SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

You got to ask yourself though, if they change the nickname, how much is that going to change everything?

Sure, all the logos will be ripped off uniforms and stadiums me and im sure a bunch of others will still were there logo bearing shirts or jerseys to game, still chant lets go sioux, still say home of the sioux, so its not like its gunna change everything. once a sioux, always a sioux and the ncaa and the nerds of nd arent gunn change that.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true, but it works both ways. IIRC, the NCAA originally announced this policy on a Friday. And I think they announced the initial namesake exemption backpedal on a Friday as well.

Well, that's interesting. The backpedaling-that one is a no brainer, "we messed up, forget all about that FSU deal, talk to you after the weekendbuhbyenowwegottagoseeya!!!" is an easy call. But I'd think those dopes would be proud of their PC statement to announce that speaking for the majority of schools who they never asked, they've decided that we don't want to play with you guys anymore....

This announcement is coming from your school though. I guess I don't see any reason why your school would want to delay good news at all. And I would call a win over the NCAA good news; and I think most of your alums would too. So who knows. We'll find out more tomorrow.

Maybe the will say the Sioux can retain the nickname and logo as long as the "documents' stay sealed. Cause i think the NCAA is doing something to incriminate themselves and public opinion would be at an uproar if something got out. NCAA should have thought twice about trying to screw over a school with "balls" to stand up to them. Long live Fighting SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one am praying for the hearts of the board and that the Sioux name continues to be used at the UND. The PC issues are getting out of control in this world and I am getting tired of it. If I could, I would be at the meeting to support the name on Friday. If anyone can make it, please attend, be proud, wear your colors, be respectable and keep your head up. Go University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux !

I wonder if Judge Jahnke didn't tell the NCAA that they better get this thing settled or he would reconsider the document sealing motion. It seems as though this happened very quickly after he denied the request that they be opened.

I wonder if he will wear his Feather Jacket?

Just popped up on the Forum website:

Sources: UND faces retiring Fighting Sioux nickname

the way i read the article it said we will be able to use it for the next 3 years so does this mean that we have 3 years to convince the tribes of our area that we proudly represent the sioux name? I guess i dont understand is the ncaa just giving us more time?

We would be complete idiots to agree to this type of compromise.

What does "support from the areas Sioux tribes" mean ? One tribe only or all tribes ?

I would assume this means that the tribal gov would have to give approval and there is no way that will happen.

That's not a compromise, if we had that support today we would already be on the exempt list.

If this is the settlement then I would rather see this go to court as I believe we stand a good chance of winning. Why did we even bother to file the lawsuit if we are willing to accept this.

Additonally, in most sports we won't qualify for post-season for sometime during our transition to d1. The only sport that this would affect is hockey and we won't be hosting tourny games anyway. So the only thing we get out of the 3 years is that the hockey team can keep the current jerseys. If this is really the "compromise" then we lost big time. Just makes no sense at all.

You don't spend close to, or over, $1 million dollars on lawyers to agree on a settlement like this. It's just inexcusable. You don't fight for 2 years and then agree to give up the name in the next 3. It just doesn't make sense. Hopefully there will be some vote amongst the members tomorrow and realize how silly this settlement agreement would be.

Another thing: What does removal of some of the Sioux logos in the REA mean? Every other section? Every Other Row? No Logo at center ice?

If UND agrees to that, it better have an inside track on getting the tribes support.

You don't spend close to, or over, $1 million dollars on lawyers to agree on a settlement like this. It's just inexcusable. You don't fight for 2 years and then agree to give up the name in the next 3. It just doesn't make sense. Hopefully there will be some vote amongst the members tomorrow and realize how silly this settlement agreement would be.

Plus we got to hear about this crap for three more years in not more..............we have support.................next day......................we don't have support..................................month later we might have support...........................................sorry nope............................................................................

........................................................maybe...................

...ok................................................nevermind they heard someone say sioux sucks..........................................................no...............

.......................yes......................................................

.................................no.............................................

........................................only on Monday and Sunday you have our support.........................................................................

F#&$ you NCAA!

This "settlement" would also remove any responsibility for a name change from the state board and place it on the Sioux tribes. As the clock ticks down on the 3 years and no approval is given, I can imagine a lot of ugly scenarios developing. Whatever problems may exist now or that are perceived to exist, will seem very small with what may happen in a few years.

If we agree to this, it strikes me as pointless. How is the NCAA compromising? Where are the $damages$ for being referred to as a "hostile & abusive" university.

I don't like this one bit. The tribes seem too unreliable. We might as well switch the name to Fighting Dakotans and see if the NCAA classifies that as "hostile & abusive."

This settlement is the death of the Fighting Sioux name. The tribes don't care about us. Putting this in their hands will only cause more hate.

10-26-2007 R.I.P. Fighting Sioux

10-26-2010 Funeral of Fighting Sioux Name

This settlement is NOT ok. State board please take note. :crazy:

Ok. Any settlement makes the assumption that the tribe(s) and their COUNCILS will negotiate and/or work with UND in good faith. Who can see that as anything remotely likely to happen?

Quick, anyone have email contacts for the members of the SB of HEducation?