SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Ferris Game updates and B*******

U2Bad1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've got to agree that this season was better than last, but not by much in the second half. I'm not sure exactly what happened to this team, but after Christmas they just couldn't put it together anymore.

Thanks for the memories to the seniors. This season ended a bit prematurely (at least by one game), IMO.

The only thing worse than a "woofing" gopher fan is the "woofing" that'll be done by non-wcha teams if 3 or more of the wcha's 5 teams lose in this opening round -- so go WCHA! :D:D

On a side note: Didn't Kunitz (from Ferris) alledgedly squirt a fan with a water bottle this year? IF they play UMN tomorrow it could be interesting as DeMarchi was proficient with water bottle squirting this year too.

Nothing like wearing a sioux jersey to work today when i am supposed to wear a suit and tie then having the sioux lose while playing like crud. and if that ain't enough, i wore that same jersey to the local legion club in NW minnesota while the goofers score goal after goal after goal............

I went to the game and I had a pretty different impression than a lot of you. I thought the team played plenty well enough to win, but just didn't. This game fit right into the second part of the season.

This is the best offensive team that can't score goals in the history of NCAA hockey. First period had about five grade A scoring chances by the Sioux, and no goals. Bochenski partial breakaway, Bochenski PP tip just wide, Lundbohm clean breakaway, Prpich in close, McMahon ? in close.

Second period: pipe, quick whistle as the puck goes in, Parise on the doorstep, McMahon on the doorstep.

Third period: two pipes and about ten great chances.

When teams are going good, it seems like they score on accident, but when they're going bad (and I've never seen it go this bad before) it seems like there's nothing they can do to score. This team just couldn't put the puck in the net, despite having many, many chances.

UND fumbled the puck around in their own end a few times, and each time Ferris was good enough to generate a good chance. But it's not like Ferris was able to cycle the puck at all. What they did do was counterattack very well. And when they had a shot at an odd-man rush, it always developed because of their speed. I didn't think FSU was very good, but they were definitely fast. It's the first time this year I've thought the Sioux looked slow; I never thought that against CC or Minnie.

The last five minutes of the second (you know, when FSU had one odd-man rush after another) was terrible, but other than that, I didn't think FSU controlled play at any time for an extended period of time.

Ferris hadn't even been down in the Sioux zone in the third until they scored. I think it may have been David Hale who had some problems down there with the puck, which is understandable given his two-month layoff.

The Sioux fans around me also thought the Sioux were playing pretty well. The reason we had faith at each period break is that we felt the team was playing well enough to come back.

I think one is dreaming if they think Ferris will beat MN. If the Sioux can outshoot Ferris 45-25, so can MN. Except this MN team will bury their chances, which the Sioux just lost the ability to do.

I'll just engage in a little coaching second-guessing. I don't think Blais should have pulled Brandt, who had made some big saves. Josh looked shaky the whole third period. I thought Ryan Hale should have been at forward all game, not just for the third period. It's not fair to expect him to play defense very well when he has hardly ever played the position.

"Moral victory" talk isn't appropriate for NCAA games, especially for a UND team. But I can't agree that the team played terribly or didn't show up or didn't try because that's not what I saw.

Stepping back, I think we've owed the hockey gods and they're making us pay right now. The 1997 title was a year early and completely unexpected. We had to pay for that with two first-round exits the next two years for powerhouse Sioux teams that deserved better. Then 2000 and 2001 were likewise unexpected - 2000 was the year after the Blake class left and things were supposed to be tough. Then the next year was the depth-free year. And they went a lot farther than I thought they possibly could. Well, the great hockey scale is evening out right now, as the goal the Sioux shoot at shrinks and the pipes grow. I hope we've just about paid our debt so we can go back to having a shot.

Disappointing, but certainly not unexpected. Bad luck is not scoring for a game, or even a series. But when you go the entire second half of the season with next to no offense, that means you lack enough skill players to get it done. I think we are still in trouble next year. Obviously, the top line of Murray, Parise, and Bochenski will be dynamite. But after that, it gets pretty thin. And no matter what we would like to believe, we need at least one offensive defenseman to run the power play (someone of the martin or ballard ilk) I know this sounds extremely negative but I think it is a pretty realistic assessment.

for all you Gopher haters out there, I stood and clapped for the UND squad when they scored, I supported the WCHA as best I could, but nothing was better than the UND fan doing the ROUSER with the Gopher fans in the crushing of the Mercy boys...picturers to follow!

WPoS

for all you Gopher haters out there, I stood and clapped for the UND squad when they scored, I supported the WCHA as best I could, but nothing was better than the UND fan doing the ROUSER with the Gopher fans in the crushing of the Mercy boys...picturers to follow!

Within the WCHA, I cheer for anybody against the Gophers. Once it's outside the WCHA, well, I can fight with my brother, but if you fight with my brother you fight with me. I cheered for the Gophers in the NCAA final last year (as difficult as it was to do so.)

What is the ROUSER?

I'm with jk. I thought we played well enough to win the game but didn't.

Ferris made the most of their chances, the Sioux didn't.

I thought the Sioux had pretty good offensive pressure, and did a good job on the forecheck, and working the offensive zone. But couldn't put it in the net. Got close though.

Brandt played well, I thought. Wasn't too close so couldn't scrutinize the goals from my seat......

Ferris is a pretty good team. Obviously they played well enough to win tonite. I thought the Sioux did too. But Ferris got the goals. That's what sucks. I think the Sioux can beat Ferris.

Like someone said, McMahon and Prpich had great games. I think Prpich was the best Sioux player today.

We need a bit more speed, and a bit more skill.

I'm glad I was there for Spiewak and Notermann's last game. Sad, but I'm glad I was there at the end to tip my cap to them.

Thanks to Chris, Jason and Kevin. Great memories.....

WPoS

What a Liar. When the Game was over you were waving goodbye and yelling at them. You were not even there for the whole game

bertibm, actually not a liar, I stood and clapped for EVERY goal I saw, I have back up on that, I never said I cheered for them to really win, after all I got there in the third and it was pretty much over, but I was still there to see some good hockey. We even stood and clapped when UND's band played, I really did want UND to win so we could end their season, not some smuck team from the east end of the country, so how does that make me a liar? Plus not being there for the whole game means absolutly nothing, all I said was I stood and cheered for the WCHA team's scoring (that would be showing support BTW), who wouldn't wave good bye to a team that just lost?!?...now be quiet and don't give these guys any more ammo!

WPoS

The thing is now that the Gophers are a more rested team than Ferris. Hell the gophers barely played their top 2 lines in the 3rd period last night. Should be a good game though.

I am one of those people that if a team beats my team (ie Ferris over the Sioux) I want to see that team go all the way. I think maybe it lets me rationalize the fact that we didn't loose in vain. I think in a way it feels better to loose to a team that has success than one that gets creamed in the next round.

In other words I hope Ferris State purees the Gophers... Even though it will be an ugly game. Two teams both wearing Brown and Yellow.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeew