SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stenjum robbed us blind. that bass turd took over 900000 from us when eh could have done this settlement a year ago. We shoudl of hired a real UND attorny that actually cares about the sioux and bleeds green. and the 7 percnet windsor 25 percnet water is poured

word on the street is that ralph's board of directors have called up grand forks welding and u gusy all no what they are going to do. hopefully the hockey teams can get there stuff out of the arena before they are welded shut

I highly doubt the word on the street is right considering it has already been stated in this thread that we can keep using the Ralph, the Ralph does NOT have to get rid of the logos. The nickname is not gone yet.

.....influence tribal councils rather than an evening of entertainment.

Indians into Medicince, Nursing, Engineering, etc, Elder health care, Diabete prevention/education, 30+ Native American programs already are in place. 'An evening of entertainment' was not to influence but to expose the members to the 'environment' of an athletic event. To show them that no disrespect was exhibited towards Native Americans.

This is what many on this board were concerned about - being labeled "hostile and abusive." you should be happy now. :lol:

The NCAA agrees to make a public announcement regarding UND, saying that although it believes American Indian names and imagery can create hostile and abusive environments, it didn

Indians into Medicince, Nursing, Engineering, etc, Elder health care, Diabete prevention/education, 30+ Native American programs already are in place. 'An evening of entertainment' was not to influence but to expose the members to the 'environment' of an athletic event. To show them that no disrespect was exhibited towards Native Americans.

I fear they may not be treated the same around campus going forward. Alot of nut-jobs out there.

I calle $tenehjem's office and voiced my complaint this morning. The lady said she would pass it along, highly doubt it. I want to cry, this is a hell of a pill to swallow.

Whats the phone #? i want to ask for a refund.

I'll probably get blasted for this idea but here goes nothing......

There seems to be much hatred towards the NCAA for mandating this. Some have said that its "illegal" or "unconsitutional" for the NCAA to govern. To that my response is.... leave the NCAA. The NCAA is a group or club. Just like any self governed group the members must play by the rules. If UND and its supporters want to keep the name....then leave. If you want to say then ditch the name. It's pretty simple. Also, I have heard many criticize the NCAA and refer to it as NC$$.... Please feel free to give the NCAA its money back once a conference is gained for non-football sports. I"m sure that the NCAA would love to not have to give monies from the NCAA basketball tournaments to UND.

What a great idea!! Leave the only game in town and play who? Canada? Go back to Bisonville and graze, I do not have the patience or inclination to read your drivel today!!

Before we all get bent out of shape about this settlement let's analyze what would have happened had we won this suit in court.

I'm not up on all the details but I believe this wouldn't have saved the Fighting Sioux nickname necessarily, but would have invalidated the current policy as being improperly instituted.

While the NCAA might have instituted this policy around its normal procedures, it is still possible that after losing the lawsuit they would have gone back to the drawing board, dotted their i's and crossed their t's and we'd be right back here at a later date, bemoaning the probable need to change the nickname (or at least suffer the consequences of continued use).

This settlement gets the NCAA to "take back" the hostile and abusive charge, and some manageable changes to REA if necessary. It also buys some time to work out agreements with the tribes. I'm also concerned with the variable winds that can blow, but let's see if any agreements can be reached, and what those agreements might be before we doom them to failure.

I hate to see the nickname change, but unfortunately I can see too many scenarios where it comes to that regardless of the outcome in court. I'm hoping that the powers-that-be believe they can work something out.

If not, then we move on with our heads held high.

This is a very disappointing outcome after all of the money, time and energy that was spent fighting this.

However, I'm attempting to remain somewhat optimistic (which is actually pretty hard to do in this case) that when they agreed to settle this, there is something more behind it than what we yet know.

In my current job, I deal with settlements on somewhat of a regular basis. My experience of settlements is that there is some type of a compromise for the parties involved. Obviously no one gets everything they wanted, but they get something. There's usually a reason and some logic behind every settlement that brings some type of benefit to parties involved.

It seems on the face of it, that UND got squat out of the deal, other than some supposed moratorium for three years unless we get tribal approval. I think many would agree that this seems like a farce at best. Oh... I forgot how the NC00 is supposed to say, "They're really not hostile and abusive..."

However; I find it hard to believe that this is all UND gets out of the settlement.

I'm hoping against hope that there has been some work, behind what we are seeing that is setting up UND to keep the Fighting Sioux name; thus ultimately agreeing to this settlement.

As it's been mentioned earlier on this thread, "Let's wait and see..." I really think that's what we have to do. It's certainly hard to do but it needs to be done.

Of course, I'm not suprised by much any more and after we see the real aspect of this settlement (beyond the early reports, etc.) if this is indeed all UND gets out of the deal, then it would just reinforce my belief that the fans, tradition, etc. still don't mean s&!t when it comes to the almighty $.

It remains to be seen... Until the day they actually, officially retire the Fighting Sioux name... I truly remain a fan of the FIGHTNG SIOUX!

I shouldn't even post yet, since I am reserving judgement until I have had a chance to let everything sink in and also see more details, but oh, well...

I guess the biggest disappointment I see (so far) is that the University is willing to retire the Sioux name based on this settlement. In my head, I always saw the lawsuit and name fight as two separate issues:

-The lawsuit was addressing how the NCAA acted in "mandating their beliefs" on the use of Native American mascots, logos, etc. And how the NCAA acted "arbitrarily and capriciously" in its treatement of UND compared to other schools with NCAA membership

-The question of whether the Fighting Sioux moniker at the University of North Dakota should be used

I believe a decision on whether the University of North Dakota should be known as the Fighting Sioux should be decided by respectful dialogue and discourse and not because some group--NCAA--decided that they were going to punish schools that use a moniker they didn't like.

I really felt that the NCAA acted way out of their bounds in their enforcement of this policy/"social statement", and I guess I wanted to see them "punished" more.

I guess we shall see what the future brings...

This is a very disappointing outcome after all of the money, time and energy that was spent fighting this.

However, I'm attempting to remain somewhat optimistic (which is actually pretty hard to do in this case) that when they agreed to settle this, there is something more behind it than what we yet know.

In my current job, I deal with settlements on somewhat of a regular basis. My experience of settlements is that there is some type of a compromise for the parties involved. Obviously no one gets everything they wanted, but they get something. There's usually a reason and some logic behind every settlement that brings some type of benefit to parties involved.

It seems on the face of it, that UND got squat out of the deal, other than some supposed moratorium for three years unless we get tribal approval. I think many would agree that this seems like a farce at best. Oh... I forgot how the NC00 is supposed to say, "They're really not hostile and abusive..."

However; I find it hard to believe that this is all UND gets out of the settlement.

I'm hoping against hope that there has been some work, behind what we are seeing that is setting up UND to keep the Fighting Sioux name; thus ultimately agreeing to this settlement.

As it's been mentioned earlier on this thread, "Let's wait and see..." I really think that's what we have to do. It's certainly hard to do but it needs to be done.

Of course, I'm not suprised by much any more and after we see the real aspect of this settlement (beyond the early reports, etc.) if this is indeed all UND gets out of the deal, then it would just reinforce my belief that the fans, tradition, etc. still don't mean s&!t when it comes to the almighty $.

It remains to be seen... Until the day they actually, officially retire the Fighting Sioux name... I truly remain a fan of the FIGHTNG SIOUX!

For the rest of my life, nickname change or not, I will cheer for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux! It's game day people, lets relax and get ready to see our boys whoop Tech's butt.

For the rest of my life, nickname change or not, I will cheer for the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux! It's game day people, lets relax and get ready to see our boys whoop Tech's butt.

Without a doubt, it's game day... Bringing things back into some perspective!