SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs the Gophers round 2 tonight.

Goon

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too little, too late. Where was all that energy earlier? Sorry, but I consider this game weak.

Agreed. I don't like trashing the Sioux. But, I think it is fair to criticize the effort this weekend. Oh well, they certainly made it interesting. Get rested boys.

taz

I don't understand this team. This is the biggest series of the year and the biggest (non playoff) series at the REA since probably the last time UM was here and what does UND do? They come out and play flat for two periods in the first game of the series. They did come out hot on Friday but only for two shifts and the only reason we won that game is because JPL was unbelieveable. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to have as good of a repeat performance tonite, which was probably more to blame on the rest of the team.

UM played a very good game all weekend. They should have won both games. I was impressed that every time UND tried to get into the zone that UM usually had four or five guys back and they forced our guys into the corner without getting a shot off or if they did, it was a bad shot! Then when UM is breaking into the UND zone, UND only has two guys back and UM gets a good shot off. UM played great, UND played like garbage. Watching these games makes me wonder how UND was ranked #1 at the start of the season. I guess they have the talent to be ranked that high. It is too bad that talent can't play hard enough to deserve it...

edit...

I also forgot to rant about shooting the puck...

Good things happen when you shoot the puck! You can't score goals if you are chasing the puck around in the corners all night. UND got out shot 15-3 in the first period on Friday night. I think that if this was the IM team of the past few seasons, UM would have at least a four goal lead going into the first period. Start shooting the f'ing puck! Quite trying to make every goal pretty. The goal that was scored when Duncan tossed a backhand at the net and Vande Velde tipped it in is why you shoot the puck! It wasn't a pretty shot but the end result was a goal...

On air post game show talks about how well the gophs played defense. Agreed. However, UND failed to test them inside. They were not agressive to the net, and most of their play was along the boards.

Top line was pretty quiet, until it was too late. Sorry folks, but I knew Jeff Panzer, and this team is no Jeff Panzer!

Hak post-game comments:

I look to two points in the game. We tie it up 1-1, and get a PP, and that PP proved to build momentum for them. You have to score or at least build momentum on the PP. 2nd period, we gave up a goal within the last few minutes. That was too much to overcome and the final score proves that.

We should have desparation. That's what we needed to night. We didn't find it early enough. One step forward, and one step back.

Refs. I thought they let the players decide the game. They let things go both ways. The guys were trying, but didn't get a whole lot accomplished.

At the end of the 2nd period, we had a 4 on 4. Instead of getting something going, we had a few long shifts, and we let that one go.

We didn't make it tough enough on the goalie on the other end.

We got the puck out there a few times, but it ended up in the corner instead of where it needed to be. We were a bit sluggish along the blue line. You have to find a shooting lane and we didn't do a good job at that.

We wanted to build on last night, and come out and get the first goal. We didn't do that. Simple fact.

A lot of work to do yet.

Hak post-game comments:

I look to two points in the game. We tie it up 1-1, and get a PP, and that PP proved to build momentum for them. You have to score or at least build momentum on the PP. 2nd period, we gave up a goal within the last few minutes. That was too much to overcome and the final score proves that.

We should have desparation. That's what we needed to night. We didn't find it early enough. One step forward, and one step back.

Refs. I thought they let the players decide the game. They let things go both ways. The guys were trying, but didn't get a whole lot accomplished.

At the end of the 2nd period, we had a 4 on 4. Instead of getting something going, we had a few long shifts, and we let that one go.

We didn't make it tough enough on the goalie on the other end.

We got the puck out there a few times, but it ended up in the corner instead of where it needed to be. We were a bit sluggish along the blue line. You have to find a shooting lane and we didn't do a good job at that.

We wanted to build on last night, and come out and get the first goal. We didn't do that. Simple fact.

A lot of work to do yet.

A whole lot of work to do yet. This team is nowhere near championship form. Not even close.

First half of the season done, no sweeps. Not one. That is not Sioux hockey.

They start completing passes and shooting the puck, not making it pretty, but getting ugly goals and they will be alright.

For passes, they need to start with short passes, rather than the ones 2/3rd's the way down the ice. As for ugly goals, they score 2 of them, than try to make it pretty for the last 30 seconds. Yes, Minnesota was pressing hard, but you have to find a way to get it to the net.