SiouxSports.com Forum

It's official: Duncan one of three Hobey Baker finalists

PCM

I was thinking back to when Zach Parise was one of three finalists. I remember that being a lunch meeting. However, this is what it says on the Hobey Baker Web site:

I think last year was the first year they went to night, during the skills competition. Prior to that, it was at a luncheon. As for the question regarding everyone knowing beforehand, not sure how they do it now days. 10 years ago, I know the winner knew about winning it practically a week beforehand, to help him to prepare a speech. However, I don't think anyone else knew other than the player's coach, and a few other selected. The last one I actually watched was 2004, and it didn't appear that Zach knew that he wasn't going to win it. He was very attentive. Could just be him being respectful, but I have a feeling only Lessard and Sandy knew about it. Well, probably all of UMD as well, being the whole team was at the banquet.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it just like Duncan to give the credit away, even after being named part of the Hobey Hat Trick...

Hobey Hat Trick

Said Duncan, "It's obviously a tremendous honor for me. It's a surprise, actually. I just was honored just to be in the top 10 or even be mentioned in the same sentence as the guys who've won the Hobey Baker. The way I see it, it's just a reflection of our team. I have to give most of the credit to my teammates. They helped me get to this point, and I share this acknowledgement with them."

Nothing against Duncan, but of course he's going to say something like that. What else would you expect?

"I'd like to take all the credit for myself, but I can't......Oh who am I kidding? Yes I can. I am so great. My teammates are lucky to be playing with me. My dad played for UND you know. I'm better than him though. Heck I'm better than you, why am I even still talking to you? This interview is over. Mail me the Hobey because I'm not even wasting my time attending as we all know I'm going to win and I have much better things to do. Like look at myself in the mirror."

PCM, are you saying Dunc is more humble than Bucks? Call me skeptical if you wish, I find that very hard to believe.

That's the way he always is. He's the most humble player I've ever met.

As I said, regardless who is announced as the HB winner, as far as I am concerned Ryan Duncan IS the Hobey Baker winner, hands down!!!!

Damn, our team and we fans are lucky to have him on our team!!

Wow, so in order for Duncan to win the committee will have to vote against this:

- From PCM's article on USCHO-

"A Management Consulting major and a member of the school's Dean's List, Brown assisted in the Buddy Walk for kids with Down's syndrome, volunteered for a Kindergarten Read-To-A-Kid program and assisted in team-sponsored Christmas parties for kids."

Yikes, doesn't that just play at your heart strings? :lol: **Tear**

In any case, we all know Duncan is more focused on bringing home #8 than anything else. ;)

Way too cool and well well deserved. Duncan is the epitome of what college hockey is all about.

On October 7, 2005, my kids and I had the pleasure and good fortune to be in the Mariott in Dayton, Ohio for the Lefty McFadden Invitational. Sioux. Miami. Wayne State. Michigan State. All four teams stayed there. We rode the elevator, by happenstance, with Duncan and three Michigan State players. He got off on his floor, and the cowardly State players started chuckling, wondering "whose younger brother is that kid?" knowing that he was a Sioux player by the team gear that he was wearing. We calmly remarked that they would probably have a hard time carrying that "kid's" lunch pail, and that we would find out soon enough. They looked at us and smirked. Michigan State beat the Sioux that weekend, 3-0, after the Sioux had beaten Miami by an identical score the night before. Along with all of about 900 fans, total, we had the pleasure of watching Duncan, Toews, Chorney, Jones, Finley, and Oshie play their first NCAA games. They were young, and they were green, but it was readily apparent to us, and to everyone in the building, including those Spartan boneheads, that these guys can skate, that these guys can play hockey, and that these guys are special.

Congrats to Duncan, who is always the first to deflect all of the accolades toward his teammates. A better Hobey candidate, and a more deserving candidate, there has never been.

PCM, are you saying Dunc is more humble than Bucks? Call me skeptical if you wish, I find that very hard to believe.

Okay, you're skeptical. :lol:

Bucks was a great quote machine and one of my favorite post-game interviewees, but humble is not a word that should be associated with him. ;)

Wow, so in order for Duncan to win the committee will have to vote against this:

- From PCM's article on USCHO-

I didn't write the article. I merely contibuted a couple of quotes to it.

so who thinks that hensick's little misconduct and comments during the press conference contributed to him getting bounced from the top 3??

Well character and leadership are supposed to be criteria for the award and Hensick rolled snake eyes on those 2 last weekend.

I believe Miller and Stauber are the only goalies to win the Hobey.

Millers numbers: 31 wins, .950 save%, 1.31 GA and 10 shutouts - of course Panzer was robbed though :lol:

Staubers numbers: 34 wins, .913 save%, 2.72 GA and 5 shutouts - I would consider this a different "era" of college hockey. These numbers would be pretty average today, but in the late 80's they were very impressive.

Brown's numbers: 30 wins, .931 save %, 1.58 GA and 6 shutouts. Wins and GA lead the nation, save % and shutouts near the top.

I think Brown will still win because Notre Dame probably received more national press than anyone this year, he is a senior and very involved in the community, and there is no clear favorite among the other players - Duncan did have 12 points less than Hensick and Ehn plays in a weak league.

Ehn winning would not be that big of an upset. He did lead the nation in scoring most of the year, and he has about 20 more points than anyone else on his team. Plus being in the Air Force Academy is not exactly the easiest thing. It is basically like being in basic training and AIT for four years.

Of course I want Duncan to win and think he deserves it. He led the toughest conference in scoring, is a class act, came up big in important games (6 game winning goals), and had 10+ more points than anyone else on the team.

Tim Hennessy and Scott Swygman had Ryan Duncan on their radio show this morning. Ryan talked at length about how his father, Bob, coached him during his early years and helped him become the player he is today. Hennessy mentioned again that Duncan still calls him "Mr. Hennessy," even though Tim has told him he doesn't have to. Swygman said, "If he wins the Hobey, you'll be calling him Mr. Duncan." :lol:

No matter what Ryan Duncan will have a Big place In Fighting Sioux History - which may actually be a better award (In reality) :lol:

& really do hope he gets a shot at the NHL but at the same time hope he stays 4 yrs here

I remember seeing pics last yr of a autograph signing at the Ralph & it seemed Duncan did not have em lined up like some of the others - What a difference a yr makes

Herald hockey writer Brad Schlossman makes the case for why Ryan Duncan should win the Hoboy on his blog here.

*counts to ten and leaves after reading that moron's comments completely unrelated to Ryan Duncan or the article*

Must be a disgruntled Gopher fan still walking home from Denver.