get going back there. He is not having his best season.

We also are being to cutesy with the puck. They don't all have to be highlight reel goals. The toe-dragging, dropp passes, etc. have to go. We can do that on odd-number transition play, but not in an even up break in. Get the puck on the net, keep the feet moving, stick on the ice and try and dig for some rebounds. We haven't had enough ugly goals.

Our second powerplay unit offers nothing. It is definitely time to change that up.

Last complaint is too much stick work, not enough foot work. I don't care how strong or how good a stickhandler you are, a guy with his feet in motion underneath him will take the puck every single time.

Our defense was less effective on Saturday night than friday night at transitioning the puck and pressuring the Gophers. How many odd-mans did they give up???

In my opinion the players receive passing grades for their performance are as follows:

Oshie, Vandevelde, Duncan, Watkins, Kaip, Malone, Genoway, Finley, Chorney, Bina

Of them Oshie, Vande, Watkins and Genoway receive A's. Kaip, Duncan and Malone B's, the rest C's. Although Finley was working the enforcer role pretty well, taking on the Gopher bench and asking Bickel if he wanted to drop the gloves.

The rest do not achieve a passing a grade. Zajac gets an incomplete, as he did well on the draws.

LaPointe regressed a little, Trupp and Kozek and Miller and Martens were non existent. Frattin had a wide open net and tried to be cute instead of banging it in. Marto and Jones looked like they were overmatched and scambling.

It is mid-way through the season, and we have done better than last year. We continue to win periods when pressed, however the urgency is not there, and you can't spot a team a couple goalsand expect to win. While it is unfortunate that we haven't swept anybody, but we also have not been swept and we have played at least three maybe four teams that barring strange events will make the NCAA tournament field. We know that we can beat CC, Denver, Michigan State, MN, Northeastern...we've done it. We haven't blown them off the rink, and in fact the wins have been good hard-fought victories (except MSU in the first game of the season). My point is we are currently capable of competing and beating any team in college hockey on any given night. We are doing this minus our best two two-way forwards from last year ( Toews and Porter). We can't expect to cruise through the season. It is a tough, long road. I am not afraid of Notre Dame or Miami, they haven't palyed a tough schedule. The ECAC is weak again. Hockey East leader is Northeastern, who we;ve beaten. Michigan is the only team that I don't know if we can match up with right now.

Remember that come playoff time, the freshmen won't be freshmen anymore. Remember what happened to Vande last year in the playoffs. He was nonexistent until the Final 5.

Gophers outplayed us most of the series. That is fine, the Gophs match up well with our style of play. They have a ton of skilled forwards, and we don't trap and box, don't let their record surprise you or lull you into thinking they aren't that good. They are very good. On a talent level they are at par with us and Denver. We were able to beat them both 3rd periods after being beaten for the first 40 both nights, when we came out desperate. In a one and done, I think Hakstol can get that fire from the boys for 60 minutes.

We also are being to cutesy with the puck. They don't all have to be highlight reel goals. The toe-dragging, dropp passes, etc. have to go. We can do that on odd-number transition play, but not in an even up break in. Get the puck on the net, keep the feet moving, stick on the ice and try and dig for some rebounds. We haven't had enough ugly goals.

Our second powerplay unit offers nothing. It is definitely time to change that up.

Last complaint is too much stick work, not enough foot work. I don't care how strong or how good a stickhandler you are, a guy with his feet in motion underneath him will take the puck every single time.

In a one and done, I think Hakstol can get that fire from the boys for 60 minutes.

Four keys on which I am in complete agreement with you, yzerman...

Couple observations from last weekend:

1) Most surprising to me was that und played with no fire, heart, or passion all weeekend. That was very alarming especially against the Gophers. Seemed as if they didn't care if they won or lost. Gophers won most of the battles for loose pucks, outhustled und, and for the most part appeared hungrier both nights.

2) Lamaroux is a damn good goalie. From what I have been told by the outlaws, Lamaroux has "stole" a few games for und because the defensemen in front of him had played awful.

3) Speaking of defensemen, I certainly thought with 3 experienced d-men und would shut down most of their opponents. Chorney looked lost, Finley while a big bruiser is still a liablity with the puck. Robbie Bina looked like und best d-man last weekend--wish the best of luck to Robbie because that is a hell of a story.

4) Gophers did a great job handling und's forecheck. Gophers had quick precise passing which allowed them to break out and create the odd-man rushes.

5) Minnesota played a 50 minute game on Friday and a 55 minute game on Saturday which is encouraging. Gophers have folded faster than a lawn chair in the 3rd periods this year. So to see a solid performance Saturday going into the break is certainly a positive. Carman and Bostrom will be back in a couple of weeks which will be needed with the 2nd half and a lot tougher schedule.

6) This years und team is a head-scratcher. On paper they should be steamrolling through the competition but alas it is another stuggle the 1st half of the season. I think both und and the UofM will heat up in the 2nd half. Und has a good foundation in a solid goaltender. I get the sense that if the players make a mistake then Lamaroux will make a save. Can't really say that for the Gophers. Also, the experienced d-men will eventually play like experienced d-men. Und offense will come around as well. Things will be fine.

Couple observations from last weekend:

1) Most surprising to me was that und played with no fire, heart, or passion all weeekend. That was very alarming especially against the Gophers. Seemed as if they didn't care if they won or lost. Gophers won most of the battles for loose pucks, outhustled und, and for the most part appeared hungrier both nights.

2) Lamaroux is a damn good goalie. From what I have been told by the outlaws, Lamaroux has "stole" a few games for und because the defensemen in front of him had played awful.

3) Speaking of defensemen, I certainly thought with 3 experienced d-men und would shut down most of their opponents. Chorney looked lost, Finley while a big bruiser is still a liablity with the puck. Robbie Bina looked like und best d-man last weekend--wish the best of luck to Robbie because that is a hell of a story.

