SiouxSports.com Forum

The number 1 team in North Dakota

sultan

I saw on sports tonight on KBRR that their sports guy officially said that NDSU football is now the number 1 sports team in North Dakota over UND Hockey. He said the hockey team only gets a state wide following a week or two in March. It took 50 years to get the following that Sioux hockey has. I don't think a win over one of the worst college football teams in DI is enough to replace UND Hockey as the number 1 team. Apparently Heinle hasn't been to the Frozen Four the last 3 years.

I'm a Bison Football fan. I understand your frustration with a media person saying what they did on KBRR. That was a stupid thing to say.

The two programs can't be compared.

Here's my opinion:

As North Dakotans, we only have so many people & only so much revenue to support big-time programs. I think that all North Dakotans should support Sioux Hockey. There's a long tradition of excellence, with the expected cycle of peaks and valleys, in any quality program. It is UND's flagship program. UND has other quality programs too, like women's basketball and football. The men's basketball team has had periods of dominance.

NDSU's flagship program has been its football program. Other sports that have had long-term success are wrestling, women's basketball, cross country, & track. SU men's basketball has been surging. It's going to be fun to see them compete in the Summit league.

By 'flagship program,' I mean that it's the sport that each university chooses to promote the most. It is 'chosen' by each university and its fans.

I am REALLY tired of the debates, the arguments, and the fighting. I'm even more tired of the hatred that has grown over the past 5 or 6 years.

Nationwide, football is bigger in terms of the number of fans that watch football...but that doesn't make hockey any less important. Hockey has a smaller following nationwide, but it's still a great sport, and its followers are very, very dedicated. Neither is better.

I grew up in a small town between Grand Forks and Fargo. Basketball was the big sport. As a kid, I was vaguely aware of hockey in Grand Forks. But I listened to Phil Jackson and that great team play on the radio many times, and cheered for them many times. They were my university basketball team. On the same token, I became aware of something special happening in football at NDSU in the mid 60s because my sister went there. Went to a few games, and I was hooked. When the great UND men's basketball team in the 90s (Guldseth, etc) was rolling, I attended many of those games. I went to several NDSU women's basketball games when they were at their peak. I like watching 'quality' sports. I have supported both universities.

I've never been able to warm up to hockey, especially at the Frozen Four. (joke)

I don't want NDSU to have a DI hockey program. I think that the state should support UND hockey. UND's tradition in hockey deserves as much recognition as Bison Football.

The Sagarin rankings list 242 football teams in the FBS and FCS. Not sure how many D2, NAIA, or DIII teams there are. There have to be hundreds.

Not sure how many DI hockey programs there have been in the past...or now. There would be a big difference.

But that doesn't make football more important. But there has, and remains to be, been more schools to compete against in football.

UND got into hockey from the ground level, and found its way into DI hockey through hard work. But it also got there because there weren't many programs. It formed a conference with teams like Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, etc. out of necessity. It's still a great thing though.

Getting to a true DI (FBS) level in football is a completely different thing.

That's why the comparison is irrelevant.

I'm willing to give UND great credit for its achievements in all sports...including your current high caliber football team.

How many Sioux fans are willing to give NDSU some credit? Seriously

Yes...we beat a weak Big Ten football team last Saturday...but in the eyes of Bison fans, it was still huge, and a lot of fun. 30,000 NDSU fans at the baggie was a 'big' deal. Frankly, the wins over Central Michigan and Ball State were against better teams. Ball State was the team that took Michigan to the final seconds last year. They also nearly clipped Nebraska this year...41-40.

NDSU has taken its hits in the media too. I understand the emotions. Announcers can be really stupid sometimes. That was a stupid thing for the guy to say. It's irrelevant. Both programs are huge right now. Can't be compared.

Until the hatred that has developed in the last 5 or 6 years quiets down, I'm not ready to support a return to competition between the two schools. I've lived long enough to see each school go through their cycles of dominance in football. My attitude isn't about who would win right now...or who won in the past.

