SiouxSports.com Forum

Next year's roster

Chuck Schwartz

Oh, I want to give this a try. I will go sans Toews and hope badly to be proven wrong...

Duncan - Oshie - Genoway - I like Genoway hear, because he can take some defensive pressure off Oshie.

Watkins - VV - Trupp - If Trupp is healthy he can be the play maker that the second line needs.

Kozek - Kaip - Malone - Big physical Line that can score.

Radke - Zajac - Miller - No matter what the combination, due to a lack of defections this will be our best 4th in a long time.

Out: Hamilton, Martens, Hextall, Forney

Chorney - Lee

Finley - Bina

Jones - LaPoint

Out: Marto

Ouch, this is hard. Hamilton despite the numbers was a top player for AA 2 seasons ago.

Hextall will somehow get in and play a Prpich style, with potentially more scoring (good) and more penalties (bad and yes that is possible).

And Martens has showed he is a hard worker. Also recall that Martens perhaps put on more weight than anyone else on the team last off season and if he does it again this summer look for him to find a way onto a physical checking line.

Forney, I don't know, he is one of our guys so you hope for the best, I'm just not sure he'll ever be healthy.

The USHL site has Brueteau (sp) coming in next season too, but I would imagine he will be going back for one more season.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bruneteau and Hextall won't be in Grand Forks next season.

I also have a sinking suspicion that Trupp will have a similar freshman year that Forney had. Both are going to be great players. Forney showed signs of his talent last season but he battled injury all season long.

Any way you cut it this is looking to be a mess. Sure, talent from top to bottom, that's for sure, but no where to play them.

And I do believe that at least for next season, Martens, Hamilton, Marto, and perhaps one or two others will be the odd men out.

I think Bruneteau and Hextall won't be in Grand Forks next season.

I also have a sinking suspicion that Trupp will have a similar freshman year that Forney had. Both are going to be great players. Forney showed signs of his talent last season but he battled injury all season long.

Of the 4 forward recruits that could come in this fall (Trupp, Malone, Hextall, Bruneteau), I think that only 2 will come in, and Trupp is guaranteed one of the spots. I believe that Bruneteau will for sure be heading back to the USHL for another season, so that leaves either Hextall or Malone. Now, if by some miracle Toews stays, I almost think that it would be best if both played in juniors for another season. They would progress more playing a full schedule of games in juniors rather than just practicing with the Sioux.

I disagree about Trupp. He had his injury at the end of last season and after he returned this season, he was back to the dominant player that he was pre-injury. He seemed to have a small injury in the playoffs this year, but he was back on the ice by the last game. I think he could be a very good frosh forward for the Sioux next season. I also see Forney being a regular in the lineup (if he can avoid injuries).

Of the 4 forward recruits that could come in this fall (Trupp, Malone, Hextall, Bruneteau), I think that only 2 will come in, and Trupp is guaranteed one of the spots. I believe that Bruneteau will for sure be heading back to the USHL for another season, so that leaves either Hextall or Malone. Now, if by some miracle Toews stays, I almost think that it would be best if both played in juniors for another season. They would progress more playing a full schedule of games in juniors rather than just practicing with the Sioux.

I disagree about Trupp. He had his injury at the end of last season and after he returned this season, he was back to the dominant player that he was pre-injury. He seemed to have a small injury in the playoffs this year, but he was back on the ice by the last game. I think he could be a very good frosh forward for the Sioux next season. I also see Forney being a regular in the lineup (if he can avoid injuries).

I was looking at Bruneteau and Malones numbers and they were eye popping at all but wasn't Bruneteau on a horrible team?

Sounds like players to build a good foundation around though. From what I have read it appears that Trupp could be a travis zajac or Duncan type players score a ton of points and fly under the radar.

Omaha actually had a pretty good team this year so that isnt the excuse for Bruneteau's numbers. But in the end numbers arent always the best indicator for how well a player will peform. Last season VandeVelde didnt have eye popping numbers in Lincoln.

and he didnt have eye popping numbers his freshman year as well, i like vandys game so im not slamming him just making a counter point. another great example is kozek, he tore it up in the bchl and not much so far. hope he can earn himself a top 2 line job and get those numbers up!

I've previously stated before that junior stats are not always a determinate into how much potentential/talent a player has. With Bruneteau, he was out for a few games this year whereas some of the guys ahead of him played in more games. Also, the guys ahead of him are older in which Bruneteau was the top 89 scorer on his team. Bruneteau and Malone are still some of the best 89 birthdates in the league. Malone was also out for a few games this year. This doesn't factor in the line they were playing or however long it took for them to get back from an injury. If the coaches didn't feel they had the ability, they wouldn't have recruited either of them.

I've previously stated before that junior stats are not always a determinate into how much potentential/talent a player has. With Bruneteau, he was out for a few games this year whereas some of the guys ahead of him played in more games. Also, the guys ahead of him are older in which Bruneteau was the top 89 scorer on his team. Bruneteau and Malone are still some of the best 89 birthdates in the league. Malone was also out for a few games this year. This doesn't factor in the line they were playing or however long it took for them to get back from an injury. If the coaches didn't feel they had the ability, they wouldn't have recruited either of them.

EXACTLY!!

Omaha actually had a pretty good team this year so that isnt the excuse for Bruneteau's numbers. But in the end numbers arent always the best indicator for how well a player will peform. Last season VandeVelde didnt have eye popping numbers in Lincoln.

Yeah good point I know he was heavily recruited from what I read so I am sure he will be a good addition to the Sioux line up.

The Dutchman and Watkins did not play together early in the year...when the Sioux were bad! We went on our roll when the top 2 lines were solidified with DOT and W VV P. I agree that Vandy is good on the faceoffs and is a hard working player. The goals he scored this year were more luck than skill, and for that reason I do not place him with Oshie and Duncs. I don't believe he can play with those two guys. He plays a very different style than they do. You have to put guys together who can play together. Vandy had 3 goals last year and 2 were garbage collections against SCSU at the final five. I am not knocking him, he is a good role player who might develop some scoring. Right now, he is a banger, puck possession player. Let's keep him on that.

I am not opposed to the possibility of Genoway filling out that first line. He showed some serious play making ability. We could roll a more scoring oriented second line and just kill 'em with the third line. I like the experiment with Trupp and Kozek. Let's see if they can reproduce the BC league scoring.

something like:

Oshie, Duncan and Genoway

Kozek, Trupp and Forney

Watkins, Vandevelde and Kaip

Zajac, Miller and Malone

The Dutchman and Watkins did not play together early in the year...when the Sioux were bad! We went on our roll when the top 2 lines were solidified with DOT and W VV P. I agree that Vandy is good on the faceoffs and is a hard working player. The goals he scored this year were more luck than skill, and for that reason I do not place him with Oshie and Duncs. I don't believe he can play with those two guys. He plays a very different style than they do. You have to put guys together who can play together. Vandy had 3 goals last year and 2 were garbage collections against SCSU at the final five. I am not knocking him, he is a good role player who might develop some scoring. Right now, he is a banger, puck possession player. Let's keep him on that.

I'm sure there are other qualified candidates to play with the DO duo right now, but from what you say above I would think VV could be a good player. DO don't need a goal scorer to play with them. They are able to score goals on their own. One of attributes of the DOT line from what I saw was their ability to control the puck and cycle and create opportunities from the boards and behind the net. IMO VV showed some ability to do that at the end of the season playing with Porter and Watkins. And if he can get to the front of the net and clean up some garbage, it seems conceivable that he could work out well on that line.

If you put someone like Trupp on that line, it seems to me the whole complexion of how they play will change. Will that be for worse or better? I don't know. Might work out just fine.

Actually, VV's goals came on mopping up rebounds and garbage type goals. His real deal was those passes to set up goals or scoring chances and faceoffs. To that end, I think he'd be a great fit on the DO line. He doesn't have to be a flashy goal scorer on that line. He has Oshie and Duncan to do that for him. All he needs to do is win the faceoffs, get the puck to Duncan or Oshie and be there to mop up if Duncan or Oshie don't find the twine with their shot.

Let's play the hypothetical game....In this game, Toews is a Blackhawk and Lee is a Senator for 07-08, not Sioux. Finley is staying. Remember that Porter and Fabian aren't here anymore.

Is our 07-08 team better than the 06-07 team (the 2nd half team)?

