SiouxSports.com Forum

there are a lot of games left but......

siouxpuckster

I agree, but the Sioux have played three games at home against two teams ranked in the top 10 and are 2-1 against them. It's way too early to sound the "We suck in the REA!" alarm.

It's the crowd's fault; it's dead in there :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One less on the bandwagon...big deal. The Sioux are going to "bounce back" from this sweep and come to play next weekend.

I also disagree with:

They couldn't even sweep a bad Duluth team last year...

Yeah, we were 9th in the WCHA (mostly because of a poor start)...but...it's the WCHA, the strongest conference in NCAA hockey.

One of the goals the team and coaching staff had for this year was to avoid the slow start they have experienced the past few years. One less loss and we all would be smiling and riding high right now. A sweep of Wisconsin will set us all at ease. Personally I feel we cannot afford a split this weekend. We need to take 4 points from or we will be hurting again through the end of the year. I hate fighting right to the end to finish in the top three. Denver looks really good right now and Mn (because of the rivalry) will likely be ready to play when they come to the Ralph. If we end up being a one line team, we're in trouble because no one on this team can replace Toews. We need to maintain balance. Some nights we have it, some nights we don't. If we would have scored on the PP when CC got the shortie, I believe we win. No need to panic.

Anyone know if the WI games are on TV? I'm anxious to see Turris.

One less on the bandwagon...big deal. The Sioux are going to "bounce back" from this sweep and come to play next weekend.

I also disagree with:

Yeah, we were 9th in the WCHA (mostly because of a poor start)...but...it's the WCHA, the strongest conference in NCAA hockey.

I was just gonna write something about that...

I suppose he was talking about the same sucky Bulldog team that almost pulled off the 9 vs 2 upset in the first round of the WCHA playoffs, right? Only an OT win and a 3OT win allowed the Huskies to stumble into the Final Five, which allowed them to stumble into the NCAA's...

img9021396.jpg

"I can't bear to watch the Sioux. This team sucks!"

Now that is funny.

You guys I am not worried yet, the Sioux ran into a hot goaltender, it is what it is. Someone brought up Denver is good but they haven't won anything yet. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they cool down by the end of the year. C.C. is a good team but I think the Sioux are going to be ahead of them by the end of the season. So what if UNH beat the sioux when they come the REA in December, I still bet the Wildcats are bounced out of the NCAA playoffs long before the Sioux. I can't believe we are starting the panic threat as of yet...

It could be worse. Minnesota just canceled the remainder of their schedule. Coach Donny crapsack said their players were still tired from the World Jr.s and the long ride the team made to the Excel Energy Center during last year's Final Five. They are looking forward to a strong 2008. :D

Well, now that Siouxpuckster is off the bandwagon, there should be a empty seat the REA for someone who really cares and can enjoy this team. If you want a team that goes on a tear for the first 3/4 of the season and then dies when it comes to crunch time, I can make a recommendation just down I-94 about 170 miles from Fergus Falls. They seem to be loaded with fans of your attitude and you would fit right in.

This team is still trying to find its style. Obviously the defense has been a little too offensive minded at times resulting in odd-man rushes, but that will be corrected. Guys are still learning their roles and their linemates. I would rather peak late than early.

Now that is funny.

You guys I am not worried yet, the Sioux ran into a hot goaltender, it is what it is. Someone brought up Denver is good but they haven't won anything yet. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they cool down by the end of the year. C.C. is a good team but I think the Sioux are going to be ahead of them by the end of the season. So what if UNH beat the sioux when they come the REA in December, I still bet the Wildcats are bounced out of the NCAA playoffs long before the Sioux. I can't believe we are starting the panic threat as of yet...

actually the games against nh are huge when it comes to the pairwise and seeding come tournament time.

Got real sick real quick of reading this thread. It is plain and simple folks: we lost a game. it happens. no team will go all the way through to the end without losing a few, no matter what. so chill out! we are a good team. chemistry takes a while to form. it's only the 1st month of games. just chill and everything will be alright I promise.

Jeeze man, step back from the ledge..........

lol i hope you weren't talkin to me hah. i was pretty much sayin to everyone else to chill. we are fine. just fine. we lost alot with toews, lee, and porter leaving, but we have lost many good players in the past (Zajac, Stafford, Smaby last year) and have been just fine by the end of the year. That may be the one downside we have, and maybe explains our slow starts. we have so many good players that wehen they leave to pursue their NHL careers, it leaves a nice void. it takes a while for other players to fill that void in the fall, but once they do and things fall into place, everything is clicking and we get close to unstoppable.

Wow.

The team has a learning disability? I could hardly even read the first post between the lack of spelling, grammer, and cohesion.

Yeah, and the comment on Maine being the team to beat at the beginning of last season and not doing anything? Remember that they also lost Bishop for the middle half of the season and, as corrected, still made the Frozen Four.

You think Engelstad was dead on Saturday? You should have been at Mariucci yesterday afternoon.

Someone posted the 19-1-1 record before the New Year in 02-03. All that got them was a spanking at the hands of Ferris State in the first round at Mariucci.

Relax.

this team had better start to pick things up and come to play every game or we will be in the same situation we have been the last three years where we basically have to go unbeaten the second half just to get home ice and fight for a playoff bert. this team has some serious problems as well. It has absolutely no consistent scoring beyond the first line, our second pp unit is horrible they basically waist half the pp going back to the other end to retieve the puck, they have no killer instinct and saturday was a prime example we just dominate a team the previous night and have a chance to sweep them and what happens they come out flat. the way this team looks right now it is no more than a .500 team because it can't sweep anybody and probably won't until aa comes to town in late january but even that is debateable being they given us some problems the last few years. upcoming schedule:

wisconsin-lucky to get a split

umd-split we couldn't even sweep a bad duluth team last year with a better team than we have now

denver-spilit at best as they are probably the best team in the league

minnesota-split because we just don't sweep them at home

new hampshire-split just because we can't get a sweep and they have a really good goalie

scsu-split come out flying one night and flat the next

tech-split they are 3-1 in out last four games and redemtion isn't anything this team get motivated about

msu-mankato-split wierd things happen down there

aa-possibly a sweep, split or 3 points more likely

minnesota-split at best they should be playing much better than now.

denver-split we can't sweep good teams at home

bemidji-split, the beavers will get a win at sometime in this series and with our non killer instinct and lack of leadership this will be the year

duluth-split

scsu-split-which leaves it unknown if we will even get home ice.

This team also has a learinign disability they don't learn from lessons they've recieved for example after the friday tech game they all said this is a learning experience in which we have to come out ready play every night and wow they didn',t on saturday. they said the same thing after satuyrday's loss which means they'll probably come out flat on friday night.

The offense potential on this team is overrated beyond duncan and oshie. we have no one that can step up and contribute when duncan and oshie are shut down which will probably tend to happen more often than not. in the 7 games this team has played in 4 of them they have score 3 goals or less, and 1 or none three of those times. so basically if things don't start to turnaround quickly it could be a wasted season and we'll be left asking ourselves what if?

I apologize if I offended anyone yesterday with some of my off the wall comments about this team and season. They were made out of frustration. I don't think and didn't think that this team would go through the season unbeaten. It's not the fact that they lost either, it was the way they lost that frustrated me. I have very high expectations for this team as do most of those on this message board. If they come out and play their game and lose so be it, I'll just tip my cap to the other team and move on. But that hasn't been the case yet this year in any of our losses or tie, and that is what is most frustrating.

I think it would be nice to get a number one seed and play the likes of an Air Force or Niagra in the first round versus having to go through Michigan or BC, and losses like Saturday won't help us get there.

I apologize if I offended anyone yesterday with some of my off the wall comments about this team and season. They were made out of frustration. I don't think and didn't think that this team would go through the season unbeaten. It's not the fact that they lost either, it was the way they lost that frustrated me. I have very high expectations for this team as do most of those on this message board. If they come out and play their game and lose so be it, I'll just tip my cap to the other team and move on. But that hasn't been the case yet this year in any of our losses or tie, and that is what is most frustrating.

I think it would be nice to get a number one seed and play the likes of an Air Force or Niagra in the first round versus having to go through Michigan or BC, and losses like Saturday won't help us get there.

We dominated every aspect of the game friday night at mich. tech, and we still lost. I don't get what you're trying to say.

A couple of times I've heard or read Hakstol being critical that certain members of the team are not putting forth full efforts.

THAT is what disappoints me about any Sioux team.

