SiouxSports.com Forum

Goophers

sioux_11

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sioux 11--

That was quite a diatribe...a spewing stream of vile garbage against the team you love to hate. Well, thanks for the compliment! The more you try to convince everybody that Minnesota sucks, the more you call attention to your curious preoccupation with the maroon and gold. What, you don't like our uniforms? You don't appreciate our cheers? The M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A thing doesn't do it for you? Let me take a moment to consider discontinuing these practices because the omnipotent Sioux 11 objects...naw, I think I'll keep doing it. Going back to the Woog years and using 21 years of futility to compare us to some of your program's recent success is meaningless. The Wooger stuck with Minnesota kids year after year as true freshman coming into the program. So, despite being competitive year after year, it was difficult for our 18-year- old freshmen to compete with the 21-year-old Jason Blakes of the world (it makes a big difference--what if Bonin came in as a 21-year-old freshman?). But hey, what's done is done; the past is past. I for one am looking forward to the future, with Lucia in charge using mostly Minnesota boys with a few out-of-staters plugged in. :D

Siouxrock-

Please refrain from the stupid remarks...am I supposed to come back with Brad DeFauw or Karl Goehring , whose butt you road all the way to the promised land? I don't think either of us should go there. And, if you watched the NC game, you'll note that Grant had a very average game, save the "swat heard 'round the world." Maybe you also noticed that Johnny Pohl won two huge faceoffs, one for game-tying goal and one for game-winning goal, not to mention a big goal himself. Yes, it's a team sport, but don't start the ND connection thing. I think you know, looking at historical evidence, that it's a battle you'll lose. :D

Yes, Bonin is in the minors. Okay, what if Erik Rasmussen or Jordan Leopold came in as 21-year-old freshmen...now are you happy? The point (for those who can't seem to grasp it) is that older, more mature players with junior-league playing experience are simply better prepared to play college hockey. For the record, Bonin is playing in Europe, not the NHL minors.

lawkota--seems you have a pipeline of inside Gopher information...maybe you could share some more of your insightful wisdom with us? And what point are you making anyway? Are you implying that I don't think Grant is a leader or men, an independent thinker, a contemplative decision maker of grand proportions? Of course I do! Why do you think he chose Minnesota? Apparently the cheers and the uniforms didn't bother him any. :D

lawkota--seems you have a pipeline of inside Gopher information...maybe you could share some more of your insightful wisdom with us?  And what point are you making anyway?  Are you implying that I don't think Grant is a leader or men, an independent thinker, a contemplative decision maker of grand proportions?  Of course I do!  Why do you think he chose Minnesota?  Apparently the cheers and the uniforms didn't bother him any. :D

I don't recall discussing Potulny at all, nor did I claim to have any special insight to the Gopher program. My point is that Bonin would have turned pro early had in come in as an older player - he was that talented.

My other point is that for someone who claims to be "looking forward to the future", you still seem to be dwelling on perceived inequities of the past.

No amount of alcohol could presuade me to cheer for the Gopher hockey team, last year when they won the NCAA I was actually shocked that they actually were able to win it. I thought it was ironic that a Grand Forks native score the clincher. In fact when the game went to overtime I said the Gophers are done, they will lose it for sure. My buddy that I watched the game with sat there just as shocked as I was. Good for them. I liken cheering for the Gophers as if I was cheering for the GB Packers (I am a Viking's Fan). The thought of chearing for the Gophers makes my skin crawl. Sure I have respect for the Gopher program (they ar not to bad (7>4) but I feel no allegiance to other WCHA teams, in fact I would rather see Michigan win the NCAA tourney than SCSU. I will watch as many of the NCAA games as I can even if my team is not in. I love hockey but chear for only one NCAA team. Well occassionally I go to the Glas in Bemidji and watch the BSU Beavers play. The Fighting Sioux is my team.

I remember talking to a Gopher fan about this last weekend, I have two degrees from UND and there is no way I would ever change my allegiance, this past weekend I drank beer with a SCSU grad that was a Gopher fan.

I like the UofM football team though. If I liked Basketball I would cheer for the Gophers in BB. I did even got to go to a Golden Gopher football game in the dome. It must have been 10 years now because Alstott was still playing for Purdue. It was fun. That cannon they shoot off after the Gophers score is really loud.

Go Sioux. I just hope they have a chance to end the Dirty Gophers season. Nothing would be sweeter...

If you want to be the NCAA champions you have to be able to be the good teams...

Dave & Goon - Great posts gentlemen. Very thoughtful and intersting. To me, it always comes down to the game being bigger than the rivalries. I feel as long as I remember this, I can keep the rest in perspective. I don't care who does or doesn't cheer for MN or UND or any other team, just don't forget they game is the key.

Goon - You'd rather see U-MI win a NCAA game than JBSU. Way to go waaaaaay out on that limb! :D

lawkota & MinnesotaNorthStar-

The point I'm making about an older incoming freshman is in response to someone's?

reference to the Woog years, implying that he was a loser over his coaching tenure. Woog recruited true freshman almost exclusively. This made it much harder to compete against older, more mature players throughout the league. Yes, I know Rass left after his Sophmore season and maybe Bonin would have left early had he been older, maybe not. It doesn't matter. My point is the same regardless of who left when. Perhaps in giving an example, I only confused everyone. It's about the ages of incoming players. Look around the league today. Incoming freshman who are 19 or 20 simply contribute more, and that's why the Wooger had trouble winning championships (though he almost did it in '89 and threatened other years with very young teams)....and if anybody bothered noticing, I've done nothing to criticize the Sioux program or any program...I'll leave that to Sioux 11. He doesn't seem to vent his frustration in an intelligible manner, so he simply "hates."

Speaking of ages, Minnesota is the youngest average age team in the WCHA. The future looks bright. If I'm not mistaken, the Sioux are also young. Looks like a nice rivalry over the next few years. :D

Sounds like most of the WCHA has good young players. WCHA is going to be fun to watch(not like it ever wasn't fun to watch). I was impressed with the Freshman of Duluth this year, Reichmuth is gonna suck to see against the Sioux for a few more years if this year is any indication. Future definitely looks bright in the conference. I envision the day of an WCHA Frozen Four :D

Some believe the Wooger got lazy recruiting in his last few years...the team had average performances. However, he recruited Taffe, Leopold, Pohl et. al. who were all a big part of last year's NC run. When Lucia took over he played out the string of average players through graduation, such as Dylan Mills, Dave Spehar, Mike Lyons and Nate Miller (though, my gosh, did he have a big heart). Once some of Lucia's recruits came up things started to click.

It appears ND had a similar experience with Blais, who is a great coach. I've often thought Blais has the tempement and style of an NHL coach. What ever happened to Gino? Was he fired? If so, why?

What ever happened to Gino? Was he fired? If so, why?

Because of a power struggle between then athletic director Terry Wanless. It is not a coincidence that Wanless is no longer at UND. We got lucky with Blaise... it could have been very, very, bad.

I would just like to say that I dont ever want to hear Sioux fans talk about Gopher cheers again. The ONLY cheer I heard from the Sioux today was "Let's Go Sioux". It was borderline SCCC the way you said that to EVERYTHING! I laughed though when Ferris countered with F-S-U :D

Oh and as for spelling Minnesota...I could have swore I heard the Sioux spell a few words today as well...very interesting :D

As for the game, I felt it seemed your players felt that at anytime they could score. It almost seemed like they were just waiting for that one big goal or thundering check to get going. It never quite happened and when Siembida gave up the goal in the 3rd it all but killed your squad.

Congrats on a fine season, next year can only be better :D

Handyman- go away and post your opinions on Pee-on-ice. :D

Aww did I hurt your widdle feewings? I am so sorry that I dare say how Sioux fans are repititious with their cheers in response to some good natured ribbing from you guys! I didnt realize your skin was so thin...my bad! :D