I'm really liking our recruits, so far. The added young talent, plus the experience of the guys staying should overcome the loss of our boys leaving. However, it will be another season where we take the beginning/mid-season to gel before we make another playoff push.

My thoughts are that it will be UND and DU playing for the WCHA title. Just my $.02

Actually, VV's goals came on mopping up rebounds and garbage type goals. His real deal was those passes to set up goals or scoring chances and faceoffs. To that end, I think he'd be a great fit on the DO line. He doesn't have to be a flashy goal scorer on that line. He has Oshie and Duncan to do that for him. All he needs to do is win the faceoffs, get the puck to Duncan or Oshie and be there to mop up if Duncan or Oshie don't find the twine with their shot.

I think some have underestimated Vande Velde's scoring ability. I have watched him since he was a squirt, and he is a natural goal scorer. Anyone who saw him his senior year at Moorhead or in the state tourney would recognize that. He has great hands, is a very good stickhandler and has a great wrist shot, particularly in tight spaces. He may not be a Bochenski, but there are similarities. He is not super fast, but he is fast enough for this level. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people. His struggles to score goals this year were a combination of playing on a checking line early and the transition from juniors to college. He's going to be fine. I will be suprised if he isn't more of a goal scoring threat than Watkins and Kozek, who both have talent.

I too watched him a lot the end of this yr - what he lacks in speed he sure makes up for in strength & I bet he gets a lot better in both - That one Final 5 game of his - he looked great - maybe a little luck in some bounces, but I think with his smartness for position (Like Bucks) - he will get luckier & luckier :D

My thoughts are that it will be UND and DU playing for the WCHA title. Just my $.02

As always, Minnesota will be the team to beat. DU will be good but there have been rumblings that Peter Manino may be leaving for the pros. If that happens they will not be nearly as formidable. The teams with steady goaltending will prevail. MN/ND/DU/CC/MT will all have solid goaltending baring injury. Too soon to make any predictions since all the early departures have not been formalized.

i like

Duncan Oshie Trupp

Kozek Vandevelde Watkins

Forney Zajac Malone

Miller Radke Kaip

Chorney Lapoint

Bina Finley

Genoway Jones

this is assuming toews and lee both leave and then sitting in the stands we have

Hamilton Martens Marto

and i think Hextall should go back to juniors because there is no sense of him being a practice player instead of playing a full schedule in juniors.

i like

Duncan Oshie Trupp

Kozek Vandevelde Watkins

Forney Zajac Malone

Miller Radke Kaip

Chorney Lapoint

Bina Finley

Genoway Jones

this is assuming toews and lee both leave and then sitting in the stands we have

Hamilton Martens Marto

and i think Hextall should go back to juniors because there is no sense of him being a practice player instead of playing a full schedule in juniors.

I agree, I like those lines!

Let's play the hypothetical game....In this game, Toews is a Blackhawk and Lee is a Senator for 07-08, not Sioux. Finley is staying. Remember that Porter and Fabian aren't here anymore.

Is our 07-08 team better than the 06-07 team (the 2nd half team)?

I'm really liking our recruits, so far. The added young talent, plus the experience of the guys staying should overcome the loss of our boys leaving. However, it will be another season where we take the beginning/mid-season to gel before we make another playoff push.

I do like your sig... :D

The 07 team should be much better, but much different. Assuming that Toews is gone we lose 3 physical forwards with Porter and Fabian, but we will bring in a physical forward in Malone and a great playmaker in Trupp. Notice that with Toews we had both in the same player. If Toews came back this team would be just scary...

Everybody will come back with one more off season workout regiment completed and I am hopeful that will replace the lost bulk. I think VV, Martens, Kaip, Radke, Jones, Finley, and Forney should come back physically stronger. I would not be too surprised if Forney were to take a medical redshirt if he is not 100%.

Knock on wood, the Sioux should be able to roll and score with 4 lines, while playing physical. The D and Goaltending should be the strength of the team, especially if Lee returns.

3 seasons ago the team started slow with a new coach and the loss of the top line. 2 seasons ago the team started slow after the loss of a dozen seniors. Last season the team started slow after the loss of 5 key underclassmen. This year we lose a couple physical forwards and maybe our best all around player. We should be in our best position for some time (and we don't play at AA :silly:). Assuming this team improves throughout the season as just about all UND teams do, peaks for the playoffs again, and gets some meaningful contributions from freshmen, look for a #1 seed and a good chance to win it all.

