bertibm

Who do you want to win the Frozen Four  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to win the Frozen Four

• Minnesota
    • Cornell
    • Michigan
    • UNH

Even though I'm as big a Sioux fan as can be, I gotta root for the rival in this one. They are the neighbors, and they are the only WCHA team left. I also would be very pleased to see the WCHA win back to back titles. Let's go Gophers! Bring the NCAA title back to the WCHA again.

I am just going to watch the frozen 4 looking for good hockey games. I really don't have any extreme feeling either way. The Gophers are tearing me in 2 directions. (WCHA alliegence vs. Sioux Gopher rivalry)

I think the Gophers are peaking right now so they may provide a "challenge" to anyone. Cornell might have the D needed to shut down the gophers, Im not sure. I don't know much about UNH, but I think Michigan got a couple goals from the home ice crowd.

So I guess I am saying its going to be either the Gophers or The Big Red too close to call.

I also will be watching for some great hockey games. I am excited to see Cornell and LeNeveau to see how great he really is. I have never liked UNH, so that takes them out of the who I want to win thing. Michigan can't win because then they extend the lead over UND, and that just isn't right :blush: I would like to see the Gophers take it because that solidifies the fact that the WCHA rocks. I also really like Don Lucia. When the Gophers announced he would be coach, I knew it would be a matter of time before they won a championship, and that has come true. He has always seemed to be a decent guy in my eyes. He is still no Blaiser though :huh:

I am just going to watch the frozen 4 looking for good hockey games. I really don't have any extreme feeling either way. The Gophers are tearing me in 2 directions. (WCHA alliegence vs. Sioux Gopher rivalry) 

I think the Gophers are peaking right now so they may provide a "challenge" to anyone. Cornell might have the D needed to shut down the gophers, Im not sure. I don't know much about UNH, but I think Michigan got a couple goals from the home ice crowd.

So I guess I am saying its going to be either the Gophers or The Big Red too close to call.

I will be cheering for the Gophers...although my previous post makes it seem like I want Michigan, I answeared the question as to who I THOUGHT would win it, which is Michigan, but my WCHA allegence, plus my former "team" so to speak, says I would like to see the WCHA take home 3 titles in the last 4 years.

flatspin remember what happened the last time we watched the same game and cheered for different teams (2001 Stanley Cup Finals Avs-Devils Game 7) ???MY team won :blush: so my advice is to cheer for the Gophers because if I am there...they WILL win :huh: C'mon....EVERYBODY's doing it (a little good old fashioned peer pressure).

Either way...we are in for some great games

all's i care is that the gophers don't win. i know it sounds really mean but the gophers are just a team that i love to hate. i remember a while ago when someone was talking about who they thought was the best rival to play against and i pick the gophers. its fun to have friends and family that like the gophers because when we play them its fun to have some "friendly fighting." but back to the post - all's i care is that the gophers don't win. give someone else a chance :huh: .........just kidding. i know it sounds like im being really mean but i don't mean it like you probably think i do.

Greyeagle, its nice to hear that you were cheering for the WCHA. I would like to think that there are many more Minnesota fans like you out there. However, I was at Mariucci this weekend and the majority were cheering for Ferris State. An even more vocal majority cheered when it was announced that St. Cloud lost. I know people can cheer for whoever they want to, but I have always cheered for the WCHA when it comes to tournament time. If Sioux fans did that at our rink, I would be embarassed. My 15 year old son, who has played hockey since he was 5, could not believe it, and simply stated in frustration "I hate the Gophers." I really can't blame him, because we felt the same way in 1995 at a playoff game between the Red Wings and Jets when the Winnipeg crowd booed the US national anthem. They also had that right, but to me, it lacked class.

Several of the posters have questioned how Sioux fans can cheer for teams other than UM because they are a WCHA team. Perhaps this will give those persons some perspective and insight.

The Gophers have a great team, and are one the top programs in the country along with UND, Michigan, Michigan State, BU, BC, Wisconsin and Maine. It is some fans, including those who cheer when a WCHA team loses, or come on this message board to talk trash, that diminishes that great program in the eyes of many Sioux fans. The rivalry with Wisconsin has always been very intense, probably close to the UM/UND rivalry. Wisconsin fans put away the rivalry and gave us the home ice advantage at the NCAA Regionals in 2000 by cheering on the Sioux. The Sioux fans also cheered loudly for Wisconsin when it was playing BC. Why? Because it was the WCHA. At least some Gopher fans like yourself recognize that and it is much appreciated. :huh:

I will admit I did not stand up and cheer but I was pulling for the Sioux. I definately was not cheering for the FSU hacks and I can't believe anyone would. I do draw the line at cheering for UW though.

Like I said in another post somewhere. You may hate MN or UW or UND or whomever in the WCHA, but it's sure nice to throw (UND's 7, DU's 5, UW's 5, MN's 4, MTU's 3, CC's 2, plus the U-MI titles and NMU's title from their WCHA days) in the face of some schmuck from the east coast.

Too bad some people are cheering for non-WCHA teams.

For the most part, Vikings fans root against the Packers in the playoffs. I understand that the hockey allegiences/dynamic is a little different, but I don't think Sioux fans should be 'shamed' for rooting against the Gophers.

I rooted for them to win last years' Championship and even got tickets to the X to watch the win, but no way will I root for them this year. It was hard enough listening to so many of them over the last year--it would be unbearable if they repeat.

The Gophers, though, look WAY good. I think hot goaltending and solid D are the only way to beat them. Montoya, Ayers, and LeNeveu all have the potential to stand on their heads. I think Cornell has the D/tending to beat the Gophs.

Who do you want to win the Frozen Four

I don't give a damn anymore. :huh: Even my wife says "those gophers are playing some DAMN SHARP HOCKEY." :blush: She's right... the rodents will probably pull off another one. I still don't have to like it. :p

Who will I cheer for? Read below... :(

Agreed! The goofs got their national championship last year, here's hoping they have to wait another 20+ years to get another one. I am rooting for Cornell. It would be ok to see an unherlded school win one. The goofs, Michigan, and Wisconsin are 3 teams that I will never root for.

Yes, it was. But two wrongs never made anything right. Why lower ourselves to that level?

I see your stance, Dave K, but I don't consider my lack of cheering for the gophers "lowering to another level." In fact, my gopher loving associates would accuse me of "bandwagoning" if I made the attempt. I refuse to lower myself to that level.

Is U of M a great hockey team? yes

Will they represent the WCHA well? yes

Are they going to be the first team in about 30 years to repeat? yes

Do I hate the gophers? hell yes! :huh: