SiouxSports.com Forum

Bison win

superdupersioux

I was at the game and it was a tremendous atmosphere. Very electric from the Bison perspective! NDSU played a good game and deserved the W.

But, I do feel that this game showed the difference between the Big 10 and FCS teams. The game was not a blowout except for the stats. Minnesota kept this Bison fan holding his breath.....and Minnesota is by far the worst in the Big 10. There is a huge difference between the Big 10 and the FCS!

But.....I am one very happy Bison fan. Thanks for the kind remarks Sioux Fans.

I agree with your assessment. The Bison are a very good D1AA team [nka FSC], and have proven they can beat some of the lower to middle D1A teams. However, it is not realistic to suggest that they could compete in the Big 10. I am not trying to minimize this win because the Bison deserve credit, but this may be the worst Gophers football team since the Joe Salem days. I do believe that the Bison could transition to D1 and be competitive, but competing with the majority of the Big 10 would be very difficult. Yes, I know that Michigan was beaten by Appalachian State, and there will always be upsets, but this post is a fair assessment.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think there's that big of gulf between the BIG 10 and NDSU this year. If we had 5 big time skill people on team the Bison would challenge alot of FBC teams. Nice to see that you think it's going to be so easy for UND to transition to DI (We do make it look easy).

Why so reluctant to put UND on the schedule?

I don't really think there's that big of gulf between the BIG 10 and NDSU this year. If we had 5 big time skill people on team the Bison would challenge alot of FBC teams. Nice to see that you think it's going to be so easy for UND to transition to DI (We do make it look easy).

On the first point, you need to take off the green and gold glasses because you are dreaming. On the second point, no one said it would be easy, but are you forgetting that UND beat UNI last year on the road (the current FCS No.1 and a perennial power that has beaten Iowa State in its recent past) and destroyed Southern Utah this year on the road? FCS or D1AA is the equivalent of D2 15 years ago and there is very little difference between the top 10 in D1AA and the top 10 in D2. There is also little difference between the weak D1 teams and the top teams in D1AA and D2. However, there is a huge difference between even the weakest teams in the Big 10 (Minnesota and Northwestern) and everyone else. That will become readily apparent when the Gophers play Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State and even Illinois or Indiana.

From a historical standpoint, there is no way to minimize this win. UND has played Minnesota in football 20 times from 1898 through 1974 and lost all 20 games. UND is 0-4 against other Big Ten schools. After briefly checking the history books (someone correct me if I'm wrong) this is only the fourth time in history a current or former NCC team has beaten a Big Ten team in football and the first since South Dakota State beat Wisconsin in 1935. I don't care how down Minnesota is this year, this was a huge win.

UND will not automatically enjoy the same success in its transition just because UND is better than NDSU was in its last year of DII. I expect UND to have a relatively successful transition, but does anyone honestly think it's reasonable to assume that UND will be the best team in FCS and beating BCS conference teams in its fourth year? Let's face it, NDSU's transition has been nothing short of remarkable.

I think this quote from Bohl from the Strib sums it up nicely:

"This didn't happen by chance," said Bohl, who interviewed for the job Brewster got. "This was no fluke. This is the result of a predetermined plan started five years ago, thanks to our president and our athletic director and our administration.

From a historical standpoint, there is no way to minimize this win. UND has played Minnesota in football 20 times from 1898 through 1974 and lost all 20 games. UND is 0-4 against other Big Ten schools. After briefly checking the history books (someone correct me if I'm wrong) this is only the fourth time in history a current or former NCC team has beaten a Big Ten team in football and the first since South Dakota State beat Wisconsin in 1935. I don't care how down Minnesota is this year, this was a huge win.

UND will not automatically enjoy the same success in its transition just because UND is better than NDSU was in its last year of DII. I expect UND to have a relatively successful transition, but does anyone honestly think it's reasonable to assume that UND will be the best team in FCS and beating BCS conference teams in its fourth year? Let's face it, NDSU's transition has been nothing short of remarkable.

I think this quote from Bohl from the Strib sums it up nicely:

Excellent point. (also, a good article from the strib..)

For the most part, North Dakotans rallied behind the Bison before this victory over the Gophers. I think the best thing about this win was the 30,000 folks cheering the Bison at the Metrodome. It makes my heart glow.

But, it glows Kelly green and white...with a bit of pink thrown in... :)

If you would like to show your support for North Dakota native Tyler Roehl and vote for him as college football player of the week on USAtoday you can do so here:

<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...-the-week_N.htm" target="_blank">http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...-the-week_N.htm</a>

He definetly deserves the honor. Tyler Roehl could be playing on Sundays in the near future. Congrats to the Bison on your well deserved win over the Gophers.

Next Year Craig Bohl will be part of the discussion for the Head Coaching job at the University of Nebraska. IMHO

Keep an eye on Colorado State. Lubick is rumored to be retiring, and the salary slot, at a half million, makes sense for everybody. And Fort Collins is just as close to Lincoln as Fargo is. Miles' presence won't hurt, either.

Keep an eye on Colorado State. Lubick is rumored to be retiring, and the salary slot, at a half million, makes sense for everybody. And Fort Collins is just as close to Lincoln as Fargo is. Miles' presence won't hurt, either.

When talking to Coach Bohl this summer, (Bison Open at GFCC) I personally think he will stay at NDSU and compete for that 1st FCS (1AA) National Title for the Bison, But after that who knows he has done a outstanding job to date. He will be asked to interview IMHO for a few jobs next year, but I think he will complete the transition.

I'm not aware of any other Big 10 wins, although Northern Iowa has several wins over Big 12 teams over the past 20 years, including multiple wins over Iowa State and Kansas State.

I think it will be very difficult for UND to reach a number one ranking within the first four years of the transition as NDSU has done, although a top 10 ranking is quite possible IMO. Even if one were to take NDSU's success out of the equation, SDSU's success has probably been greater than or equal to what they typically did in the NCC, and that would certainly seem to bode well for UND. If UND is not a top-10 program in FCS within three or four years, I'll be pretty surprised.

Congratulations to the Bison. It is unfortunate that the arbitrary NCAA restrictions will not allow them into the Playoffs this year. They are deserving of such a chance, and may not be as strong when Steve Walker graduates.

As to Coach Bohl, I have no idea if he might leave. I do think it is fair to say he will have opportunity to do so after this year, especially if they run the table. I have met him too, and he seems very intelligent and deliberate. There are D-I jobs not worth taking because they are doomed to failure, and I think he would pass on those.

Even though Nebraska is a long shot, it's not out of the question due to his relationship with Tom Osborne. If he does leave, I'm sure it will be to a place where the chips are lined up to succeed.

As to UND's transition, it will not be easy, NDSU has the jump, and that is especially true in recruiting, now that they will be Playoff eligible next year. Add their impressive past two seasons and the Sioux will struggle to recruit head to head with the Bison, at least in the short term. UND does have Coach Lennon, who is a straight shooter, that kids seem to enjoy and play hard for. I appreciate Coach Lennon, the man and the coach. He has been great for the Sioux football program. Having said that, he is not as good at either recruiting or game day coaching as Coach Bohl has proven to be. He will have to get better in both areas, both personally and as a staff.

It will be an uphill battle for four more years, but let's go Sioux, and get it done! Next on the agenda, let's get that Nickel Trophy game back on both school's schedules, at least by the end of UND's transition. The players, fans and North Dakota citizens deserve it.

Next Year Craig Bohl will be part of the discussion for the Head Coaching job at the University of Nebraska. IMHO

Bohl has earned, and might have a shot at, the Nebraska job. He would leave in a minute if given the opportunity. He is not in Fargo for the long haul and has earned, and will receive, a chance to coach elsewhere. It isn't a question of if he will leave, but when. This year will be his best opportunity baring an upset loss to someone on the schedule and that is not be likely.

The AC win over the Gophers is big no matter how bad the Gophers are this year. They should have won last year. If UND were healthy, I think they would also do well. This may be the last chance to beat them because Brewster is already having a lot of success with his recruiting and the Mn. HS coaches want to see him do well. One of the downsides to the win is Mn and other Big 10 schools may start looking closer at talent in NDak and that would hurt both schools.

UND will do well in D1AA because just like the AC because they are committed to the transition. The disadvantage is the AC will be playoff eligible and this season's success will go a long way and they wil market it very well. . UND still has the academic advantage and Lennon and his staff do a great job. Bohl will leave soon if not this year. That is to their disadvantage.

"I appreciate Coach Lennon, the man and the coach. He has been great for the Sioux football program. Having said that, he is not as good at either recruiting or game day coaching as Coach Bohl has proven to be. He will have to get better in both areas, both personally and as a staff."

Is this quote serious?

Let's face it, the bison barely beat a bottom feeder of the Big Ten. This may be the worst Gopher football team of all time and will be lucky to finish out of last place. So if the Gophs are a horrible football team and the bison have to hang on to barely pull out a win what does it make them. Now if ndsu had dominated Saturday's game I might pay attention to their delusional outbursts!

DG

Siouxman68 - You might want to pay attention to the delusional outburts. NDSU dominated the Gophers for the second year in a row. True, the Gophers are a bad defensive football team but their offensive is not that bad. They have the #18 ranked offense in the nation which is pretty good. They averaged 450 yards per game but the Bison defense held them to 300 yards and 125 were on the ground. NDSU gained 585 yards against the Gophers and I kn ow they are bad on defense but it is still a statement. Also, lets not forget that NDSU had 20 less scholarships than The Gophers and they still beat them ON the road.

Probably the WORST TEAM EVER in the big 10 but okay - I'm giving you props! what's the problem? IDK(sic) you want to compare scores...I'd think ndsu hosting suu should result in at least TWICE the points UND piled on them on their homefield (after all - we're climbing the HUGE ladder to FCS!!) So next weeks results (especially after this weeks big10 win should be...)

ndsu - 74

suu - 20

(anything else would be open to debate! :D )

That's not really fair though because it's a division game and we've played them every year. Division games are always closer. WIth that being said, we should beat SUU by 50 points.

I wish Sioux fans would take enormous pride in beating a 1-7 team. NDSU beating the Gophs is akin to the Sioux beating Southern Utah. The Bison won against a team that they are better than. Period.

Yeah if that's the case than where were the Sportscenter highlights of the Sioux beating Southern Utah in front of 3,000 people. Seriously man - that's the worst comparision ever.

SUU has never won a confernce game in 3 years and have been a bottom feeder since day one.

Minneota has gone to 5 straight bowl games. Yeah their record sucks but we're talking about a team that has one of the top offenses in all of College Football. While their record was 1-6 going into the game, they lost 3 games by a total of 5 points (2 in OT) and easily could have been 4-3 coming into the game. They played Purdue and Northwestern competitively. Bottom line is they are Big Ten and play teams with 90 scholorships every week.

Honestly I think UND would be competitive against the Gophers too and that's a compliement.

Ask yourself this. Rewind back to 2002. The Bision were coming off a 3 win season. The Gophers were on the rise and were coming off the 2nd of 5 Bowl games. If I were had told you that 4 years later NDSU would almost beat the Gophers and in 5 years they would dominate them.... who would have thought I had been smoking crack?? This is a huge accomplishment no matter how bad the Gophers are.

I hope you guys get your shot because you will need it to keep your spirits up not going ot the playoffs.

I agree with your assessment. The Bison are a very good D1AA team [nka FSC], and have proven they can beat some of the lower to middle D1A teams. However, it is not realistic to suggest that they could compete in the Big 10. I am not trying to minimize this win because the Bison deserve credit, but this may be the worst Gophers football team since the Joe Salem days. I do believe that the Bison could transition to D1 and be competitive, but competing with the majority of the Big 10 would be very difficult. Yes, I know that Michigan was beaten by Appalachian State, and there will always be upsets, but this post is a fair assessment.

Difference between the Michigan/Appalaichan matchup and the Bison/Gopher matchup is that if the teams played 10 more times, Michigan would probably win all 10 as that game was a true upset in every sense of the word...if the Bison and Gophers played 10 more times, the Bison win at least 7, the upset would have been them losing to the Gophers. I was alot more impressed with their victory over Central Michigan who while not in the "Big Ten" is a better squad then this pathetic Gopher team.

Siouxman68 - You might want to pay attention to the delusional outburts. NDSU dominated the Gophers for the second year in a row. True, the Gophers are a bad defensive football team but their offensive is not that bad. They have the #18 ranked offense in the nation which is pretty good. They averaged 450 yards per game but the Bison defense held them to 300 yards and 125 were on the ground. NDSU gained 585 yards against the Gophers and I kn ow they are bad on defense but it is still a statement. Also, lets not forget that NDSU had 20 less scholarships than The Gophers and they still beat them ON the road.

True. The Gophers while being 1-7 have so far played a cup-cake schedule which makes their offensive statistics less impressive and their defensive numbers astonishing. they have earned the right to be called the worst defense in Division 1.

Telling everybody I can that every Gopher fan I ran into, before and after the game, was fantastic. The game was like an extended family reunion. Their players also were just as well-spoken this year as they were last year.

Gotta like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

did the espn guys say "they're moving up to division I next year TWICE??" THANKS for the props ESPN!! :):huh::huh:

"NDSU dominated the Gophers for the second year in a row." What have you been smoking. They lost last year and had to depend on a blocked punt to eke out a 27-21 win. When I say dominate I mean on the scoreboard. A 35-7 bison win would have impressed me, the 27-21 win, not so much.

DG