SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

That's not quite true. As I was just noting over on blogland, a very important concession that came out of this is being able to play in REA without all the logos removed.

Don't misread me as painting this as a nickname victory for UND, because it's not. But IF UND thought the only realistic outcomes were tribal approval or changing the name, getting a three year respite to resolve that and not having to remove all the logos from REA was probably worth a million.

Let us not forget that UND does not own REA; the university really does not have any say what goes on at the Ralph. The people who own stock in Arena Holdings Corp do. So UND needs to talk to REA before they say "sure we will remove some of the logos"

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us not forget that UND does not own REA; the university really does not have any say what goes on at the Ralph. The people who own stock in Arena Holdings Corp do. So UND needs to talk to REA before they say "sure we will remove some of the logos"

Rest assured, if UND changes its nicknames, you'll still see the Sioux logo everywhere in REA, except where it matters: On the ice and on the team uniforms.

Cr@p!!! :crazy:

I don't care how they spin this, we lost. One million dollars down the toilet!

I've lost all of the respect I had for Stenjhem due to his butting in on this matter. UND was looking at hiring local attorneys to handle it when Stenjhem decided to butt in. He hires an expensive out of state firm, spends a million dollars and this what we get?

The REA could tell UND to play somewhere else and since they are tearing down the old Ralph that leaves Purpur Arena. Good luck fitting 11,000 people there. :lol:

We don't know what kind of support they need to meet the supporting tribe requirement - perhaps they already have the support they need, or have an agreement with a Sioux tribe in the works that will satisfy the requirement. If they can negotiate their way into keeping the name, it's going to be much cheaper than fighting in court over it for the next three or four years, and probably faster, too.

I still think there's a cause of action under equal protection in federal court if they want to keep the name, and people other than the university could reasonably have standing to sue. I strongly doubt that the NCAA, made up of mostly public university member institutions, isn't a state actor for equal protection purposes...

John

We don't know what kind of support they need to meet the supporting tribe requirement - perhaps they already have the support they need, or have an agreement with a Sioux tribe in the works that will satisfy the requirement. If they can negotiate their way into keeping the name, it's going to be much cheaper than fighting in court over it for the next three or four years, and probably faster, too.

I still think there's a cause of action under equal protection in federal court if they want to keep the name, and people other than the university could reasonably have standing to sue. I strongly doubt that the NCAA, made up of mostly public university member institutions, isn't a state actor for equal protection purposes...

John

They had something in writting with the Spirit Lake Sioux but i heard it expired or something. So they need something that is indefinate and in writting with copies to everyone from the Govenor, up to damn near the president so this never happens again! I think they can get support from the Spirit Lake but Standing Rock and His Horse is Thunder would not go for it. He is too much of an a$$hole to agree to anything even though his tribe is for the name.

That's not quite true. As I was just noting over on blogland, a very important concession that came out of this is being able to play in REA without all the logos removed.

Don't misread me as painting this as a nickname victory for UND, because it's not. But IF UND thought the only realistic outcomes were tribal approval or changing the name, getting a three year respite to resolve that and not having to remove all the logos from REA was probably worth a million.

What will we do with all the logos if we don't have the name? Would we need to get rid of the logos in 3 years if no agreement is reached? Or could this lead to a name change to "Chippewa" or more generically "Warriors", etc.

Does anyone know if the agreement allows us to keep the logo on the uniform if we use a different name?

What will we do with all the logos if we don't have the name? Would we need to get rid of the logos in 3 years if no agreement is reached? Or could this lead to a name change to "Chippewa" or more generically "Warriors", etc.

Does anyone know if the agreement allows us to keep the logo on the uniform if we use a different name?

No more tribe names i say Warriors or Natives is good, at least all the tribes will have a say. But overall it may be good to get rid of all Indian nickname ideas or else we will go through this again and again.

I'm so disappointed. It's almost like someone told me that my university has some terminal illness and has three years to live. Unless some medical miracle comes about in the next three years its finished.

Three years is a log time, hopefully something can be worked out in that time. Tribal support seemingly shifts like the wind, maybe we can catch them on a good day.

We also don't know all the details but I am not holding my breath.

No more tribe names i say Warriors or Natives is good, at least all the tribes will have a say. But overall it may be good to get rid of all Indian nickname ideas or else we will go through this again and again.

Um...given Marquette's change from Warriors to Golden Eagles years ago, why do you think Warriors would be a good fit for UND?

Um...given Marquette's change from Warriors to Golden Eagles years ago, why do you think Warriors would be a good fit for UND?

I said Warriors are better than Chippewas, at least its not specific to one tribe. But overall i think abolish all indian nicknames in the whole state, why should the schools on the rez have indian nicknames when we can't. Why don't they get rid of them if they feel its so wrong. :lol:

State board approves nickname settlement

The North Dakota Board of Higher Education today approved a settlement agreement in the UND-NCAA lawsuit.

The agreement requires the school to win tribal approval for its Fighting Sioux nickname and logo within three years or retire it.

UND must win approval from the tribal councils of both the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake reservations.

If that approval is granted, it may be withdrawn at any time and UND must change its nickname within one year, said Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem.

According to the settlement, the NCAA also must post on its Web site a statement essentially withdrawing its claim that UND is hostile and abusive. Stenehjem said the agreement already has been signed by the NCAA.

I still have an attachment to the logo, so if there is a way to keep that with a different name I would think Warriors would be fine. But, we need to let the process work. Things always seem to work out. Right now the emotions are speaking. And of course we don't know all the facts, yet. When I heard the word settlement I assumed we would get to keep the name (for more than 3 years), so when the settlement came in I was just shocked. So, I need to breathe and relax and let things work themselves out.

Stenjhem said on WDAY that if a settlement is made with the tribe it could be revolved at anytime by the tribe and then UND would have to stop using "Fighting Sioux" immediately. Seems like the tribes have all the power and can hold UND under their thumbs. Time to change and take the power back.

I said Warriors are better than Chippewas, at least its not specific to one tribe. But overall i think abolish all indian nicknames in the whole state, why should the schools on the rez have indian nicknames when we can't. Why don't they get rid of them if they feel its so wrong. :lol:

I've mentioned that over and over and over but it's fallen on deaf ears every time.

I don't know what the answer is. I'm guessing a lot of people are asking themselves 'now what?' today.

In the event UND announces a transition to a new name and logo, that transition must be complete on or before Aug. 15, 2011.

UND and the NCAA have been at odds over this issue since August 2005 when the NCAA listed the school among 18 in the nation with mascots or nicknames considered