SiouxSports.com Forum

focus for rest of season

siouxweet

I know it's early but I think any hopes of winning the WCHA are slim, cc essentially has a 4 game lead on us and we can't make up any ground if we keep splitting. that lead one would assume would grow this weekend with us going to denver and cc heading to aa. I think it is more realistic that we focus on a 2-3 place finish which should get us a good 2 seed(hopefully not paired up with cc in the regionals). at this point in time we just need to figure out a way to play more consistent and figure out a way to get a sweep here and there. 6-4-1 is acceptable but it could be way better. there is nothing we can do about the past and need to put all our emphasis on finding a way to get at least one win this weekend. Someone on another thread suggested splitting up duncan and oshie and maybe somehow form 2 dynamic lines instead of one, that might not be a bad idea, but hak knows what he is doing and after last year I said I wouldn't question him again.

this book has been written 3 times over already under coach hakstol with this hopefully being the 4th year over with a slightly better ending. so so start to the season then turn it on after x-mas. im not worried a bit and wont dig deep at all with this team. go to denver and play some great hockey!!

Duncan does not have anywhere near the space he had last year to unleash his wrist shot. VV just does not command the extra attention that is needed to get Duncan open. I would have to say it has been another disappointing start to the season.

Not saying that the league title is out of the picture, but I am disappointed that the McNaughton Cup doesn't seem to be as prestigious as it once was. I still hold it in high regard, because it means that a team was consistent against the toughest competition in the country. The Sioux just haven't been consistent enough to come close to this lately, but hopefully it starts this weekend against Denver.

We all know that in the NCAA tourney, a bad bounce similar to what happened to Lamoureux on Saturday, may end your season. Because of this, it would be nice to have a McNaughton Cup in your back pocket. I simply would hate to see Oshie, Chorney, Duncan, etc. leave UND without a single piece of hardware. In order to accomplish this, they can't continue to throw away points early in the year, and with the way CC is playing, they can ill afford to be .500 going into the Christmas break, which would make winning 3 of the next 4 very important.

Also, Hak has stated the need to get a high, if not top seed for the NCAA tourney, to avoid playing a Michigan in the 1st game. Winning the WCHA would almost assure you of a top seed. Let's start the second half surge a little early this year and give ourselves a little breathing room.

I heard they skated for 2 hours with the bags on, yesterday......I'm sure that's the inspiration they need for the weekend!! :D

I can't imagine hak is happy with the splits... and I would imagine they are learning that more and more in practice... I really hope ths weekend works out for us.. go sioux!

I can't imagine hak is happy with the splits... and I would imagine they are learning that more and more in practice... I really hope ths weekend works out for us.. go sioux!

There is just no excuse for a veteran team to come out and not be ready to play on Saturday's. It is a recurring theme so far this season especially at home. Most of these guys have been throught the league wars a few times now. We are not going to be able to just flip the switch every year around X-mas time.

We shouldn't have to rely so heavily on a better second half. We need to have a good season start to finish. It's so hard to do it 3 years in a row, much less 4.

yeah you are right but what can we do about it? nothing.......we will see what happens with this team and coaching staff. its NOVEMBER.

For some reason we were missing the intensity for most of the weekend.

i agree we didnt play well the whole weekend. i watched the games and saw the same thing. we did get the bounces and get a nice friday win but also had a chance to win a game saturday that we probably shouldnt have had a chance to win. then phil letting that goal in changed that. hopefully they will come out friday in denver flying and hitting!!

i agree we didnt play well the whole weekend. i watched the games and saw the same thing. we did get the bounces and get a nice friday win but also had a chance to win a game saturday that we probably shouldnt have had a chance to win. then phil letting that goal in changed that. hopefully they will come out friday in denver flying and hitting!!

Read lots of your posts. Kudos to you for being a "glass half full" guy. When you see them play live, like this weekend, it is quite disturbing. No jump, no urgency, no intensity. You put TJ, Dunc, Chorney on the ice to start the game on Sat, with all the other talent on this team, vs. UMD and lay an egg is disturbing...not postal worker disturbing, but disturbing none the less :D

Read lots of your posts. Kudos to you for being a "glass half full" guy. When you see them play live, like this weekend, it is quite disturbing. No jump, no urgency, no intensity. You put TJ, Dunc, Chorney on the ice to start the game on Sat, with all the other talent on this team, vs. UMD and lay an egg is disturbing...not postal worker disturbing, but disturbing none the less :D

and i respect your opinion along with everyone elses who posts here....i guess i dont feel the need to be worried in november going into december. thats just me though. we have played a bad game vs duluth and cc and the rest have been good games. we played OK on friday and got the bounces that we created to win. that has happened vs the sioux many times with teams so you take the win no matter what. saturday was a bummer game for sure but hak and the staff will have them ready as im pretty sure he wasnt happy as well :D hopefully we can put a string of wins together and it would be damn sweet to start it in denver where we usually play decent!

Didn't see either UMD game live, but the few glances I had on the television were disturbing. Pretty listless performance both nights. I know opponents are pumped about playing pre-season title favorites, so the Sioux are running into inspired foes everytime they take to the ice, but they simply haven't shown me a complete game playing like I think they are capable of. (Sorry for the rotten syntax :D )

Part of the "omg, its getting late" mood is legit: Saturday is 1 Dec, and the Sioux have only eight WCHA points available to them from now 'til the new year! They appear to have put themselves behind another eight-ball, which is not only flirting with playoff disaster, but disappointing from a team with this much talent.

If we played so many "good" games, maybe our team just isn't good enough this year.

:D

good enough? :D it is november and we have played 11 games.... so give up then, dont go to anymore games home or away ;)

we havent been great for sure, we also have had 2 BAD games vs duluth and cc. its november. little early to be getting worried. ill leave that up to the coaching staff whos job that is

Didn't see either UMD game live, but the few glances I had on the television were disturbing. Pretty listless performance both nights. I know opponents are pumped about playing pre-season title favorites, so the Sioux are running into inspired foes everytime they take to the ice, but they simply haven't shown me a complete game playing like I think they are capable of. (Sorry for the rotten syntax :D )

Part of the "omg, its getting late" mood is legit: Saturday is 1 Dec, and the Sioux have only eight WCHA points available to them from now 'til the new year! They appear to have put themselves behind another eight-ball, which is not only flirting with playoff disaster, but disappointing from a team with this much talent.

no problem, i trump anyone with bad message board grammar :D

good enough? :D it is november and we have played 11 games.... so give up then, dont go to anymore games home or away ;)

we havent been great for sure, we also have had 2 BAD games vs duluth and cc. its november. little early to be getting worried. ill leave that up to the coaching staff whos job that is

I'm just saying, it's a valid thought. Maybe they aren't as good as first expected. Whether they have the ability to or not, doesn't mean they will be. I'm not saying that's what I think personally, I'm just saying that it could be a possibilty. They aren't guaranteed to be good at any point in the season. They have to prove to themselves they are. Until then, they are only mediocre no matter how you look at it. It doesn't matter what they did in previous seasons. It doesn't matter what the preseason polls say. It doesn't matter how much talent they have and how good they are SUPPOSED to be....they still have to win games.