Like Siouxpuckster said, I can accept losing when the team works hard and the effort is there, but the other team is just better.

I have a harder time accepting it if the Sioux don't put forth a full effort. From reading Hakstol's comments after Saturday's game, it seems he wasn't very happy with the performance on Saturday.

A couple of times I've heard or read Hakstol being critical that certain members of the team are not putting forth full efforts.

THAT is what disappoints me about any Sioux team.

Like Siouxpuckster said, I can accept losing when the team works hard and the effort is there, but the other team is just better.

I have a harder time accepting it if the Sioux don't put forth a full effort. From reading Hakstol's comments after Saturday's game, it seems he wasn't very happy with the performance on Saturday.

Agreed. Saturday's perfomance was sub-par. Friday night in Houghton was not. That's why saying every game we have lost thus far has been a poor performance is completely false (not talking about you dags, but what siouxpuckster alluded to earlier.)

KEEP THE FAITH

I vividly remember a thread like this last early November where everyone was bashing the Fighting Sioux.

Come on people, a program that plays 43-46 games a year isn't going to be polished each and every night. The years of teams going undefeated are gone forever. With the parity of the WCHA, most MacNaughton Cup winners have 5-10 league losses each year.

Some nights an opponent is just simply better!

CC had the edge because they were beaten badly the night before. Should the Fighting Sioux swept, yea maybe. But the rookie goaltender for CC put on a clinic. In the two WCHA losses, we ran into very hot goaltenders and added emotions w/ the sickness of Jamie Russell's son and the WBC knock-out hit by Oshie on Nate Prosser to rally for CC.

The game of Friday night would have been a nail-biter if not for JPL's incredible in tight saves.

It's all about timing and playing well down the stretch.

You also need to realize most teams we play are 2-3 years older then these kids. Not too many programs bring in true freshmen like UND does. With youth, you will have a learning curve. A curve that simply seems to get better and more confident each and every night.

There are too many "fair weather fans" on this board. Boy we love them when they are winning but jump off the band wagon as soon as we lose a game.

KEEP THE FAITH SIOUX FAITHFUL

What I don't like is how the Ralph Engelstad Arena turns into a morge when the Sioux are trailing in a game. Heck, I had a chance to witness the games at Northeastern and Michigan Tech and those fans cheered even louder when their club was down.

These kids need that atmosphere each and every night here at the Ralph. Heck, it would differ to say that at Boston College and Northeastern the 100+ Sioux fans were more faithful then 11,800 on Saturday night. Shame on you guys who are so brutal on this site. But, low and behold, you will be the first ones in line when Western Regional tix go on sale.

KEEP THE FAITH

I vividly remember a thread like this last early November where everyone was bashing the Fighting Sioux.

Come on people, a program that plays 43-46 games a year isn't going to be polished each and every night. The years of teams going undefeated are gone forever. With the parity of the WCHA, most MacNaughton Cup winners have 5-10 league losses each year.

Some nights an opponent is just simply better!

CC had the edge because they were beaten badly the night before. Should the Fighting Sioux swept, yea maybe. But the rookie goaltender for CC put on a clinic. In the two WCHA losses, we ran into very hot goaltenders and added emotions w/ the sickness of Jamie Russell's son and the WBC knock-out hit by Oshie on Nate Prosser to rally for CC.

The game of Friday night would have been a nail-biter if not for JPL's incredible in tight saves.

It's all about timing and playing well down the stretch.

You also need to realize most teams we play are 2-3 years older then these kids. Not too many programs bring in true freshmen like UND does. With youth, you will have a learning curve. A curve that simply seems to get better and more confident each and every night.

There are too many "fair weather fans" on this board. Boy we love them when they are winning but jump off the band wagon as soon as we lose a game.

KEEP THE FAITH SIOUX FAITHFUL

What I don't like is how the Ralph Engelstad Arena turns into a morge when the Sioux are trailing in a game. Heck, I had a chance to witness the games at Northeastern and Michigan Tech and those fans cheered even louder when their club was down.

These kids need that atmosphere each and every night here at the Ralph. Heck, it would differ to say that at Boston College and Northeastern the 100+ Sioux fans were more faithful then 11,800 on Saturday night. Shame on you guys who are so brutal on this site. But, low and behold, you will be the first ones in line when Western Regional tix go on sale.

Great post, so true.