SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU and UND

Sioux_Yeah_Yeah

They're good, but not as good as they think they are. If the two teams were to play it would be anybody's ballgame. If they played 10 times I would expect them to each win 5. But the fact of the matter is they aren't on our schedule and we shouldn't even waste our breath talking about them. They're insignificant to the status of our football team. Until they conjure up the courage to play us again we shouldn't give them the attention they so desperately crave.

:huh:;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offensively, they run a 50-50 run-pass offense. The passing portion is a vertical-style game and in no way resembles the West Coast offense. Lots of post patterns, flag routes, and quick outs. The strength of the offense is the O-line which is equally adept at pass protection and run blocking. They open big holes for a shifty and fast RB who reacts to defenders and makes amazing cuts.

Defensively, UND runs the 3-4 and is geared to stopping the run, and neutralizing the short passing game. They have fast athletic linebackers that are more suited to run containment and pass defense than rushing the QB. The secondary largely plays a man-on-man scheme rather than zone.

I won't speculate on who would win if we played this year, but my personal opinons on the two teams are as follows:

NDSU has a much better defense than UND.

UND has a much better offense than NDSU.

UND has better players at every skill-position than NDSU, except punter.

LINEBACKERS? QB? WR? (As a core not just ONE player) O-Line? Just because your team puts 600 on a DII team doesn't mean they can do the same at the next level or even against a faster NDSU defense

It's quite amusing reading the bickering that goes back and forth on who is better and who would win. Trying to up the other using statistics and by other means...seriously who cares we as fans can speculate all we want on who'd win but there's no point to it unless the teams actually play and settle it out on the field. Until that day ever comes please continue on with the useless debate of who is better for I'll continue to read it. :silly:

It's quite amusing reading the bickering that goes back on forth on who is better and who would win. Trying to up the other using statistics and by other means...seriously who cares we as fans can speculate all we want on who'd win but there's no point to it unless the teams actually play and settle it out on the field. Until that day ever comes please continue on with the useless debate of who is better for I'll continue to read it. :silly:

Exactly! UND and ndsu have been "playing each other" ever since the split...only we got custody of the nickel trophy "kid"! :p:lol:

Offensively, they run a 50-50 run-pass offense. The passing portion is a vertical-style game and in no way resembles the West Coast offense. Lots of post patterns, flag routes, and quick outs. The strength of the offense is the O-line which is equally adept at pass protection and run blocking. They open big holes for a shifty and fast RB who reacts to defenders and makes amazing cuts.

Defensively, UND runs the 3-4 and is geared to stopping the run, and neutralizing the short passing game. They have fast athletic linebackers that are more suited to run containment and pass defense than rushing the QB. The secondary largely plays a man-on-man scheme rather than zone.

I won't speculate on who would win if we played this year, but my personal opinons on the two teams are as follows:

NDSU has a much better defense than UND.

UND has a much better offense than NDSU.

UND has better players at every skill-position than NDSU, except punter.

NDSU has a better defense, a slightly better offense, and better special teams. The only reason UND looks like they play so fast on offense is because the D2 defenses they play against are flat out slow and non athletic. They are not on the same level as D1 NDSU. NDSU players would look blazing fast against Manakato too.

NDSU is a good match for a vertical offense. They have a superior pass rush and would welcome the opportunity get after a non scrambling QB after weeks of chasing around scramblers.

Yes it's a free country and anyone can start any thread they want. But why feed into threads like this that just draw venom from the Bi-Son. Let's not encourage them to visit this site they have their own site complete with a permanent Smack thread for their sophmoric comments.

NDSU is no longer a rival of UND and good riddance. The football rivalry was lopsided in UNDs favor not only for the last 10 years but overall for the entire history of the rivalry.

Nickel Trophy - I'm out.

Anyone who states that UND would be clearly better is out of their mind. What would make you think this???

Is UND putting up offensive and defensive numbers that are clearly superior than that of the Bison? No.

Are they winning big games against teams that they are not supposed to beat? No.

Are they blowing away every team they play? No.

Do they have as many schollys as NDSU? No.

The combination of those three things should indicate that UND should not be better than NDSU. Given that NDSU is putting up similar offensive/defensive numbers as UND (but against better teams) should make NDSU at MINIMUM just as good as UND. Considering that we have many more schollys, logic would state that we should have MORE depth.

Does anyone have any logical reason why UND should be "just as good" or "better" as NDSU? Please try to take off the kelly green glasses when responding.....

This whole conversation is quite interesting. Everyone is debating over whether NDSU and UND has the better team. The fact of the matter is that to even be debating over the topic says it all. Anybody who takes their blinders off realizes that UND would minimumly at least give NDSU a good game. UND has a great offense and NDSU's defense has at times given up yards. And there have way too many games between DIAA and D2 teams to verify that UND would give most teams in DIAA a great game and beat the majority of them. Considering how good UND is with the fact that NDSU has 27 more scholarships than UND says more about UND than NDSU. Dale Lennon has done just as good of job as compared to Bohl considering what he has to work with. We better be keeping an eye on Dales contract so we don't lose him in the future. Can you imagine what the quality of UND 's team will be in four years when we start having 63 scholarships next year.

Anyone who states that UND would be clearly better is out of their mind. What would make you think this???

Is UND putting up offensive and defensive numbers that are clearly superior than that of the Bison? No.

Are they winning big games against teams that they are not supposed to beat? No.

Are they blowing away every team they play? No.

Do they have as many schollys as NDSU? No.

The combination of those three things should indicate that UND should not be better than NDSU. Given that NDSU is putting up similar offensive/defensive numbers as UND (but against better teams) should make NDSU at MINIMUM just as good as UND. Considering that we have many more schollys, logic would state that we should have MORE depth.

