SiouxSports.com Forum

Well, Buning.......

LennonIsTheMan

Sounds like it is going to be up to the UND administration to keep Dale Lennon in Grand Forks. All indications at bobcatnation are saying he will be offered the position (I do however keep in mind the source of the info). What kind of legacy will the current administration want to leave? The one that let Dale Lennon go, or the one that got Dale Lennon to stay? During the transition to Division 1-AA football, he will be the most important cog in the wheel. Time to step up to the plate, Mr. Buning. The ball is in your court.

I posted this on the "Late Friday Afternoon" thread also,but wanted to make sure it didnt get missed.

When UND Fan says it will be interesting to see if UND is doing anything to try to get Lennon to stay, I dont think Lennon would believe anything the athletic director would tell him or rather offer him to get him to stay.

IF HE DOES IN FACT LEAVE UND , HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WILL HAVE PLAYED A KEY PART IN HIS DECISION TO LEAVE. I AM NOT SAYING HE WONT LEAVE ALSO IN PART BECAUSE HE THINKS IT IS A BETTER OPPORTUNITY FOR HIM, BUT ANYONE IN HIS SITUATION WOULD NO DOUBT WAY ALL THE PROS AND CONS, AND IF YOU CANT STAND WORKING FOR OR TRUST THE PERSON YOU WORK FOR, THAT WOULD WEIGH HEAVILY IN YOUR DECISION PROCESS. AND THAT IS IN FACT HIS CURRENT RELATIONSHIP WITH UND'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR!

So taking all things into account it will not be a surprise to see him leave. If he stays it could only be for his love of UND and the football program here.

AND SO EVERYONE IS AWARE THE NEXT COACH IN LINE FOR A SITUATION VERY SIMILAR TO THIS ONE IS HAKSTOL. HE IS IN THE LAST YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT AND HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR IS PROBABLY EVEN WORSE THAN LENNON'S. HAKSTOL IS A MAN OF PRINCIPAL AND HOLDS TRUST AS A KEY PART, AND FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD HIS CURRENT REALTIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR COULD IN FACT CAUSE HIM TO LEAVE.

SO I ASK , WHO SHOULD LEAVE! I THINK THE ANSWER IS CLEAR TO EVERYONE. THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR/POLITICIAN HAS OVERSTAYED HIS WELCOME. PLEASE MR BUNING MOVE ON BEFORE WE LOSE ALL OF OUR GREAT COACHES! HE HAS NO WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH MANY OF HIS COACHES, OTHERS IN HIS DEPARTMENT,AND MANY IN THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION. THE DEPARTMENT IS TOTALLY DISFUNCTIONAL AND AT THE PRESENT TIME WITH UND'S SWITCH TO DIVISION 1 IT IS UNACCEPTABLE! THE CAUSE AND RESPONSIBILITY LIES WITH HIM! MR BUNING DO THE RIGHT THING AND QUIT NOW!

I posted this on the "Late Friday Afternoon" thread also,but wanted to make sure it didnt get missed.

When UND Fan says it will be interesting to see if UND is doing anything to try to get Lennon to stay, I dont think Lennon would believe anything the athletic director would tell him or rather offer him to get him to stay.

IF HE DOES IN FACT LEAVE UND , HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WILL HAVE PLAYED A KEY PART IN HIS DECISION TO LEAVE. I AM NOT SAYING HE WONT LEAVE ALSO IN PART BECAUSE HE THINKS IT IS A BETTER OPPORTUNITY FOR HIM, BUT ANYONE IN HIS SITUATION WOULD NO DOUBT WAY ALL THE PROS AND CONS, AND IF YOU CANT STAND WORKING FOR OR TRUST THE PERSON YOU WORK FOR, THAT WOULD WEIGH HEAVILY IN YOUR DECISION PROCESS. AND THAT IS IN FACT HIS CURRENT RELATIONSHIP WITH UND'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR!

So taking all things into account it will not be a surprise to see him leave. If he stays it could only be for his love of UND and the football program here.

AND SO EVERYONE IS AWARE THE NEXT COACH IN LINE FOR A SITUATION VERY SIMILAR TO THIS ONE IS HAKSTOL. HE IS IN THE LAST YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT AND HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR IS PROBABLY EVEN WORSE THAN LENNON'S. HAKSTOL IS A MAN OF PRINCIPAL AND HOLDS TRUST AS A KEY PART, AND FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD HIS CURRENT REALTIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR COULD IN FACT CAUSE HIM TO LEAVE.

SO I ASK , WHO SHOULD LEAVE! I THINK THE ANSWER IS CLEAR TO EVERYONE. THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR/POLITICIAN HAS OVERSTAYED HIS WELCOME. PLEASE MR BUNING MOVE ON BEFORE WE LOSE ALL OF OUR GREAT COACHES! HE HAS NO WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH MANY OF HIS COACHES, OTHERS IN HIS DEPARTMENT,AND MANY IN THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION. THE DEPARTMENT IS TOTALLY DISFUNCTIONAL AND AT THE PRESENT TIME WITH UND'S SWITCH TO DIVISION 1 IT IS UNACCEPTABLE! THE CAUSE AND RESPONSIBILITY LIES WITH HIM! MR BUNING DO THE RIGHT THING AND QUIT NOW!

Is this how the majority of Sioux fans feel? I was honestly under the impression that Mr. Buning was well liked from most everyone.

I don't know how the majority of Sioux fans feel. I know that there are some people upset that Rob Bollinger didn't get Buning's job, so they think that everything that Buning does is wrong.

Personally, I'm kind of indifferent on the Buning issue. I had no idea that the coaches didn't like him until I read what people have posted on here. And you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, we may never know the real reason that coaches are leaving because it won't become public.

HockeyMom,

your opinion on the whole RB deal is probably somewhat true. however, fs1's post comes with a lot of truth to it as well. most of the sioux fans who are privy to the athletic department situation, i believe, feel the same way as fs1. IMHO, fs1 has the correct scoop on this topic. but of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I guess I would like to know what some of the issues are between the AD and the coaches. What is Buning doing with his power? Holding it over the heads of everyone? Or is it like someone else said where Buning maybe doesn't let the coaches have the extra give that they once had in matters? My thinking might differ if we lose Dale and Hak in the next couple of years, but I think Buning is doing a good job on the public side of the job. Trying to play the bison, pushing for D1, and getting publicity for the university. RT would have drug the program down in some of these key issues if he were to stay. I am not sure what Rob Bollinger would have did, but I think Buning is doing a good job as of now. Maybe a bit later on down the road, I might think differently.

RT would have drug the program down in some of these key issues if he were to stay. I am not sure what Rob Bollinger would have did, but I think Buning is doing a good job as of now.

This is hilarious....If either Roger Thomas or Rob Bollinger were the AD, we would not be entertaining the possibility of losing Dale Lennon....

I believe that UND athletics as a whole are better and more popular than ever. And last I checked hakstol and lennon are still here, and we are more competitive than ever across the board for all sports. The way some of you are talking about Mr. Buning "overstaying his welcome" and "Just quit before all our good coaches leave" is completely jumping to conclusions. Lennon hasnt even gone anywhere and we are starting the Buning hate mail. There are plenty more reasons than just not liking Buning. One is money, two is its a bigger football program and maybe he wants a change or who knows. As a very big sioux athletics fan I must say that Buning in my opinion has done a good job so far. And have no reason to think otherwise at this point. So i guess what im trying to say is we all need to just settle down a little bit. Nothing remotely bad has happened yet and hopefully won't.

Just because your FB coach may head to Bozeman does not mean your AD sucks. Geez......give him a break. He seems to be a pretty decent AD..... ;)

I agree. Being the AD is not a popularity contest. I'm sure it is quite the juggling act with the scheduling, budget and all the personalities that go along with it. Think about your own workplace. Do you get along with everyone? Do you think that your boss is always right? Until I hear that Buning is blatantly doing something to drive people away, I'm in the Buning camp.

This is hilarious....If either Roger Thomas or Rob Bollinger were the AD, we would not be entertaining the possibility of losing Dale Lennon....

I think that statement is hilarious. ;) Regardless of who the AD is, Lennon (or any coach) would most likely be very interested if a job opportunity came along like this. Lennon is a great coach, even if he does stay (and I hope to God he does) he will receive other attractive job offers in the future, and eventually he will be offered one he won't pass up.

I have met the AD on several occasions at Sioux athletic contests and he seems to be a great guy. As a former Sioux athlete he is seems to have more interest than I remember Carl Miller having when I was there. I am currently a coach and from what I've seen so far, I'm in the Buning camp too. Still hope Dale stays but I know him too, was on the same team as him and he will follow his heart and dreams.

Interesting

Footballscoop.com, a coaching Web site that I've found to be rather reliable over the last couple of of years, is reporting Dale Lennon was offered the Montana State head football position today. I'm getting reliable information that the report is accurate and that he is going to spend the weekend thinking it over.

MSU athletic director Peter Fields told the Bozeman Daily Chronicle newspaper that he hopes to call a press conference by Monday. Lennon may well be the top choice now that Carroll College (Mont.) head coach Mike Van Diest withdrew from consideration, according to the Helena Independent Record newspaper.

It's still iffy on whether Lennon would accept the job. He's got a strong bond to UND that will be hard to break. It's doubtful anything will happen with this story until Monday.

University of North Dakota head football coach Dale Lennon is in Bozeman, Mont., today interviewing for the head position at Montana State. The fact Lennon is there raises a couple of red flags.

For one, the timing -- at the beginning of summer when next year's recruiting class is beginning to take shape -- isn't very good. For another, is there something at UND that Lennon doesn't like?

UND is moving into the same division as the Bobcats. The pay can't be that much of a separation. Maybe he's tired of battling hockey. Maybe he doesn't get along with the A.D. Maybe the thought of reclassification doesn't thrill him. All we can do is speculate. But the fact Lennon is looking for a job in the same FCS is at the least curious. Montana State isn't a bad job but it isn't the University of Montana, either.

Then again, Lennon is a cowboy-kind of guy. Maybe he likes the mountains and simply wants to live in Bozeman. There's nothing wrong with that.

Something Wrong, maybe it is the AD...

Interesting

Something Wrong, maybe it is the AD...

And then again, maybe nothing is wrong. They came to Lennon and asked him. He did not go to them, from what I have heard. In business if someone approaches you about an opportunity elsewhere, you generally listen, see what they have to say and offer, and then decide. We just heard of a college coach going pro, and then 24 hours later changing his mind. Evidently nothing was wrong when he made the initial jump. We tend to think that people we admire are perfect in their knowledge and decisionmaking. They are human just as much as anyone else. Lennon could just be considering an opportunity that came along. But, on the other hand . . .

And I will state that I don't know what goes on in the athletic department. But I have attended functions, fan gatherings at the Frozen Four, and other functions where Buning has been. For someone with no prior UND exposure, he is as enthusiastic as they get for UND sports. More than I have seen from past ADs.

Standby for Monday.

As fans, sometimes we simply lose sight of the attractiveness of other opportunities because we get myopic about our own loyalties. Is it possible that the MSU job is worth taking, even if Lennon had a good relationship with everyone at UND? We don't necessarily have to list a bunch of 'cons' about Lennon at UND to justify the 'pros' about MSU.

Take this to the bank. Lennon and the other coaches are not happy with Buning. His inability to communicate, lack of consistency, lack of leadership and immaturaty are the primary reasons. If you somehow don't believe this to be true, talk to the coaches yourself. They will likely not comment if they don't know and trust you, but the fact that their answer will not be a resounding vote of confidence should make if clear to even the biggest skeptic that there is a problem. None of this has anything to do with Thomas or Bollinger. The D1 momentum was in place long before Buning arrived. It was not Buning that was the impetus. It was only after President Kupchella got on board that things began moving. The work of Dan Maritinson who moved to Grand Forks from the west coast to get these things done and his working with other UND alumni and the president was what made the difference.

I will tell you I did not care much for a lot of things Kupchella was doing early in the presidency. The issues with the Med School, Engelstad, the first management group of the REA etc. were bothersome. He handled it in his own way and as his tenure comes to a close the results speak volumes. I also thought Buning would be OK. I haven't had to work with him. I don't know of any Alumni who have become new big time donors because of him. His relationship with the coaches is terrible. If it is one coach, and the rest get along well with him and respect him, then I would say that coach may need to move on. If it is multiple coahces especially gentlemen like Dale Lennon and Hakstol who have been successful and are highly respected then maybe it is the AD. I believe you can include Roebuck in the group that is considering moving on because of Buning but I haven't spoken with him. A lot of people who felt he was OK have changed their minds after working with him.

For those who were so high on a West Point grad, I will submit to you that any West Point grad who spent 20 years in the Army, and served in combat and retires as an LTC. had not been recognized by the military a one of the best. That should have been a red flag. One of the staff from the West Point (Army) athletic department claimed UND did not ask call them about him and he would not ahve received a resounding ercommendation from them.

I will tell you this. If he stays and Lennon, Hakstol and or Roebuck leave, UND will lose a lot of support from the Alumni who have been willing to increase donations to help with the D1 move. We can't afford to have a controversy at a time like this. The FB team had a good chance to take a run at one more D2 title in the fall and had a great recruiting year. The WBB and hockey teams are also going to be contenders for national championships again next year and had good recruiting years.

It is a lot easier to relace an average AD than it is to relace excellent coaches who have been loyal to UND for years.

How much clout do the boosters hold? If all of the coaches are unhappy, would we not be seeing some pressure put on the Athletic Department? So far I have heard nothing about Buning's work until this situation. If things are as bad as they sound, I would think the boosters, being loyal to the coaches and the programs, would be pressuring Kupchella to make a move. The fact that I have heard nill coming from anyone makes me have my doubts. It is far easier to replace an average AD than replace good, loyal coaches. If his skills are lacking, than by all means let him go. If it is an issue over control, however, you can't fault a man for doing his job.

How much clout do the boosters hold? If all of the coaches are unhappy, would we not be seeing some pressure put on the Athletic Department? So far I have heard nothing about Buning's work until this situation. If things are as bad as they sound, I would think the boosters, being loyal to the coaches and the programs, would be pressuring Kupchella to make a move. The fact that I have heard nill coming from anyone makes me have my doubts. It is far easier to replace an average AD than replace good, loyal coaches. If his skills are lacking, than by all means let him go. If it is an issue over control, however, you can't fault a man for doing his job.

There is pressure. Hopefully you won't see it. No reason to air dirty laundry in public but I guess this is a public forum. As I mentioned in another post, I was just told by a very reliable source Dale is staying. Someone either needs to start mentoring Buning or move him along.

For those who were so high on a West Point grad, I will submit to you that any West Point grad who spent 20 years in the Army, and served in combat and retires as an LTC. had not been recognized by the military a one of the best. That should have been a red flag. One of the staff from the West Point (Army) athletic department claimed UND did not ask call them about him and he would not ahve received a resounding ercommendation from them.

Good point IraMurphy...

He should have made Full Bird Col or General in that time...

There is pressure. Hopefully you won't see it. No reason to air dirty laundry in public but I guess this is a public forum. As I mentioned in another post, I was just told by a very reliable source Dale is staying. Someone either needs to start mentoring Buning or move him along.

Glad to know it. I am reluctant to fully jump on either side, but for the sake of the program and the university, I hope both sides can figure out a way to continue the growth of UND. I would hate to see all of the recent strides made go for nothing.

Glad to know it. I am reluctant to fully jump on either side, but for the sake of the program and the university, I hope both sides can figure out a way to continue the growth of UND. I would hate to see all of the recent strides made go for nothing.

Well said.

I really wish people who were suggesting that Buning has something to do with Lennon leaving, would actually say what it is that Buning is doing. That would be nice.

A very good question indeed. In that same thought: Is Buning doing what is expected of him by "300 Twamley"?