SiouxSports.com Forum

Negotiated Settlement?

GeauxSioux

There were so many more posts that I wanted to make fun of, but I figured that people would get all upset.......I'm just trying to make light of the situation before people start taking their own lives.

I had the perfect line for "UND is not a whore" but I'm sure I would've offended Sioux-cia or something. LMFAO

Come on .....lets hear it :lol:

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRILLIANT!

We could start an "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!" chant!!!

We are the Fighting Sioux of the University of North Dakota. If the word "Sioux" is banned and presumably "North Dakota" by applying the same logic, we are left with Fighting University. Perhaps at the next NCAA event we can all proudly chant "F.U.! F.U.! F.U.!"

This has me so mad :lol: and disappointed :lol: at the same time. It is stupid. We should not be at the mercy of the tribes. That is insane. I do not like the settlement. I wish we would have fought it out to the end. I do not ever want to see the name or logo changed. But perhaps if it has to change, lets change it to the Fighting Germans (EDIT: in fact, call them German-Russians). I do not believe that is taken yet, and there is a high percentage of people with German-Russian heritage in North Dakota. And German-Russians, like the Irish (Notre Dame), will be honored by it and not offended. But we really should not even have to discus a new name and logo, we should be able to keep it!!!

University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Forever!

Stenhjem, Earl Strinden & Tim O'keefe were all on the radio this morning and all indicated that the state would win the lawsuit on the improper actions of the NCAA committee. But -- the NCAA has already proposed ammended bylaws that they anticipated would be approved in January that would give the exec committee the authority that they lacked the first time around. The NCAA would then pass essentially the same rule lawfully within its own new bylaws. All three were very confident that by getting the NCAA out of ND business, progress can be made on this issue.

That really shows the brilliant legal move to challenge this on a technicality rather than the heart of the matter which would be whether the name actually was hostile and abusive or was the NCAA acting capriciously. Next time let's get a real lawyer.

We are the Fighting Sioux of the University of North Dakota. If the word "Sioux" is banned and presumably "North Dakota" by applying the same logic, we are left with Fighting University. Perhaps at the next NCAA event we can all proudly chant "F.U.! F.U.! F.U.!"

I like it.

Do people actually think that if we change the nickname we'll be able to keep the logo?!?! That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!! This whole case has to do with the nickname AND the logo. To suggest that we'll somehow be able to keep the logo has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard all morning.

I love the Sioux logo but if the tribes force us to change the name why would we even want to acknowledge them at all by keeping the logo?

[*] The NCAA will issue a statement to its members that application of its nickname policy to UND has been suspended, and that no institution should use it as a factor in regular season scheduling against UND

[*] If UND is removed from the list of institutions subject to the policy, it will be allowed to play regular season contests at venues it does not own that have not complied with the policy (venues it owns must comply with the policy, and championships will not be hosted at non-owned venues which do not comply)

Obviously that's a reference to the Ralph as non-owned.

I wonder though are they going to issue any sanctions against schools that refuse to host us due to our name? I doubt it.

UND would have won this lawsuit. And then what? I've been saying for months, that the NCAA would simply enact the legislation the proper way. We have a politically incorrect nickname in the cultural marxist world of "higher learning". Putting our faith in the collective "wisdom" of college Presidents would not have gotten us anywhere. This lawsuit, while it was necessary due to the immediate time constraints, was not going to get us permanently off the NCAA's list, and it certainly wasn't going to decide the fate of the Fighting Sioux nickname. Politically speaking, the Fighting Sioux nickname can not be sustained without tribal support. We may disagree with that and claim that the tribes do not own the name, which is true, but it is hard to deny that is the political reality in the times in which we live.

I've been saying for a few months now that I hate the fact that the Fighting Sioux nickname empowers people that do not deserve to be empowered. And while the historical Sioux people may be deserving of honor, the current Sioux leadership certainly is not. If I never have to care about the opinions of Ron His Horse is Thunder or David Gipp or Myra Pearson, etc. ever again, I'll be a happier person. The tribal leadership has made it abundantly clear that they do not want to partner with UND and turn the nickname into a positive like other tribes have done. Fine. Let's grant them their wish and let them live with their decision.

Did anyone die? No, but a lot of people are feeling awfully low right now. I don't think you can ignore it, nor can you rush anyone thru their own process of grieving (or at least adjusting to this settlement).

Point taken, but it's not like the nickname was retired this afternoon, I'm just more of a positive person than a negative one.

I just think that people are jumping to conclusions and giving up the fight, when it's far from over.

Did anyone die? No, but a lot of people are feeling awfully low right now. I don't think you can ignore it, nor can you rush anyone thru their own process of grieving (or at least adjusting to this settlement).

The name may have died though. I am mad as heck and disappointed that people were so stupid when it came to this settlement.

I just finished reading the settlement cover-to-cover and made a post about it. Here are the points I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere in this thread:

[*] The NCAA pledges not to contact any Sioux tribes with any attempts to influence them to provide or not to provide support for UND

[*] The Spirit Lake Tribe

Was this the only option!! Because if it wasn't, we got hosed.

We got hosed.

I think we got a worse settlement than we would have if we had lost the case. The alternative would have been to go to trial probably win on the technicality that the NCAA did not follow their rules. Then you could negotiate from a position of strength.

Standing Rock Tribal Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder said Thursday the settlement unfairly shifted the burden of retiring the nickname from the state to the tribes.

Unfairly? Didn't they always tell us it should be their decision? :lol:

Let's grant them their wish and let them live with their decision.

That's what still has me chuckling in all of this:

Ron His Horse is Thunder finally gets his dream, the power to make "Fighting Sioux" go away, and now he's complaining, complaining!, that it was dropped in his lap and he really doesn't want it.

Heck of a leader he must be. :lol:

Unfairly? Didn't they always tell us it should be their decision? :lol:

That's what still has me chuckling in all of this:

Ron His Horse is Thunder finally gets his dream, the power to make "Fighting Sioux" go away, and now he's complaining, complaining!, that it was dropped in his lap and he really doesn't want it.

Heck of a leader he must be. :lol:

Now the ball is in Ron His Horse Thunders court, its just easier to complain and make a fuss then to actually come up with solutions.

Point taken, but it's not like the nickname was retired this afternoon, I'm just more of a positive person than a negative one.

I just think that people are jumping to conclusions and giving up the fight, when it's far from over.

***Makes Morgan and Coke and takes drink, ah, now I feel better. A little beter.