This hatred began through some action taken from leaders at the schools. Where did it begin? I'm refering to the current state of non-competition. Where did it 'really' begin? This is a question that deserves to be answered.

Someone has to admit it...and then adults have to start acting like adults.

That...is the day when I will support a return to competition.

Until then...it's a big 'whatever.'

I apologize to Sioux fans that were offended by this idiot's comments.

Bison football fans are extremely proud of the tradition. The championships 'are' meaningful.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's put it this way. The Gopher football team could very well the worst team that Minnesota has put on the field in the history of the University. I would assume that Minnesota will be improving the quality of their team in the future. If that were to happen NDSU would more than likely be losing by 30 or more points in the future when they play. If UND plays them in football down the road when we build up our scholarships we would probably have a similar outcome. Whereas UND will always be playing Minnesota competitively in hockey and beating them often. That is the main difference between the two scenerios..

I worked with a guy from Montana who is a big hockey fan. He said his famly and friends followed the Sioux hockey team out there bigtime since it was the only DI school around them. He knew lots about UND history, and he followed them way before the internet made it so easy. Why do we have to compare the two programs anyway? Apples and oranges. Nationally, the Bison win was seen as nothing more than one of the "little guys" beating a horrible UMN team. When the Sioux hockey team wins playoff games, etc, it is seen as a national power dominating yet again. We get our little clips on Sportscenter around playoff time also. Again, I am glad the Bison won, it is good for the state of ND...but don't get too excited yet.

The Sioux vs bc was "the game of the week" on CSTV for collge hockey last week (although the game was a bust due to !@#!$ conditions.) Until I see the ndsu bison vs. (insert name of big time collge football program here) as the game of the week on national tv, I simply won't buy into this bull$%!# about which program is #1. (I say this realizing that football in general is a sport with a much bigger fan base.)

football is football and hockey is hockey. d-1 hockey and d-1aa football get the same exposure, both playoffs are played on espn 2 and both get same exposure from the media. 1-AA games are played on espn U/game plan every week where hockey is only on espn when the frozen four comes around. But 1-AA football gets more exposure nationally then D-1 hockey, but I would say UND Hockey is more well known nationally then NDSU football, but it is vastly changing. But I would make the argument NDSU football is bigger in ND. Just look at attendance/revenue.

football is football and hockey is hockey. d-1 hockey and d-1aa football get the same exposure, both playoffs are played on espn 2 and both get same exposure from the media. 1-AA games are played on espn U/game plan every week where hockey is only on espn when the frozen four comes around. But 1-AA football gets more exposure then D-1 hockey but I would say UND Hockey is more well known nationally then NDSU football, but it is vastly changing. But I would make the argument NDSU football is bigger in ND. Just look at attendance/revenue.

UND puts a lot more butts in the seats for hockey every year than NDSU does for football at the Fargodome. I beleive the average ticket price for hockey is a lot higher than the average ticket price for a football game at NDSU. Therefore revenues are higher. Did you misspeak and mean UND when you talked about attendance/revenue and said NDSU by mistake.

UND puts a lot more butts in the seats for hockey every year than NDSU does for football at the Fargodome. I beleive the average ticket price for hockey is a lot higher than the average ticket price for a football game at NDSU. Therefore revenues are higher. Did you misspeak and mean UND when you talked about attendance/revenue and said NDSU by mistake.

NDSU has a higher average. NDSU football doesn't play 30 games a season and ticket sales aren't everything when it comes to revenue. Also, when has UND taken 30,000 fans to an away game or home game for that matter? Never.

That game was on the Big Ten Network (the whole ten people that get it) and against one of the worst programs in Divison 1-A football. Counting the final five, our hockey team gets six games a year on FSN North, the regionals get two games a year on ESPNU, and if we get to the Frozen Four we get on ESPN2. Although I supported both schools moving division 1, UND hockey will always be the top sport.

