SiouxSports.com Forum

The Brian Lee and Joe Finley Fan Club

siouxnami

It's time to give these deserving players some love. We know that players and those close to them sometimes read this board, so getting a fair representation of what the fans think should be important.

Joe Finley, as he did almost all season led the Sioux in +/- with a +19, better than any other player including the DOT line members. This is because he played an intelligent positional game. We as fans don't have the right to insist what type of player Finley is. While he made some big hits, his outstanding positioning is what made him so valuable and so able to stop the other team. Further towards the end of the season we saw him crashing the net like a scorer. His slap shot is something to be feared. All he accomplished he had to do while having absolutely bogus penalties called.

Brian Lee is the offensive defensman that the Sioux are very fortunate to have. When you look at his scoring totals from his first 2 seasons you realize just how outstanding he has been. When you list the players that have scored more points you realize that they are among the greatest defensemen in Sioux history. I can't remember the Sioux powerplay being better than it has been recently and Lee is a big part of that. We are lucky to have him.

Too much crap has been posted about these players and for some reason it just keeps coming. A number of true fans such as Redwing and myself have continually pointed out the contributions these players have made. Yet certain posters continue to pile on. What I have realized is that many of these posters have never said anything positive and rarely post. I also believe some to actually be fans of opposing teams just looking to pile on. Further, the true fans, those that traveled to St. Louis, Denver, an Minneapolis overwhelmingly respect these players for their contributions, but some insist on nitpicking and blaming these players for anything imaginable. Also some think that every defenseman should hit like Commodore. That just isn't realistic.

Note that there is a difference between being critical of a play or a game and actually carrying further. Many "fans" here have done just that. I think it is important to point out just how strong the support is for these two young outstanding players among the true Sioux fans.

I'm looking forward to a great 2007-2008. :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note that there is a difference between being critical of a play or a game and actually carrying further. Many "fans" here have done just that.

As a self-described "critical fan" I agree that things seem to be getting taken a bit far. Even by my demented standards. (although I will defend my stance that you don't need to constantly blow sunshine up the players' arses to be considered a "true fan.") Good post, siouxnami; and good timing.

Also some think that every defenseman should hit like Commodore. That just isn't realistic.

vaht? :D:(

Very nice post. I have been dissapointed with Lee and Finley's play at times, which most of us have been, but they are both great defensemen and we would be in a hurt bag next year without them. Most of us understand that they both came in straight out of high school, and that there was going to be some growing pains, but I thought they both played solid this season, especially the second half. As Sioux fans, we support ALL of our players. That doesn't mean we can't be dissapointed if a player has a bad game or two, but we still support them. The criticism of Lee and Finley has been pretty over the top this year, and at times we as Sioux fans were too focused on finding a scapegoat for the poor first half. I don't think it is any coincidence that as Lee and Finley (and our entire d-corp for that matter) started to gel and play better as a group, the team took off and we all know that led to St. Louis. I hope to see these boys in a Sioux sweater for another year standing on the blue line. Go Fighting Sioux!!! #8 in '08

I think you "Fans" have been more negative in your defense of them - then the ones that have been honest about what they have seen

I don't want either to leave & hope they keep improving (& think they have) but I'm sorry that they were hyped so much out of HS & have not been Stars like many others in their age group

I will say Lee & his fans (& I hear his Dad) have had a arrogance that they could learn alot from the Duncan's

I hope by the time they are Seniors, they can earn the respect, so many of you want to demand

A year or two in the USHL would have toughened both of them up & being they are so young, they would of been a couple yrs older by the time they were seniors here (& I think they would have been Stars ...sooner - as in Fr., Soph., Jr. here)

Having Chorney & Bina on the PP was the right move .......without a doubt

I should just shut up but this paragraph is ridiculus :D

Brian Lee is the offensive defensman that the Sioux are very fortunate to have. When you look at his scoring totals from his first 2 seasons you realize just how outstanding he has been. When you list the players that have scored more points you realize that they are among the greatest defensemen in Sioux history. I can't remember the Sioux powerplay being better than it has been recently and Lee is a big part of that. We are lucky to have him.

I think both have potential to be DOMINATE / TOP TIER Defensemen - But neither have done that yet IMO

I think you "Fans" have been more negative in your defense of them - then the ones that have been honest about what they have seen

I don't want either to leave & hope they keep improving (& think they have) but I'm sorry that they were hyped so much out of HS & have not been Stars like many others in their age group

I will say Lee & his fans (& I hear his Dad) have had a arrogance that they could learn alot from the Duncan's

I hope by the time they are Seniors, they can earn the respect, so many of you want to demand

A year or two in the USHL would have toughened both of them up & being they are so young, they would of been a couple yrs older by the time they were seniors here (& I think they would have been Stars ...sooner - as in Fr., Soph., Jr. here)

Having Chorney & Bina on the PP was the right move .......without a doubt

I have never seen this arrogance from Brian that you speak of. As for his dad, that may be another story, and really isn't Brian's fault, if there's any truth to it.

It's time to give these deserving players some love. We know that players and those close to them sometimes read this board, so getting a fair representation of what the fans think should be important.

Joe Finley, as he did almost all season led the Sioux in +/- with a +19, better than any other player including the DOT line members. This is because he played an intelligent positional game. We as fans don't have the right to insist what type of player Finley is. While he made some big hits, his outstanding positioning is what made him so valuable and so able to stop the other team. Further towards the end of the season we saw him crashing the net like a scorer. His slap shot is something to be feared. All he accomplished he had to do while having absolutely bogus penalties called.

Too much crap has been posted about these players and for some reason it just keeps coming. A number of true fans such as Redwing and myself have continually pointed out the contributions these players have made. Yet certain posters continue to pile on. What I have realized is that many of these posters have never said anything positive and rarely post. I also believe some to actually be fans of opposing teams just looking to pile on. Further, the true fans, those that traveled to St. Louis, Denver, an Minneapolis overwhelmingly respect these players for their contributions, but some insist on nitpicking and blaming these players for anything imaginable. Also some think that every defenseman should hit like Commodore. That just isn't realistic.

Note that there is a difference between being critical of a play or a game and actually carrying further. Many "fans" here have done just that. I think it is important to point out just how strong the support is for these two young outstanding players among the true Sioux fans.

I'm looking forward to a great 2007-2008. :D

Thank you for a nice positive post. I was growing tired of the gripes!

I don't know about him personally being arrogant but as a young player - he (I think) thought he was better than he really was

& many (even me) wanted him to be that good - that early

I do think it is mostly about being so young (Boy in a potential MANS body) & he has always shown the glimpses of being a Great One

& as fast as we lose the Great ones we expect too much to quickly from some

I don't think he/she was making any reference to you personally (sorry siouxpervillian - don't know your gender so don't want to offend). I think that they were pointing out that those who know Brian and his family realize that your statement is completely untrue.

EDIT - I don't know him or his family, so I cannot comment about it with any certainty, but I usually give our players some credit, it seems Hakstol recruits good character people.

I agree with siouxnami that it is time to send some love to Brian Lee and Joe Finley.

Through the year I have read the bashing these two guys have received and haven't commented on it one way or the other. Do all the bashers out there really think that Brian and Joe came here to slack? Somehow, I dont think that they put on the Sioux jersey and said "OK, we are Sioux players, lets go out there and play a mediocre game". I believe they have tried to be the best they can be. It maybe didnt work out that way, but I honestly think they have tried.

Brian and Joe, I hope to see you back at UND next year.

Siouxnami

So your saying that Living In Minn. you have lost your ND Nice :D:p

which reminds me of a JOKE

Creation of North Dakota

>>

>>Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for six days.

>>Eventually, Michael the Archangel found Him, resting on the seventh day.

>>He inquired of God, "Where have You been?"

>>

>>God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards

>>through the clouds, "Look Michael, look what I've made!"

>>

>>Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said,"What is it?"

>>

>>"It's a planet," replied God, and I've put life on it. I'm going to

>>call it Earth, and it's going to be a great place of balance."

>>

>>"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

>>

>>God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth, "For example,

>>northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while

>>southern Europe is going to be poor; the Middle East over there will

>>be a hot spot. And over there I've placed a continent of white people,

>>while over here is a continent of black people." God continued,

>>pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot and

>>arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

>>

>>The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a large land

>>mass and said, "What's that one?"

>>

>>"Ah," said God. "That's North Dakota, the most glorious place on Earth.

>>There are beautiful lakes, rivers, sunsets and rolling hills. The

>>people from North Dakota are going to be modest, intelligent and

>>humorous and they are going to be found traveling the world. They will

>>be extremely sociable, hard working and high achieving, and they will

>>be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace."

>>

>>Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, "What

>>about balance, God? You said there would be balance!"

>>

>>God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the idiots I'm putting around

>>them in Montana, Minnesota and South Dakota."

>>

:p:(

(although I will defend my stance that you don't need to constantly blow sunshine up the players' arses to be considered a "true fan.") Good post, siouxnami; and good timing.

Again I doubt these players take much of what is said on this board all that serious either. I am also sure pretty sure if we sat here day after day and begged Toews to stay at UND it's not going to help him stay.

I guess your definition of a "true" fan and mine differ a bit.

:D

have to disagree with siouxnami on the that only true fans travel to all away series he mentioned. couldnt be farther off the truth. not everyone is fortunate to be able to travel for many reasons so that doesnt make you NOT a true fan. and i hope lee stays so he can improve before he goes with the big boys. our PP was great with bina and chorney as a the 1st unit and genoway and lee on the 2nd unit for the 2nd half of the year. heres to both staying, neither or ready first off and the more expereice on the blueline the better!! GO SIOUX

Again I doubt these players take much of what is said on this board all that serious either. I am also sure pretty sure if we sat here day after day and begged Toews to stay at UND it's not going to help him stay.

yes they all read it but you better also take it with a grain of salt, we are friken fans who think we know everything, they have to laugh at half of this stuff :D and if they do take it personally then they need to grow a sack and good luck handling pressure in the nhl

Well then this probably isn't a thread for you... :(

Exactly. There are plenty of other threads for you to spout your great insights into hockey and the Lee family dynamic. Lee, his fans and his dad are arrogent?? I agree, that is by far the most ridiculous comment I have seen posted in quite a while.

Fetch all of your points are valid and reasonable. Only the handful of gopher fans that post here are not Fighting Sioux fans.

I for one hope that #2 and #22 both improve their play next year just like I would expect the rest of the returning players to. :D