Does anyone have any logical reason why UND should be "just as good" or "better" as NDSU? Please try to take off the kelly green glasses when responding.....

Given that NDSU is putting up similar offensive/defensive numbers as UND (but against better teams) should make NDSU at MINIMUM just as good as UND. Considering that we have many more schollys, logic would state that we should have MORE depth.

The teams on NDSU's schedule this season have a combined record of 20-41.

SUU has many more scholarships than UND as well.................

NDSU would beat UND. Want to know why?

UND 38 Minnesota St.-Mankato 34

NDSU 44 Central Michigan 14

So, using the same school of thought, UND should be ranked #1 in the FCS polls today. Want to know why?

Montana 37 SUU 17

UND 37 SUU 10

:lol:???

Can't we all just get along? Here are some logical statements based on fact:

UND is undefeated and ranked #2 in the country

NDSU is undefeated and ranked #2 in the country

There is some good football being played in North Dakota on Saturdays this fall. Let's enjoy it.

We don't care - you've moooved on remember - why do you keep coming here with your drival - get over us, we've gotten over you.

Uh, a Sioux Fan started this thread so I'm obligated to jump in. We've moved on. In case you haven't noticed, we're ranked #1 in D1AA and have sold out 4 consecutive games. We've moved into the elite Gateway Confernce too. I would consider that moving on in a big way. Depsite the success, I follow regional football too, especially the Sioux because it's good football and it's interesting talking Bison Sioux. We all know we will play again some day. Some want to see it others don't. Why avoid it. It's funny because any Bison/Sioux post is still the biggest thread. You can't erase a hundred year rivaly (or passion) in five.

I'll quit buggin you guys for a while. Like the other poster said, let's just agree that there is some damn good football being played in the state of ND.

After that masterpiece I expect the men in white coats will be coming to take you away very soon. Pure lunacy to put it mildly. Fortunately for you they don't play once, nevermind 10 times. Therefore, you won't have the opportunity to be proven wrong on that outrageous claim. Until your team has the courage to play us, they are in no position to claim superiority and neither are their fans. Put up or shut up is pretty much what it boils down to.

PS - How does it feel to have to support your most hated rival's hockey team because your sorry excuse for an athletic department can't put a team on the ice?

I wouldn't calling anybody elses athletic department sorry with current s&!t storm circulating through ours right now.

I'm a 1992 Sioux grad. A Sioux fan all my life, even though i grew up in West Fargo. I am not a DaveK fan. If you don't think the athletic department is in a s&!t storm right now then your out of touch with reality buddy. I have read these forums alot and finally had to respond. The AD needs to be fixed now, so Sioux sport can continue to flourish. I personally don't want to take the the Northern Coloredo route through our transition.

I'll stick up for the newbie. :lol: We're certainly in no position to compare athletic departments right now. UND doesn't even have an athletic director and may not have one for close to a year (assuming they wait to hire an AD until after the new President takes office). NDSU's appears to be a well-oiled machine at this point. UND's appears to be a trainwreck. Those are the facts as they currently stand.

Back on topic - given UND's defense this year, it would be hard to predict UND would beat FCS's top team. NDSU would definitely be favored and would probably win, but obviously anything can happen in a Sioux-Bison game. I think everyone except DaveK would agree that it sucks that we can only talk about an imaginary game.

What sucks is that people have to keep talking about NDSU. They've moved on, remember? There's no need for Sioux fans to even acknowledge their existence. If we play them again someday, fine. If not, that's okay too. We really need to spend more time talking about the Sioux and less time talking about the Bison on SiouxSports.com. People wanting to talk about the Bison should do it at Bisonville.

Nobody talks more about NDSU than you!

I only talk about how much I wish people would stop talking about them. If they were never mentioned by anybody else on this forum you can be assured that I would not be the one to bring them up.

It's not realistic to expect a 110-year rivalry to completely vanish in 4 years.

Hmmm... first post as a member of SiouxSports.com is badmouthing UND's athletic dept.? Can you make it any more obvious that you aren't a Sioux fan?

No, the comment is legit considering the UND athletic department has some problems. Some Sioux fans can see thing for what they are and don't always operate on homervision.

Uh, a Sioux Fan started this thread so I'm obligated to jump in. We've moved on. In case you haven't noticed, we're ranked #1 in D1AA and have sold out 4 consecutive games. We've moved into the elite Gateway Confernce too. I would consider that moving on in a big way. Depsite the success, I follow regional football too, especially the Sioux because it's good football and it's interesting talking Bison Sioux. We all know we will play again some day. Some want to see it others don't. Why avoid it. It's funny because any Bison/Sioux post is still the biggest thread. You can't erase a hundred year rivaly (or passion) in five.

I'll quit buggin you guys for a while. Like the other poster said, let's just agree that there is some damn good football being played in the state of ND.

Yes I am a Sioux fan, but I am also a Bison fan (which is quite hard, obviously)... Sioux sports will always come first, but I love and appreciate ALL sports at both schools. That's more than any of you can say about even just one school.

I started this thread because a sports-loving family member and I were on the phone discussing the Bison/Sioux rivalry. We are both fans of both programs, and I just wanted some thoughts seeing as both teams are doing quite well this year. I didn't want anyone fighting, I figured for that maybe one thread there could be some civilized discussion, but I guess not.

I started this thread because a sports-loving family member and I were on the phone discussing the Bison/Sioux rivalry. We are both fans of both programs, and I just wanted some thoughts seeing as both teams are doing quite well this year. I didn't want anyone fighting, I figured for that maybe one thread there could be some civilized discussion, but I guess not.

There was a better chance of Jerry Falwell rising from the grave to marry Pat Roberston than there was of this thread not turning into a utter disaster.