I had a different game on the big ten network down here. I had the wisconsin game.

Correct me if I am wrong as I have not lived in ND for a year and a half, but does NDSU have a TV network specifically set up to broadcast all home and some away games? I don't remember EVER watching Bison FB in GF unless it was picked up by KVLY. UND hockey IS shown in Fargo. There is so much demand for UND hockey across the state, and nation for that matter, that a specific TV network was put into place. I am eternally great full for that fact as I am able to watch nearly EVERY hockey game from the comfort of my apartment in MPLS. I wasn't even able to watch the Bison/Gophers game on TV and I live 10 blocks from the dome!

football is football and hockey is hockey. d-1 hockey and d-1aa football get the same exposure, both playoffs are played on espn 2 and both get same exposure from the media. 1-AA games are played on espn U/game plan every week where hockey is only on espn when the frozen four comes around. But 1-AA football gets more exposure nationally then D-1 hockey, but I would say UND Hockey is more well known nationally then NDSU football, but it is vastly changing. But I would make the argument NDSU football is bigger in ND. Just look at attendance/revenue.[/b

The problem with your argument is that you are basing your findings on NDSU FB this year. A few years ago, you couldn't give away NDSU FB tickets. UND hockey is near capacity in attendance year after year and it has been that way for decades. UND hockey is a mainstay atop the national rankings year in and year out. If NDSU FB goes below .500 overall and/or in the Gateawy, they'll change the slogan from "Will you be there?" to "Will you please come?"!

I saw on sports tonight on KBRR that their sports guy officially said that NDSU football is now the number 1 sports team in North Dakota over UND Hockey.

The fact that this was even said reeks of insecurity and small genitals syndrome. What a waste of air time.

Hakstol should write a letter to KBRR, thanking them for taking the "ND popularity target" of his team's back. :crazy:

NDSU has a higher average. NDSU football doesn't play 30 games a season and ticket sales aren't everything when it comes to revenue. Also, when has UND taken 30,000 fans to an away game or home game for that matter? Never.

We will see. How many people were traveling with the Bison in 2003? Other than parents, none. How many people will travel out to Cal Poly to see that game? Not many. It was because you played Minnesota in a novelty game in your 4th year of transition. We have 4 years to get to that level.

And after the NCAA and UND come to an agreement on the name issue, we will be playing Minnesota or Wisconsin 3-4 years from now! :crazy:

Exactly--never. Just like NDSU!! If you think there were 30,000 Bison fans at the Dome, you are also the one who is telling his buddies the final score was 40-0!!

The best thing to say is that the media in Fargo are trying to make Bison football the fan favorite around the area. It seems like they have led in their sportscasts with Bison football against the gophers since right after the win against Mississippi Valley State. I realize that part of it is they are located in Fargo, but it shows how starved they are to take on big names. After the Sioux football team beat Northern Iowa, who are far better than the gophers as well, WDAZ in Grand Forks led with the story for 2 days at most, and it disappeared after that. I'm sure we can expect to see the Fargo stations begin the hype for the basketball game against Florida any day now. It is nice to be playing those teams, but act like you've been there before and it would add a whole lot more creditability to NDSU's status as big-timer's.

I have no problem with NDSU fans being excited and giddy about playing and beating high-profile teams, because I would be happy to see the Sioux play and beat the same teams in sports other than hockey. My problem is with the media, trying to turn what is good for North Dakota in general into a popularity contest. Their agenda should be giving us great sports coverage, and letting fans discuss stuff like that on their own.

When you guys get jealous it's not pretty! :huh:

There is no jealousy troll. You don't see Sioux fans inundating a Bison message board, to the extent one even exists. We just cannot believe how simple-minded, self-important and delusional Bison fans are. :crazy: What you can't accept is that most Sioux fans really don't find your football team very relevant and neither does most of the rest of the country.

