SiouxSports.com Forum

Goophers

sioux_11

I appologize to you for the Ralph comment, yes it was out of line, SORRY, but I am appologizing to you, goon, diagies and a few others only.  You guys seem to be the only UND fans who can stomach Gopher fans on this board.
You gotta be careful there. As far as I can tell, this little war seems to be between a total of about 5 Sioux fans and the gopher fans who feel the need to come here to taunt. Glance down the list of top 25 posters and you won't find many names that have had a thing to say in this conflict (I believe this is my first comment, for example).

The battle of short tempers and personal attacks (on both sides) is dominating the conversation on this board because, frankly, there isn't a lot of UND hockey to talk about right now. Getting in a pissing match with some gopher fans over who has the most storied program is of no interest to most of us, despite that recent success has emboldened a few of those fans with ridiculous hubris (what goes around comes around). It would probably be a mistake to let the half a dozen people you're fighting with change your impression of the average temperament of the hundreds of other Sioux fans here, as you've suggested it would.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And women get labeled as b*tchy. :huh: Someone let me know when we start talking about hockey again....any hockey. I'm too busy to scroll through all of this crap to find something that I want to read.

I will be cheering for the only WCHA team in the tournament, because after "my" team I cheer for "my" conference. Simple as that. As hard as it is to cheer for a rival team, especially one that is catching up to the Sioux in titles, I don't let what I read on a message board be a deciding factor on my opinions of other people, because I know better than that. I am not 10 years old. The people who pull out the "See if I ever cheer for ____ again in a national tournament because someone on a message board said they will never root for my team" need to grow up.

Controversial opinions are going to be expected on a message board, and in fact welcomed. How boring if we all just sat around agreeing with each other! There would be nothing to discuss. Some people need to learn to stay away from the flaming, and some people need to learn that a difference in opinions is not an end all. If it was, then Goon and I would never be able to have a civil conversation after I called him out on calling Siembida "Sievebida," but we have.

Anyway, just my two cents. I'm sick of coming to this site lately hoping to read about hockey since USCHO has lost my interest, only to find this stuff.

I was going to make a comment about what forecheck said about women getting labeled as b*tchy, but I am having enough trouble with the female gender as is...

Comment away. :huh: I was just implying that the males on this board are getting rather b*tchy lately. I don't think I'm entirely wrong.

Comment away. :huh: I was just implying that the males on this board are getting rather b*tchy lately. I don't think I'm entirely wrong.

I have to say I completlely agree with you...nice to know I can still make comments like that without being taken seriously...flatspin will back me up, his girlfriend hated some of the sexist comments I made until she learned they were only jokes, and not to be taken seriously at all :blush::(

I'm sick of coming to this site lately hoping to read about hockey since USCHO has lost my interest, only to find this stuff.

FYI, GDM and I are sick of it, too. It's not that it's gone unnoticed, rather that I'm assuming it's a temporary symptom of short tempers among some Sioux fans following a disappointing season and of taunting from some Gopher fans at the zenith of a good post-season. I always think most people have some capacity to self police, so try to give a lot of short term leeway. I hope from the last few posts that people have already calmed down. I mostly just wanted to assure you that we won't allow this sort of discourse to become the long term norm here.

I have to say I completlely agree with you...nice to know I can still make comments like that without being taken seriously...flatspin will back me up, his girlfriend hated some of the sexist comments I made until she learned they were only jokes, and not to be taken seriously at all :blush::(

Bah! I'm still waiting for the day when people quit being shocked by the things I say. Usually I'm the offensive one. :huh:

Admin, I'm sure that's exactly the reason for the constant bickering, and I also figured it was going to be short term. It's not like we haven't seen Sioux and Gopher fans hash it out before. The only reason I posted that is because I think it's time for the Sioux fans to stop licking their wounds now and just enjoy the rest of the hockey season from the back seat, as short as it is. There is plenty of time in the off season to remind Gopher fans that 7>4 or 7>5, whichever it happens to be at the time. :p

I would never come here to rub it in. I may say it in private or with my friends but why kick a group of fans when their down? It would just give sprig more ammo to criticize everything Gopher fans say and we need less of that guy :huh:

I understand frustration at losing, it sucks! I dont think that excuses a lot of what I see here in this thread, but who am I to judge? I also dont care whether you respect me, my team, my friends or fellow fans. I would hope you do since in reality KBG, GE, WPOS and bert are all good guys as am I despite what some may say. Arrogant? SURE! Any more arrogant than many other fans...HELL NO! Does it matter? Not a bit thankfully!