Competition will be tough as always. Minnesota if they keep KO and EJ will be great, otherwise they will be good. As always it seems that goaltending will be key. Their defense will be hurting especially if they lose AG or EJ.\

Denver quietly might have had as good of a class as Minnesota, and they bring in freshman old enough to compete right away. They will be tough. Plus (gag) Gwoz is a great coach.

Tech is a big question mark. They are bringing in a good class. I think this might be the year where one of the 4 tradional bottom feeders, legitimately steps up, if so it might be Tech.

SCCC made huge strides this year and will be good in the future, but I think 2007 will be a down year. Especially if they lose Nodl. Don't forget they just lost a HUGE senior class.

Wisconsin brings in the best freshmen in Hockey, but after that, scoring looks weak. But they will have great boring defense and a good home field advantage. I'm not sold that CC will be as good as they have been.

AA, Mankato, Duluth look to be not so good... Again...

I think Minnesota will lose 2 or 3 players from Gordon, Goligoski, EF, Okposo, Wheeler, Stoa but will still be very good. I think UND loses Toews (I hope not). If so I project this finish (and no I am not a homer, this is the first time since we had Zach that I think UND is #1). If Chorney and Oshie change their minds, this changes. It's still early.

1) UND

2) Minnesota

3) Denver

4) Tech

5) SCCC

6) Wisconsin

7) CC

8) Duluth

9) Mankato

10) AA

As always, Minnesota will be the team to beat. DU will be good but there have been rumblings that Peter Manino may be leaving for the pros. If that happens they will not be nearly as formidable. The teams with steady goaltending will prevail. MN/ND/DU/CC/MT will all have solid goaltending baring injury. Too soon to make any predictions since all the early departures have not been formalized.

If EJ and AG are gone, this will be a substantial blow for the Gopher D. Along with Vannelli, they accounted for over 100 ponts last year. The returnees (Peltier, Fischer, Schack and Anderson) has less than 40 points between them.

Will they be able to get the puck out their zone next year? Fairchild is talented but he is no EJ/AG (projected CSS 5th round pick).

If EJ and AG are gone, this will be a substantial blow for the Gopher D. Along with Vannelli, they accounted for over 100 ponts last year. The returnees (Peltier, Fischer, Schack and Anderson) has less than 40 points between them.

Will they be able to get the puck out their zone next year? Fairchild is talented but he is no EJ/AG (projected CSS 5th round pick).

On thing is that Fairchild is small and if he was 6' he might have been a first round pick. I see him as being similar to Genoway, but more highly regarded for what ever that is worth.

Live to play with himself you crack me up,Kozek is olaying a role he is not used to and playing hurt(off season surgery),Miller is basically a Freshman and I am sure you have never seen Malone play. Being a Sioux fan,if you really are you can be critical of plays but you really should support all the Sioux players not just the ones you deem worthy. I for one hope all the players come back and Finley and Lee even come back for their senior years.

I didn't know Kozek was playing hurt, but that explains his stride. Actually I have seen Sioux Falls play before and Malone was an average forward on his own team. He isn't better than Moreland (FM Jets), He isn't better than Lamaroux (Tri-city), He isn't better than Fisher (Sioux falls).

Kozek was playing hurt, but that explains his stride. Actually I have seen Sioux Falls play before and Malone was an average forward on his own team. He isn't better than Moreland (FM Jets), He isn't better than Lamaroux (Tri-city), He isn't better than Fisher (Sioux falls).

:silly: What would we do with out you being here to evaluate the talent. :silly:

I didn't know Kozek was playing hurt, but that explains his stride. Actually I have seen Sioux Falls play before and Malone was an average forward on his own team. He isn't better than Moreland (FM Jets), He isn't better than Lamaroux (Tri-city), He isn't better than Fisher (Sioux falls).

Eventually I will stop responding to the dumb a$$, but until I learn.

He is a 17 year old playing on a bad team in a league dominated by 19 and 20 year olds. As a result he doesn't play on a top line or PP much. When I was in High School I was a better player than 5 year old Jonathon Toews... :silly:

Well actually probably not... :angry::silly: