SiouxSports.com Forum

Goophers

sioux_11

I returned home from the Final Five and after watching the Gophers win the WCHA tournament I just wanted to express my feelings towards the Gophers and their fans. I HATE THEM BOTH!!! I have no other hate for any sports team like I do for the Gophers. They are such idiots.

The Fans

They do the same exact cheers at every game it's as if they are zombies. "That's Debatable", "We always were", and "Thank you (After the announcer says there is 1 minute remaining in the period)" are the stupidest cheers in the world especially when you do them every time you can. The fans are the most arrogant in all of sports. I could talk forever about their unbelieveably stupid "M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A, Sota Sota" cheer. They do it after every goal and at the end of every stinking period.

The Team

They are a bunch of GOONS!!! I can garuantee you that if they didn't have last years Frozen Four tournament in the Twin Cities they would be going on 24 years without a NCAA title instead of winning last years. I could also garuantee if they had this year's WCHA tournament anywhere but the Twin Cities area the Gophers don't win it. Instead they give the Gophers home ice advantage throughout the tournament and there are twice as many Gopher fans as there are fans from the other schools combined. Also, the extremely ugly jerseys they have. As if having the colors maroon and gold isn't bad enough they have about 8 alternate jerseys which are the ugliest in all of college hockey (Yes, even worse than Brown University).

The Gophers run the WCHA. They have the tournament in the Twin Cities every year and they influence the All-WCHA team. How does Parise get on the 3rd team All-WCHA and Vanek on the 2nd team, but Parise is a Hobey Baker candidate and Vanek is not. Because there wasn't any Gopher fans holding a gun to the Hobey Baker committee's head.

I would love for any Gopher fans that belong to this forum to write in and try and prove me wrong.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical sioux fan that can't handle the Gophers being better this season. You are as bad as any packer fan I know, completely obnoxious. Stop whining and be glad you made the tourney, UMD should be there instead of you!

As a Gopher fan, I think you are way out of line, but this is your forum, and you have the right to your opinions. I know I would feel the same way if Wisconsin was in the same position. I hate the BADgers.

Best of luck in the regions.

Wowzers...bitter much son? Don't worry it will all be over for you soon :D

As for the rest of your drivel...it is too funny to respond too. You are right, the Gophs own the WCHA and the Hobey Baker Award...I wont deny it we are just that awesome and powerful ;)

Actually to be serious, Vanek was higher than Parise in WCHA awards cause it is ONLY based on WCHA stats. The mad numbers Zach scored against the CHA dont count in those awards...sorry kid.

THE GREAT WCHA CONSPIRACY IS ALIVE AND WELL...and if you dont like it KISS MY ARROGANT ARSE!!! :)

(for those who's opinions I actually care about, you should know my whole post was tongue in cheek)

Stop whining and be glad you made the tourney, UMD should be there instead of you!

I won't repeat your mistake of generalizing fans of a particular school, and instead say that you specifically have no clue. NCAA hockey is the only NCAA tournament (that I know of) that's completely objective. The math is pretty simply and everyone knows exactly what it takes to make the tournament: a full season of top 16 PWR play. UND did it, UMD didn't.

I was actually just coming back to this board to apologize for lumping all sioux fans together with the guy who started this post. I got a little hot under the collar, but know that's not an excuse. Sorry to all I offended.

Stop whining and be glad you made the tourney, UMD should be there instead of you!

What about St. Cloud State??? Why do THEY deserve to be there instead of us or UMD?? Way to do your research.

We do deserve to make the tourney...and we only played one CHA team...Niagra, Canisius is in the MAAC. As I recall Alabama-Huntsville is CHA also, well so much for that theory

To the Gopher fans, you should know that there was a lot of Green and White cheering FOR Minnesota in the Championship game, myself included (sorry Sioux fans, growing up a Gopher fan, you just can't turn it off because you become a Sioux fan)...however I did not see one Sioux fan doing the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A thing, because lets face it sioux_11 is right it's stupid. But at the same time, I realize that we have our own cheers that other schools find annoying and stupid.

Let's also drop the Parise vs. Vanek ROY controversy...what's done is done

Cripe,

I didn't do any research on sioux versus UMD making the tourney. I just thought UMD is playing much better than the sioux right now and deserve a shot. I know it doesn't work that way!!! I also don't think scsu deserves to go. I'm not the one that made reference to your non-conferernce schedule so don't get on me for that. People are very touchy this evening. The cheers the Gophers do is up to them, I have never been to a sioux game but expect very obnoxious cheers coming from you. Sounds like some can't think of anything else to bitch about so they're picking on our cheers, uniforms etc. That's quite childish.

Typical sioux fan that can't handle the Gophers being better this season. You are as bad as any packer fan I know, completely obnoxious. Stop whining and be glad you made the tourney, UMD should be there instead of you!

I thank you for the comparison to a Packer fan who are some of the most diehard fans in all of sports. God forbid you compare me to the fans of the "great" vikings.

I can't believe you think I am jealous of the Gophers having a better season. I would take a year like Alaska-Anchorage had and be a Sioux fan than be undefeated and a Gopher fan. May I take you back to the years of the great coach Doug Woog. If I can recall your great Gophers won ZERO NCAA championships and the Sioux won 2. We almost snuck a third one in there but apparently 21 years of not winning a national championship was enough and you needed another change.

For those of you that have the time to read this please do.

The Foil

by Scott Brown/Executive Editor

ST. PAUL, Minn.

The Foil

by Scott Brown/Executive Editor

The surest sign of the times might have come during Minnesota's first-round series against Michigan Tech. The public-address announcer relayed another WCHA score: Wisconsin 5, Minnesota State 4, in the third period.

The Mariucci Arena crowd cheered.

Good heavens, ANOTHER sign of the apocalypse - Gophers cheering Badgers? What next?

Good heavens, ANOTHER sign of the apocalypse - Gophers cheering Badgers? What next?

How about me cheering for the Gophers Saturday night? :);) It's not my fault though, blame it on the Gopher fans who got me drunk between games!

It's crazy. As much as I hate the Gophers as a rival, I've never met a Gopher fan that I didn't like, and believe me, I took my fair share of crap this weekend from Gopher fans! It was all in fun though. Althought WPoS is still a jerk. :D

Wow...hate is such a strong word.

I've been to quite a few games in my life and I have to say that our chants and cheers haven't changed all that much over the years either. While we do have the occasional one come and go, many have been around for years...probably to the annoyance of WCHA foes who come to REA year in and year out. Plus, while there are some fans who are a bit obnoxious...likewise could I point out quite a few fans at Sioux games that could use a swift, hard kick in the rear for being complete a**holes at games and on boards.

The team itself has a great tradition...both of winning and not winning (much like the Sioux). Yes they got very excited about winning a National Championship last year and played the card for all it was worth....can hardly blame them.....for crying out loud....they WON the National Championship. If it's at all worth anything for the Sioux to do that even once, why in world wouldn't it be so for the Gophers...no matter how many years came in between. All of the arguments two years ago on USCHO.com between Sioux Fans and BC fans were ridiculous enough...why in the world do they need to be repeated everytime someone else wins after many years of not winning.

Either way you look at it...winning a National Championship is a pretty great accomplishment, even if you aren't a fan of the team. I think that the Gophers had a great year last year and if they win again this year, it's certainly not because they aren't a good team...because they are. I would, of course, rather see the Sioux win it all every year...but there's certainly no reason to get so down on opposing teams and their fans just because they did win and they want to celebrate it. Of course, there are plenty of Gopher fans who maybe went too far in their revelry...but the same can usually be said about a couple of fans for every team that wins.

Let's just try and watch good hockey and hope that the Sioux kick some butt and hopefully if we come across the Gophers, we'll beat the crap out of them...but, if we do get to play them and they beat us, chances are, it will not be because they are no good, or they wear ugly jerseys, or they have the WCHA higher-ups in their pockets. It will be because they played better hockey than us and deserve to go on to the FF.

With that being said..........GO SIOUX!! Let's play hockey!

:);):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

WOW! About all I can say. I guess my is that sioux_11 hasn't been watching college sports for long. You see, while you or he may not like the chants and or cheers some particular school's fans may do, like someone posted from the UND lines, that is called a tradition. Keeping a cheer or chant for the ages and the new fans is what makes a school rich in fandom and keeps continuity going. While new cheers/chants are always good, I hate to tell sioux_11 the the spelling out of M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A, is actually part of the school song type thing. Get over it.

As for the Sioux fans cheering for our squad, thanks! ;) Suprising, but thanks!

Forecheck, while I may still be a jerk, you still wore the beads! :) But no BAT beads for you! As for getting you drunk, c'mon, you did that yourself, we just gave you the beer, you drank it, except for your glorious game of Beer Darts (pictures posted soon)! Good to meet and greet ya, looking forward to the next time we all get to but heads!

Oh, and by the way, UND always belongs in the Final Five before JBSU!

WPoS

I'm not sure that I understand why everyone is jumping down Sioux_11's throat, other than political correctness. I suspect that a great deal of Sioux fans feel the same way, as do Gopher fans about the Sioux. That is why it is called a RIVALRY. Second, it IS a Sioux message board, so I think that he has every right to vent and express his feelings. His statements are pretty tame compared to the flames on the POI board or the USCHO board, or any talk show hosted by the clueless duo of Sid Hartman and Dark Starr, PA and equally clueless Dubay, or anything hosted by Midwest Sports Channel. We have had to put up with excuses about 25 year old Canadians, to relaxed academic standards, to how North Dakota could not field its own team, to the incredible statement by Sid Hartman that it is easier to recruit at a Division II school because we can concentrate on only 1 sport. I respect the Gophers success, but the arrogance and excuses do get old.

If the Gopher fans that visit our board do not like it, go back to POI or USCHO and continue your flamefest there like Happy and Yellowdog and some of the other Gopher fans. I have yet to see any of you jump on those 2 morons for the threads like "The Real Reason North Dakota has Won so Many Championships." Read that thread, and you will know where Sioux_11 is coming from. Until you start jumping on those posters for not representing the views of Gopher fans in general, your comments really have no credibility.

skateshattrick, no denying this is a sioux forum, but I see a few fellow siuox people getting on him/her also. Not too many POI visitors here try to flame intentionally, we try to follow goon's and dagies' approach on POI. I don't think anyone (POIer's) was flaming TOO badly, at least I know I wasn't trying to... :)

WPoS

Wow...hate is such a strong word.

I've been to quite a few games in my life and I have to say that our chants and cheers haven't changed all that much over the years either. While we do have the occasional one come and go, many have been around for years...probably to the annoyance of WCHA foes who come to REA year in and year out. Plus, while there are some fans who are a bit obnoxious...likewise could I point out quite a few fans at Sioux games that could use a swift, hard kick in the rear for being complete a**holes at games and on boards.

The team itself has a great tradition...both of winning and not winning (much like the Sioux). Yes they got very excited about winning a National Championship last year and played the card for all it was worth....can hardly blame them.....for crying out loud....they WON the National Championship. If it's at all worth anything for the Sioux to do that even once, why in world wouldn't it be so for the Gophers...no matter how many years came in between. All of the arguments two years ago on USCHO.com between Sioux Fans and BC fans were ridiculous enough...why in the world do they need to be repeated everytime someone else wins after many years of not winning.

Either way you look at it...winning a National Championship is a pretty great accomplishment, even if you aren't a fan of the team. I think that the Gophers had a great year last year and if they win again this year, it's certainly not because they aren't a good team...because they are. I would, of course, rather see the Sioux win it all every year...but there's certainly no reason to get so down on opposing teams and their fans just because they did win and they want to celebrate it. Of course, there are plenty of Gopher fans who maybe went too far in their revelry...but the same can usually be said about a couple of fans for every team that wins.

Let's just try and watch good hockey and hope that the Sioux kick some butt and hopefully if we come across the Gophers, we'll beat the crap out of them...but, if we do get to play them and they beat us, chances are, it will not be because they are no good, or they wear ugly jerseys, or they have the WCHA higher-ups in their pockets. It will be because they played better hockey than us and deserve to go on to the FF.

With that being said..........GO SIOUX!! Let's play hockey!

:);):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Amen.

skateshattrick- first of all, us Gopher fans do not claim Sid Hartman. We cannot stand the guy. He knows NOTHING about college hockey. Two weeks ago he wrote something to the effect of "the Gophers may end up playing the NCAA Regionals at Mariucci Arena." NO CRAP, we are the host school!!! He's an old moron who knows s*** about hockey but just tries to cover all the sports. Please do not associate him in any way with Gopher hockey.

Secondly...what is Midwest Sports Channel? It's been Fox Sports Net for a couple years now :D:);)

:) No matter who has the better team, the Sioux-gopher games are always very close. Let's hope we get past Ferris, then we can worry about the second round.

Wouldn't it be sweet if we were the ones to knock off the gophers.

We need to hussle!

Watching the gophers this weekend, the reason they did so well, they skated like they were possessed.

Glad to see David is going to play next weekend.