SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU and UND

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Guess there aren't enough threads concerning the Bison on here yet. lol

Nope, thats why it is a rivalry!!! GO Fighting Sioux!!! I so want the game to be played again.

But realistically, I think it would be a good game. It is a rivalry game, so that right there would even it up. And the Sioux are also a very good team. But the Bison may have a bit more depth. I would guess it would depend on how well the Sioux defense would play. If the defense is great, the Sioux's offense may be just to good and fast for the Bison. In all honesty though, I do not really know who would win.

Actually, there's one... And it's about the Gophers and the Bison...

I just want people's thoughts on how they think we would fare against NDSU if we played them this year...

That thread actually contains a lot of discussion about how people think UND and NDSU would match up, starting on about page 2 and ending when (as all NDSU threads seem to) it drifts off to UND hockey. :huh:

If the Bison didn't turn it over they could possibly stay with us.

I can't remember the last time we lost to the Bison, but we'll see how it goes this weekend during the exhibition game. They typically have players that are a little bit older but not as skilled as most of our players.

I saw on a different thread that the Bison are also playing the Gophers. I didn't think the Gophers typically played Canadian teams. Are they playing them up in Manitoba or in Minneapolis? :huh:

I asked this on another thread a while back and didn't get a reply(I think it got lost in the train wreck the thread became).

What offense/defense do the Sioux use? The Bison use a run-heavy West Coast offense and a 4-3 Tampa 2 defense. We've faced three teams using the new spread offense(SFA,SHSU,CMU) and it really gave us fits. The thought of Appalachian State led by Armanti Edwards would give me nightmares if I was Willie Mack Garza(Bison DC). I think those three games will really help us against the Gophers, who also run the spread.

I asked this on another thread a while back and didn't get a reply(I think it got lost in the train wreck the thread became).

What offense/defense do the Sioux use? The Bison use a run-heavy West Coast offense and a 4-3 Tampa 2 defense. We've faced three teams using the new spread offense(SFA,SHSU,CMU) and it really gave us fits. The thought of Appalachian State led by Armanti Edwards would give me nightmares if I was Willie Mack Garza(Bison DC). I think those three games will really help us against the Gophers, who also run the spread.

One thing you'll never see from the Sioux offense is the Trap. With guys like Duncan and Oshie it's pretty much a run and gun offense. Defensively, you have guys who can put up quite a few points also. Chorney, Bina and Genoway will put up quite a few points this year and then you have Finley who will keep everyone honest in front of the net.

I'm not sure we've seen this West Coast offense and the 4-3 Tampa 2 defense that you say Manitoba uses, but I'm sure the coaches have probably called Matt Smaby down in Tampa Bay to see how it's working out for the Lightening. :huh:

I will give the Bison fans that they are a good team. They do have a very good team in DIAA. But the bottom line is they certainly aren't any better than the Sioux , and might very well not be as good as us. But I guess Bison fans won't know whether they are since they are afraid to play us. That is their problem not ours. Next year we get 63 scholarships. I can't wait. Just think what Dale can do with that. They have 27 more scholarships than we do know and were still just as good or better than them.

Offensively, they run a 50-50 run-pass offense. The passing portion is a vertical-style game and in no way resembles the West Coast offense. Lots of post patterns, flag routes, and quick outs. The strength of the offense is the O-line which is equally adept at pass protection and run blocking. They open big holes for a shifty and fast RB who reacts to defenders and makes amazing cuts.

Defensively, UND runs the 3-4 and is geared to stopping the run, and neutralizing the short passing game. They have fast athletic linebackers that are more suited to run containment and pass defense than rushing the QB. The secondary largely plays a man-on-man scheme rather than zone.

I won't speculate on who would win if we played this year, but my personal opinons on the two teams are as follows:

NDSU has a much better defense than UND.

UND has a much better offense than NDSU.

UND has better players at every skill-position than NDSU, except punter.

Offensively, they run a 50-50 run-pass offense. The passing portion is a vertical-style game and in no way resembles the West Coast offense. Lots of post patterns, flag routes, and quick outs. The strength of the offense is the O-line which is equally adept at pass protection and run blocking. They open big holes for a shifty and fast RB who reacts to defenders and makes amazing cuts.

Defensively, UND runs the 3-4 and is geared to stopping the run, and neutralizing the short passing game. They have fast athletic linebackers that are more suited to run containment and pass defense than rushing the QB. The secondary largely plays a man-on-man scheme rather than zone.

I won't speculate on who would win if we played this year, but my personal opinons on the two teams are as follows:

Thanks. I may disagree with your opinions :huh: , but that was exactly what I was looking for.

UND's offense is much better based on what? You do realize NDSU is putting up about 40 points and 450 yards a game, against DI teams? Not Humboldt State or Augie.

I will give credit to UND in that Dressler, and Chappel are awesome talents and would love either of them at SU, but top to bottom the Bison are the better team.

This is how I see it breaking down.

QB- NDSU

RB- even( Chappel is the best talent wise but Bison depth is awesome)

WR-UND

OL-NDSU

DL- NDSU

LB-NDSU

DB-UND(not really sure but this seems to always be our weakness) K/P return-even(I know you may jump on me for this but Shamen and Dressler are about the same)

K-even ( I really don't know much about the kicker for UND Bibeau is pretty accurate)

P- NDSU (Drago NFL bound!!)

This is how I see it on paper, but in a Bison/Sioux game this can all go out the window. I would say NDSU by 10 but if the Bison don't come to play the Sioux definately could beat us. I do think that a late season game would favor the Bison, this is were the difference between the depth of the teams would be most evedent.

They're good, but not as good as they think they are. If the two teams were to play it would be anybody's ballgame. If they played 10 times I would expect them to each win 5. But the fact of the matter is they aren't on our schedule and we shouldn't even waste our breath talking about them. They're insignificant to the status of our football team. Until they conjure up the courage to play us again we shouldn't give them the attention they so desperately crave.

A) The Bison are as good as they think they are, probably even better. B) If the two teams played 10 times, UND would be lucky to win twice. C) The teams aren't on each other's schedule... D) The Bison aren't insignificant to the Fighting Sioux FB team...one word: Recruitment. E) Cowardliness has nothing to do with the Bison not scheduling UND in FB. You know that, I know that, and so does everyone else on this board. Lucky for you, the Bison and Sioux don't play this year, or you'd be eating your words yet AGAIN.

Go Sioux Hockey!