SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my ranking: Chorney, Bina, Radke, Genoway, Jones, Lee or Finley.

I use skill level and overall hockey sense as my greatest criteria.

This sounds like a fun game: Chorney (hands down), Bina, Genoway, Jones, Finley Lee, Radke

I rank them all number one. :lol:

I don't really like ranking in that fashion because it belittles what those who aren't #1 or #2 bring to the team.

I think Lee is valuable the same as I feel about Chorney, Radke, Finley, or even Marto. Yes, I said Marto not even having seen him play a single game other than in high school.

Each player is a gear in a machine. Sometimes they miss a cog or two but they catch again and keep the machine turning. Throw out a gear and the machine doesn't run as well, or even at all.

So, Lives to play, I don't need to subject any sort of ranking. I like them all. Period. I don't need to have a "worst" anybody on my team. I don't look for reasons to dislike. It makes my life happier.

Keep on hatin', Lives to play. Nothing you say will change my unfaltering support of Hakstol and Co., Lee, Finley, (soon) LaPoint, and Malone.

I agree, they're all special in there own way. I won't rank from #1 to #7 or whatever, but I will list who I thought was the best defenseman for the entire season. Taylor Chorney, in my opinion was rock solid the best performer night in and night out with Robbie Bina a very close second.

Down the stretch Joe Finley was doing a great job. The only thing that stands out was the (non) penalty he had, which is a shame. He was very reliable the whole second half of the season and wasn't the Joe Finley from the past. All our defensemen played excellently down the stretch and it's hard to rank them, they are all so close, and it really discredits who you put at the bottom because everyone was a huge part of our success this past season.

Down the stretch Joe Finley was doing a great job. The only thing that stands out was the (non) penalty he had, which is a shame. He was very reliable the whole second half of the season and wasn't the Joe Finley from the past. All our defensemen played excellently down the stretch and it's hard to rank them, they are all so close, and it really discredits who you put at the bottom because everyone was a huge part of our success this past season.

I'll agree that Finley played well all year. He had a great plus and minus.

The knock to him is that he doesn't use his size to his advantage in the physical aspects of the game. However his size works against him because with his height he's going to draw a lot of penalties.

I'll agree that Finley played well all year. He had a great plus and minus.

The knock to him is that he doesn't use his size to his advantage in the physical aspects of the game. However his size works against him because with his height he's going to draw a lot of penalties.

watch out for a break out year from fins if the trend contiunues for big physical sioux defensemen in their 3rd year..........greene,smaby and jones all broke out to name a recent trio.......this D core will be great this season without brian lee and even better with him of course but i dont see that being the case...

Well I remember when Finley used his size on a foolish Maine player and started dragging him around on the ice like he was a toy :D

HAHA, I remember trying not to fall out of the upper bowl of the Ralph watching that that night because I was laughing so hard.

Joe doesn't always use his size, though I think that he got frustrated at the start of last season because everytime he touched someone he got called for an elbow to the head. I think we just need to start playing teams with people who go above Joe's elbow! :lol:

HAHA, I remember trying not to fall out of the upper bowl of the Ralph watching that that night because I was laughing so hard.

Joe doesn't always use his size, though I think that he got frustrated at the start of last season because everytime he touched someone he got called for an elbow to the head. I think we just need to start playing teams with people who go above Joe's elbow! :lol:

Unfortunately Maine got the last laugh that weekend.... :D

Well I remember when Finley used his size on a foolish Maine player and started dragging him around on the ice like he was a toy :lol:

The disclaimer to this play is that Big Joe did this after the whistle, rather than laying the smack down during live action. It was TJ that delivered the big hit that sent the Maine player over the boards and into our bench......a hit that we need to see Big Joe attempting to make.

from brads blog it sounds like frattin will be coming in this fall as he said that in response to a question regarding fowards coming in this fall. we lose toews,porter and fabian from every night players and add frattin,hextall,trupp,malone and hamilton coming off the redshirt.........thats a lot of forwards with what we still have plus martens and forney who were not in the line up much like foyt last year......SIOUXNAMI, i need a roster breakdown so we can get a good look at this coming roster (with or without brian lee) thanks NAMI :ohmy:

wait, if lee comes back that likely moves genoway to forward making our forward battle even crazier than it is..............something has to give somehow as 3-4 players every night wont be to happy sitting in the press box

from brads blog it sounds like frattin will be coming in this fall as he said that in response to a question regarding fowards coming in this fall. we lose toews,porter and fabian from every night players and add frattin,hextall,trupp,malone and hamilton coming off the redshirt.........thats a lot of forwards with what we still have plus martens and forney who were not in the line up much like foyt last year......SIOUXNAMI, i need a roster breakdown so we can get a good look at this coming roster (with or without brian lee) thanks NAMI :ohmy:

wait, if lee comes back that likely moves genoway to forward making our forward battle even crazier than it is..............something has to give somehow as 3-4 players every night wont be to happy sitting in the press box

You can keep Hamilton off the list, he's not on the team. If Lee stays, I wouldn't be surprised to see Genoway on the second line. The reason I am saying this is because along with Oshie, Duncan, VandeVelde, and Watkins, he has proven that he can play well in the WCHA on a consistent basis. Most of the other current fowards on the team haven't done so and have been inconsistent. The other guy to wing the top line that I could see would be Miller or Frattin, because Frattin appears to be a sniper. Although I think Forney has a lot of potential, I think that the fact he is coming back from surgery and was to skinny last year puts him at to much of a flight risk on one of the top two lines.

You can keep Hamilton off the list, he's not on the team. If Lee stays, I wouldn't be surprised to see Genoway on the second line. The reason I am saying this is because along with Oshie, Duncan, VandeVelde, and Watkins, he has proven that he can play well in the WCHA on a consistent basis. Most of the other current fowards on the team haven't done so and have been inconsistent. The other guy to wing the top line that I could see would be Miller or Frattin, because Frattin appears to be a sniper. Although I think Forney has a lot of potential, I think that the fact he is coming back from surgery and was to skinny last year puts him at to much of a flight risk on one of the top two lines.

Bring in Jason Gregoire next year, and we win number 8 for sure. I think this team needs him, he will be a gem, what a gift from Denver, I will send the pioneers my deepest sympathy with Jason opting out to be a pioneer.

Bring in Jason Gregoire next year, and we win number 8 for sure. I think this team needs him, he will be a gem, what a gift from Denver, I will send the pioneers my deepest sympathy with Jason opting out to be a pioneer.

i agree that we got one hell of a player in gregoire for sure. although one player doesnt guarentee you a nca title i know what you are saying. i would love to see him this fall and who knows, maybe we will but as of now i see him in 08

Don't you think your expectations are a bit high. We didn't win a championship with Parise or Toews. Winning a Championship is a crapshoot. You have to have a lot of things go right, including team chemistry. I'm not saying we won't win one with him, but don't you think Hakstol would be bringing him in this year if he thought he could add an element the Sioux need and is ready to make an impact?

Gregoire would be a making a huge step coming in this year because he hasn't played a full season in the USHL. I think if he didn't get injured you could see him coming in and they could hold out on Hextall, but Frattin, Malone, and Trupp have all played a full year or two of juniors. Also remember that you're tight on roster spots. If Duncan and Oshie would've have left you might have seen Gregoire come in.

ok, well that makes room i would assume for frattin coming in if hamilton is gone............kind of i guess

16 forwards counting genoway, 12 forwards play each night with 6 defensemen and 2 goalies. that leaves 4 non dressed forwards. martens may be one for the most part with 3 others.......if lee leaves then that makes it 3 non dressed forwards per game so maybe thats saying something about lee.

returning

oshie

duncan

vandevelde

kozek

watkins

radke

forney

martens

miller

zajac

kaip

genoway (assuming he would be a forward if lee comes back)

incomingas of now

hextall

trupp

malone

frattin

defense

chorney

finley

bina

jones

lee (?)

genoway (if lee leaves)

incoming

lapoint

marto

My predictions for incoming in fall of ....

2007 - Marto, LaPoint, Trupp, Hextall, Malone, Frattin

2008 - Eidsness, Blood, Gleason, Bruneteau, Cichy, Gregoire, (plus same names that haven't been formally announced yet)

My predicted 2007-2008 roster:

G: Lamoureux, Grieco, Walski

D: Chorney, Jones, Lee, Finley, Bina, Genoway, Marto, LaPoint

F: Duncan, Oshie, Watkins, Kozek, Kaip, VandeVelde, Zajac, Martens, Miller, Forney, Radke, Trupp, Hextall, Malone, Frattin

The only two questions I still have are

(1) is Lee with the team or in the Ottawa system, and

(2) does Radke play forward or defense if Lee is gone.