Fifth-grade math on a napkin will tell you that UND hockey is the bigger operation measured by revenue. I realize you cashed a nice little check after the Gopher game, but UND hockey makes that in about one game.

The way I see it is that Sioux hockey is still the biggest North Dakota sport in the region, the state, and the country. But NDSU football (and even basketball) is closing the gap much faster than any of us would like to acknowledge. I would not concede that UND hockey has peaked, but I agree that NDSU football and basketball has more room to get bigger. UND can not afford to rest on its laurels and needs the same kind of vision and leadership that NDSU currently enjoys. NDSU's ambitions are nowhere near over. UND can sit around and complain about it (like Kupchella seems to often do), or it can get dirty and compete. The status quo is unacceptable in my opinion.

UND hockey is in the top division of hockey and competes for a national championship pretty much every year, has been in the last three Frozen Fours, is routinely second in the nation in attendance, etc. It's not readily easy to get "bigger" at this point. I guess finally winning #8 would help, but the point is that UND is pretty much at the top of the college hockey world with only a couple equals.

How does UND hockey continue to grow despite being on top of the college hockey world? The way I see it, there is only two ways for UND hockey to get "bigger". One would be for college hockey in general to get bigger. But in recent years, college hockey has been losing teams, not growing. And thanks to Title IX, I don't see college hockey growing anytime soon.

The other way to grow UND hockey, and UND sports in general, would be to improve upon FSSN. This is actually attainable and goals for growth should be set. FSSN televising road hockey games and all home football games should be a short-term goal. It may not profitable to do so (yet), so this is where leadership and long-term vision come in to play. Televising away football games should be a medium-range goal. Adding more markets and exposure should be a continual goal. Long term goals should be filling dead-air with past games and features, obtaining access to the Twin Cities cable market (obviously on an expanded pay-for sports-tier, but available nonetheless), and becoming available for purchase through satellite (DirecTV and Dish Network).

Good grief. Why don't you all grow up. Act like grown men and women. Both NDSU Football and UND Hockey are big deals in this state. To try to say one is bigger than the other is a bit of comparing apples to oranges. I'm sick of the prejudices that misguide the logical thought processes from both the UND and the NDSU camps. Its sad. Why can't you just let them be what they are rather than constantly trying the belittle one to raise the other up. I will say that I personally think NDSU football is a bigger deal just because football is a sport more heavily sponsored by all schools and divisions. That's just my opinion though. I respect people may disagree with that, but I don't respect the constant need to bicker over who's bigger. Who's better....Let them both be what they are. Arguing over them does nothing but make us all look like a bunch of immature idiots.

Good grief. Why don't you all grow up. Act like grown men and women. Both NDSU Football and UND Hockey are big deals in this state. To try to say one is bigger than the other is a bit of comparing apples to oranges. I'm sick of the prejudices that misguide the logical thought processes from both the UND and the NDSU camps. Its sad. Why can't you just let them be what they are rather than constantly trying the belittle one to raise the other up. I will say that I personally think NDSU football is a bigger deal just because football is a sport more heavily sponsored by all schools and divisions. That's just my opinion though. I respect people may disagree with that, but I don't respect the constant need to bicker over who's bigger. Who's better....Let them both be what they are. Arguing over them does nothing but make us all look like a bunch of immature idiots.

Go play in traffic. Is that immature enough for you?

We will see. How many people were traveling with the Bison in 2003? Other than parents, none. How many people will travel out to Cal Poly to see that game? Not many. It was because you played Minnesota in a novelty game in your 4th year of transition. We have 4 years to get to that level.

And after the NCAA and UND come to an agreement on the name issue, we will be playing Minnesota or Wisconsin 3-4 years from now! :crazy:

I was talking about UND Hockey not football smart guy.

You don't want the bickering to continue, but you threw in your two cents that NDSU football is more popular. Interesting... :crazy: