SiouxSports.com Forum

The Brian Lee and Joe Finley Fan Club

siouxnami

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SIouxnami for posting this.

I don't think Finley nor Lee are the "perfect" defenseman. I know they've made mistakes. But I am tired of hearing how they have been the cause of so much of the dark times during the seasons they have participated in with the Sioux. And Fetch talks about hype out of high school and I agree. There was a lot of hype about them coming out of High School. Unlike many detractors, I didn't put all my weight in their abilities based upon the hype. I put all my weight in their ability based upon potential. I mean... Hey, not all 16 or 17 year olds are Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkins. Not every 6'3" defenseman is a Matt Greene. Funny how MANY detractors seem to think that draft position and hype determine how good players should be and, when they aren't at their full potential right away they start throwing stones at them or, in the case of Finley, have idiots calling for their teams to sign them away.

If we really did want results RIGHT away then we're losing the fact that we are a collegiate team and NOT the NHL. They grow here. They learn to use their skills to fit the system. Brian Lee and Joe Finley have been here two seasons and have learned TWO systems: One molded by Berry and one molded by whomever took over that duty once Berry moved on. Maybe there is some consistency that is required in the system that may help Brian? Joe has already shown TREMENDOUS growth in his two years.

One thing for Lee detractors: Maybe Chuck Schwartz can clarify things, but... it looks like we're getting another Brian Lee in Derrick LaPoint. Big defenseman, huge offensive upside, not the stay at home type. So my question for Lee detractors is this: Do we wait for him to play a year or should we dispense with the waiting game and start throwing stones now? Seriously, it's going to happen since their games seem so similar... But I guess we'll be harsher on Derrick because he's had a year or two in the USHL and should automatically know how to play good D because of it?

Look at that last paragraph and ask: Does that even sound SANE? Yet that's exactly the type of rationale that's being thrown out in all of those negative posts about these two. Maybe we need to take a step back and realize that they aren't perfect and that hype and draft position don't apply to reality. Especially draft position. Draft position is only for NHL teams. It has no bearing on college otherwise players like Wheeler would absolutely tear the college ranks to shreds. Even EJ didn't tear up college as much as one drafted in the same position as the likes of Crosby would expect.

Not all detractors are "haters" but it seems like the "haters" drown out the detractors on a regular basis. It's time for them to take a step back and see the game as a team sport. We win as a team. We lose as a team. We're not UW. We don't rely on 1 or 2 goals to win games.

Nicely said Redwing.

One tough thing about Lee and Finley is that they were expected to take a pretty big role on as Freshman. With only one upper classman (Smaby) you're going to be put into a lot of tough situations.

I'm pretty sure that those guys will have great junior years as they put everything together.

I'd be willing to bet that some of the boys' critic's will be standing in line to get autograph's from these guy's tonight. Like I said before, they'll sign them all and be cordial, and they'll pose for pictures with your kids for your dumb Christmas cards, and everyone will pretend life is wonderful. Hypocrits.

I would love to have Lee and Finley back next year along with one other guy. :D

I think that a lot of people don't see Lee as a solid offensive defenseman because he's not putting up huge points, but he's very fluid with the puck and a great passer.

What's your definition of putting up huge points for a defenseman?

Lee's Numbers are 4 goals, 23 assists for 27 points his 1st year.

Lee's Numbers are 2 goals, 24 assists for 26 points his 2nd year.

What's wrong with those? I feel that people don't like him because he's not a physical defenseman like we've had in the past. I know that that has been said over and over, but it's the truth.

He's not a bruiser. And that's fine with me.

One tough thing about Lee and Finley is that they were expected to take a pretty big role on as Freshman. With only one upper classman (Smaby) you're going to be put into a lot of tough situations.

I'm pretty sure that those guys will have great junior years as they put everything together.

This was an icredibly young freshman team. To expect anyone of them to take on huge role as freshman was insane!! I hope that they stay because I truly believe that as Juniors and Seniors they will prove all you naysayers wrong!!

This fan base has criticized every single player including the DOT line. Finley and Lee are two that were singled out and raked across the coals on a regular basis, deserved or not!

We should refrain from making judgements on our players' character based on 'what somebody told me about him, his family, mom, dad, etc.'.

I'd be willing to bet that some of the boys' critic's will be standing in line to get autograph's from these guy's tonight. Like I said before, they'll sign them all and be cordial, and they'll pose for pictures with your kids for your dumb Christmas cards, and everyone will pretend life is wonderful. Hypocrits.

Why can you take shots at fans that dont like lee, but then they cant even say a bad word at all about lee without gettin lynched?

HYPOCRIT?

Why can you take shots at fans that dont like lee, but then they cant even say a bad word at all about lee without gettin lynched?

HYPOCRIT?

Well if you think that criticizing other fans on a message board is on the same level as criticizing the players we all cheer for, than you might be a little messed up. :D

Edited for clarification

Well if you think that criticizing other fans on a message board is on the same level as criticizing the players we all cheer for, than you might be a little messed up. :D

My point is, I wouldn't say anything on this board that I wouldn't say to someone's face, fan or player. If you think that is messed up, well.... maybe take a look at yourself.

Hey Sappy is the THETRIOUXPER's bite as bad as his bark ?

I bet he is alot like Ole

Ole's Diet

Ole was terribly overweight, so his doctor put him on a diet.

The doctor said, "I want you to eat regularly for two days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for two weeks. The next time I see you, you should have lost at least 5 pounds."

When Ole returned, he shocked the doctor by having lost nearly 60 POUNDS!

"Why, that's amazing!" the doctor said, "Did you follow my instructions?"

Ole nodded...

"Ya, but I tell you, I taut I vud drop dead dat 3rd day!"

"From hunger, you mean?" asked the doctor.

"No, da hunger vas one ting, but vat really got to me was all dat skippin'!" :D

Hey, when did I ever say I didn't like you? I just get tired of all these assholes bashing players for no particular reason.

I agree. Scapegoating is just petty in a team sport. Then again, when a fan points at a single player and says that Player A is the reason why we lost it just makes him look silly. I mean, does Player A look bad if we would have played better offensively? Would Player A still look bad if Goalie had stopped that weak goal? Sorry, but in a team sport, you can't blame ONE player for the loss. It just doesn't work that way.

Also, I love the "I'm not blaming him for the loss but" routine... Aren't you? Why would you pick that out of all the other mistakes if you weren't?

Sioux-cia: I don't recall many here picking on the DOT line at all. When Oshie couldn't hit the broad side of a barn early in the season, no one was really caring. Even I called it being "snake bitten." Sorry, but that's another thing that gets my goat. Certain players on this team get free passes while others do not. I've seen Chorney, Bina, Oshie, Toews, Duncan, Fabian, and the like make some REALLY dumb mistakes yet no one really says much, but if Lee or Finley make those mistakes, we are ALL over them. Sorry, this isn't kosher to me.

My point is, I wouldn't say anything on this board that I wouldn't say to someone's face, fan or player. If you think that is messed up, well.... maybe take a look at yourself.

In all seriousness, I CAN vouch for thetriouxper on this one. Honest man. Opinionated, but honest and straightforward.