I don't like when the biotchfests started on POI (along with the influx of NEWBIE fans who start flames both for and against the Gophers and their rivals) because it took what was once a peaceful and fun board and turned it into USCHO jr. While most of the time the UND fans like dagies and jk are respectful they are quick to stand up for Blais and the Sioux and their fellow fans just like WPOS is here. I dont have a problem with it there and dont think it should ever be a problem. I had a similar problem on this board last year when I fought back against what a few of the posters said about Gopher fans. If you dont want us here say so. But if we are welcome to post we should be able to defend our fellow fans from stupid sterotypes that are so lame and stupid they border on the fantastic! I dont begrudge you that on POI and I dont agree with those who do. (I honestly hate when people use the "This is a Gopher Board" excuse cause it implies segregation which seems dumb on a public message board IMO)

Now I know I will chances are get a bevy of responses to this post saying "well you are pathetic" or calling me "handjob man" or whatever clever name is in style. That is cool, my life hardly hinges on it. I am just trying to say that good fans dont judge by what team you cheer for, but by the way you cheer and how. In both cases I suck so that point is moot for me but in general I think most posters with any sort of history on here, or POI, or USCHO know enough about each other to truly respect them despite their allegiances or stray dumb comment. Since I am probably nothing like you all expect (ask Murph he has met me) me to be I assume none of you are as you post. I dont judge you by words on a web site since they are as worthless as Canadian money :blush:

That is my 2 cents...I hope it made some sense cause I dont think I can type this much again without taking a pot shot at someone other than myself. I hope I didnt upset any of you since I didnt intend to, but if I did I guess you will just have to deal. I respect the UND Sioux program, dont like it but respect it. Having met Dean Blais I must say he was a nice guy and he is a helluva coach. Hard to argue with the tradition or the rivalry. And while I may not be able to cheer for you (I cant cheer for rivals most of the time...I am very stubborn) most of the time, I would never be angry if you ended up on top. Believe me that is my ultimate sign of respect.

Just when things start calming down, and people are talking nice again. Someone comes along and stirs up the hornets nest. The same person on Hockey, Football, Basketball threads.

Hockey

Siouxrock Posted: Mar 30 2003, 04:03 PM 

gophers suck 

Football

Siouxrock Posted: Mar 30 2003, 04:07 PM 

how do i live in the pass?

a lot of kids have mullets

we did it as a team when we were in the chmapionchips

how coem any of the fargo teams didnt make it past the first round?

hmmm

they suck 

Basketball

Siouxrock Posted: Mar 23 2003, 03:55 PM 

hwo coem if the sioux rite now, are better tehn the bison in all sports that attract over 3000 are better then the bison but the bison goto d-1 cuz they think they can compete 

taunting/ripping done. I apologize to all I have offended. If I continue to post here I will no longer get drawn into a bi-oching fest, if you couldn't tell it can be pretty easy to do that to me. Lots of cool people here, I have met a few of them and they are super nice even tho we root for different teams.

GO WCHA!

WPoS

taunting/ripping done. I apologize to all I have offended. If I continue to post here I will no longer get drawn into a bi-oching fest, if you couldn't tell it can be pretty easy to do that to me. Lost of cool people here, I have met a few of them and they are super nice even tho we root for different teams.

GO WCHA!

WPoS

Good call WPoS.

Post here how you'd want UND fans to post on POI.

I can't speak for everybody else, but I like having people here with difference of opinions. It creates better discussions as long as we stay away from that "Sioux Suck/ Gophers Suck" BS.

Keep on posting.

:huh:

Good Luck in the frozen 4

Good call WPoS.

Post here how you'd want UND fans to post on POI.

Greyeagle, I think that may be a mistake. WPoS actually wants opposing fans to come on POI and stir things up. He may deny it, but anytime you see a thread on POI about another team choking (e.g. "0-fer RATED!") or trying to get a reaction from opposing fans (e.g. "Where have all the Opponents gone?") you know that WPoS started that thread. So he posts on POI in a way that promotes opposing fans getting riled up. I hope he posts here differently than how he posts on POI. :huh:

Greyeagle, I think that may be a mistake. WPoS actually wants opposing fans to come on POI and stir things up. He may deny it, but anytime you see a thread on POI about another team choking (e.g. "0-fer RATED!") or trying to get a reaction from opposing fans (e.g. "Where have all the Opponents gone?") you know that WPoS started that thread. So he posts on POI in a way that promotes opposing fans getting riled up. I hope he posts here differently than how he posts on POI. :huh:

I may post that way on the HOME board for Gophers KBG, but I don't PURPOSELY go into someone's house and stir the hornet's nest, I leave that to Bertibm :blush: ...On my home turf tho it can be fun to have a little trash talk, as long as it stays civil.

WPoS

I apologize to all I have offended. If I continue to post here I will no longer get drawn into a bi-oching fest, if you couldn't tell it can be pretty easy to do that to me. Lots of cool people here, I have met a few of them and they are super nice even tho we root for different teams.

GO WCHA!

WPoS

WPos:

You are both a scholar and a gentleman. Geez, some people have the thin skins. I am a life-long Sioux fan, went to both UND and UM, and love WCHA hockey. am teaching my kids to be solid team, and league fans.

I transferred from ND to Minnesota in '78 just so I could follow Neal Broten. Had he gone to UND, which he almost did, I would have stayed up north and would probably be Governor by now, or at least UND President. I even rooted for the Gophers during the couple of years I was at the U of M. Great games between the Sioux and Gophers in the late 70's. Of course. Remember the 4-3 Gopher win in 1979, Detroit? Just weeks after the Sioux won a 4-2 battle in Mariucci for the League Crown?

You, and most others, may, perhaps, be too young for such history. Back in the days before face masks, and one game suspensions for fighting. Remember when the Gophers got aced out of an early round NCAA game when Aaron Broten ripped the net so hard on a goal that was clearly in, but not seen by either the goal judge or the referee. It was in the old Mariucci, a great place. Game stopped for twenty minutes while the refs tried to find a hole in the net. Didn't. Play resumed, and the Gophers lost, as I recall, in OT, to some non-descript school that I can no longer recall.

That was a championship year that got away from the Gophers on a freak play.

How about Tim "the Rocket" Harrer. Could that guy take a slapshot, ala Brandon Bochenski 25 years later.

Anyway, I cheered for the Gophers for two years, much to the dismay of my pappy. I will likely do 200-300,000 thousand years in Purgatory for doing so. C'est la vie. Now, I am a die hard Sioux fan, and will try to save as many souls as I can through my preaching. Save yourself while you still can my boy. You seem learned and bright. Come on over to the Green and White.

What, pray tell, is your first recollection of the Fighting Sioux as a young lad?

I was at that flippin' game. It ruined a chance for what could have been one of the greatest frozen four matchups in history - A MN-UND re-match. Mention Mike Legg to some Gopher fans and it gets their blood boiling, but at least that was a legitimate (and incredible) play. That NMU game just pi$$es me off.

Rant over.

Thanks Greyeagle . . . .

That's right. Northern Michigan. It did prevent a rematch of the Sioux-Gophers in 1980 Frozen Four. Sioux beat NMU in the title game, 5-2. Avenged two Sioux losses to the Wildcats earlier in the year in Marquette, Michigan.

Who were the Gopher fans rooting for in that game? The league representative and the hated foe, NDU, or the lucky bums who unfairly knocked the Gophers off of the ball, NMU?

In fairness to NMU, they did go into the FF 33-5-1 that season. Northern Michigan was in the WCHA for a handful of years, along with Notre Dame and, going way back, Michigan and Michigan State. NMU was the CCHA Champ in 1980 regular season.

Thanks for helping me further recollect the game, and the circumstances.

It is moments like those that meld the hearts of die hard college hockey fans.

ps. By the way, you heard the announcers state, ad naseum, how this is Cornell's first trip back to the FF in 23 years. 1980 was their last trip. They entered with a record of 16-13, and got beat by Northern Michigan in the semis, 5-4.

Geez, the shear power and speed of an Aaron Broten slapshot that some, but not all, saw rip the back of the net prevented a rematch of the collossal 1979 Final between the Sioux and the Gophers.

NorthDakotaHockey,

sorry, you can't convert the righteous! :huh:

My first UND game that I got to see was in 86'-'87 in the old Mariucci, man I miss that place. I was a newbie fan then, and can't really remmember who was playing besides the Gopher players...sorry man.

But I DO remember three on three hockey before the coincidental penalty rule came into effect, those were the days...POND hockey! And Greg Sheppard AS a ref, and of course, the worse ref in the world...MEDO....

Ok, enuf memory lane, must go back to work...

WPoS

Medo Martenelli (sp?)

I love the nostalgia. UND, MN, UW ruled college hockey for several years in the early '80's - especially UW & UND. It was a wonderful time to be a WCHA fan.

One of the greatest quotes ever came from Dave Christian when asked about winning the Gold medal. I'm sure this is more paraphrased but when asked of the significance of winning the Gold, he looked over at Herbie and said, "In the past year, that guy [Herb Brooks] has coached in the two biggest upsets in the history of hockey." Classic and I apologize if I messed it up badly.

'Twas a great quote Gregeagle.

For the younger fans on this post, and for that young grasshopper, siouxrock, 'specially, Christian was a Sioux center from Warroad, played '77--'79 (30-40-70) before going on to the Miracle on Ice in 1980, and then to a storied career in the NHL, first off with the Winnipeg Jets.

Christian, from the Christian Brothers stick empire family, was referring to Herbie's Olympic win, and, of course, to the Gophers win little more than a year previous over the Sioux in Detroit, perhaps the greatest hockey championship game ever played, save for Bowling Green's 4OT win over UMD in, I recall, 1984 or thereabouts.

By the way, how the heck did LSSU Lakers win three titles between 1988-1994?

Back to Judge Hatchett . . . .

Geez, the trips down memory lane. Sioux fans and Gopher fans getting along. I'm starting to tear up here. Nice work forecheck. Maybe you can arrange tea for GW and Saddam and get them to patch up their differences.