SiouxSports.com Forum

focus for rest of season

siouxweet

I simply would hate to see Oshie, Chorney, Duncan, etc. leave UND without a single piece of hardware.

Hey, I agree with you, tnt, but I do have to argue this point. They did win the Broadmoor Cup as freshman in '06. I'm sure, if given the choice, we all would have preferred the MacNaughton Cup (and not being called NDSU on the Red Baron posters :D ) but at least we got something concrete!

I heard they skated for 2 hours with the bags on, yesterday......I'm sure that's the inspiration they need for the weekend!! :D

If that is true, good. but maybe hak should have had them do that right after the game. many moons ago when I was in sports if we didn't play up to par my coach would run a practice after the meet.

I want to know how you skate with a bag on? I think a Road game might be what the boys want.

I agree. If they are on the road, Hak can lock them down for the weekend. At home, boys will be boys. It crossed my mind that might have happened after Friday night, especially after watching the 2nd period of Saturday night's game. Either that or they took UMD too lightly because they played with no sense of urgency until the 3rd period.

Hey, I agree with you, tnt, but I do have to argue this point. They did win the Broadmoor Cup as freshman in '06. I'm sure, if given the choice, we all would have preferred the MacNaughton Cup (and not being called NDSU on the Red Baron posters :D ) but at least we got something concrete!

I look at the Broadmoor Cup as I would a Holiday tournament championship, a trophy that anyone can win with a few good games. I suppose it's nice to have, but not really something one would use as fuel in an argument. I don't hear St. Cloud fans touting beating us years back as a milestone. I think they realize the WCHA and NCAA titles are more respected, although once again I think the WCHA has lost a bit of sheen.

It's a pretty big deal to those who are winning them. Not that I care about it much... This year. :D

Actually, it was Lucia that kind of diminished the WCHA title with his statements about just finishing in the top 3 to make a run in the NCAA tourney. From what I recall, he didn't even want to celebrate on the ice a couple years ago, then heard it from some people. I understand his philosophy that the whole job wasn't done, but it still was an accomplishment that deserves to be put on a pedestal. Last year he kind of changed his tune, probably because he saw what happened the year before and realized that this is an accomplishment that can't be taken away from you, regardless of how you fare in the NCAA tourney.

Actually, it was Lucia that kind of diminished the WCHA title with his statements about just finishing in the top 3 to make a run in the NCAA tourney. From what I recall, he didn't even want to celebrate on the ice a couple years ago, then heard it from some people. I understand his philosophy that the whole job wasn't done, but it still was an accomplishment that deserves to be put on a pedestal. Last year he kind of changed his tune, probably because he saw what happened the year before and realized that this is an accomplishment that can't be taken away from you, regardless of how you fare in the NCAA tourney.

Kind of right. I believe those Lucia comments were made when the Gophers were out of it in '03-'04. Rather than pack it up for the season, Lucia was trying to keep the boys on task so they could do well in St. Paul. It's not like he made those comments week three after getting blitzed by UND. Either way it didn't work and they finished 4th. Fortunately UW gagged vs. AA and the Gophers avoided the playin game and ended up winning the playoffs. Only to lose to UMD a week later.

Lucia was thought not celebrating the McNaughton in '05-'06 was silly from the outset. One of his quotes immediately was something to the effect that you should celebrate all your accomplishments, because you never know when you won't get another chance. Then Gino and the boys lose three straight in the playoffs.

I think all players and coaches desparately want the league title. If two teams were playing each other for the league championship in the final weekend it would be games similar to the two the Gophers and UND played at the end last year. That said I don't think guys like Hakstol/Gwoz/Owens/Lucia/Sandy are going to kill their guys before January of their league results are that great. The season is simply too long. I have know idea what the psycho in Madison does, he seems a little hyper tense and if I were betting that some WCHA coach was going to snap it would be him.

Maybe coaches just keep it a bit more under wraps about the WCHA title than they did in the past. I guess I just expect to hear things like "we can't afford to fall anymore points behind CC if we want to win a WCHA title". Maybe it is said to the players, not the media. If it was said last weekend, the urgency certainly didn't seem to be there. With Denver pulling out the win on Saturday, it kept the possibilities alive. I believe both Minnesota and UND are done with CC for the year, so head to head isn't a possibility. After the second half records of Minnesota and Wisconsin the past 2 years, it may be a bit early to be conceding anything at this point. Every team will have a lull, it's just a matter of when, and how bad.

Hey, I agree with you, tnt, but I do have to argue this point. They did win the Broadmoor Cup as freshman in '06. I'm sure, if given the choice, we all would have preferred the MacNaughton Cup (and not being called NDSU on the Red Baron posters :lol: ) but at least we got something concrete!

technically Duncan has the Hobey....that is hardware......or do they actually get the trophey when they win it?

technically Duncan has the Hobey....that is hardware......or do they actually get the trophey when they win it?

i think he has the trophy back home in canada

i would carry it in and out of the the ralph every weekend and let it sit in my locker next to my skates :lol: but thats just me ;)

A player once told me that he thought it was tougher to win the Final Five than the national championship. Because of the quality of teams in the WCHA, you have to go through a tougher field than you would in an NCAA tournament.

i agree if you come in as a 1 or 2 seed for the most part. espcially a 1 seed as you probably would get a team like holy cross or something :lol: if the top 5 teams in the wcha make it to the final 5 its a 2 or 3 game buzzsaw if you have the play in game

right, although losing a playoff game before making it to the final five can't be considered "good" :)

Unless you're DU from a few years ago...don't even make the final 5, end up getting into the big dance and winning the whole thing...yuk!