4) Gophers did a great job handling und's forecheck. Gophers had quick precise passing which allowed them to break out and create the odd-man rushes.

5) Minnesota played a 50 minute game on Friday and a 55 minute game on Saturday which is encouraging. Gophers have folded faster than a lawn chair in the 3rd periods this year. So to see a solid performance Saturday going into the break is certainly a positive. Carman and Bostrom will be back in a couple of weeks which will be needed with the 2nd half and a lot tougher schedule.

6) This years und team is a head-scratcher. On paper they should be steamrolling through the competition but alas it is another stuggle the 1st half of the season. I think both und and the UofM will heat up in the 2nd half. Und has a good foundation in a solid goaltender. I get the sense that if the players make a mistake then Lamaroux will make a save. Can't really say that for the Gophers. Also, the experienced d-men will eventually play like experienced d-men. Und offense will come around as well. Things will be fine.

uh, yeah....just like the last 3 seasons as well up til christmas and yes phil is damn good, im sure a bunch of gopher faithful who wouldnt admit it would take the flopping frenchman (gopher fan term) :lol: over long island frazee, for sure!

i think the loss the stoa will hurt umtc overall and they wont turn it on and make a big time run, i dont see it happening with the young d core and frazee or kangas. not through green goggles, just as a regular fan. its not gona happen. the gophers schedule was very favorable even without stoa and others but they couldnt do much. carman is gona be back after the break due to being ineligable so that may help a bit. the sioux didnt play great vs the gophers but you can look at the series vs sconnie where the sioux handeled them that friday and couldnt score and then get the split saturday. thats the wcha sometimes..great league with crazy outcomes weekly. cant wait for UNH who will be without JVR wich is nice and we will have a full squad for the first time in 5-6 years and probably the only for the next 4 years. had a blast being back for the series, cant beat the sioux/gopher rivalry on and off the ice!!

yeah sometimes it does seem that way, one night we cant score on the PP and the next its different.

8 of our 10 PP goals have come from oshie (4g, 4 a) duncan (2g, 3a) vandevelde (2g) bina (6 assists) chorney (3 assist)

the other 2 goals have come from miller (1) and kozek (1)

just some numbers to throw out there. i think eberything will improve come UNH, nothing has been great for sure but nothing has been very bad either.

Referring to point number 4, I don't think our first PP unit brings any more than the second.

uh, yeah....just like the last 3 seasons as well up til christmas and yes phil is damn good, im sure a bunch of gopher faithful who wouldnt admit it would take the flopping frenchman (gopher fan term) :lol: over long island frazee, for sure!

i think the loss the stoa will hurt umtc overall and they wont turn it on and make a big time run, i dont see it happening with the young d core and frazee or kangas. not through green goggles, just as a regular fan. its not gona happen. the gophers schedule was very favorable even without stoa and others but they couldnt do much. carman is gona be back after the break due to being ineligable so that may help a bit. the sioux didnt play great vs the gophers but you can look at the series vs sconnie where the sioux handeled them that friday and couldnt score and then get the split saturday. thats the wcha sometimes..great league with crazy outcomes weekly. cant wait for UNH who will be without JVR wich is nice and we will have a full squad for the first time in 5-6 years and probably the only for the next 4 years. had a blast being back for the series, cant beat the sioux/gopher rivalry on and off the ice!!

Phil looked a lot better this year than last in games I've seen. He seems to have taken the path Parise did. Effective until his last year, then freaking awesome. Frazee may still develop, but who knows. Don't forget Lammy almost blew the Gophers regional game last year with his flopping, but got the call on Wheeler before Vanelli shot it into the open net. He didn't need to be anywhere Wheeler and got taken out. Sometimes you don't get those calls.

Reguarding the Gophers you have the same thoughts many intelligent (save the jokes) Gophers fans had about the Sioux last year. It really comes down to whether they can put out the effort they had in GF over the second half of the year. If they can put out that effort they will win enough games to make the NCAAs.

Phil looked a lot better this year than last in games I've seen. He seems to have taken the path Parise did. Effective until his last year, then freaking awesome. Frazee may still develop, but who knows. Don't forget Lammy almost blew the Gophers regional game last year with his flopping, but got the call on Wheeler before Vanelli shot it into the open net. He didn't need to be anywhere Wheeler and got taken out. Sometimes you don't get those calls.

Reguarding the Gophers you have the same thoughts many intelligent (save the jokes) Gophers fans had about the Sioux last year. It really comes down to whether they can put out the effort they had in GF over the second half of the year. If they can put out that effort they will win enough games to make the NCAAs.

im gona guess frazee leaves after this year, it doesnt mean he is ready by any means. just a hunch. kangas could be the man for years to come. i never thought that of frazee from the first time i watched him but i think kangas will be solid. the gophers schedule is gong to be much harder in the 2nd half. the first 4-6 games for minny will be critical in their positioning for sure. i think they will be the 4th wcha team to make the tourney but dont see it right now with who they have played against so far and the results.

phil does roam and that makes the whole arena nervous going back to last year vs michigan in the regional :lol:

phil does roam and that makes the whole arena nervous going back to last year vs michigan in the regional :lol:

I was thinking we put a lanyard on Phil and if he gets to far out of the net it will pull the net off it moorings.

I wish he would stay in the net more. I wish college hockey would add the zone the NHL has. If the puck is in the

zone the goalie doesn't tough it.

I was thinking we put a lanyard on Phil and if he gets to far out of the net it will pull the net off it moorings.

I wish he would stay in the net more. I wish college hockey would add the zone the NHL has. If the puck is in the

zone the goalie doesn't tough it.

I can't imagine all those delay of game penalties. :lol::glare: