SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

The downside to this is that the staff has a lot of time invested in Genoway at D - you would be essentially "throwing that away" if he plays forward next year.

Some would argue he was a top 4 D at the end of the season. Moving him to F is a last/drastic resort.

he has already proven he can play both. he will only be a sophmore, this year he really wasnt gona play much D but he shined over radke and took the spot. whatever, this is a great problem to have mo matter how we look at it. and i guess we wont know much til lee decides

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you dont sit any of the 7 mentioned, genoway plays forward, hes not sitting and neither will the other 6

Let's assume Toews leaves but that's all. Which of these forwards do you sit:

Oshie, Duncan, Trupp

Watkins, VanDeVelde, Forney

Kaip, Zajak, Miller

Hextall, Malone, Kozek

Hamilton, Martens, Radke

This assumes that Forney shows why he was a top draft pick and also that both Malone and Hextall come in.

I have no idea how good Hamilton so I put him on the bench knowing full well he may be very good and beat out some someone.

I think Genoway makes more of an impact at defense than forwward. If Lee and Finley stay and LaPoint is as good as his stats (Number 2 scoring defenseman in the USHL, 6'4" 185lbs) then it will either be Jones or Genoway that sits along with Marto.

My number one concern for next year since the announcement of Oshie, Chorney, and Duncan is goaltending. We need Greico to step up and be able to play 10-15 games without a drop off from Phil. Greico is young so hopefully he can learn good practice habits and even though he may not be the Number 1 goalie, he needs to be able to step in at any time and do it well.

Oshie, Duncan, Trupp

Kaip, Zajak, Miller

Hextall, Malone, Kozek

Hamilton, Martens, Radke

This assumes that Forney shows why he was a top draft pick and also that both Malone and Hextall come in.

I have no idea how good Hamilton so I put him on the bench knowing full well he may be very good and beat out some someone.

I think Genoway makes more of an impact at defense than forwward. If Lee and Finley stay and LaPoint is as good as his stats (Number 2 scoring defenseman in the USHL, 6'4" 185lbs) then it will either be Jones or Genoway that sits along with Marto.

My number one concern for next year since the announcement of Oshie, Chorney, and Duncan is goaltending. We need Greico to step up and be able to play 10-15 games without a drop off from Phil. Greico is young so hopefully he can learn good practice habits and even though he may not be the Number 1 goalie, he needs to be able to step in at any time and do it well.

forney is a big ?? right now, its all about health, if hes healthy he will be in and maybe your bottom 3 sit, just so hard to even predict now with not knowing exactly whos coming in for sure. but thats what makes the off season :glare:

I had posted this on another thread

Jake Marto gets some mention here (see CMM Defensive Players of the Week) http://ushl.com/news/0607/20070402weekly.pdf

also see This on Brett Bruneteau & Jake

QUARTET MAKING MUSIC IN LANCERS' LAST FIVE

A quartet of Lancers, including three forwards and a defenseman, have paced the team's offense in the club's last five games. Forwards Mark Olver, Andrew Conboy, Barry Almeida, and defenseman Jake Marto each have collected five points during the team's last quintet of games. Olver and Matt Thurber have each scored three goals to lead the team in goal scoring during the Lancers' last five contests, while Marto and Almeida each have four assists to pace the team in that category. Marto has also earned a plus-eight plus/minus rating at the same time. Both of Conboy's goals have come on the power play, and Brett Bruneteau and Jarmo Jokila each have game-winning overtime goals during that period. In net, Michal Valent has posted a perfect 3-0-0 record, a stingy 1.61 goals-against-average, and an impressive .933 save percentage.

here: http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3443472

Yes I am a Jake Fan & think you are wrong - He handles the puck well & can bring it up or break it out (maybe even better than some of the hyped players )

He has been playing better all season as far as offense goes - he will eventually surprise a few people in college as his confidence gets there - as far as skating he would now amaze you, if you think he will not be as good as --- well lets just say some :glare:

These are his current stats http://www.lancers.com/leagues/rosters_pro...playerID=158550

I'm a believer in USHL type programs to develop players for a couple yrs & I believe National Championships come from teams with 3 & 4 yr players more often than 1 or 2 yr Stars

Oshie, Duncan, Trupp

Kaip, Zajak, Miller

Hextall, Malone, Kozek

Hamilton, Martens, Radke

If our only off-season loss is Toews, I think that would delay Malone and/or Hextall coming in for a year. If by some miracle Toews decides to stick around for his junior year, then I would guess that both of those forwards don't come in until 08, especially if Genoway is going to be used as a forward.

Now, if Lee or Finley decide to go as well, then that opens up a dman slot for Genoway, which means that either Malone or Hextall can come in this fall.

It all will come down to the decisions of Toews, Finley, and Lee. Once those 3 decide what they are doing, then Hakstol will know which recruits can come in. I still think that both Marto and LaPoint come in regardless though.

I think we will see noticeable improvement out of Grieco next season. He showed promise in the home SCSU series, and we have to remember that he was a very young frosh thrown into a starter role. He will be fine.

If I had my way, I would roll this set up.

I always look for a playmaker, a finisher, and a banger on each scoring line. If you don't have a banger that is skilled enough to play on the scoring line, you substitute the banger with a flyer, someone who can flat out skate.

The checking line needs puck protection experts who can play the body and dominate the corners and the boards.

Some guys can play multiple roles ie Oshie can do all of the above. Duncs can both make plays and finish.

Help me classify the players into those categories.

Aside from keeping osh and duncs together and watty and vandy together, I think other players can fill in and play.

Trupp is clearly a playmaker, are hextall and malone power forward types or more speedy finishers?

All this talk - I just can't wait to see some of these guys in green - the future looks bright - there really should be Hockey here thru the end of May & then take a couple months off & then crank er up again :glare:

I like baseball & every yr I try to get interested in the Twins - BUT it is tough to stay enthused (if we had baseball like the RedHawks) it would help

So is Trupp the only frosh that I can have 30 point expectations for?

Big question is who can skate with Osh and Duncs? Kozek? Forney? Malone?

What about a where them out line Watkins, Vandy and Kaip

We can roll four lines, but that fourth line really only skates every tenth shift, so about two shifts a period. If we roll 15 shifts per period, that's 5 shifts for line 1, 4 shifts each for lines 2 and 3 and 2 shifts for line 4. Of course that's assuming no special teams.

how do we sit guys who were part of a frozen four team and how do we develop young studs with such limited ice time? You juggle line combos early in the year, lose a few games, and get your act together to make it to the frozen four every year!

So is Trupp the only frosh that I can have 30 point expectations for?

Big question is who can skate with Osh and Duncs? Kozek? Forney? Malone?

What about a where them out line Watkins, Vandy and Kaip

We can roll four lines, but that fourth line really only skates every tenth shift, so about two shifts a period. If we roll 15 shifts per period, that's 5 shifts for line 1, 4 shifts each for lines 2 and 3 and 2 shifts for line 4. Of course that's assuming no special teams.

how do we sit guys who were part of a frozen four team and how do we develop young studs with such limited ice time? You juggle line combos early in the year, lose a few games, and get your act together to make it to the frozen four every year!

stick trupp with the DO...or vande for size

Some miscellaneous notes:

Hextall, according to Heisenberg is a 2008 recruit.

I don't think there is any way Bruneteau or Blood suit up for the Sioux next fall. There's simply no room.

I think Hamilton's situation is going to be intriguing. Right now, on paper, I think he's going to struggle for ice time. From what I've seen of Hamilton and what I saw from Martens last season, I'd probably play Martens over Hamilton.

I do not like the situation that is developing with our D. If Lee and Finley stay (and Chorney is serious about staying...anything's possible re: Bochenski) we have a SERIOUS logjam at D. Sure, our D will be seriously good next year, but who would you sit to play LaPoint? Wait... I already know the answer: Lee or Finley. Ok, seriously, who would you sit? I like our 6 as is. Having Marto as the 7 is a good insurance policy, but I wouldn't bench LaPoint for the world.

Some miscellaneous notes:

Hextall, according to Heisenberg is a 2008 recruit.

I don't think there is any way Bruneteau or Blood suit up for the Sioux next fall. There's simply no room.

I think Hamilton's situation is going to be intriguing. Right now, on paper, I think he's going to struggle for ice time. From what I've seen of Hamilton and what I saw from Martens last season, I'd probably play Martens over Hamilton.

I do not like the situation that is developing with our D. If Lee and Finley stay (and Chorney is serious about staying...anything's possible re: Bochenski) we have a SERIOUS logjam at D. Sure, our D will be seriously good next year, but who would you sit to play LaPoint? Wait... I already know the answer: Lee or Finley. Ok, seriously, who would you sit? I like our 6 as is. Having Marto as the 7 is a good insurance policy, but I wouldn't bench LaPoint for the world.

if all d stay lapoint plays and genoway goes to forward, if lee leaves both genoway and lapoint play with marto as 7th d man....i love that problem, ive said this many times, genoway can play both positions very very well so thats not a big deal..he will play no matter what position as he proved that with a very solid freshman year...

My only concern with Trupp centering Oshie and Duncan is size and defensive ability. Toews was so strong on his skates and a great two way player. Your first line center has to be able to play defense as well as be the pivot. Could Trupp hold his own with Okposo??? I would be more tempted to move Oshie back to Center and move up Kozek or Forney on the wing. I trust the NHL scouts on those guys.

How about:

Osh centering Duncs and Kozek

Trupp centering Kaip and Forney

Vandy centering Watkins and Zajac

Miller, Martens, Radke, Hamilton duke it out for fourth line

Hextall and Malone come in 2008

Defense, still just stacked

If Lee goes:

Chorney and Lapointe

Finley and Bina

Genoway and Jones

Marto rotates in for experience, as chorney and finley will be gone after next year.

what from him not where at. and I would like to know too.

yeah.i get that..he would have to answer that obviously, i was assuming he saw him play while at uaa a couple years back im assuming so maybe he can say what type of player he is...

seems like a grinder player with these numbers but i guess who really puts up good numbers at uaa

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=84780

My only concern with Trupp centering Oshie and Duncan is size and defensive ability. Toews was so strong on his skates and a great two way player. Your first line center has to be able to play defense as well as be the pivot. Could Trupp hold his own with Okposo??? I would be more tempted to move Oshie back to Center and move up Kozek or Forney on the wing. I trust the NHL scouts on those guys.

How about:

If Lee goes:

Chorney and Lapointe

Finley and Bina

Genoway and Jones

Marto rotates in for experience, as chorney and finley will be gone after next year.

i say osh center trupp and duncs, i think malone comes in next year as well, hextall in 08

How about:

If Lee goes:

Chorney and Lapointe

Finley and Bina

Genoway and Jones

malone will be in next year, and i think hextall will duke it out for fourth

Proudsioux

I can't help but be suspious of someone with interests like this

i like to drink. i like to drink a lot i guess. some people say im an alcohol and should go to aa but aa is for quiters. aa is for alcoholics
No wonder you don't really know him :lol:

& your 24 & calling Jake a kid :glare: No offense ....well maybe some --- but to you a kid is a REAL KID ???