SiouxSports.com Forum

Goophers

sioux_11

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By 2010 the University of Minnesota will have at least as many banners as UND. Mark my words.

If this is going to be the case, which it clearly will not be, then I suggest that the powers that be in the Gopher fiefdom (and I do mean fiefdom) get working on teaching the crowd on how to count to ten. Gopher fans have been working for years on how to spell "M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A", and learning that it is indeed a word of four syllables. Now that they appear to have mastered spelling, they had better get to work on a count, because by 2010, the Sioux will likely have ten banners by then.

Banners ain't easy to come by my boys and girls. Besides, wouldn't surprise me a lick if it is soon uncovered that Lucia's staff was taking Adam Houser's spelling tests, and that the 2003 banner will be stripped from the arena, ala Clem Haskins and all of the crooks across the street in Williams Arena.

Gophers looked really beatable yesterday in the last half of the game. Funny thing about Gopher fans, at least a number of those in the building around me, they turn on their boys in a second, and they start piddling and a moaning at the first hint of trouble.

I was really hoping that Ferris State would have at least closed the gap to a goal, so that I could hear the sound of 9,000 sphincters slamming shut at the same time. Oh, wait, make that 8,000 sphincters. In a region of 4+ million folk, and with the defending national champions playing their last game of the season at home, the so-called Gopher faithful could not even break away from their Sunday afternoon chip-n-dip fests to fill their crackerjack box arena.

So much for tradition. So much for fan support. They ain't even fair weather fans!

This having been said, I did meet a handful of genuinely knowledgeable, and courteous, Gopher fans in the building. They was mostly women in their sixties, arms clutched mostly to the thirty-something beer swilling guys popping out of their jerseys, who constitute the majority of the fan base.

Go CC. Go Michigan. I cain't cheer for the East, unless they become our last clear chance of sending Lucia to the barbershop early.

I dont know what fans live in the past more, UND fans or Green Bay Packer Fans.

Anybody else find it ironic that bert lambasts Sioux fans for living in the past while he continuously runs a clip of the Gopher championship goal from LAST SEASON!!!

BTW, bert and KGB are using the same clip. Does anybody else think they are also sharing a brain? :huh:

Greyeagle, I know you know bert and KGB. Although it is clearly not your responsibility, would it possible for you to have a talk with your boys and encourage them to be a bit more respectful on this board.

I was at the Regional in Minneapolis this weekend, and it reinforced why many Sioux fans hate the Gopher fans. Most of the Gopher fans cheered for Ferris State. Additionally, when the St. Cloud score was announced, the Gopher fans cheered the fact that St. Cloud was losing. I have not seen that from fans of other WCHA teams.

I have been to 3 national championships and 4 regional NCAA tournaments. [For you Gopher fans, the Sioux won all 3 in 1987, 1997 and 2000---The Gophers won none from 1979 until last year]. The vast majority of fans from Wisconsin, Colorado College and other WCHA schools cheer for the other teams from the WCHA. The one exception has always been the Gopher fans. It is pathetic.

It is also pathetic when a bunch of Gopher fans inundate the Sioux message board to talk trash and spew the same nonsense and spin that idiots like Sid Hartman have always advanced and is now being advanced by people like Jeff Dubay and Happy and some of the posters on this board who apparently have time off from their pizza delivery jobs. For those of you who continue to believe that the Gophers did not win in the past because they had 18 year olds and the Sioux had game-experienced 21 year olds, please look at the old programs. Dan Woog and Steve DeBus were the 2 oldest players in the WCHA. By contrast, the Sioux had 18 year olds on their roster such as Brad DeFauw, Peter Armbrust, Jeff Ulmer, Jason Ulmer and Trevor Hammer. Please do not let the facts get in the way of your opinions based solely on pride and arrogance.

That is why my 2nd favorite team is whoever is playing the Gophers and I hope that any team from any conference beats them, even if it means that Michigan gets Number 10. The Gophers will not catch up with the Sioux in National Titles in my lifetime or any of yours, only in excuses for why they have less titles.

That's KBG and Bert's style. I am a Gopher fan, and I like to check out all the other teams boards to see what the talk is out there . They(KBG and Bert) like to go to other sites and rub it in other fans faces,and when 1 posts, the other is not far behind. My feeling is that when you are on another teams board, be respectful or shut up.

Although I love their passion for the Gophers, I don't always agree with their actions.

I repected you the other day, but after your post here, you seem to be just another Gopher hating, pissed of UND fan who will be hoping for a chance next year instead of living it this year... :huh:

Again, I am done, you and I would/will never agree it seems...

WPoS

What you don't seem to understand is that no one here gives a tinker's damn whether you respect us or not. To be honest, I usually enjoy the postings of most of the Gopher fans that visit this board. With that said, why do you feel compelled to come over to a Sioux board and defend the Gophers? You should be basking in the glory of another Frozen Four appearance.

This explains why most of the fans in the league can't stand you. It's not the coaches and players (Lucia seems like a class act, and the players I've seen on the Sunday night shows seem like good kids), it's fans like you. I figured that given your success this weekend, you could bite your tongue and keep garbage like this off this board. That was too much to ask.

Could you GUESTS (TC, KBG, bert) follow Greyeagle's lead and show a little respect here?! So people bag on the Gophers. What do you expect on a Sioux board? Go back to POI and bag on the Sioux there.

Where have I shown any disrespect? Just because I'm not brainwashed into thinking that the Sioux having 7 banners means they are the best hockey team in the Nation--even if they barely muster a top-5 finish in the conference--doesn't mena I'm being disrespectful.

And Greyeagle isn't respectful, he's a cowardly suck-up who tries to make everyone happy. Choose a side, GE!! :blush::huh:

I'll take an "cracker-box" arena over some high priced, Vegas styled hole in the ground paid for by some biggoted smuck anyday...'nuf said there.

WPoS:

I love you. You seem to be an intelligent source. I am largely done licking my wounds. Do not, however, take a shot at Ralph Engelstad. He was a big and kind hearted man, the likes of which Minnesota has never seen in its group of boosters. If Slippery Sid could get some of his jewel-laden friends to cough up even a small fraction of their fortunes for the public good, in any arena, maybe we wouldn't have to listen to the Gopher footballers cry for money for a new campus stadium.

Ralph gave millions to UND, his hometown, churches and small towns throughout the land, and to the handicapped, singlehandedly buying thousands of wheelchairs for those in need. His enterprise employed countless handicapped, and his loyalty to tradition and history are unsurpassed.

So don't give me this narrow-minded, envy filled, biggotry scat. You know better than that. Nothing wrong with having the balls to fight for a school nickname that is both proud and right. If you are referring to the Hitler Party from years past, well, that was some bad advice from a PR firm to commemorate Ralph's purchase of the largest collection of WWII vehicles, including those owned by the Third Reich.

One mistake in an otherwise life filled with philanthropic gestures on many fronts.

Sid and his buddies have made many, many mistakes in living their otherwise niggardly lives.

Look it up before you jump on me for being a biggot. It's spelled N-I-G-G-A-R-D.

Synonymns include Sid Hartman, Irwin Jacobs, Carl Pohlad, and the rest of the Minneapolis so-called "power brokers" and "M-Club" Members.

Stop putting the snout in the public trough and build some alumni financial support, and athletic programs that are capable of being self-sustaining.

This having been said, I still love you, despite the brown and yellow stains in your life.

:huh:

OK here's the deal... This Gopher bashing and counter Sioux bashing is starting to piss me off. I am a Sioux fan and as a prerequisite of that I don't like the gophers. But its time for a reality check, the Sioux got beat (or beat themselves) by a team that the Gophers beat down the next day. The Sioux are going home while the Gophers are going to Buffalo. (Don't be too excited, Ive been to Buffalo, it kinda sucks :blush:) The Sioux took the best first half ever, and pissed it away, while the Gophers seem to be peaking at the right time.

I know people who are Sioux fans, and I know Gopher fans, and I even know Gopher fans who became Sioux fans after coming to UND (Born Again SiouxFans :() Of those people some are my friends and some are @$$es, but that goes as a constant thoughout society, there are Cool people and there are @$$es. Its Just the way it is. I dont think the state of Minnesota is chock full of @$$holes simply becuase the girl at the Cenex in Fergus Falls tried to over charge me for my tank of gas.

So just some Sioux fans went to a gopher game and some gopher fans went to the Ralph and were heckled a little doesnt speak for the fan base as a whole. Ive been to away games and St. Cloud, Duluth and Mankato and each place there were fans that were asses and fans that were cool, thats universal. So lets stop this BS about the other teams. This is pissing me off. I consider myself a hockey fan, I have my team (the Sioux) but I can still appreciate a well played game even if it is the Gophers.

So lets all take a step back, relax, and stop the insults lets talk about hockey. :huh:

WoPS,

Funny how you keep referring to Sioux fans as thin skinned yet continue to take offense to anything anti Rodent. Your team won. Shouldn't you be down at Wal-Mart waiting in line to purchase one of Woog's Three Peat t-shirts? "High priced Vegas style hole in the ground paid for by some biggoted Vegas smuck". First of all, it's never classy to diss a guy who's dead. Second, check your facts. You judge a man by one mistake that he paid for. The guy did a tremedous amount to help those less fortunate, he just didn't feel the need to blow his own horn. Read something other than the sports, the comics and the K-Mart sale flyer. Show some class and enjoy living in the present. Long dry spell between 1979 and 2002. As for us Sioux fans - - we'll wait until next year when 11,000+ of us pile into that big whole in the ground each weekend because we have nothing better to do than watch hockey played by the best program in the country.

Go CC.

I agree wholeheartedly, Flatspin7. This place is starting to remind me of USCHO, and the whining about favortism, chippy play, lucky shots, bad ice, bad reffing, bad karma, etc. from Sioux "fans" is pretty damn embarassing. :huh:

No team has a monopoly of good or bad fans, every program has its share of each. The gophers got to where they are because they took care of business on the ice, where it matters, and our guys are cleaning their golf clubs because they didn't. Hopefully, our guys hated the ending of their season so much they work just that much harder to get to Boston next April.

7>4

Now that is funny. You got it right. Great game right now between Cornell and BC. CC-Wolves next. These cauldrons, unlike the Gophers' cakewalks over the weekend, will serve the Gophers' next opponents well.

Long live Engelstad, his legacy, his largesse, his love, his classy arena, and his legend.

'Nuf said. Gophers. Go wash the yellow and brown from your souls.

It sucks to go down when we did. I would have loved to see the Sioux go to Buffalo, but that didnt happen. And frankly (nobody shoot me for saying this) I don't know if we could have beaten the gophers the way they are playing right now. Ferris State played UND very solidly, and they won, but then the gophers schooled them in the first period..

But remeber that last year out team was mostly freshman and we didnt make the tourney. This year we still had our problems and we ended up a 3 seed. Next year all of those freshman from last year will be juniors. Bochenski will have another year, Parise will be better and will be getting some great recruits and hopefully a championship goaltender. This team has a lot of potential! Next year (assuming no one leaves early) we will have a very experianced and up and coming team that will be very dangerous! The only down side is that it looks like the Gophers wont loose a lot of players. The Gophers are only graduating Roberg, Anthony and DiMarchi, but they have a lot of drafted players who might sign a contract.

CC is letting go a bunch of critical players on that team, they are loosing Jason Josza, Joe Cullen, Noah Clarke, James Laux, and Tom Preissing. The loss of Cullen, Clarke and Preissing really hurts CC and they might be a more beatable team next year.

Mankato is going to be good next year they are only loosing, Runkel, Joe Bourne and B.J. Abel. Those are good players but they still have the Shane Joseph/ Grant Stevenson combo, and that is still deadly.

Denver is loosing so peak talent, Dubie, Jason Grahame, JJ Hartman, Matt Weber, Greg Barber, Aaron MacKenzie, and Kevin Doell are goners. They may be hurting.

Next season is a ways off so lets relax and be positive and Have a nice day :huh:

Wow, imagined if the Sioux and Gophers had actually played a game? :huh:

I'm not a UND fan, but I certainly respect the program and it success. UND, UW and MN fans need to look at it this way: When you get into a discussion (read - arguement) with some rube from the east it's always nice to throw UND's 7 titles and UW's 5 titles, & MN's 4 titles at them.

I look forward to some epic MN-UND battles next year and it would not surprise me if both MN & UND grabbed a top regional seed next year.

WPoS:

I love you. You seem to be an intelligent source. I am largely done licking my wounds. Do not, however, take a shot at Ralph Engelstad. He was a big and kind hearted man, the likes of which Minnesota has never seen in its group of boosters. If Slippery Sid could get some of his jewel-laden friends to cough up even a small fraction of their fortunes for the public good, in any arena, maybe we wouldn't have to listen to the Gopher footballers cry for money for a new campus stadium.

One mistake in an otherwise life filled with philanthropic gestures on many fronts.

Sid and his buddies have made many, many mistakes in living their otherwise niggardly lives.

Look it up before you jump on me for being a biggot. It's spelled N-I-G-G-A-R-D.

Synonymns include Sid Hartman, Irwin Jacobs, Carl Pohlad, and the rest of the Minneapolis so-called "power brokers" and "M-Club" Members.

Stop putting the snout in the public trough and build some alumni financial support, and athletic programs that are capable of being self-sustaining.

This having been said, I still love you, despite the brown and yellow stains in your life.

:huh:

NorthDakotaHockey,

I appologize to you for the Ralph comment, yes it was out of line, SORRY, but I am appologizing to you, goon, diagies and a few others only. You guys seem to be the only UND fans who can stomach Gopher fans on this board. People like you guys are always welcome any day over at POI to talk UND vs Gopher hockey as you seem to be able to keep a level head.

as for Sid, you can have him, never have defended him and never will, I hope he leaves and leaves soon. He is a stain on the Country as a whole. 99% of Gopher HOCKEY fans would agree w/ me.

Beyond that, I am pretty much going to give up on this board, I thought I may be able to have some fun with "fans" from other teams, but I guess I was wrong, as close minded as other can be ( I have tried to keep the nose relatively clean), I never slammed your team for losing, and I never tried to be a "bad" fan, but with fans on your board like siouxrock and sprig, you will never have many visitors willing to suck up and not say ANYTHING controversial on here w/o getting jumped on and getting the cold shoulder of death. I never expected to be loved, but I also didn't expect the sheer volume of outright hate towards 99% of Gopher fans (Greyeagle seems to be the ONLY well accepted Gopher fan here). The experience I had while here is as bad if not outrightly worse than the whole u2bad1 issue w/ POI. If he thought POI was bad, I would have to say this place can be worse w/ some exceptions. Some of the people here are as bad as they espouse others to be, a mirror is a bad thing, sometimes you see what you hate looking back.

So most likely I will say so long and good riddance...now all the "siuoxrocks" and "sprigs" on this board can start to rip on me and say what a "loss" not having a person willing to at least try and be civil is...

I look forward to a great season next year and some hard hitting games against all of the WCHA rivals. UND will always be a great rival and a team that I relish to have our team play, I just won't be as repectfull of their fan base as much anymore.

WPoS

P.S. GO Gophers, at least I hope the REAL WCHA fans will root for us vs the easterners and Michigans of the world....